How do you do bible study?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are not qualified to quote the Epistles since you have not obeyed Acts 2:38.

You do understand that, right?

Do you still not understand that we do not obey the "Epistles" but rather the Epistles were written to get us to seek Jesus Christ and Him as our Lord, so that we hear and obey Him??

This is exactly what was meant by Jesus when He said,:

Jn 5:39 - 42 You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; it is these that testify about Me; and you are unwilling to come to Me so that you may have life. “I do not receive glory from men; but I know you, that you do not have the love of God in yourselves.

And as for being qualified, that too comes from hearing the Lord, not trying to obey Scriptures, but Him!

Heb 5:11,12 Concerning him we have much to say, and it is hard to explain, since you have become dull of hearing. For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you have need again for someone to teach you the elementary principles of the oracles of God, and you have come to need milk and not solid food.

If you were hearing from Him regularly so that you were not dull of hearing, then this is simple. You would listen to Him personally for your instructions, so you would not be trying to follow and obey the verses in the Bible, but instead you would hear Him Teaching you about them. So the verses were not meant to get instructions from but teachings from, and the person being taught by the Lord would know and understand this. The instructions we get are not from the Book or Law, but directly from our Lord Jesus Christ, which is why we know Him and confess Him as Lord!

Therefore. by what you are writing that I need to obey the writings, show that you are not hearing form Him, being taught by Him, getting instructions from Him, but rather it shows that you are like those Jesus told they searched the Scriptures instead of coming to Him!

And while just saying, "Listen to the Lord Jesus Christ" is a very simple and easy thing to be said, and something a person who is not dull of hearing but rather seeks the Lord regularly clearly and instantly would understand, to you it is like speaking in a foreign language. So much has to be explained! Still, does not your pride get in the way of actually considering that Jesus Christ is actually there to be heard from?

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As far as I know, none of the people on this forum were there listening to Peter.

Acts 2:40, With many other words he warned them; and he pleaded with them, “Save yourselves from this corrupt generation.”
Acts 2:38 was only for the 3000 in Jerusalem? Is that what folks are teaching these days?

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you still not understand that we do not obey the "Epistles" but rather the Epistles were written to get us to seek Jesus Christ and Him as our Lord, so that we hear and obey Him??

This is exactly what was meant by Jesus when He said,:

Jn 5:39 - 42 You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; it is these that testify about Me; and you are unwilling to come to Me so that you may have life. “I do not receive glory from men; but I know you, that you do not have the love of God in yourselves.

And as for being qualified, that too comes from hearing the Lord, not trying to obey Scriptures, but Him!

Heb 5:11,12 Concerning him we have much to say, and it is hard to explain, since you have become dull of hearing. For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you have need again for someone to teach you the elementary principles of the oracles of God, and you have come to need milk and not solid food.

If you were hearing from Him regularly so that you were not dull of hearing, then this is simple. You would listen to Him personally for your instructions, so you would not be trying to follow and obey the verses in the Bible, but instead you would hear Him Teaching you about them. So the verses were not meant to get instructions from but teachings from, and the person being taught by the Lord would know and understand this. The instructions we get are not from the Book or Law, but directly from our Lord Jesus Christ, which is why we know Him and confess Him as Lord!

Therefore. by what you are writing that I need to obey the writings, show that you are not hearing form Him, being taught by Him, getting instructions from Him, but rather it shows that you are like those Jesus told they searched the Scriptures instead of coming to Him!

And while just saying, "Listen to the Lord Jesus Christ" is a very simple and easy thing to be said, and something a person who is not dull of hearing but rather seeks the Lord regularly clearly and instantly would understand, to you it is like speaking in a foreign language. So much has to be explained! Still, does not your pride get in the way of actually considering that Jesus Christ is actually there to be heard from?
No, we obey the gospels, Acts, then the Epistles. In that specific order.

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, we obey the gospels, Acts, then the Epistles. In that specific order.
No, Those of us who personally know Jesus Christ as our Saviour, know that we are following Him because we hear His voice!

Obviously, you are not hearing His voice, or you would understand what I am saying!

That problem is covered in the Bible!

Jn 8:43 “Why do you not understand what I am saying? It is because you cannot hear My word.

And that is what I have been telling you along! You need to seek Jesus Christ and the words He has to say to you personally. And the "Good News" is that anyone can to that! And that is the Word of God (Him) that I have been preaching.

Rev 3: 19,20 ‘Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline; therefore be zealous and repent. ‘Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and will dine with him, and he with Me.

So you just need to repent of leaning on your own understanding so that you will turn and seek the voice of Him who has been just standing there knocking with His voice to get your attention, and He will come into you and dine with you and you with Him!

You can be that "anyone", but you have to get away from that pride which is telling you that "you know", and seek the Word of God (Jesus Christ) who has the words of God for you personally! You will find those words in your heart and even your mouth, because Jesus Christ sends His Holy Spirit to speaks to your spirit. So that if you decided to seek the Lord of lords and King of kings and listen to Him then you will be emersed is the Holy Spirit who will put you in touch with Jesus Christ, kind of like a phone line or now a days like a computer that gives you a live stream puts you in touch with your Teacher.

We obey, the Lord which is why He is called The Lord! We listen to the Teacher who will of course use the Textbook (The Scriptures) and explain them to you!

So, we do not "obey" the Textbook (the Bible) but we studied it!!!!

And then we go to class (get into that quiet place with the Lord our God and Teacher) and listen to what He has to teach us!

The textbook (The Bible) is not the Lord and Teacher!! It is just a book to be studied! It is not a person that we might obey it!! That would be making an idol (a god) out of the ink on paper we call the Bible. Because God told Moses to part the Red Sea, you are not thinking you have to do that to be a Christian, are you? Perhaps you are thinking you have to march around and round Jericho? So just because the Lord Jesus Christ, who Peter personally knew and learned from, told Peter to baptize 3000 people that does not mean He has that assignment of you!! And if He has not told you personally to do something, then you are not doing it in His name!!

But I am telling you that I am posting on this Christian Forum this morning in the Name of Jesus Christ, because again this morning He told me to come and post.

Of course I also just heard from Him that again I am going a bit long. So while I am doing things in His name, meaning I am doing what He asked, I am not the perfect One, and am instead just an anyone who decided to believe in Him so I try and listen to Him and do what He asks. He asks that I try and get people to listen to Him personally!

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You lie against Apostle Peter then...

2 Peter 3:1-3
3 This second epistle, beloved, I now write unto you; in both which I stir up your pure minds by way of remembrance:

That ye may be mindful of the words which were spoken before by the holy prophets, and of the commandment of us the apostles of the Lord and Saviour:

3 Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts,
KJV

The only thing you are mindful of is teaching lies AGAINST THE SCRIPTURES, in attempt to try and get Christians to REJECT SCRIPTURE STUDY. MAY GOD REBUKE YOU!

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You lie against Apostle Peter then...

2 Peter 3:1-3
3 This second epistle, beloved, I now write unto you; in both which I stir up your pure minds by way of remembrance:

That ye may be mindful of the words which were spoken before by the holy prophets, and of the commandment of us the apostles of the Lord and Saviour:

3 Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts,
KJV

The only thing you are mindful of is teaching lies AGAINST THE SCRIPTURES, in attempt to try and get Christians to REJECT SCRIPTURE STUDY. MAY GOD REBUKE YOU!
It is not the lies against the Scriptures that will get you, but the rejecting of Jesus Christ which will get you!

And where did you get the idea that I was against studying the Scriptures? What lying spirit have you been listening to?

Let me show you again what I wrote concerning the Scriptures:

And look again at what I have written! Who used more Scriptures to support what they had, you or me? It was not you!!

but you are thinking the Scriptures and following them will save you! That is not so!! And who many times are you going to over looked what Jesus Christ said to those like you??

Jn 5: 39-41 You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; it is these that testify about Me; and you are unwilling to come to Me so that you may have life. “I do not receive glory from men;

I pointed that section of Scripture out to you many times before, but you cann't except it because you rejected Jesus Christ whose voice His sheep hear!

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, Those of us who personally know Jesus Christ as our Saviour, know that we are following Him because we hear His voice!

Obviously, you are not hearing His voice, or you would understand what I am saying!

That problem is covered in the Bible!

Jn 8:43 “Why do you not understand what I am saying? It is because you cannot hear My word.

And that is what I have been telling you along! You need to seek Jesus Christ and the words He has to say to you personally. And the "Good News" is that anyone can to that! And that is the Word of God (Him) that I have been preaching.

Rev 3: 19,20 ‘Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline; therefore be zealous and repent. ‘Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and will dine with him, and he with Me.

So you just need to repent of leaning on your own understanding so that you will turn and seek the voice of Him who has been just standing there knocking with His voice to get your attention, and He will come into you and dine with you and you with Him!

You can be that "anyone", but you have to get away from that pride which is telling you that "you know", and seek the Word of God (Jesus Christ) who has the words of God for you personally! You will find those words in your heart and even your mouth, because Jesus Christ sends His Holy Spirit to speaks to your spirit. So that if you decided to seek the Lord of lords and King of kings and listen to Him then you will be emersed is the Holy Spirit who will put you in touch with Jesus Christ, kind of like a phone line or now a days like a computer that gives you a live stream puts you in touch with your Teacher.

We obey, the Lord which is why He is called The Lord! We listen to the Teacher who will of course use the Textbook (The Scriptures) and explain them to you!

And then we go to class (get into that quiet place with the Lord our God and Teacher) and listen to what He has to teach us!

The textbook (The Bible) is not the Lord and Teacher!! It is just a book to be studied! It is not a person that we might obey it!! That would be making an idol (a god) out of the ink on paper we call the Bible. Because God told Moses to part the Red Sea, you are not thinking you have to do that to be a Christian, are you? Perhaps you are thinking you have to march around and round Jericho? So just because the Lord Jesus Christ, who Peter personally knew and learned from, told Peter to baptize 3000 people that does not mean He has that assignment of you!! And if He has not told you personally to do something, then you are not doing it in His name!!

But I am telling you that I am posting on this Christian Forum this morning in the Name of Jesus Christ, because again this morning He told me to come and post.

Of course I also just heard from Him that again I am going a bit long. So while I am doing things in His name, meaning I am doing what He asked, I am not the perfect One, and am instead just an anyone who decided to believe in Him so I try and listen to Him and do what He asks. He asks that I try and get people to listen to Him personally!
Skip the Bible and listen to a "voice" instead?

• Love
Reactions: GRACE ambassador

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rather, listen to the word of the Lord via the Bible.
That is not what the Bible tells you to do, that is why Jesus told the Pharisees:

Jn 5:39, 40 You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; it is these that testify about Me; and you are unwilling to come to Me so that you may have life.

and

Jn 5: 46,47 “For if you believed Moses, you would believe Me, for he wrote about Me. “But if you do not believe his writings, how will you believe My words?”

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jn 5:39, 40 You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; it is these that testify about Me; and you are unwilling to come to Me so that you may have life.
Jn 5: 46,47 “For if you believed Moses, you would believe Me, for he wrote about Me. “But if you do not believe his writings, how will you believe My words?”
Think about it.

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Think about it.
Yes indeed, Think about it!

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes indeed, Think about it!

The scriptures...these...his writings...think about it.

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah - I read and see that those people searched the Scriptures but didn't know Him or come to Him for His words to them. I read and saw that though they read the writings of Moses and studied them, they still did not think about Jesus Christ and hear His words to them, tough Moses told them to.

And it is easy to compare you to them and realize that you are just like those who searched the Scriptures thinking in them!! But that you did not come to realize that He speaks to us personally!!

So I have been trying to help you out, but you are unwilling to seek Him and thinking about Him. You keep on writing "

Instead of seek Jesus Christ by faith, and listening to Him! So a day will come when He will tell you "I never knew you", and that will be your end.

Mat 7:23 “And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.’

I know Him!! The first words He told me were, "Read Your Bible", which partially explains why I use more scriptures to make my point than you do. Still, the most common words I hear from Him are, "Karl, I love you." Perhaps you read something in the Bible about Him calling His sheep by name.

Jn 10:3 “To him the doorkeeper opens, and the sheep hear his voice, and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out.

Yet you keep thinking about the Scriptures and not about Him at all!

So you even try to pick certain words out of a verse to make it sound like you want, hoping that "thinking about it", instead of 'thinking about Him' will save you. How wrong, how sad, will your ending be?

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah - I read and see that those people searched the Scriptures but didn't know Him or come to Him for His words to them. I read and saw that though they read the writings of Moses and studied them, they still did not think about Jesus Christ and hear His words to them, tough Moses told them to.

And it is easy to compare you to them and realize that you are just like those who searched the Scriptures thinking in them!! But that you did not come to realize that He speaks to us personally!!

So I have been trying to help you out, but you are unwilling to seek Him and thinking about Him. You keep on writing "

Instead of seek Jesus Christ by faith, and listening to Him! So a day will come when He will tell you "I never knew you", and that will be your end.

Mat 7:23 “And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.’

I know Him!! The first words He told me were, "Read Your Bible", which partially explains why I use more scriptures to make my point than you do. Still, the most common words I hear from Him are, "Karl, I love you." Perhaps you read something in the Bible about Him calling His sheep by name.

Jn 10:3 “To him the doorkeeper opens, and the sheep hear his voice, and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out.

Yet you keep thinking about the Scriptures and not about Him at all!

So you even try to pick certain words out of a verse to make it sound like you want, hoping that "thinking about it", instead of 'thinking about Him' will save you. How wrong, how sad, will your ending be?
No, Jesus said to search the scriptures to know him. You are saying know him but don’t search the scriptures. You’re teaching just the opposite of Jesus. Obey Acts 2:38.

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, Jesus said to search the scriptures to know him. You are saying know him but don’t search the scriptures. You’re teaching just the opposite of Jesus. Obey Acts 2:38.
Where did Jesus say that??? He didn't!

We are told in the Scriptures:

2 Tim 3: 15 and that from childhood you have known the sacred writings which are able to give you the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

Yet notice the "able to" - it doesn't mean they do! A person can try and turn the meaning around so they can think knowing the Scriptures is knowing Him - as you are obviously doing - In you trying to claim that Jesus Christ was not the Word we read about in John 1 - and in you thinking the you read the Scriptures to know Him. That is not what is written!! But it was the thinking of the Pharisees, which explains why they did not know Him even though He stood in front of them in the flesh.

Reading a book about a person does not mean you know them. You can read every line of every book ever written about Jesus Christ, and that does not mean you know Him!!

However, if you sat down and started talking back and forth with them, say over lunch or dinner, then you would get to know that person. If you did that everyday called "Today" then you would become good friends with them. Your failure to understand what makes a relationship is causing you great problems. Indeed, you are in danger of that day coming to where He is going to tell many that He never knew them. He if even going to tell those who were doing things in His name, that He never knew them. Obviously, they had never spent time just talking with Him, so they were not getting their instructions from The Word of God.

And everything you write points to you being a person just like that, who search the Scriptures thinking they are going give them eternal like, but they are unwilling to come to Him.

If you indeed get to know Him, you will know that He is a person and not a book. So to know Him you have to know the person, and that is what the Book told you. The Book (your Bible) was able to give you the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus, but it obviously didn't otherwise you would understand what I am telling you and also what the writers of the Bible were trying to tell you!

Jesus Christ is the called The Word of God because He has the words of God and wants us to listen to Him!! That is done via His Holy Spirit, and not the Bible. It is the Bible that explains all this, but some are unwilling to come to Him!

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where did Jesus say that??? He didn't!

We are told in the Scriptures:

2 Tim 3: 15 and that from childhood you have known the sacred writings which are able to give you the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

Yet notice the "able to" - it doesn't mean they do! A person can try and turn the meaning around so they can think knowing the Scriptures is knowing Him - as you are obviously doing - In you trying to claim that Jesus Christ was not the Word we read about in John 1 - and in you thinking the you read the Scriptures to know Him. That is not what is written!! But it was the thinking of the Pharisees, which explains why they did not know Him even though He stood in front of them in the flesh.

Reading a book about a person does not mean you know them. You can read every line of every book ever written about Jesus Christ, and that does not mean you know Him!!

However, if you sat down and started talking back and forth with them, say over lunch or dinner, then you would get to know that person. If you did that everyday called "Today" then you would become good friends with them. Your failure to understand what makes a relationship is causing you great problems. Indeed, you are in danger of that day coming to where He is going to tell many that He never knew them. He if even going to tell those who were doing things in His name, that He never knew them. Obviously, they had never spent time just talking with Him, so they were not getting their instructions from The Word of God.

And everything you write points to you being a person just like that, who search the Scriptures thinking they are going give them eternal like, but they are unwilling to come to Him.

If you indeed get to know Him, you will know that He is a person and not a book. So to know Him you have to know the person, and that is what the Book told you. The Book (your Bible) was able to give you the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus, but it obviously didn't otherwise you would understand what I am telling you and also what the writers of the Bible were trying to tell you!

Jesus Christ is the called The Word of God because He has the words of God and wants us to listen to Him!! That is done via His Holy Spirit, and not the Bible. It is the Bible that explains all this, but some are unwilling to come to Him!
Do you believe in Jesus as the scripture hath said per John 7, or do you believe in Jesus as the scripture hath not said? Obey Acts 2:38.

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you believe in Jesus as the scripture hath said per John 7, or do you believe in Jesus as the scripture hath not said? Obey Acts 2:38.
HA HA HA -- Your joking, right?

Jesus is not a Book!! And the Scriptures does say that!!!

And where in John 7 can you get that conclusion???

Jn 7:1After these things Jesus was walking in Galilee, for He was unwilling to walk in Judea because the Jews were seeking to kill Him.

So you think a Book was just walking about worried that someone would kill that walking Book??

How silly can you get??? Jesus is a person, the Son of God. He has always been a person, but it is written the God is spirit. Do you not understand that there are spiritual beings. None like Him, because He is One with God, but a person you can talking to but can also choose not to believe and thus not to talk to Him.

So of course I don't believe in "Jesus as the scriptures", and it is amazingly silly to even think such a thing. You are making Him out to be some cartoon character!! A walking book, that is funny,

It is also sad, because many think readng the Bible is hearing from Him! They are indeed making the Him to be a book instead of a person you can hear from!

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
HA HA HA -- Your joking, right?

Jesus is not a Book!! And the Scriptures does say that!!!

And where in John 7 can you get that conclusion???

Jn 7:1After these things Jesus was walking in Galilee, for He was unwilling to walk in Judea because the Jews were seeking to kill Him.

So you think a Book was just walking about worried that someone would kill that walking Book??

How silly can you get??? Jesus is a person, the Son of God. He has always been a person, but it is written the God is spirit. Do you not understand that there are spiritual beings. None like Him, because He is One with God, but a person you can talking to but can also choose not to believe and thus not to talk to Him.

So of course I don't believe in "Jesus as the scriptures", and it is amazingly silly to even think such a thing. You are making Him out to be some cartoon character!! A walking book, that is funny,

It is also sad, because many think readng the Bible is hearing from Him! They are indeed making the Him to be a book instead of a person you can hear from!
38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.