How Can a Person Be Born Again?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bro.tan

Dec 11, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All threw Christian dome brothers and sisters we hear the term born again. You will hear people in the churches, on the street, at work, even in jail, making the statement, "since I have been born again. For those who have any knowledge in the word (Holy Scriptures) will understand that this just isn’t the case, now this is a pretty simple lesson brother and sisters, pay close a attention to what’s being said. Now, Let’s jump right in a conversation that Jesus was having with a man name Nicodemus.

John 3:1 There was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews: 2 The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him. 3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

Notice verse 3, except a man is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. We have just learned something here. If you are not born again you can not see the kingdom of God. As we go further you will understand this. Remember there is a time for everything.

Nicodemus asked a very good question. Take a look at the next set of verses.

John 3:4 Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born? 5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

In verse 5, born of the water in this case is the Word of God. Notice the Lord mentions the kingdom of God again, but He adds a little more information. He says "Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. When he mentions spirit He means exactly that. Watch how the Lord gives something physical to describe exactly what He means.

John 3:6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

Notice: He made a difference between flesh and spirit. Ask yourself that question, was you born flesh or spirit?

John 3:7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

8 The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

Notice: He compared the wind to a spirit. Can you see the wind? No! We have seen things being blown around by the wind, but we have never seen the wind. If you are born of the spirit you are like the wind. This is when you are truly born again, when you are born of the spirit.

Notice: what Jesus does in these next few verses. Remember, this is after His resurrection.

John 20:26 And after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them: then came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, Peace be unto you. 27 Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing. 28 And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.

Note two very important things within these verses. 1. Jesus appeared in the midst of them and the doors were shut. 2. Thomas called Him God. When Jesus came out of the grave he was born into the God family, thus Jesus was Born Again.

to be continue....

Reactions: TonyChanYT

Godslittleservant

Aug 28, 2023
Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To make this a quick reply the answer can be found in the book of Acts chapter 2
In this chapter Peter gives the full completed gospel of Christ following his death and resurrection. The kingdom has now come the church doors are being opened as Jesus gave the authority to peter to do when he told him upon this rock I will build my church. Now peter is opening the doors to the kingdom (the church) of God and is now preaching the gospel and then we see them responding to the gospel and God adding them to the church daily those being saved.

The whole story of salvation and being born again is right there in that chapter. Paul reveals how one was born again in Romans 6 please read that chapter as it explains the baptism mentioned in Acts 2.

If you will read and search the truth of scripture you will find that Gods plan of salvation is clearly taught in his word but unfortunately we humans has distorted the true teaching of God by our own means for salvation.

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Nicodemus asked a very good question.
Right. The following is how I understand the process of being born-again.

When I was born from my mother's womb, a detached breath/wind/spirit of God entered my physical body and I became a sentient soul.

What happened when I was born the second time?

The following is not some abstract theory but my own personal experience.

John 3:

3 Jesus answered and said to him, "Truly, truly, I say to you, except anyone be born from above, he is not able to see the kingdom of God."
i.e., born from above or born again

5 Jesus answered, “Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit. 6 Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. 7 You should not be surprised at my saying, ‘You must be born again.’ 8 The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit.”
The Holy Spirit (wind) comes to you to cause you to be born again. It is a real supernatural event that happens. However, you may not feel it in real-time. I did not :)

John 14:

15 If you love Me, you will keep My commandments. 16 And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Helper <Paraclete> to be with you forever—17 the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you.
If one is born again, he has the Paraclete Spirit dwell in his spirit/conscience forever.

1 John 3:

9a No one born of God makes a practice of sinning, because God’s seed [G4690 sperma] remains in them;
i.e., the Paraclete

The Holy Spirit cannot dwell in the flesh, Romans 7:

18a For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh.
Instead, the Spirit is connected to our human spirit, Romans 8:

16 The Spirit himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God,
This is the promise for eternal life, John 10:

28 I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand.
The Paraclete is a special operation of the Holy Spirit. He is the Indwelling Spirit. The grammatical gender of the Paraclete is masculine. He enables us to hear God. I can sense him in my spirit anytime all the time. Every time that I do, peace fills me. I was born of the Paraclete. He is directly and permanently connected to my human spirit. This is not some spiritual metaphor but a spiritual reality. Eternal life starts now inside us. The last time I experienced any doubts about God was back in the 20th century :)

2 Corinthians 13:

5 Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you—unless, of course, you fail the test?
The first time when I was born, a detached breath/wind/spirit of God entered me. That became my animating human spirit. The second time when I was born, the non-detached Paraclete/Spirit from God connected with my human spirit and permanently dwelled there. The latter is a spirit-to-spirit connection.

In terms of spiritual mechanics/reality, do you have the Paraclete dwelling in you?

Can you sense the Paraclete in you?

Reactions: Cassandra and marks

Arthur81

Jul 9, 2023
Tampa, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Reading a full sentence from John chapter one clears things up about being "born from above".

"But as many as received him, to them gave he the right to become children of God, even to them that believe on his name: who were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God." (John 1:12-13, ASV)

Reading 3:5 & 6 together explains the meaning of "water and the Spirit" -

"Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except one be born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit." (John 3:5-6, ASV)

There is no "how to" in being born from above. It is a sovereign act of God out of which comes the grace of faith. We are spiritually dead before God gives us birth -

"And you did he make alive, when ye were dead through your trespasses and sins,...even when we were dead through our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace have ye been saved), (Eph 2:1 & 5 ASV)

Godslittleservant

Aug 28, 2023
Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Reading a full sentence from John chapter one clears things up about being "born from above".

"But as many as received him, to them gave he the right to become children of God, even to them that believe on his name: who were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God." (John 1:12-13, ASV)

Reading 3:5 & 6 together explains the meaning of "water and the Spirit" -

"Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except one be born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit." (John 3:5-6, ASV)

There is no "how to" in being born from above. It is a sovereign act of God out of which comes the grace of faith. We are spiritually dead before God gives us birth -

"And you did he make alive, when ye were dead through your trespasses and sins,...even when we were dead through our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace have ye been saved), (Eph 2:1 & 5 ASV)
Did you not realize that the church opened its doors for the first time in Acts 2 and in that chapter it laid out just how one was born again into the body of Christ? It tells right there how one is saved and god adds them to the church.

Arthur81

Jul 9, 2023
Tampa, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did you not realize that the church opened its doors for the first time in Acts 2 and in that chapter it laid out just how one was born again into the body of Christ? It tells right there how one is saved and god adds them to the church.
What are you talking about? Where is regeneration or being born again or born from above mentioned in Acts 2? Be specific what you stating.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Welcome new members!

"How Can a Person Be Born Again?"

Doesn't it make logical sense that, if one be born again then they must have already have been born once? I believe the being "born of the flesh" is our first birth from our mother's womb, and water is just another way of saying "flesh". Amniotic fluid?
The following two verses, 5 and 6 together seem to spell that out. IMHO! :)

John 3:5b
5 "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God."
6" That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit."

Enjoy Christianity Board!
Nancy

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I believe the being "born of the flesh" is our first birth from our mother's womb, and water is just another way of saying "flesh". Amniotic fluid?
I think so :)

Jesus spoke to Nicodemus in John 3:

5 Jesus answered, “Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit.
What is born of water?

There are at least 3 interpretations:

1. Water is a symbol of cleansing, Ezekiel 36:
25 “Then I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you will be clean; I will cleanse you from all your filthiness and from all your idols. 26“Moreover, I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; and I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. 27“I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will be careful to observe My ordinances. 28“You will live in the land that I gave to your forefathers; so you will be My people, and I will be your God.
2. Water refers to John's water baptism, John 1:

33 And I myself did not know him, but the one who sent me to baptize with water told me, ‘The man on whom you see the Spirit come down and remain is the one who will baptize with the Holy Spirit.’
Nicodemus knew about John's water baptism for repentance. Jesus informed him that there was another requirement. Ellicott, Cambridge Bible, and Bengel agreed to this interpretation #2.

3. Water refers to natural watery birth (amniotic sac breaking), John 3:

3 Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again.”
4 “How can someone be born when they are old?” Nicodemus asked. “Surely they cannot enter a second time into their mother’s womb to be born!”
5 Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. 6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
water || human flesh
Spirit || human spirit

Because of the immediate context and parallelisms, I think #3 is the best interpretation.

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think so :)

Jesus spoke to Nicodemus in John 3:

What is born of water?

There are at least 3 interpretations:

1. Water is a symbol of cleansing, Ezekiel 36:

2. Water refers to John's water baptism, John 1:

Nicodemus knew about John's water baptism for repentance. Jesus informed him that there was another requirement. Ellicott, Cambridge Bible, and Bengel agreed to this interpretation #2.

3. Water refers to natural watery birth (amniotic sac breaking), John 3:

water || human flesh
Spirit || human spirit

Because of the immediate context and parallelisms, I think #3 is the best interpretation.
Never once have I heard this at ANY church service, and I have listened to many! Someone on here several years back alluded to it also. Some things are just not that complex :)
I see nothing at all about "baptism" anywhere in those verses. Not that it is a make it or break it scenario, I just find it an interesting tid bit lol.
Many blessings!

Reactions: TonyChanYT

Godslittleservant

Aug 28, 2023
Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What are you talking about? Where is regeneration or being born again or born from above mentioned in Acts 2? Be specific what you stating.
You have to admit that Acts 2 is when Peter used the keys to the church Christ said he would build to open the doors for the first time.

You have to admit that Acts 2 opens with the spirit being poured out on the Apostles and giving them remembrance of the words Christ taught them in there walk with him to this point.

You have to admit that it is the spirit speaking through Peter as he gives the now fully completed gospel of Christ. He is now preaching Christ and his death burial and resurrection to all those at the Pentecost.

You have to admit that it records those in assembly believing the words Peter taught and asking how to respond to the message.

Peter sees their belief and answers them with Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Now note Peter said that remission of sins is found in the baptism in the name of Jesus Christ plain and simple he also said that in the baptism in the name of Jesus Christ is where God gives the indwelling spirit. Plain and simple it is recorded for all to see and believe.

It is the spirit that was promised to all as John the baptist had said and Peter recalls
For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

Notice this as Luke recorded Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.

Added to what? And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.

Now some say that the baptism in Acts 2:38 is not of water but the word of God says different look at Acts 10:47,48
47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?
48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.

Same baptism as in Acts 2:38 by the same Apostle and if that does not convince you maybe you can believe Paul as he describes what God does in the baptism in Christ name See Romans 6:3-6
3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:
6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.

The baptism he is talking about is the same one as Peter talked about in Acts 2 it is the baptism in Christ name. Paul clearly teaches that in this baptism God is at work transforming us dead in sin to alive in Christ it is clearly spelled out and that is the born again Christian.
God is doing his gracious work of redeeming us in this act designed by him for this purpose it is to clear to miss Paul spent the whole chapter here in Romans 6 to explain what God does in his plan of salvation it is not the water but the faith that God is using the baptism in the name of Christ to wash away our sin it is where we reach the cleansing blood of Christ to wash away our sins Paul could not have made it any more clear. It is how one is born again the gospel id found in Acts 2 where God is adding to the church.

bro.tan

Dec 11, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When Thomas called Jesus God was he still a man? Take a look at this verse in the book of Numbers.

Numbers 23:19 God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? Or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good?

Note what the verse says, God is not a man, neither is he the son of man. While Jesus walked with His disciples He called Himself the son of man. He was exactly that. He was born of a woman. But, when he was raised from the dead He was no longer in the man family neither was He flesh and blood. If he was flesh and blood He would not have been able to appear in the middle of the room with his apostles. Take a look at these verses. Can a flesh and blood man do this?

Luke 24:27 And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself. 28 And they drew nigh unto the village, whither they went: and he made as though he would have gone further. 29 But they constrained him, saying, Abide with us: for it is toward evening, and the day is far spent. And he went in to tarry with them. 30 And it came to pass, as he sat at meat with them, he took bread, and blessed it, and brake, and gave to them. 31 And their eyes were opened, and they knew him; and he vanished out of their sight.

Look at verse 31, once they realized that it was Jesus they spoke with, what happen? He vanished out of their sight. Remember in John chapter 3 and verse 8. The Lord gave an example of how a spirit would look. He likened a spirit to the wind.( John 3:8 The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.) Can you or can you not see the wind?

bro.tan

Dec 11, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let's move on. In Genesis the Lord set things in order. Take a look at Genesis and see the distinction between man and God.

Genesis 1:11 And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so. 12 And the earth brought forth grass and herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed was in itself, after his kind: and God saw that it was good.

24 And God said, “Let the earth bring forth the living creature after his kind, cattle, and creeping thing, and beast of the earth after his kind” and it was so. 25 And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good.

Note these things which were created were after its kind. Notice the change in the next scripture.

Genesis 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Notice: man is made in the image of God after his likeness not after His kind. Meaning we look like Him but, we are not made up of the same substance. Take a look at Genesis chapter 2 verse 7. There you will find the 2 elements that men are made of.

Genesis 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

Notice what it says, man was formed from the dust of the ground, and the Lord breathed the breath of life into his nostrils. Dust and breath that's it, nothing else. Take note also it says man became a living soul. It did not say a soul was placed in the man. You are the soul?

Men also have another similarity other than the outward image of The Godhead members. Notice what the Lord says in Genesis chapter 3.

Genesis 3:22 And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever: 23 Therefore the LORD God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken.

24 So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.

Notice what the Lord says, "the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil." If Adam didn't listen to Eve we would only have two commandments. 1. Be fruitful and multiply and 2. Do not eat from the tree of knowledge good and evil (listening to Satan). Man would have never died. Everyone from Adam until eternity would still be alive.

Reactions: Cassandra and Nancy

bro.tan

Dec 11, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Right. The following is how I understand the process of being born-again.

When I was born from my mother's womb, a detached breath/wind/spirit of God entered my physical body and I became a sentient soul.

What happened when I was born the second time?

The following is not some abstract theory but my own personal experience.

John 3:

i.e., born from above or born again

The Holy Spirit (wind) comes to you to cause you to be born again. It is a real supernatural event that happens. However, you may not feel it in real-time. I did not :)

John 14:

If one is born again, he has the Paraclete Spirit dwell in his spirit/conscience forever.

1 John 3:

i.e., the Paraclete

The Holy Spirit cannot dwell in the flesh, Romans 7:

Instead, the Spirit is connected to our human spirit, Romans 8:

This is the promise for eternal life, John 10:

The Paraclete is a special operation of the Holy Spirit. He is the Indwelling Spirit. The grammatical gender of the Paraclete is masculine. He enables us to hear God. I can sense him in my spirit anytime all the time. Every time that I do, peace fills me. I was born of the Paraclete. He is directly and permanently connected to my human spirit. This is not some spiritual metaphor but a spiritual reality. Eternal life starts now inside us. The last time I experienced any doubts about God was back in the 20th century :)

2 Corinthians 13:

The first time when I was born, a detached breath/wind/spirit of God entered me. That became my animating human spirit. The second time when I was born, the non-detached Paraclete/Spirit from God connected with my human spirit and permanently dwelled there. The latter is a spirit-to-spirit connection.

In terms of spiritual mechanics/reality, do you have the Paraclete dwelling in you?

Can you sense the Paraclete in you?
Not sure I look at the spirit like that.

bro.tan

Dec 11, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can you be more specific? Like what?
You said, "The Paraclete is a special operation of the Holy Spirit." What I would quote from the Bible is to
"repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost." (Acts 2:38). This Holy Ghost or Holy Spirit comes from Jesus for those who do his will. Jesus says in John 14: 23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him. 24 He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me. 25 These things have I spoken unto you, being yet present with you. 26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

Again Jesus says in John 16: 7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you. 8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: 9 of sin, because they believe not on me; 10 of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more; 12 I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now. 13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

So this is how I understand and or deal with the Holy Ghost or Spirit. The things you where saying is my first time reading that, concerning the Holy Ghost.

Reactions: Nancy

bro.tan

Dec 11, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let's take a look at man's potential.

Psalms 82:1 God standeth in the congregation of the mighty; he judgeth among the gods. 2 How long will ye judge unjustly, and accept the persons of the wicked? Selah.

Who are these mighty ones that God judgeth among the gods? These are not pagan gods that the Lord judge. Pagan gods have no might nor any breath in them.

Take a look and see who these gods are.

Psalms 82:6 I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High. 7 But ye shall die like men, and fall like one of the princes.

These gods are men. Why? Look at the 7th verse again. But ye shall die like men, and fall like one of the princes. Spirits don't die; men do (flesh and blood). To give you a better understanding of this, take a look at what Jesus said to the Pharisees. Pay close attention what's being said.

John 10:30 I and my Father are one. 31 Then the Jews took up stones again to stone him. 32 Jesus answered them, Many good works have I showed you from my Father; for which of those works do ye stone me? 33 The Jews answered him, saying, for a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God. 34 Jesus answered them, “Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?”

Notice Jesus quoted the 6th verse in the 82nd Psalm. Now take a look at the next verse.

35 If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;

So you see, He called them gods unto whom the Word of God came. If you continue in His Word you will be in the God family, but you must endure this world to make it into the kingdom. This will take place at an appointed time in the near future.

Pay close attention to what Paul he says below.

Romans 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man has not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

Now if you look at the verse above you will say, "See, I told you we are in the spirit.” Then I would say to you. "What spirit are you in?” Remember, Jesus compares someone born of the spirit to the wind. Look closely at the verse. Notice something familiar? Take a look. "If so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you.” If the Spirit of God dwells within you, you are in the spirit. How can the spirit of God dwell within you? Before we continue in Romans 8, let's have the Master even Jesus clear this up.

John 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

Notice what the Lord says, "The flesh profiteth nothing, the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit and they are life". The spirit that dwells within you is His word. His word gives you life eternal. Paul is on the same page as the Master as always. Plain and simple you are not walking in the flesh or in other words in the ways of the world. You are walking in the spirit, or you are obeying the Word of God.

bro.tan

Dec 11, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you distinguish between the term "Holy Spirit" and the "Paraclete"?
Yes I do, because we living in the times where a lot of confusion is being put forth, so to elevate all that I rather stick to Biblical words. Also it's written in Revelation 22: 18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:

Nowadays we have different version of the Bible.....19 and if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book. I believe it's best to use words that's already written and how it's written to always stay on the safe side of things.

bro.tan

Dec 11, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let's return to Romans Chapter 8 and read it with some understanding.

Romans 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his. 10 And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.

Look at the 10th verse, "And if Christ be in you". How can Christ be in you again? His word is in your mind. Look at the next part of the verse. "The body is dead because of sin". Notice what it says, the body is dead to sin? This isn't a physical death. The next verse will explain.

Romans 8:11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you. 12 Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh.

Look at verse 11, "quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you." So you see, a person is very much alive physically, but if you don't follow the word of God you are a dead man walking. Take a look at these next verses.

Romans 8:13 For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live. 14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

Paul simply means bring this sinful body under control and then you will be led by the word of God. As long as you follow the word of God you are considered a son or daughter of God. This spirit is simply the word of God, not that you are a spirit being.

After reading these verses you will see as Solomon says it is a time for everything. Take a look at what Paul is saying.

Romans 8:21 Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God. 22 For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now. 23 And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body.

Our bodies must be changed and this will not take place until the first resurrection. This is why Paul makes these statements. We ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body. He did say waiting correct?