HOW DID YOU BECOME A NEW CREATION

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
My Testimony – by Pearl

Silver Jubilee year, 1977, was special for me , because for most of it I was pregnant with a child I thought I’d never have.

Like most women I worried a bit about whether he would be alright and how he would grow up; and Ray and I used to pray each night about our unborn baby; that he would be healthy and that he would grow up to be a good Christian.

Neither of us went to church in those days although we both considered ourselves to be Christian because we had been Christened and gone to Sunday school as children, so naturally we talked about having our son Christened because we both thought it was the right thing for Christian parents to do.

When the time came to go and see the vicar about it, I was terrified because I had been divorced and felt that I was condemned by God forever. I thought I would get out of it by letting Ray go to the vicarage, to make the arrangements, on his own.

I didn’t get out of it so easily though, because the vicar came round to see us. He was so nice and talked to us about Jesus and left us a little book called ‘Journey Into Life’. The next day I read that book and it made me realize that whatever I had done, God loved me and wanted to forgive me.

There and then I said the prayer in the back of the booklet, repenting my sin and asking Jesus to forgive me and come into my life. Till then I had always thought I was a Christian because I had gone to Sunday School as a child and been confirmed as well.

When I stood up in church on the Sunday of the Christening, 18th December 1977, and John asked “Do you turn to Christ, do you repent of your sin, do you renounce evil?” I really and truly meant it when I replied “I turn to Christ, I repent of my sins, I renounce evil”. And that, for me, was the turning point. I was born again. I was made new, born again.

Of course, like any new-born baby, I didn’t know much about it at the time; but babies grow and from that day I began to experience a gradual, deepening awareness of the true meaning of life and of Jesus as a real person. The sky was bluer, I took more notice of the beauty of creation and had a spring in my step that I’d never had before.

I came to know God as a father. Just like a baby begins to recognise his parents, so I began to recognise God and to love him deeply; to know that even when things were far form easy he was there for me.

I was forgiven; my life had a new meaning. I had always suffered with my ‘nerves’ and was taking valium even during my pregnancy, but since the day I turned to Christ I have never had another. He has given me real peace of mind and contentment.

Almost forty five years later I can look back on my life and see the way God has guided me at every turn. I can see the way my faith has grown. I can see the answered prayers and healings and know absolutely that I am in the hands of the living God. My life changed for the better when I asked Jesus into it and I face the future with certainty and hope because of him.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I was age 22
I’d been married for just over two years , and had two babies. Marriage was not what I had dreamed .
He was a drinker. Never at home, always at the Pub for hours and hours on end. Plus , he gambled.

The bright part of my week was when my dad came to visit every Saturday morning.
He was a preacher for the Methodist church and used to go to outlying villages to preach on a Sunday .
I remember saying “ Is this all life is about?”
I ached to know ‘for sure’ that when I finally died I would be happy in heaven forever. ( I knew nothing of the day by day fellowship with the Lord.)

I remember standing at the kitchen sink , crying while washing dirty nappies ….and saying to God- “ I have to know that You and have a purpose in my life. “

My dad sent the local Holiness Pastor to visit me. He was very gentle and invited me to his chapel .
The night I went I “heard “ for the first time all that Jesus had done for us, in closing the gap between God and me , and opening fellowship with God via His sacrifice and the power of His shed blood! It all became crystal clear , my heart leaped.

I’d been to Sunday school for years when a child , but I had never seen the price of salvation or the love of God so clearly as that night.
As they say- “ My eyes were opened and I could see.”

I fell on my knees before the Lord….and I’ve never been the same again. That was in 1964
Much has happened over the years …God is good..

Praise the Lord for His keeping power!

Last edited:

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was age 22
I’d been married for just over two years , and had two babies. Marriage was not what had had dreamed .
He was a drinker. Never at home, always at the Pub for hours and hours on end. Plus he gambled.

The bright part of my week was when my dad came to visit every Saturday morning.
He was a preacher for the Methodist church and used to go to outlying villages to preach on a Sunday .
I remember saying “ Is this all life is about?”
I ached to know ‘for sure’ that when I finally died I would be happy in heaven forever.
I remember standing at the kitchen sink , crying while washing dirty nappies ….and saying to God “ I have to know You and have purpose in my life. “

My dad sent the local Holiness Pastor to visit me. He was very gentle and invited me to his chapel .
The night I went I “heard “ for the first time all that Jesus had done for us, in closing the gap between God and me and opening fellowship with God via His sacrifice and the power of His shed blood!

I’d been to Sunday school when a child , but I had never seen the price of salvation or the love of God so clearly.
As they say- “ My eyes were opened and I could see.”
I fell on my knees that night before the Lord….and I’ve never been the same again. That was in 1964

Praise the Lord for His keeping power!
That's interesting because when I was 22 years old I wanted to be saved so I went down to the local Methodist church, sat through the service and realized, with tears in my eyes that they were not going to be able to help me. I went home sad and defeated. Eventually, I heard the gospel through the 700 Club and in time received Christ and was born again. Think what you want about Pat Robertson and the 700 Club but they taught me what it meant to have a relationship with God, as opposed to having 'religion', and that He knew I was a slave to sin and that He actually cared that I was! Up to then I had always kept my distance from God and trying to stop sinning on my own so I would not be condemned when I left this life. God set me free from that. That was 36 years ago.

Last edited:

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
That's interesting because when I was 22 years old I wanted to be saved so I went down to the local Methodist church, sat through the service and realized, with tears in my eyes that they were not going to be able to help me. I went home sad and defeated. Eventually, I heard the gospel through the 700 Club and in time received Christ and was born again. Think what you want about Pat Robertson and the 700 Club but they taught me what it meant to have a relationship with God, as opposed to having 'religion', and that He knew I was a slave to sin and that He actually cared that I was! Up to then I had always kept my distance from God and trying to stop sinning on my own so I would not be condemned when I left this life. God set me free from that. That was 36 years ago.
So refreshing. I just love it when other people actually 'get' what it means to have a relationship rather than just a religion. I have lost count of those on this site alone who will argue that it isn't possible to have a personal relationship with Jesus.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So long ago now as the flesh counts time, but not far away at all.

At the beginning of 1976, my wife and I with two toddlers were just about to the end of our tolerance for each other. We both loved our children and did not want to divorce or separate, but the pressures were on us.

We had met a young black couple in 1974 who served God sincerely in ways that we had never before experienced. They lived in the apartment above us in Sunnyvale, CA until we moved away due to my job. We got along well with them and loved the help they were always providing us which was much. In spite of that... we lived and talked behind their backs about their tea-totaling nonsensical way of life while we drank our booze and had our "fun".

A couple of years later when our marriage was close to ending, we remembered our black friends who now lived about 50 miles from us. We called them on the telephone and asked the wife if she would care for our children so we could go away alone together to hopefully patch up our lives. As always, the dear sister agreed without hesitation.

It was a Monday when we drove those 50 miles to their home apparently to take advantage of the free babysitter. On the road one of us brought up the subject of the several invitations we had received from them, during the time we had been close neighbors, to attend church services with them to meet also with God. We decided we would ask them if the invitation was still open.

In their apartment we asked the sister. The big smile on her face and words praising God on her lips let us know she thought it was the right question. Her husband was still at work, but she called him immediately and advised him of our request. When he arrived home, he had found with no little difficulty a church that was having a service on Monday evening, a rare thing. That first service was a new beginning for us in our marriage and a real beginning to coming to know God...

We both repented 01-15-1976
We were baptized in water 01-16-1976
My wife, Kathy received the baptism of the Holy Ghost 01-17-1976.
I received the baptism of the Holy Ghost 03-06-1976.

Our marriage has past the 50-year mark now with our offspring consisting of two more generations beyond those two toddlers. In our walk with God, we have been kept for all of these years.

Give God the glory!

Last edited:

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So refreshing. I just love it when other people actually 'get' what it means to have a relationship rather than just a religion. I have lost count of those on this site alone who will argue that it isn't possible to have a personal relationship with Jesus.
Oh, Lord, I would have gone back to the world long, long ago if I had not, by God's grace, found a personal relationship with him and ended up in 'religion'. It's everything.

And, yes, so refreshing to be with others who also know and enjoy a personal relationship with God. I've been living in the desert alone for years and know that I need to get back into face to face fellowship with like minded brothers and sisters. I was in a wonderful fellowship for the first few years of my Christian life where we met together to seek and build our relationships with God in our daily living, not meet to argue who's theology is correct and who's is not. It was the best years of my new life. I haven't found a fellowship like that since. I've been in Bible studies that came close but they lacked certain essential elements to make them 'church'.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
So long ago now as the flesh counts time, but not far away at all.

At the beginning of 1976, my wife and I with two toddlers were just about to the end of our tolerance for each other. We both loved our children and did not want to divorce or separate, but the pressures were on us.

We had met a young black couple in 1974 who served God sincerely in ways that seldom we had never before experienced. They lived in the apartment above us in Sunnyvale, CA until we moved away due to my job. We got along well with them and loved the help they were always providing us which was much. In spite of that... we lived and talked behind their backs about their tea-totaling nonsensical way of life while we drank our booze and had our "fun".

A couple of years later when our marriage was close to ending, we remembered our black friends who now lived about 50 miles from us. We called them on the telephone and asked the wife if she would care for our children so we could go away alone together to hopefully patch up our lives. As always, the dear sister agreed without hesitation.

It was a Monday when we drove those 50 miles to their home apparently to take advantage of the free babysitter. On the road one of us brought up the subject of the several invitations we had received from them, during the time we had been close neighbors, to attend church services with them to meet also with God. We decided we would ask them if the invitation was still open.

In their apartment we asked the sister. The big smile on her face and words praising God on her lips let us know she thought it was the right question. Her husband was still at work, but she called him immediately and advised him of our request. When he arrived home, he had found with no little difficulty a church that was having a service on Monday evening, a rare thing. That first service was a new beginning for us in our marriage and a real beginning to coming to know God...

We both repented 01-15-1976
We were baptized in water 01-16-1976
My wife, Kathy received the baptism of the Holy Ghost 01-17-1976.
I received the baptism of the Holy Ghost 03-06-1976.

Our marriage has past the 50-year mark now with our offspring consisting of two more generations beyond those two toddlers. In our walk with God, we have been kept for all of these years.

Give God the glory!
Absolutely wonderful uplifting testimony.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Oh, Lord, I would have gone back to the world long, long ago if I had not, by God's grace, found a personal relationship with him and ended up in 'religion'. It's everything.

And, yes, so refreshing to be with others who also know and enjoy a personal relationship with God. I've been living in the desert alone for years and know that I need to get back into face to face fellowship with like minded brothers and sisters. I was in a wonderful fellowship for the first few years of my Christian life where we met together to seek and build our relationships with God in our daily living, not meet to argue who's theology is correct and who's is not. It was the best years of my new life. I haven't found a fellowship like that since. I've been in Bible studies that came close but they lacked certain essential elements to make them 'church'.
I've only ever belonged to two fellowships in 45 years; the Anglican church whose wonderful vicar and wife discipled me in the early days and the church I left there for when I knew I needed to be properly baptised. And like you say - no arguing.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

God used the 700 club for you..
One of the things that got me started and seeking the Lord was Herbert Armstrong and the British Israelites stuff ! haha!

If God spoke through Baalams ass , He can speak through anything…it sparked my interest on things of God , and when time was ready ….the Holiness pastor was there to lead me into The Way of Truth .

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Although I had gone to the Sunday school of the local Anglican church for years I hadn't really heard about Jesus in a real way until I was 10 or 11 when our next door neighbour, who was the pastor at the Railway Mission took us to a week long children's evangelism event at his church. It was lovely. I heard stories of God and how He touched people's lives - my favourite was Naaman. I also heard stories of Jesus and how he wants to come into our lives. I stayed behind one night to find out more and asked Jesus to com into my heart. My parent wouldn't let me go regularly on Sundays though once the week was over. I think probably my dad was a bit of a snob and even though he never went near a church to have children at the CoE sounded better than a mission church. But still I believe God had his hand on me and many years later I came to him as an adult.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
..Eventually, I heard the gospel through the 700 Club and in time received Christ and was born again. Think what you want about Pat Robertson and the 700 Club but they taught me what it meant to have a relationship with God, as opposed to having 'religion', and that He knew I was a slave to sin and that He actually cared that I was!..
I find it interesting that you mentioned the 700 Club. I remember as a teenager watching the 700 Club (prior to my conversion while still searching for the truth) and I must have prayed the sinner's prayer with Pat Robertson a half of dozen times or so expecting something miraculous to happen, but nothing happened. My problem at that time was there was no repentance and faith on my part and I thought that just by reciting those words as a magical formula would cause a miracle to happen. I was a very confused Roman Catholic at that time.

I eventually came to receive Jesus Christ through faith years later on a late Saturday night. About a month prior to that, my mother in law had passed away and I was thinking very seriously about the afterlife. Soon after she had passed away, I remember asking Jesus Christ that whatever it takes to get me to heaven, just put the answer right in front of my face so that I will know with absolute assurance here is the answer and now it's up to me to accept the truth.

I had no assurance of salvation prior to my conversion because I was trusting in works for salvation and not in Christ alone. Also, just prior to my conversion, I had read through a gospel tract that really caught my attention which led me to thoroughly search through the Scriptures. I knew the Lord was drawing me. Finally, after reading through the book of Romans and eventually the book of Ephesians, I came to Ephesians 2:8,9 and that's when the light came on! I had then placed my faith (belief, trust, reliance) in Christ alone for salvation and knew without a doubt that I had become born again! Praise the Lord! upload_2022-8-21_7-23-47.gif

I remember over the years how several people had tried to explain the gospel to me, but at that time the truth just went right over my head, but right after my conversion, I could look back and say, "that's what he meant, that's what she meant, that's what they meant!" Praise God! :)

Christianity is about a relationship with Jesus Christ and not legalistic, religious bondage to a church and works righteousness. John 17:3 - And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent (which is an intimate, experiential knowledge, found only in a relationship). The term "know" implies intimate, experiential knowledge, through a relationship with Him, not merely theoretical knowledge.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I find it interesting that you mentioned the 700 Club. I remember as a teenager watching the 700 Club (prior to my conversion while still searching for the truth) and I must have prayed the sinner's prayer with Pat Robertson a half of dozen times or so expecting something miraculous to happen, but nothing happened. My problem at that time was there was no repentance and faith on my part and I thought that just by reciting those words as a magical formula would cause a miracle to happen. I was a very confused Roman Catholic at that time.

I eventually came to receive Jesus Christ through faith years later on a late Saturday night. About a month prior to that, my mother in law had passed away and I was thinking very seriously about the afterlife. Soon after she had passed away, I remember asking Jesus Christ that whatever it takes to get me to heaven, just put the answer right in front of my face so that I will know with absolute assurance here is the answer and now it's up to me to accept the truth.

I had no assurance of salvation prior to my conversion because I was trusting in works for salvation and not in Christ alone. Also, just prior to my conversion, I had read through a gospel tract that really caught my attention which led me to thoroughly search through the Scriptures. I knew the Lord was drawing me. Finally, after reading through the book of Romans and eventually the book of Ephesians, I came to Ephesians 2:8,9 and that's when the light came on! I had then placed my faith (belief, trust, reliance) in Christ alone for salvation and knew without a doubt that I had become born again! Praise the Lord! View attachment 25321

I remember over the years how several people had tried to explain the gospel to me, but at that time the truth just went right over my head, but right after my conversion, I could look back and say, "that's what he meant, that's what she meant, that's what they meant!" Praise God! :)

Christianity is about a relationship with Jesus Christ and not legalistic, religious bondage to a church and works righteousness. John 17:3 - And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent (which is an intimate, experiential knowledge, found only in a relationship). The term "know" implies intimate, experiential knowledge, through a relationship with Him, not merely theoretical knowledge.
I love to hear how other people became born again, it is so uplifting and inspiring. It's also encouraging on a site like this to know that along with the cultish members there are also true disciples.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I love to hear how other people became born again, it is so uplifting and inspiring. It's also encouraging on a site like this to know that along with the cultish members there are also true disciples.
Giving testimonies in an open fellowship church is a wonderful time of encouragement and faith building. It's an old fashioned word now, but 'edified' is the word used to describe how the body gets built up in the Holy Spirit as we fellowship with each other in open meetings (I suspect you know the term well). Any time the body gets edified robust prayer, praise and worship, and ministry results...and life long, unforgettable bonds of fellowship develop. To this day I still think about beautiful Spirit-filled people I fellowshipped with in the open church fellowship I attended back in the late 80's and early 90's. It's an undeniable bond of the Spirit. I miss it so much.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was saved while I was alone in my home. I was 19 years old and opened and read the Bible for the first time in my life. I was convicted on the spot and threw myself on the mercy of the Judge.
"13But the tax collector stood at a distance, unwilling even to lift up his eyes to heaven. Instead, he beat his breast and said, ‘God, have mercy on me, a sinner!’ " Luke 18:13

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I find salvation testimonies so encouraging …and they give glory to God and remind us thatGod still hears and answers prayer. Not only does God hear our prayer , but we learned how to hear His Voice to be led …

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One of the things that got me started and seeking the Lord was Herbert Armstrong and the British Israelites stuff ! haha!
Lol, me too!

I have noticed that God will use whatever ministry is willing to reach out to people despite their doctrine. It seems like the fringe beliefs seem to be more zealous for 'take it to the people' evangelism than mainstream churches and God uses it. Before I got saved I discovered Herbert Armstrong's newsletters in a drugstore that I used to stop in everyday on a route I drove picking up film to be developed. This place was way out in the boonies. One day my girlfriend, now my wife, happened into the same drugstore when by some weird chance she was out there with the woman she lived with. She picked up Armstrong's newsletter and showed it to me later. I asked her where she got it. It was weird that God was reaching out to her that way, the same way and in the same weird place that he was reaching out to me. Sometimes God makes himself very obvious.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What a mighty God we serve!
There's this ginormous cross in my community. I mean it's big. At first I cautiously thought to myself maybe the money could be better spent than erecting an enormous cross. Then one day I walked up to it and looked up at it and immediately I saw how big it really is and that they didn't make it big enough (true story). Every thought of it's expense has been forever erased from my mind. God is so much bigger and awesome than even this huge monument to Him. How do you build something big enough and expansive enough to express the greatness of God? You can't.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
There's this ginormous cross in my community. I mean it's big. At first I cautiously thought to myself maybe the money could be better spent than erecting an enormous cross. Then one day I walked up to it and looked up at it and immediately I saw how big it really is and that they didn't make it big enough (true story). Every thought of it's expense has been forever erased from my mind. God is so much bigger and awesome than even this huge monument to Him. How do you build something big enough and expansive enough to express the greatness of God? You can't.
Those who built the great cathedrals had a good try. Durham in the north of England is awesome built in the time of William the conqueror. And to think there was no modern lifting or cutting machinery.