Hope For The Hurting

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Tuesday 10-10-23 2nd. Day Of The Weekly Cycle, Tishri 24 5784, 18th. Fall Day

Today's Devotional

Read: Psalm 6 | Bible in a Year: Isaiah 34–36; Colossians 2

Download MP3
Subscribe to iTunes

My soul is in deep anguish. How long, Lord, how long? Psalm 6:3

“Most people carry scars that others can’t see or understand.” Those deeply honest words came from Major League Baseball player Andrelton Simmons, who opted out of the end of the 2020 regular season due to mental health struggles. Reflecting on his decision, Simmons felt he needed to share his story to encourage others facing similar challenges and to remind others to show compassion.

Invisible scars are those deep hurts and wounds that can’t be seen but still cause very real pain and suffering. In Psalm 6, David wrote of his own deep struggle—penning painfully raw and honest words. He was “in agony” (v. 2) and “deep anguish” (v. 3). He was “worn out” from groaning, and his bed was drenched with tears (v. 6). While David doesn’t share the cause of his suffering, many of us can relate to his pain.

We can also be encouraged by the way David responded to his pain. In the midst of his overwhelming suffering, he cried out to God. Honestly pouring out his heart, he prayed for healing (v. 2), rescue (v. 4), and mercy (v. 9). Even with the question “How long?” (v. 3) lingering over his situation, David remained confident that God “heard [his] cry for mercy” (v. 9) and would act in His time (v. 10).

Because of who our God is, there is always hope.
How can you express your struggle to God when experiencing deep emotional anguish? How have you experienced His healing, mercy, and rescue?
Heavenly Father, give me courage to express my deepest pain and to welcome Your presence and healing into my situation.

INSIGHT​

The superscription to Psalm 6 tells us it was written by David, but we’re not given any information about what prompted him to pen this poem. The Bible Knowledge Commentary says, “This is one of the penitential psalms. David had been suffering from some illness that brought him near death. It’s difficult to associate this psalm, however, with any known event in his life.”

A penitential psalm is a song of repentance, where the singer pleads for forgiveness (see vv. 2, 4), but Psalm 6 also carries the strong overtones of lament, as David sorrows over his treatment at the hands of his enemies. And for this, he also seeks God’s grace and mercy. Even though we don’t know the specific events surrounding its writing, the psalm is deeply personal, as the author bares his soul to God and the world.
Dive deeper into this study of the different Psalms.

By lisa m. samra |October 10th, 2023

Love, Walter And Debbie

Last edited: