How Can a Person Be Born Again?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bro.tan

Dec 11, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is the difference between Paraclete and the Holy Spirit?
I would say unnecessary confusion. Because you don't need to quotes a greek word that suppose to say exactly the same word as the Holy Spirit. Just say Holy Spirit and grab a quote from the Bible to help with the point. Using greek words that you can't fine in the Bible cause confusion. Its better to keep things simple.

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I would say unnecessary confusion. Because you don't need to quotes a greek word that suppose to say exactly the same word as the Holy Spirit. Just say Holy Spirit and grab a quote from the Bible to help with the point. Using greek words that you can't fine in the Bible cause confusion. Its better to keep things simple.
I find it useful to distinguish between the term Paraclete and the term Holy Spirit.

bro.tan

Dec 11, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let's take a look at man's potential if Adam didn't listen to Eve.

It's written in Psalms 82:1 God standeth in the congregation of the mighty; he judgeth among the gods. 2 How long will ye judge unjustly, and accept the persons of the wicked? Selah.

Who are these mighty ones that God judgeth among the gods? These are not pagan gods that the Lord judge. Pagan gods have no might nor any breath in them.

Take a look and see who these gods are.

Psalms 82:6 I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High. 7 But ye shall die like men, and fall like one of the princes.

These gods are men. Why? Look at the 7th verse again. But ye shall die like men, and fall like one of the princes. Spirits don't die; men do (flesh and blood). To give you a better understanding of this, take a look at what Jesus said to the Pharisees. Pay close attention what's being said.

John 10:30 I and my Father are one. 31 Then the Jews took up stones again to stone him. 32 Jesus answered them, Many good works have I showed you from my Father; for which of those works do ye stone me? 33 The Jews answered him, saying, for a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God. 34 Jesus answered them, “Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?”

Notice Jesus quoted the 6th verse in the 82nd Psalm. Now take a look at the next verse.

35 If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;

So you see, He called them gods unto whom the Word of God came. If you continue in His Word you will be in the God family, but you must endure this world to make it into the kingdom. This will take place at an appointed time in the near future.

Pay close attention to what Paul he says below.

Romans 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man has not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

Now if you look at the verse above you will say, "See, I told you we are in the spirit.” Then I would say to you. "What spirit are you in?” Remember, Jesus compares someone born of the spirit to the wind. Look closely at the verse. Notice something familiar? Take a look. "If so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you.” If the Spirit of God dwells within you, you are in the spirit. How can the spirit of God dwell within you? Before we continue in Romans 8, let's have the Master even Jesus clear this up.

John 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

Notice what the Lord says, "The flesh profiteth nothing, the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit and they are life". The spirit that dwells within you is His word. His word gives you life eternal. Paul is on the same page as the Master as always. Plain and simple you are not walking in the flesh or in other words in the ways of the world. You are walking in the spirit, or you are obeying the Word of God.

Reactions: Godslittleservant

bro.tan

Dec 11, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you have the Holy Spirit Himself dwelling in you?
Yes, if you focus more on the lesson at hand that I'm posting then you will see. Let's get back to the topic at hand.

bro.tan

Dec 11, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let's return to Romans Chapter 8 and read it with some understanding.

Romans 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his. 10 And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.

Look at the 10th verse, "And if Christ be in you". How can Christ be in you again? His word is in your mind. Look at the next part of the verse. "The body is dead because of sin". Notice what it says, the body is dead to sin? This isn't a physical death. The next verse will explain.

Romans 8:11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you. 12 Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh.

Look at verse 11, "quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you." So you see, a person is very much alive physically, but if you don't follow the word of God you are a dead man walking. Take a look at these next verses.

Romans 8:13 For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live. 14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

Paul simply means bring this sinful body under control and then you will be led by the word of God. As long as you follow the word of God you are considered a son or daughter of God. This spirit is simply the word of God, not that you are a spirit being.

After reading these verses you will see as Solomon says it is a time for everything. Take a look at what Paul is saying.

Romans 8:21 Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God. 22 For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now. 23 And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body.

Our bodies must be changed and this will not take place until the first resurrection. This is why Paul makes these statements. We ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body. He did say waiting correct?

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus spoke to Nicodemus in John 3:

What is born of water?

There are at least 3 interpretations:
1. Water is a symbol of cleansing, Ezekiel 36:
I would just like to add more verses in regard to the "water is a symbol of cleansing" interpretation. In John 4:10, Jesus said - “If you knew the gift of God, and who it is who says to you, ‘Give Me a drink,’ you would have asked Him, and He would have given you living water" and in John 4:14, we read - but whoever drinks of the water that I shall give him will never thirst. But the water that I shall give him will become in him a fountain of water springing up into everlasting life and in John 7:37-39, we read - On the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried out, saying, “If anyone thirsts, let him come to Me and drink. 38 He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.” 39 But this He spoke concerning the Spirit, whom those believing in Him would receive; for the Holy Spirit was not yet given, because Jesus was not yet glorified. The Holy Spirit is the source of living water and spiritual cleansing.

Also "water" is used in the Bible as an emblem of the word of God, and in such uses it is associated with cleansing or washing. (John 15:3; Ephesians 5:26) When we are born again, the Holy Spirit begets new life, so that we are said to become "partakers of the divine nature." (2 Peter 1:4) The new birth is brought to pass through "incorruptible seed, by the word of God, which lives and abides forever" (I Peter 1:23) and the Holy Spirit accomplishes the miracle of regeneration. (Titus 3:5)

Arthur81

Jul 9, 2023
Tampa, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In seeking the truth of God's word, we come across passages that on the surface may seem to contradict other passages of scripture. It has been the respected way to deal with such a circumstance, as is contained in the Westminster Confession of Faith -

"Chapter 1, paragraph 9 - The infallible rule of interpretation of Scripture, is the Scripture itself; and therefore, when there is a question about the true and full sense of any scripture (which is not manifold, but one), it may be searched and known by other places that speak more clearly."

We do not obtain truth by choosing the verse we like and ignoring the others, leaving the seeming contradiction in place. To know the meaning God inspired we must be able to understand the two passages as compatible with each other, using standard principles of interpretation. For example:

"I exhort therefore, first of all, that supplications, prayers, intercessions, thanksgivings, be made for all men; for kings and all that are in high place; that we may lead a tranquil and quiet life in all godliness and gravity. This is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour; who would have all men to be saved, and come to the knowledge of the truth." (1Tim 2:1-4 ASV)

When reading "all", does the context give us reason to believe it means all people who have ever lived without exception; or, does it refer to all people in the context? If I make it every person who has lived with no exceptions, it contradicts other very clear passages of God's word -

"If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." (John 15:19 KJV)
*The context is about all believers who were chosen, not just the 12 apostles

"When the Gentiles heard this, they were glad and praised the word of the Lord; and as many as had been destined for eternal life became believers." (Acts 13:48 NRSV)
*It was not ALL the Gentiles who believed, only 'as many as had been destined(ordained or appointed)

"and all who dwell on earth will worship it, every one whose name has not been written before the foundation of the world in the book of life of the Lamb that was slain." (Rev 13:8 RSV)

"And they sing a new song, saying, Worthy art thou to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and didst purchase unto God with thy blood men of every tribe, and tongue, and people, and nation," (Rev 5:9 ASV)

These 4 passages I've just quoted are quite specific about salvation was for particular people, those destined, chosen and purchased or redeemed. So how can I understand 1 Tim. 2:1-4 "all men" in a manner that does not contradict the 4 passages? The last one is where I find the answer: "men of every tribe, and tongue, and people, and nation"; which are men of various classifications or categories. Going back to the "all men" in 1 Tim. 2:1-4 there is a category mentioned after the first "all men"... "for kings and all that are in high place; that we may lead a tranquil and quiet life".

There are the categories; kings, authorities in high places and we who are the subjects. There are three categories. Therefore "all men" must mean "all categories or classes of people". That fits the context and removes the contradiction with the 4 other verses I gave.

I find it revealing that an Arminian is eager to 'read into' a passage what supports their humanistic ideas, but does not explain why "all men" must mean every person who has lived without exception. They do not try to explain why the verses of particularism don't mean what they so clearly state. Do the research on how they try to explain away John 15:19; Acts 13:48; Rev. 5:9; 13:8, and other verses of like meaning. I've given a reasonable interpretation of 1 Tim. 2:1-4 so it is not contradictory. Now, Mr. Arminian, you give a reasonable interpretation to support your denial of the 4 verses I quoted. So far I've not found any such interpretation from the Arminian side.

Arthur81

Jul 9, 2023
Tampa, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I apologize for placing my reply in this thread. I was meaning it for the Thread titled "Does God care more for himself than he cares for us?"

bro.tan

Dec 11, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Even Job was aware of this. Take a look. Job 14:14 If a man die, shall he live again? All the days of my appointed time will I wait, till my change come.

Take a look at Philippians and you will see Job and Paul are on the same page.

Philippians 3:20 For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ: 21 Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself.

Now we know we must be changed physically, let's see when this will take place what type of body we will have and why. Paul will show you this in I Corinthians the 15th chapter. Take a close look and you will understand why the Lord said in John chapter 3 flesh and blood can not see the kingdom of God. Pay close attention, Paul will repeat himself several times.

I Corinthians 15:35 But some man will say, How are the dead raised up? and with what body do they come?

Why would Paul mention the dead being raised?

I Corinthians 15:36 Thou fool, that which thou sowest is not quickened, except it die: 37 And that which thou sowest, thou sowest not that body that shall be, but bare grain, it may chance of wheat, or of some other grain:

38 But God giveth it a body as it hath pleased him, and to every seed his own body.

39 All flesh is not the same flesh: but there is one kind of flesh of men, another flesh of beasts, another of fishes, and another of birds.

40 There are also celestial bodies, and bodies terrestrial: but the glory of the celestial is one, and the glory of the terrestrial is another.

41 There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars: for one star differeth from another star in glory.

42 So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption; it is raised in incorruption:

43 It is sown in dishonour; it is raised in glory: it is sown in weakness; it is raised in power: 44 It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.

45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.

46 Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual.

47 The first man is of the earth, earthy: the second man is the Lord from heaven.

48 As is the earthy, such are they also that are earthy: and as is the heavenly, such are they also that are heavenly.

49 And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly.

50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.

Look at verse 50, notice what it says "flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God". Remembers Jesus said something similar to this in John chapter 3. Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. This is the Fathers Kingdom, which Jesus spoke of. During the Lord's thousand-year reign with the saint, flesh and blood beings will still be on the earth along with spirit beings. There will be only spirit beings after the second resurrection. Remember what Nicodemus asked the Lord? He asked Him, " how could a man be born again when he was already old?" And the Lord answered by saying, "Verily, verily, I say unto thee, except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again. The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.” In order for you to be born again you must be changed into a spiritual body.

When will this take place?

51 Behold, I show you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, 52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.

At the last trump, and not a second before. No one can make the statement, "I am born again" But the Lord that came down from heaven which is Jesus. He is the only one that rose from the grave and remained alive.

bro.tan

Dec 11, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let’s take a look at some verses showing He is the only begotten from the dead.

Acts 13:28 And though they found no cause of death in him, yet desired they Pilate that he should be slain. 29 And when they had fulfilled all that was written of him, they took him down from the tree, and laid him in a sepulchre. 30 But God raised him from the dead: 31 And he was seen many days of them which came up with him from Galilee to Jerusalem, who are his witnesses unto the people. 32 And we declare unto you glad tidings, how that the promise which was made unto the fathers, 33 God hath fulfilled the same unto us their children, in that he hath raised up Jesus again; as it is also written in the second psalm, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee.

When the Father raised him from the grave that was when He became the Son of God. Let's take a look at the 2nd Psalm.

Psalms 2:7 I will declare the decree: the LORD hath said unto me, Thou art my Son; this day have I begotten thee.

Let's pursue this, so you will not have any doubt in you mind about when Jesus became the Son of God. Take a look at Romans chapter 1.

Romans 1:1 Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle, separated unto the gospel of God, 2 (Which he had promised afore by his prophets in the holy scriptures,) 3 Concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh; 4 And declared to be the Son of God with power, according to the spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead:

When was he declared to be the Son of God? He was declared the Son of God at resurrection of the dead.

Let's take a look at a few more verse showing He is the only one that has truly been born again.

John 1:10 He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not. 11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not. 12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: 13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God. 14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

Take a look at the 12th verse. It states, "The ones that received him he gave them power to become the sons of God.” Remember that you will only become a Son of God if you follow His word. Look at the 14th verse. Notice it says he is the only begotten of the Father. What does only mean? If He is the only one born of God how can anyone make the statement they are born again. Only means only. If you are born of God you will not be able to sin any longer. Read this carefully in I John.

I John 3:9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

Can anyone say they commit no sin? No! If you are born (born again) into the God family you must be a spirit being. Here is another verse stating Jesus is the only begotten son.

John 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. 18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

bro.tan

Dec 11, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now let's go to the Book of Colossians take a look at these verses.

Colossians 1:17 And he is before all things, and by him all things consist. 18 And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.

Notice what it says, "He is the first born from the dead, that in all things he might have the preeminence". First means first. Take a look at these verses in Romans.

Romans 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. 29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

If he is the first born of many brethren what would that imply? That will let you know there are more to come. Take a look at this verse in I John.

I John 3:2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

Notice what's being said, "it doth not yet appear what we shall be but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is". Jesus was the first of many brethren, and those of us that walk in His law will be considered as family members. We will be able to see Him in His full strength when we are changed. If we are brethren and will receive a body like His, we have made the cut. Born again is a physical change not a change of mind. If born again was based on our mind each time we commit a sin and ask for forgiveness, we will be born again and again and again.

Take a look in the Book of Luke and see how the Lord compares us to the angels after the resurrection. Luke 20:34 And Jesus answering said unto them, The children of this world marry, and are given in marriage: 35 But they which shall be accounted worthy to obtain that world, and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry, nor are given in marriage: 36 Neither can they die any more: for they are equal unto the angels; and are the children of God, being the children of the resurrection.

If you come up in the first resurrection you have been found worthy, and have obtained eternal life, this is when you are born again. Remember what Jesus said to Nicodemus? "Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God". He also said, "I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.” Now read this next verse and you will understand what Jesus was saying

John 4:23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him. 24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

This time hasn't came to pass as of yet. You must be a spirit being to worship the Father. Now, you should understand the statement Paul made in I Corinthians chapter 15, "Flesh and blood can not inherit the kingdom of God.” Let's go to one last set of verses.

Hebrews 12:6 For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth. 7 If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not? 8 But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons. 9 Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live?

Take a look at the 9th verse, "shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live? God the Father is the father of spirits, and in order for you to worship Him you must be a spirit. No one has been born again except the ONLY BEGOTTEN SON, which is the Lord from heaven, Jesus. The people err greatly by saying they are born again, they have given themselves over seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils. They have turned their ears from the truth believing in cunningly devised fables giving themselves a false sense of security. The Pastors are the blame for this. The Pastors have scattered the sheep, and have allowed the sheep to be slaughtered. By not teaching them what thus said the Lord, but they follow doctrine of men. Read the book for yourself and don’t allow someone to kill you. Meaning the second death which is the Lake of Fire burning with brimstone were there will be wailing and gnashing of teeth. Remember the next life is forever, this one (meaning the flesh) is temporary.

May the Lord add a blessing to the reading of His word, in Jesus name. Amen

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How can a person be born again?

Having faith and looking towards God, would be my answer. He will write his laws on the hearts and minds of those who are his.