How Do You Handle Conviction?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It took me a while to know how to put on the whole armour of God and I think there are still chinks.

Reactions: April_Rose

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
It took me a while to know how to put on the whole armour of God and I think there are still chinks.
@Pearl I'm sure this is true of all of us. I like what Paul says:

"Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,

14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 3.13-14)

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I don't like being convicted,.. at all. I know it means that I'm saved and I say that I'm sorry to God shortly afterwards but I still feel guilty that I've sinned. I always think to myself that even though God forgives me, I don't feel like I deserve it. :( Of course I guess I don't which is why Jesus came,.. but still,.. it really stinks. :(
Conviction is God's Sprit saying 'you are in error, not this way'. It is also the prompt to choose to change direction...permanently; to realise one's cup is empty and to have a desire to learn of the good things.

Feelings are important yet they are not the sole reference point. If our primary interest is to feel good we will continually be overcome.

God's Spirit gives birth to a desire and love for righteousness. If that is absent and the sole desire is to feel good, another spirit is in the drivers seat.

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@April_Rose Some places don't use robes; if the person is okay in pants (or trousers they call them in England).

Oh well I was just wondering. I was baptized into a Methodist church so I just had the water poured on me. I know some people are picky but it's what's in the heart that counts otherwise it wouldn't mean anything anyways.

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Conviction is God's Sprit saying 'you are in error, not this way'. It is also the prompt to choose to change direction...permanently; to realise one's cup is empty and to have a desire to learn of the good things.

You make it sound like a GPS. :D

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@Pearl So memorable, I'm sure, right? :)
Absolutely, one of the best days of my life and Ray got baptised at the same time.

upload_2020-12-7_21-44-53.png
That's my daughter in the pretty white blouse to the right of the photo. It was very hot and very noisy. Our church was lovely and Iv'e seen most of these kids grow up. We didn't have a baptismal pool so we borrowed another church for baptisms back then.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I wasn't even born yet then lol but good for you but where's your robe?
What robe? Jesus didn't wear a special robe. Back then I didn't have many nice things and we all just went in the water in our ordinary clothes. We still do it that way, and a few years ago I got to baptise a lady in our church and felt amazing too.

If we are born again we not need robes or other religious trappings. Just Jesus.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Absolutely, one of the best days of my life and Ray got baptised at the same time.

View attachment 11996
That's my daughter in the pretty white blouse to the right of the photo. It was very hot and very noisy. Our church was lovely and Iv'e seen most of these kids grow up. We didn't have a baptismal pool so we borrowed another church for baptisms back then.
@Pearl Great photo there; and memorable for the family... :)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
it's what's in the heart that counts otherwise it wouldn't mean anything anyways.
@April_Rose Very true; I like what Paul said:

"...though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day.

...While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal." (2 Corinthians 4.16; 18)

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What robe? Jesus didn't wear a special robe. Back then I didn't have many nice things and we all just went in the water in our ordinary clothes. We still do it that way, and a few years ago I got to baptise a lady in our church and felt amazing too.

If we are born again we not need robes or other religious trappings. Just Jesus.

True,.. VERY good point!! :D

funny you should say that....in a way it is.....a sort of a compass inbuilt in all peoples.

Hehe,.. recomputing. :D (Btw, looks like you took my words to heart,.. you're seeming quite a bit more likeable now actually. :) )

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
True,.. VERY good point!! :D

Hehe,.. recomputing. :D (Btw, looks like you took my words to heart,.. you're seeming quite a bit more likeable now actually. :) )

hmmmm, strange isn't it AR?....I suppose it's a bit like how I see God.... ie, once it registers for me that God actually likes me and that he cares about what I think....that he has my interest at heart, I see him in a new fresh light. All the while I see it was not God who had changed but my perception of him. It makes me love him all the more.
....and so it is to be with the spreading of the gospel.....to make folk of the ordinary and the rebellious ilk see God in a way that draws them to him.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I know but it's funny that I feel like a little kid who keeps saying repeatedly over and over again that they've been a bad girl and they should go to their room. I should tell Satan to just shut up though and remind myself that if I wasn't saved and I wasn't God's child then the devil would have absolutely no reason to bully me so much and make me feel so awful because he wouldn't have any work to do with me. I've heard quite a bit that Satan only picks on the strong in faith.
Growth is manifested in the ability to be able to distinguish the voices of self condemnation.....the voices of Satan and the voice of God

Many voices are our own....voices of our own unworthiness or conversely of our own superior view. Satan exploits these internal voices and attempts to drive a wedge between us and our God and a wedge between us and others.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Actually I've asked Him to save me more than once just in case He didn't think I meant it or heard me the first time which is ridiculous now that I know better since He sees, hears, and knows all. :D

He heard you the first time, and God will keep you for all times.

See, you are an expensive purchase, April.
You are "bought with a price". = the Blood of Jesus, and God has never yet wasted His blood on anyone He redeemed by this Holy Blood.
You would have to agree that God thinks you are something very special, as He gave His own Blood for you.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
I don't like being convicted,.. at all. I know it means that I'm saved and I say that I'm sorry to God shortly afterwards but I still feel guilty that I've sinned. I always think to myself that even though God forgives me, I don't feel like I deserve it. :( Of course I guess I don't which is why Jesus came,.. but still,.. it really stinks. :(

Thank the Lord for the conviction of the Holy Spirit that leads us to repentance. Repentance is about the renewing of the mind to think like Jesus Christ. Feeling sorry is only a superficial, but necessary, step.