How can you KNOW that you are saved and part of the elect?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I like that exegesis for a change. I can't do it. I just have faith in the numerous translations labored over by hundreds of brilliant scholars throughtout the centuries. I use a half dozen major ones, even YLT. Your topic brought a few things to mind right off and you mentioned it, Romans 8:16. Then there is the idea that God draws all men to Himself. He calls us and we answer the call. We read and listened to the Word and it penetrated. He persuaded us of the truth. I like that, "to know with intuitive knowledge". When you channel God's voice, "You ought to go this way", or You should do this or not," you sense intuituvely that it is God because at times you struggle with His voice, resist it, analize and go a different way to your demise. We learn to listen.
Everyone's testimony is different. But for me, I was drawn, called and answered the call. He orchestrated events and people He sent into my life that led me to that divine appointment. Wow, it was beyond a doubt, obvious in that moment that God was real and He had been there watching and guiding me over me all along. And then our world view changes, the the light went in and we see things we couldn't before - be ause we realize we were blind. At the time He calls, He has already prepared your heart. You come to him in humility, like a child, curious, hungry for the truth. You also come in godly sorrow when you realize your sinful state and need for a Savior. So you begin to hate sin all around and sin in your own life. Jesus is the cure and we find out that He is our only solution. Life seems to have more purpose and meaning. Even the pain and suffering makes sense. Evil - we can't really appreciated good unless we know the oppositie. I have a relationship, I am in LOVE. All that is how I know.
Forgot to mention, the exegesis was not mine but from commentary on my e sword Garner-Howes, absolutely brilliant Ronald, yet @Markss is om my case for sharing the
good news via this resource for not "naming" it.
Thank you for this positive feedback
Blessings
Johann

Reactions: Ronald David Bruno

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I found an audiobook on YT. It's about 3 and 1/2 hours.
So I'm going to take some time off here this afternoon and listen to it.
I was watching a young man give a commentary about this book and I like C.S Lewis.
I read all the Books of Narnia when I was younger and my eyes weren't quite so blurry.
And I'm a big fan of the Lord of the Rings.
A lot of people look down on these, but I find them loaded with spiritual truths.
I guess people see what they want to see...
I try to look for the positive.

Thank You again
Hugs

Rita

Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Rita, the majority are too lazy to read and here I am talking about healthy, robust people.
Shalom
Johann
I love reading, it’s often time that is against me these days. I have read that book twice at different stages of my Christian life. I am reading ‘ A shepherd looks at the 23rd psalm ‘ at the moment, third time of reading it. It’s surprising what new things you take from it, I make notes in books and write a date, so I can compare where I was to where I am !!
Rita

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Forgot to mention, the exegesis was not mine but from commentary on my e sword Garner-Howes, absolutely brilliant Ronald, yet @Markss is om my case for sharing the
good news via this resource for not "naming" it.
Thank you for this positive feedback
Blessings
Johann
Ah, it seemed like the work of a theologian. Dr. Albert Garner - just read about his life. He got a "Well done good and faithful servant" from Jesus - I'm sure. Still to understand all the tenses you have to be educated, at least with a few years of exegesis of your own. I can't see devoting much time to that when all the work has already been done with the many translations available. It's interesting though, but the tenses are confusing. "It's a nomitive, neuter, indicative past participle that eludes to the former masculine noun presented in the the next verse ... What??? We often thrown around the Greek words and expand on the meanings and it is helpful to get the full spectrum. I have had to examine very crucial import Greek words like, "aionios" to write a book and so those words I delved into. I do appreciate a well equipped Pastor's ability, like John MacArthur or R. C. Sproul who have a handle on the Greek as they should.

Last edited:
Reactions: marks

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I guess people see what they want to see.
Ah, it seemed like the work of a theologian. Dr. Albert Garner - just read about his life. He got a "Well done good and faithful servant" from Jesus - I'm sure. Still to understand all the tenses you have to be educated, at least with a few years of exegesis of your own. I can't see devoting much time to that when all the work has already been done with the many translations available. It's interesting though, but the tenses are confusing. "It's a nomitive, neuter, indicative past partiple that eludes to the former masculine noun presented in the the next verse ... What??? We often thrown around the Greek words and expand on the meanings and it is helpful to get the full spectrum. I have had to examine very crucial import Greek words like, "aionios" to write a book and so those words I delved into. I do appreciate a well equipped Pastor's ability, like John MacArthur or R. C. Sproul who have a handle on the Greek as they should.
Lol! I am familiar with Koine Greek Ronald

"It's a nomitive, neuter, indicative past partiple that eludes to the former masculine noun presented in the the next verse ... What???...and this is what I have studied over the past years, morphology and Syntax..I am no "expert" and not very popular for mentioning that I study Koine Greek and Hebrew.
Again, thank you for your positive feedback.
Shalom to you and family dear brother in Christ
Johann

To encourage you....
2 Corinthians 4:2

1) "But have renounced the hidden things of dishonesty,” (alla apeipametha ta krupta tes aischenes) "But we have renounced the hidden things of shame;" Paul insisted on openness and candor and affirmed that his ministry had been of this nature, Act_15:12; Rom_13:12; Eph_4:22; Joh_3:20.

2) "Not walking in craftiness," (me peripatountes en panourgia) "not living, or conducting ourselves, in craftiness," 1Th_2:3-4; Eph_4:14.

3) "Nor handling the Word of God deceitfully," (mede dolountes ton logon tou theou) "nor polluting, that is adulterating, the Word of God," to please any party, or curry the favor of any, 2Co_10:3; Col_2:4.

4) "But by manifestation of the truth," (alla te phanerosei tes aletheis) "But by the manifestation of the truth," telling it like it is, and living it as it is told we should, Gal_6:7-8; Joh_8:32.

5) "Commending ourselves to every man's conscience, " (sunistanontes heautous pros pasan suneidesen anthropon) "commending ourselves to or toward the conscience of every man," as set forth, Act_20:27; 1Co_9:22.

6) "In the sight of God," (enopion tou theou) "in the face (sight, open to) of God;" we work as if in His presence, as if God were looking on, not merely as men-pleasers, Col_3:22-25.

Very simple yet profound, to me first and then for others...Garner

Last edited:

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I love reading, it’s often time that is against me these days. I have read that book twice at different stages of my Christian life. I am reading ‘ A shepherd looks at the 23rd psalm ‘ at the moment, third time of reading it. It’s surprising what new things you take from it, I make notes in books and write a date, so I can compare where I was to where I am !!
Rita
Excellent
Blessings Rita
Johann

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Regarding the OP...

I know that I am saved and part of the elect because a) Jesus healed me in the hospital when I was an atheist and b) gave me the Holy Spirit to guide me in this life, including leading me into all truth.

Reactions: Lambano and Johann

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Regarding the OP...

I know that I am saved and part of the elect because a) Jesus healed me in the hospital when I was an atheist and b) gave me the Holy Spirit to guide me in this life, including leading me into all truth.
I just "liked" your testimony Jim

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I just "liked" your testimony Jim

Thanks. I was born a Jew and was Bar Mitzvah at 13. My family life was horrific so I prayed often to God for a change but nothing happened. I then became an atheist and argued against God, Jesus, and Christianity. As you read, God had a plan for me, patiently waiting until I saw the truth in Christ. My life has been blessed in so many ways ever since.

Reactions: Lambano and Rita

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rita
I just found this audiobook., A shepherd looks at the 23rd psalm. I'm going to listen to it tonight.
I had a hard time with the Screwletter tapes because I think, I tried to take it all in one bite rather than by chapter.
It's 3.5 hours long. I'll go back to that again. There's a lot in them letters.

Thank You
Hugs

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I just found this audiobook., A shepherd looks at the 23rd psalm. I'm going to listen to it tonight.
I had a hard time with the Screwletter tapes because I think, I tried to take it all in one bite rather than by chapter.
It's 3.5 hours long. I'll go back to that again. There's a lot in them letters.

Thank You
Hugs
@Ziggy Psalm 23 ties in indeed with John chapter 10....

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
How can you KNOW that you are saved and part of the elect?
As long as one can identify those who are not part of the elect, one will never know!