How Do You Handle Conviction?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't like being convicted,.. at all. I know it means that I'm saved and I say that I'm sorry to God shortly afterwards but I still feel guilty that I've sinned. I always think to myself that even though God forgives me, I don't feel like I deserve it. :( Of course I guess I don't which is why Jesus came,.. but still,.. it really stinks. :(

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I don't like being convicted,.. at all. I know it means that I'm saved and I say that I'm sorry to God shortly afterwards but I still feel guilty that I've sinned. I always think to myself that even though God forgives me, I don't feel like I deserve it. :( Of course I guess I don't which is why Jesus came,.. but still,.. it really stinks. :(
@April_Rose Well, the believer in the Lord Jesus can indeed know assurance; John's First Epistle and Romans 8, for example, are full of assurance to the seeking, believing reader.

Reactions: April_Rose

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And just in case anybody was wondering how I feel convicted was I was writing about tarot cards even though I would never play with them for real but I still felt convicted. :(

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
And just in case anybody was wondering how I feel convicted was I was writing about tarot cards even though I would never play with them for real but I still felt convicted. :(
@April_Rose There's no need even to think about those things, of course. I do love Philippians 4.8, which encourages us in all the profitable things that we can indeed think about, and which can be a great blessing:

"Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things."

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I sort of feel that Satan is just taunting me because of course he still wants me to feel like a horrible person even after I've repented. I always feel sickish inside. :(

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I sort of feel that Satan is just taunting me because of course he still wants me to feel like a horrible person even after I've repented. I always feel sickish inside. :(
@April_Rose Just go to show, anyway, the sheer value of daily prayer and Bible reading so that our attention and thoughts are fixed in a Godward direction... :)

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Jesus will lift that guilt if you ask him. He doesn't want us to carry burdens of guilt around with us, he wants us enjoy the freedom from sin and guilt but I have come across a lot of Christians who keep on beating themselves up for past sins and because they don't feel worthy enough. Let it go, let him carry the burden as he promises. Enjoy a life free from sin and guilt which is his gift to us. When you came to Jesus and repented of your sin when you first became born again; your sin was lifted from you. Don't take hold of it again. If you do something wrong just ask Jesus to let the living waters pour over you and make you feel clean again. And then let go of it. Focusing on ourselves takes our eyes off Jesus.

When God convicts he does it gently and corrects us gently. He doesn't have a nagging voice that tells us we are no good, only the enemy does that, so tell that voice to shut up and go away and tell him he is a liar.

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Jesus will lift that guilt if you ask him. He doesn't want us to carry burdens of guilt around with us, he wants us enjoy the freedom from sin and guilt but I have come across a lot of Christians who keep on beating themselves up for past sins and because they don't feel worthy enough. Let it go, let him carry the burden as he promises. Enjoy a life free from sin and guilt which is his gift to us. When you came to Jesus and repented of your sin when you first became born again; your sin was lifted from you. Don't take hold of it again. If you do something wrong just ask Jesus to let the living waters pour over you and make you feel clean again. And then let go of it. Focusing on ourselves takes our eyes off Jesus.
@Pearl

Reminds me of the Scriptural sentiment from John Bunyan's The Pilgrim's Progress:

"Thus far I did come laden with my sin;
Nor could aught ease the grief that I was in,
Till I came hither. What a place is this!
Must here be the beginning of my bliss?
Must here the burden fall from off my back?
Must here the strings that bound it to me crack?
Blessed cross! Blessed sepulchre! Blessed rather be
The Man that there was put to shame for me!"

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@Pearl

Reminds me of the Scriptural sentiment from John Bunyan's The Pilgrim's Progress:

"Thus far I did come laden with my sin;
Nor could aught ease the grief that I was in,
Till I came hither. What a place is this!
Must here be the beginning of my bliss?
Must here the burden fall from off my back?
Must here the strings that bound it to me crack?
Blessed cross! Blessed sepulchre! Blessed rather be
The Man that there was put to shame for me!"
That's lovely farouk. I have never read it.

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

When God convicts he does it gently and corrects us gently. He doesn't have a nagging voice that tells us we are no good, only the enemy does that, so tell that voice to shut up and go away and tell him he is a liar.

I know but it's funny that I feel like a little kid who keeps saying repeatedly over and over again that they've been a bad girl and they should go to their room. I should tell Satan to just shut up though and remind myself that if I wasn't saved and I wasn't God's child then the devil would have absolutely no reason to bully me so much and make me feel so awful because he wouldn't have any work to do with me. I've heard quite a bit that Satan only picks on the strong in faith.

Reactions: Nancy

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel

April Rose,

what you are speaking of is condemnation.
"i dont feel worthy, i feel terrible, the GUILT Trip".

See that, all that is condemnation..

So, you are born again?.....Is that right April Rose?
You have understood that Jesus is The Savior, and you needed to be saved from your sin and you KNEW IT< and you reached out to God and to Christ with a sincere heart and said.....HELP ME... SAVE ME......I WANT YOU LORD.. Here is my Heart Lord....TAKE ME!!

You did that? right. ???

Then when you put your faith in God's hand, God put His arms around you and made you his Child, his eternally forgiven child.
And April, you are always forgiven and you are always God's child.... once you are born again.
Now, yesterday, and tomorrow.
Understand, that forgiveness exists as the blood of Jesus, and this Blood, keeps on saving, keeps on cleansing, and keeps on forgiving.....always.
The Forgiveness and acceptance and justification and "the gift of Righteousness" that God gave you, when you took Jesus into your heart, will last as long as God LIVES.

This is .."Salvation"....and it never ends, because its just like GOD who created it. Its Eternal.

Now, the Devil has a game, a mind game he plays with believers, until they realize what he's doing.
And in the realizing, in this awakening to his method, we break his power to make us FEEL BAD.

See, Satan can't have you now....as you belong to God forever, but he can use his deceit....(The Father of Lies) to trip you, to trick you, and to mislead you.

His #1 desire is for you to doubt your salvation, and try to get you into a mental place where you are trying by your self effort to keep yourself saved. That is his master plan for duping all Believers, as if he can get you to think that way.....to become a "self saver", then you have lost right believing, and are in a place of still being saved, yet, away from Truth and Light.
And in that place, that is inner darkness, you will have no power to live Holy, and you will stay in a place of sinning and guilt.

Here is the reality, April Rose...
All your sin is gone, and you are forever in God's place of Righteousness, being made so, by Christ's Blood.
Now, open your bible, and go here. Hebrews 13:9
Just this verse. And do what it tells you to do with your HEART, and do it until your Heart is purified by this Truth, and stay there in your Faith.

And remember April...>"there is no condemnation to those who are IN Christ".....and you are, if you are born again.

So, let go of the guilt, be free of the condemnation, and Rest your Heart and Emotions in God's Grace, that is always going to keep you at Peace with God, BECAUSE = it keeps God at peace with you.
Understand....you dont make peace with God by your lifestyle or your attempts to be good, or confession.
Instead you are always kept in perfect Peace , perfect relationship, by the same Blood of Jesus that brought you into God's family to begin with, and keeps you there, forever.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I know but it's funny that I feel like a little kid who keeps saying repeatedly over and over again that they've been a bad girl and they should go to their room. I should tell Satan to just shut up though and remind myself that if I wasn't saved and I wasn't God's child then the devil would have absolutely no reason to bully me so much and make me feel so awful because he wouldn't have any work to do with me. I've heard quite a bit that Satan only picks on the strong in faith.
Satan knows our weak points April Rose and will attack us at those weak areas. So we should learn how to be strong and fight when he attacks; make him aware of our strong points too.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@Pearl Indeed, calls for the use of the whole armour of God in Ephesians 6, right? :)
Exactly right farouk, but it often takes a new Christian a fairly long time to learn how to put it all on correctly.

Reactions: farouk

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
April Rose,

what you are speaking of is condemnation.
"i dont feel worthy, i feel terrible, the GUILT Trip".

See that, all that is condemnation..

So, you are born again?.....Is that right April Rose?
You have understood that Jesus is The Savior, and you needed to be saved from your sin and you KNEW IT< and you reached out to God and to Christ with a sincere heart and said.....HELP ME... SAVE ME......I WANT YOU LORD.. Here is my Heart Lord....TAKE ME!!

You did that? right. ???

Then when you put your faith in God's hand, God put His arms around you and made you his Child, his eternally forgiven child.
And April, you are always forgiven and you are always God's child.... once you are born again.
Now, yesterday, and tomorrow.
Understand, that forgiveness exists as the blood of Jesus, and this Blood, keeps on saving, keeps on cleansing, and keeps on forgiving.....always.
The Forgiveness and acceptance and justification and "the gift of Righteousness" that God gave you, when you took Jesus into your heart, will last as long as God LIVES.

This is .."Salvation"....and it never ends, because its just like GOD who created it. Its Eternal.

Now, the Devil has a game, a mind game he plays with believers, until they realize what he's doing.
And in the realizing, in this awakening to his method, we break his power to make us FEEL BAD.

See, Satan can't have you now....as you belong to God forever, but he can use his deceit....(The Father of Lies) to trip you, to trick you, and to mislead you.

His #1 desire is for you to doubt your salvation, and try to get you into a mental place where you are trying by your self effort to keep yourself saved. That is his master plan for duping all Believers, as if he can get you to think that way.....to become a "self saver", then you have lost right believing, and are in a place of still being saved, yet, away from Truth and Light.
And in that place, that is inner darkness, you will have no power to live Holy, and you will stay in a place of sinning and guilt.

Here is the reality, April Rose...
All your sin is gone, and you are forever in God's place of Righteousness, being made so, by Christ's Blood.
Now, open your bible, and go here. Hebrews 13:9
Just this verse. And do what it tells you to do with your HEART, and do it until your Heart is purified by this Truth, and stay there in your Faith.

And remember April...>"there is no condemnation to those who are IN Christ".....and you are, if you are born again.

So, let go of the guilt, be free of the condemnation, and Rest your Heart and Emotions in God's Grace, that is always going to keep you at Peace with God, BECAUSE = it keeps God at peace with you.
Understand....you dont make peace with God by your lifestyle or your attempts to be good, or confession.
Instead you are always kept in perfect Peace , perfect relationship, by the same Blood of Jesus that brought you into God's family to begin with, and keeps you there, forever.

Actually I've asked Him to save me more than once just in case He didn't think I meant it or heard me the first time which is ridiculous now that I know better since He sees, hears, and knows all. :D

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hehe you reminded me of this song as I'm a child raised upon rock and roll, rebel in the great wide open, I'll never grow up, or grow old, and I realize that's there only one way home. :D (Also I love Keith Urban and think that he's a cutie lol)