How do I know I am saved

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bondsemerson

Mar 22, 2008
I prayed the sinners prayer couple of months ago,and asked God to come into my life,and in the prayer I told God that I belived he sent his son Jesus to die for my sins and rose again...Now a couple of months on I am still reading my bible going to a church on sunday that preaches the Gospel, and pray every day,but just wondering how can I be sure I am saved...Thing is i am having problem repeating from certain things,and keep go back sinning,I prey to God to help me but I have very little will power and go back and do the sin again...Just wondering cos if i were to die tonight would I still be saved...please help...

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Yes the minute you uttered the Words a couple months ago you were saved We are saved by the grace of God as soon as we claim it which you did Keep repenting when you backslide and keep asking God for the streghth to resist. We all have sinned none are perfect. unfortunatley we must battle against sin and flesh everyday never doubt that he doesnt understand this. He loves you for accepting him and trying to battle these things.

followerofchrist

Nov 22, 2007
(bondsemerson;46633)
I prayed the sinners prayer couple of months ago,and asked God to come into my life,and in the prayer I told God that I belived he sent his son Jesus to die for my sins and rose again...Now a couple of months on I am still reading my bible going to a church on sunday that preaches the Gospel, and pray every day,but just wondering how can I be sure I am saved...Thing is i am having problem repeating from certain things,and keep go back sinning,I prey to God to help me but I have very little will power and go back and do the sin again...Just wondering cos if i were to die tonight would I still be saved...please help...
Its like Kriss said, once you said that prayer and accepted Jesus into your heart you were saved. And its natural to experience doubt, most people do. Just continue to pray and spend time reading God's word. The doubt will go away eventually. Pray to God about your doubt, dump all your worries on God. He will take care of you
smile.gif

Mikey

Jan 22, 2008
Read the First letter of John, it helps with this question. Also, make sure you really believe what the prayer says and really want to live it out. The prayer in itself does not save you. It is your change in heart making a gradual chnage in your lifestyle that shows you are saved.When you sin ask God for forgiveness and ask Him to help you not to sin anymore. We all sin, but God will help you sin less and less all the time
smile.gif
I think a good way to tell if you're saved is if you love Gods Law and hate sin. This does not mean you don't sin, but when you do, you regret it. Gods law should make you feel good. If Gods law is more like a damper on your life or you feel like its keeping you from fun, I would say you aren't saved. But fact that you see your sin shows that you want to follow Gods will. And remember repenting is a change of mind about sin, it doesn't mean you will never sin again. So if you hate sin, you have repented of it.

bondsemerson

Mar 22, 2008
Thanks for comments,well what I can say since I preyed that prayer when I do sin I get like alarm bells telling me to stop or dont do it again,so I have changed in the fact that I am more aware now when I am doing wrong.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Thats often how God speaks to us once you awaken that spirit within its like a conscience that still little voice inside us thats says YOU SHOULD DO THAT we still have free will to do it anyway but as you say, we know it was wrong. So we repenthang in there he is listening

beargins

Apr 22, 2008
Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?(II Corinthians 13:5, KJV)He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son.(I John 5:10, KJV)To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins.(Acts 10:43, KJV)Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded.(I Peter 2:6, KJV)a sinners prayer was never mentioned in the bible(kjv),The angel of the Lord encampeth round about them that fear him, and delivereth them. (Psalms 34:7, KJV). How to get saved? well :Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.(Acts 2:38, KJV)
wink.gif
Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.(James 2:19, KJV)look, obviously you feel this way for a reason, (good or bad) i don't know, but according to my bible we are called to examine ourselves! dont trust your heart, trust the word of God and His Son Jesus and His Holy spirit. because the bible says:The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?(Jeremiah 17:9, KJV)Thus saith the Lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeth from the Lord.(Jeremiah 17:5, KJV)Pray!Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.(Matthew 7:21, KJV)

zon3d

Apr 23, 2008
Examine the way you are living and see if you are living in a lifestyle of sin. If so, that might be a sign you are not saved. Are you growing in holiness? It's not about perfection, but rather direction.

bondsemerson

Mar 22, 2008
I would not say i am living in a lifestyle of sin,Just every now and again I find myself sinning,I am not baptised but I did ask God into my life through prayer and told him I am a sinner and asked him to help me battle against my wordly addictions...

eternalarcadia

Nov 15, 2007
Hey, I dont think it's going to be a change overnight. We have to grow more and more in fellowship with God, but im sure you know that. I agree with Mikey that once saved, you'll start to be offended will people sin - I know thats how I feel.

Jon-Marc

Jun 8, 2007
Jacumba, CA
(bondsemerson;46633)
If there was repentance (a change of mind) on your part, you were and still are saved. What we do or don't do after we're saved does not determine if we're going to heaven or not. That was settled the moment you did as Romans 10:13 says and called upon the name of the Lord in repentance. "Whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved." It does NOT say, "As long as you never sin again." He knows we will, but He is "just and faithful to forgive us our sins", and that does not just mean up to the point of salvation. The righteousness of Christ is sufficient to keep us saved. He didn't go through all he went through just to have us all lose our salvation the first time we sin as a newborn Christian. I'm sure I sinned again the day I was saved.The power of God is greater than that; His love is unending, and His grace is unlimited. I serve a God Who is perfectly capable of keeping me saved. After all, He knew when He saved us that we would still sin. The difference is that although we're not SINLESS yet, we can SIN LESS, and LESS, and LESS. We should no longer be slaves to sin, but servants of the Most High.

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
(bondsemerson;46633)
I think the advice you got here on this board is very good. Listen well to these folks. Like they said, if you came to Christ, you are saved. I know that feeling. When I was younger I went through the same thing, and now years later I see it is actually a good sign to question in this regard.But here's two favorite verses of mine that will help you put your mind at ease.Jesus said, "All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out."The fact that you want the Lord in your life and are concerned shows you came to him. It also shows that God called you because of your desire otherwise you would not care. OK---- now that you came, here's another verse I love in Numbers:God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good? He said that you would come, and said that He would save. Would He not make it good?Blessings to you.

percoid

Jun 20, 2008
All i can do is tell u what happened to me. I went to a revival and when the alter call was given I went forward I was crying like a baby i was truly sorry for my sins. I repented and recieved Christ as my savior and it felt like the world was lifted from my shoulders. 2 or 3 nights later I went back to the alter to recieve God's Spirit into my heart and God allowed me to feel my heart being purifyed. I could hardly believe how filthy black my heart was. Yes to recieve God's Spirit into ur heart is a seperate event. When u repent and recieve Jesus there r 3 things that happen. 1. Sin is forgiven and taken out of the way. 2.Because of sin we r spiritually dead to God but now we r spiritually alive to God (born again). 3. the inborn nature is suppressed but not taken out of ur heart. This second step is what I call the real decision because of what it requires. God must be number 1 in ur life or what is MOST IMPORTANT to u. What is MOST IMPORTANT to u? It is what u WANT (desire) more than anyone or anything. It is what u will give up all else to get and keep. It is what u will do anything to get and keep. It is what u will go anywhere to get and keep. So How much do u WANT God? Trust is the key. Trust God so much that u can give up or go or do and know that God will take care of u and ur family. We must also surrender 100% of our will to God becasue the bible says that we have a master and we r not our own. Most will fail to recieve God's Spirit because they r like the young rich man when given a choice between what is MOST IMPORTANT to them and God they will choose what is MOST IMPORTANT to them. If they try to continue they will become what the bible refers to as the MANY in Matthew 7:22 & 23. Scripture (KJV or NKJV) The gospel of John 1:12 (But as many as recieved Him, to them gave He power TO BECOME the sons of God, even to them that believe on His name.) If we recieved God's Spirit when we repented it would read (But as many as recieved Him became the sons of God).I hope this helps u.