How did Paganism get into the church?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Garbage Heap:

1711760365551.png

Bottom of the Sewer:
1711760704085.png1711760819461.png

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here is the deal….
Keeping things in perspective and the real.
First off….the term Pagan as a person that worships other gods and or have heathen Pagan rituals is actually a more modern term.

Its connections are to the Latin period derived from the Latin word paganus, meaning villager, rustic, civilian, and itself comes from a pāgus which refers to a small unit of land in a rural district. It was a demeaning Latin term (like the word hick), that originally lacked a religious significance.

Pagan as a word defining people that worships other gods or have heathen rituals comes in to use during the witch-hunts around the 13th century.

But I am going to use the word Pagan as in people that that worships other gods or have heathen rituals. And the word Gentile for Pagans that had converted to Christianity.

To set the stage….
The Jews made up around 2% of the populous in the Middle East and during the New Testament the Christians made up a fraction of that….The rest of the known world were Pagans. Paganism was the culture of the Middle East and at that time Christianity was a small religion that was seen as a threat to Paganism because it seeked to convert Pagans to Christianity. Ergo the Christian persecutions. Jews not so much because they really had no interest in converting Pagans.

Paganism was not an organized religion as we know it. Different regions in all directions worshiped a pantheon of gods and goddesses, with different rituals and holy days.

Then Paul’s ministry to the Pagans happens. Why was Christianity appealing to the Pagans?
Mainly a close relationship to God.
The Pagans were use to a religion with more than one God…ie Yahweh, Yeshua, and the Holy Spirit so this was familiar to them
In their religions they were familiar with a god impregnating a woman and she delivering a god.
And they liked the idea of the soul having eternal life and going to Heaven.
Morality was seen as path to a more kinder and fairer society.

So the Apostle Paul’s ministry was about converting the Pagans to Christianity. And the process changed their religious beliefs in so as they did not worship Pagans gods and began worshipping Yahweh and Yeshua, and the Holy Spirit. BUT they did not stop all their customs and holy days which was mostly seasonal and in some cases they Christianized their holy days and celebrations. We see a lot of this in how Christians celebrate the winter solstice around Christmas in different countries today. So Christianity had Gentile-Christians that had Pagan “like” customs. Long before Emperor Constantine and the Ecumenical councils Christianity had Pagan aspects.

So eventually the Jewish-Christian sect dies out or has no appearance in history….No Jewish-Christian writings after the 1st century and the Gentiles-Christians take the helm of the Church.

All of the Christians that met with Emperor Constantine in Nicaea were Gentile-Christians. And when Christianity merged with Rome …..becoming the state religion…..and established the Roman Catholic Church….the Romans had customs and holidays and not all Romans were Christians so Constantine schedule these holidays to occur on the same day so that the empire was not being shutdown so often for religious holidays.

And some of the Roman customs made it into Christian customs, the best known was the wedding ceremony as a voluntary ceremony. Christianity would not make a wedding ceremony a requirement until the middle of the 16th century and that was done by the Protestants. The Catholic Church done away with polygamy and concubinage and arranged marriages where the wife was purchased around the 13th century. Because the custom of wedding ceremonies originated from the Pagans, most modern Christian wedding ceremonies have Pagan rituals and customs embedded in them.

Today some Christians will object to certain Pagan aspects in Christianity but that is the evolution of Christianity and we are Gentile-Christians.

What is the alternative? You can be a Jehovah’s Witness and consider Yeshua just a man and go back to worshipping just one God and get rid of the Christian holidays as they do. And get rid of the wedding ceremonies. Most are not going to do that…..Gentile Christianity is the Church that survived.
The thing is they didnt just 'evolve' the Pagan rituals and customs, and idols, they took them whole cloth and just renamed them to try to hide their origin. Here is a interesting read..

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The thing is they didnt just 'evolve' the Pagan rituals and customs, and idols, they took them whole cloth and just renamed them to try to hide their origin. Here is a interesting read..

Take it step by step…..historically. This is a Gentile-Christian community, from the 2nd century on. Before the Edict of Milan Christians are worshipping in hiding. Congregations are meeting in private homes …. catacombs … out in the woods…..There is no political correctness here, people are saying what they think. It does not matter where they are gathering they are all former Pagans that converted to Christianity. Look through the early Christian writings and you are not going to see a lot of objections to regional customs in Christian congregations.

It not until the Protestant reform that you had people that wanted to prove themselves holier than thou. Basically holier than the Catholic Church. And there is no reason for this…..The history of the Catholic Church was so horrid, that they needed to prove nothing.

But they felt that way anyway…..So they focused on the customs of Christianity….They also started developing man-made sins…I am holier than thou because I do not drink…. I am holier than thou because I do not smoke…. I am holier than thou because I do not dance…. I am holier than thou because I do not gamble. It is all driven by the desire to look good in the eyes of Man and edify themselves and have ammunition to condemn others. Because it is not biblical.

They adopted the wedding ceremonies as a requirement for marriage and that is funny. Of all the customs we have, there are more Pagan customs and rituals in the average Christian wedding ceremony than anything we do….wedding ceremonies are strictly from Pagan cultures. I love weddings.

So what do we have left? Easter….the holiday celebrating the resurrection of Christ. They can object to the Ecumenical Councils and Constantine combining the holiday with the holiday of the spring Goddess…I can kind of see that, so do not celebrate Easter, simple as that. I am sure that there are denominations and churches that ignore Easter, but I have never seen one. Of course they are celebrating the story of Christ and His resurrection. I was one of the people fanning the palm leafs in a church play this last Easter. Helped with moving the props around and cleanup. But no one is going to twist your are arm to celebrate Easter. And you can tell your kids and grand kids why you do not hide Easter eggs. Your choice. I love Easter Sunrise vigils.

What is left? You can look at the custom of Christmas….the tree…the Yule log….and decorations and giving presents….Santa Claus LOL….If you look at the time line for these customs they start to develop around the time of the Protestant reform. Pagans and Jews ritually slaughtered and sacrificed animals during the holidays, put we do not do that. We don’t have people dancing naked around a fire at night for Easter or Christmas. Evergreens has always been a symbol of hope for winter to end….and Gentile-Christians have always followed those customs in different ways, because of the customs of their regions.

But we did stop selling our daughters as sex slave on holidays. LOL
As far as I am concerned that was worse than Pagan.

Halloween!!! I can understand someone taking exception to this, to an extent. Pagan religions….of different kinds….all over the world have always had holidays for honoring the dead. Christianity took that custom and had fun with it, but if someone does not want to participate with Halloween I can understand that. And I can understand issues with the All Saints Day side of it, but a lot of it is about recognizing the martyrs.

A few years back I participate in a church organized Hell House which demonstrated the evils of sin and the ramifications and the temptations of the Devil. Great stuff.

You have heard the saying…..It is better to keep your mouth shut and people think you are ignorant, than open it and remove all doubt. Here is the deal, if you have something specific "religiously" that you think Christians are doing that is really Pagan….research it so you know what your are talking about.

So what I am getting at here is that you just can't say…..Pagans have been gathering around a table and eating meat and praying for thousands of years so what Christianity is doing is Pagan! It has to have an intentional purpose to point to Paganism.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Learner