How can we love our neighbour?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey @Cristo Rei my wife just yesterday gave word to me that the neighbor across the street needs help. I'm going to do some clean up around a widow's place this week, she's 91 years old. Her house is getting painted next week and she wants to ensure that the lowest parts of her home gets some paint. So I'm going to pull back the mulch and trim some hedges too close to the her house.

I guess I would call that an act of love in the neighborhood. I enjoy helping others it I can and able. And I do need the exercise as well. It's a win-win as I see it. Well I have a hoe in hand and now I'm ready to do my work in the neighborhood......

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”
37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’
38 This is the first and greatest commandment.
39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’
40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

Matthew 22:36-40

34 “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.
35 By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”

John 13:34-35

But how exactly do we do that. What actions and gestures can we use to show love.
It seems that our actions come from 3 places
- The Holy Spirit. Love. Joy. Happiness
- The evil one. Anger. Pride. Envy
- Neutral. Such as work/business related communication

And so i wanted to make up a list of loving actions we can use with others
- Making love to your husband or wife
- Actually saying "i love you"
- Just calling up or even texting to say hi, happy b'day or xmas or something like that
- Caring for someone when they're sick
- Cooking for loved ones is an action of love
- Eating, complimenting and appreciating that food that was prepared out of love (return love)
- Kiss, hug, handshake. (Not a business handshake)
- Working for your family
- Gifts, holidays
- Helping someone in need

And i kind of get stuck...
What else is there...
How else can i show love to another person
- I guess even saying good morning can be an act of love.
- Wishing someone all the best and asking for Gods blessing
- Just being in ones company can be an act of love.

What else guys.
Help me out here please.
I want new ways to express love.
How else can we love people like Jesus told us to?
Most people have plenty to work on just from this:

Exodus 20:12 KJV: Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.
Exodus 20:13 KJV: Thou shalt not kill.
Exodus 20:14 KJV: Thou shalt not commit adultery.
Exodus 20:15 KJV: Thou shalt not steal.
Exodus 20:16 KJV: Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.
Exodus 20:17 KJV: Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”
37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’
38 This is the first and greatest commandment.
39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’
40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

Matthew 22:36-40

34 “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.
35 By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”

John 13:34-35

But how exactly do we do that. What actions and gestures can we use to show love.
It seems that our actions come from 3 places
- The Holy Spirit. Love. Joy. Happiness
- The evil one. Anger. Pride. Envy
- Neutral. Such as work/business related communication

And so i wanted to make up a list of loving actions we can use with others
- Making love to your husband or wife
- Actually saying "i love you"
- Just calling up or even texting to say hi, happy b'day or xmas or something like that
- Caring for someone when they're sick
- Cooking for loved ones is an action of love
- Eating, complimenting and appreciating that food that was prepared out of love (return love)
- Kiss, hug, handshake. (Not a business handshake)
- Working for your family
- Gifts, holidays
- Helping someone in need

And i kind of get stuck...
What else is there...
How else can i show love to another person
- I guess even saying good morning can be an act of love.
- Wishing someone all the best and asking for Gods blessing
- Just being in ones company can be an act of love.

What else guys.
Help me out here please.
I think loving people, in the Christian sense, refers to how we treat people.

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I think loving people, in the Christian sense, refers to how we treat people.
Yes treat ? on the other hand maybe Interact with such ? is more to the point.
Not to mention it's Grace that creates the will to endure such a interaction. as the Holy Spirit guides?

Reactions: Cristo Rei

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes treat ? on the other hand maybe Interact with such ? is more to the point.
Not to mention it's Grace that creates the will to endure such a interaction. as the Holy Spirit guides?
Some people think Christian love is about how we feel about people. When someone kicks you in the shin every day, it's hard to like that person.

I think Christian love is about how we treat people.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What else guys.
Help me out here please.

For me it's all about like in Roman 5, "the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts". Literally "outpoured into our hearts". I want to love those around me as very best I can. I look to God to do that through me. I mostly try to understand in any given moment what that person in front of me really needs.

This is a very good question, I'm going to be thinking about how better to answer.

Much love!

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
People, People. People!
Did you folks truly think Jesus was talking about physical love in Matthew 22? Or, spiritual love?
In John 21 the Lord Jesus asked Peter, "Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me more than these?" He sayeth unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my lambs.
This was done three times but the second and third time Jesus said, Feed my sheep.
No need to expound on this as it is self explanatory.
Jesus, in another place said, This is my commandment, that ye love one another, as I have loved you.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends!!!

Isn't that what Jesus did to go to the cross and laid down His life to give eternal life to those that the Father gave Him?
So my friends is doing good works to your neighbor better than giving him the Gospel that is in you, which is, salvation? I believe this is the context of Matthew 22:36-40

To God Be The Glory

Last edited:
Reactions: Reggie Belafonte

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
As has been said Love is Not a ' feeling ' but action, an action towards those we like and towards those we dislike the action should be the same, selfless, generous and caring.

Ultimatly loving others means sharing the gospel with them again and again.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We love others when we don't judge them or look down on them for the things they do or don't do as a matter of conscience. When we keep our personal liberties from offending weaker brethren we are loving them:

"15If your brother is distressed by what you eat, you are no longer acting in love. Do not by your eating destroy your brother, for whom Christ died." Romans 14:15

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We love others by not preferring rich, influential people over poor people.

"8If you really fulfill the royal law stated in Scripture, “Love your neighbor as yourself,”c you are doing well. 9But if you show favoritism, you sin and are convicted by the law as transgressors." James 2:8-9

I see this a lot in the business world. Business people like to cut deals for the rich but not for the poorer people among us. That's how humans love by nature. We only pour out our love and favor on those who can benefit us in some way.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We love others when we endure their hatred and rejection because we are conscious of God, like in a marriage or in an employment situation, suffering for them just as Christ suffered for us.

44But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,s
46If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Do not even tax collectors do the same?
47And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even Gentiles do the same?" Matthew 5:44-47

"19For if anyone endures the pain of unjust suffering because he is conscious of God, this is to be commended." 1 Peter 2:19

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We love when we don't hate or treat people with contempt; when we don't fly off in a rage; when we don't divorce our spouse; when we don't hold grudges; when we don't commit adultery staying faithful to our partner in both thought and deed; when we don't withhold our greeting from our enemy; when we don't take revenge; when we don't condemn. In other words...

"10Love does no wrong to its neighbor." Romans 13:10

Jesus calls it being "perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect." Matthew 5:48

It's all about being considerate of other people's well-being, especially when, in your natural mind, they don't deserve it.

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
People, People. People!
Did you folks truly think Jesus was talking about physical love in Matthew 22? Or, spiritual love?
In John 21 the Lord Jesus asked Peter, "Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me more than these?" He sayeth unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my lambs.
This was done three times but the second and third time Jesus said, Feed my sheep.
No need to expound on this as it is self explanatory.
Jesus, in another place said, This is my commandment, that ye love one another, as I have loved you.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends!!!

Isn't that what Jesus did to go to the cross and laid down His life to give eternal life to those that the Father gave Him?
So my friends is doing good works to your neighbor better than giving him the Gospel that is in you, which is, salvation? I believe this is the context of Matthew 22:36-40

To God Be The Glory

John 21:15-17 KJV
15) So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest (agapeo - the highest love) thou me more than these? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love (phileo - affectionate love) thee. He saith unto him, Feed my lambs.
16) He saith to him again the second time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest - agapeo thou me? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love - phileo thee. He saith unto him, Feed my sheep.
17) He saith unto him the third time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest - phileo thou me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest - phileo thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep.

Much love!

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 21:15-17 KJV
15) So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest (agapeo - the highest love) thou me more than these? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love (phileo - affectionate love) thee. He saith unto him, Feed my lambs.
16) He saith to him again the second time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest - agapeo thou me? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love - phileo thee. He saith unto him, Feed my sheep.
17) He saith unto him the third time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest - phileo thou me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest - phileo thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep.

Much love!

Tell me something I don't know!!!

Reactions: marks

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
We love others when we don't judge them or look down on them for the things they do or don't do as a matter of conscience. When we keep our personal liberties from offending weaker brethren we are loving them:

"15If your brother is distressed by what you eat, you are no longer acting in love. Do not by your eating destroy your brother, for whom Christ died." Romans 14:15
I do judge all regardless and I do look down on people for sure.

There is always something that I do not admire in even my best friends even mom or Dad Brother, if you truly did not one is fooling yourself, but I forgive such, but I do not in courage such in them at all.

Someone who has lack of regard for Jesus Christ does not impress me at all. I do not look up to them at all and more to the point I do feel great pity for them.

If one does not judge others one is an idiot. I judge their actions and intent. so I know were they are at ?
One does not let another into your house regardless ? do you, No ! so that is a judgement regardless of what one may think.

I had a Rat in my home the other day and it was not welcome at all. I made a judgement call on that to be sure to be sure.

But as to God we all have a calling to do right by all others 24/7 not to miss treat one with no regard. but if one did not be correcting them could be a Sin. Just like a parent may have to correct their child for their Love for them. because they care for ones welfare and to not correct them would be a Sin.
Don't do A,B or C or else ! this has to be instilled in one and such is ones duty under God. Such is that we all must be subjected to God or else one will reap what you sow.

One who does not fear God is trash ! so one has to watch your step ? or one may stand in something one does not wish to be in. God is the ultimate Judge tho ! and it's all founded on God.

Reactions: JunChosen

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If one does not judge others one is an idiot.
'Do not judge' means do not CONDEMN. We are, of course, to discern people and situations for our own protection. In this matter of love we are not to condemn others for the freedoms they enjoy in Christ, and we are not to look down on those who do not enjoy the same freedoms we ourselves do because of conscience. And this is in regard to disputable matters, not matters of black and white sin, like stealing and murder.

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do judge all regardless and I do look down on people for sure.

There is always something that I do not admire in even my best friends even mom or Dad Brother, if you truly did not one is fooling yourself, but I forgive such, but I do not in courage such in them at all.

Someone who has lack of regard for Jesus Christ does not impress me at all. I do not look up to them at all and more to the point I do feel great pity for them.

If one does not judge others one is an idiot. I judge their actions and intent. so I know were they are at ?
One does not let another into your house regardless ? do you, No ! so that is a judgement regardless of what one may think.

I had a Rat in my home the other day and it was not welcome at all. I made a judgement call on that to be sure to be sure.

But as to God we all have a calling to do right by all others 24/7 not to miss treat one with no regard. but if one did not be correcting them could be a Sin. Just like a parent may have to correct their child for their Love for them. because they care for ones welfare and to not correct them would be a Sin.
Don't do A,B or C or else ! this has to be instilled in one and such is ones duty under God. Such is that we all must be subjected to God or else one will reap what you sow.

One who does not fear God is trash ! so one has to watch your step ? or one may stand in something one does not wish to be in. God is the ultimate Judge tho ! and it's all founded on God.

I concur. There is a righteous judgment in our part.

To God Be The Glory

Reactions: Reggie Belafonte

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
How can i love my neighbor?
Just be there when they need help.

And if you really want to do it....... find out which of your neighbors is going to hell, and see if you can help them not.

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How can i love my neighbor?
Just be there when they need help.

And if you really want to do it....... find out which of your neighbors is going to hell, and see if you can help them not.

No! Make a flyer stating there will be a Bible study in your home this weekend and distribute them in your neighborhood.