How do you help a brother or sister that sins?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 John 1:9
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

We find many threads on what to do if you see a brother sin, usually to rebuke or point him out, but some times to just ridicule or worse things. But how about helping a brother or sister that has sinned, what do we do?

We had to help a brother in such a situation this week and it was amazing, and very uplifting to say the least. What would you do to help bring a brother or sister back before God and find forgiveness and be cleansed of all unrighteousness, especially when they know they have sinned...

Reactions: Mayflower

Spyder

Jan 9, 2024
Holt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would suppose that our society, and probably very few societies, would even accept correction unless the person loves and respects the one providing correction. Our egos are too large to sustain correction. For me, I think that only those who have achieved humility and peace would appreciate the effort of someone who truly desires to help. But then, if a person has the humility and is at peace, there may not be much to correct.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The citizen of the USA have sinned greatly, but they do not like this particular sin being pointed out to them. If they reject the pointing out of this sin, then there is nothing that anyone can do to help the citizens of the USA.

In the Land Down under, this same sin is also prevalent, and it is hard to be heard when pointing this sin out.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 John 1:9
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

We find many threads on what to do if you see a brother sin, usually to rebuke or point him out, but some times to just ridicule or worse things. But how about helping a brother or sister that has sinned, what do we do?

We had to help a brother in such a situation this week and it was amazing, and very uplifting to say the least. What would you do to help bring a brother or sister back before God and find forgiveness and be cleansed of all unrighteousness, especially when they know they have sinned...
I don't have a set rule, every situation, every person, is different. Humility, love, gentleness, as the Spirit leads.

Much love!

O'Darby

Feb 17, 2024
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would suppose that our society, and probably very few societies, would even accept correction unless the person loves and respects the one providing correction. Our egos are too large to sustain correction. For me, I think that only those who have achieved humility and peace would appreciate the effort of someone who truly desires to help. But then, if a person has the humility and is at peace, there may not be much to correct.
Only those who have achieved humility and peace themselves should probably involve themselves in trying to help someone who has sinned. The offer and the help must come from a place of genuine humility and compassion - "There but for the grace of God go I" - rather than ego and superiority.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Only those who have achieved humility and peace themselves should probably involve themselves in trying to help someone who has sinned. The offer and the help must come from a place of genuine humility and compassion - "There but for the grace of God go I" - rather than ego and superiority.
It needs to come from true love.

Much love!

strepho

Jan 31, 2023
Meriden
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Apostles Paul had problem with Corinthians church. False brethren came in, and were starting to contaminate the church. And a member of the church had incest with family member.

Paul came down hard on the leaders. To confront it and clean it up.

Those who are shepherds, have a responsibility. To teach sound doctrine. And conform any problems.

Psalm chapter 94 tells us to make stand against workers of iniquity. Must have the back bone to practice tough love if neccessary.

If the member of church wont straightened out. The pastor or minister must expel the trouble makers.

Cant have root of bitterness in churches.

Paul set the example.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

How do you help a brother or sister that sins?​

Help him dispose of the body, and when the police come investigating, provide an alibi.

Spyder

Jan 9, 2024
Holt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Apostles Paul had problem with Corinthians church. False brethren came in, and were starting to contaminate the church. And a member of the church had incest with family member.

Paul came down hard on the leaders. To confront it and clean it up.

Those who are shepherds, have a responsibility. To teach sound doctrine. And conform any problems.

Psalm chapter 94 tells us to make stand against workers of iniquity. Must have the back bone to practice tough love if neccessary.

If the member of church wont straightened out. The pastor or minister must expel the trouble makers.

Cant have root of bitterness in churches.

Paul set the example.
Paul came down hard, because Paul knew the truth. Unfortunately, we have no "Paul" today. Today we have bible college or seminary graduates who have been indoctrinated into some "Statement of Faith" that they are required to support.- no matter what the scriptures say. They are paid to roust out anyone who disagrees with the Statement of Faith, so the doctrines remain intact due to social pressure and the staff of said church.

Has anyone noticed the decline in attendance at organized churches? How about the growth of Home Churches?
The benefit of Home Churches is that, hopefully, all scripture will be considered before the group members decide what to believe is true. This happens when the group depends of God to reveal His truth during the groups interchange of questions and answers. Nobody rousts out a person with questions or disagreements - which would prevent Iron from sharpening Iron.

I do think that there is an awakening taking place. I can't help but feel that God is moving in this world to sift the chaff from the wheat.

Reactions: strepho

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It starts with talking and communication. Being clear/listening to their thoughts and feelings on the matter, and see where the heart is. Don’t make assumptions and give someone the time of day to know what is going on. Sometimes people are not clear. I’d be one to want to repent of sin, and especially if a friend just cuts me off and says she has told me multiple times what my issue is. Obviously something is not getting through or it is an unfair assumption.

“How think ye? if a man have an hundred sheep, and one of them be gone astray, doth he not leave the ninety and nine, and goeth into the mountains, and seeketh that which is gone astray? And if so be that he find it, verily I say unto you, he rejoiceth more of that sheep, than of the ninety and nine which went not astray. Even so it is not the will of your Father which is in heaven, that one of these little ones should perish. Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother. But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established. And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican. Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭18‬:‭12‬-‭18‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Jesus goes after the one rather then stay with the 99. Jesus says even up to the whole church you have them reach out to that one sinner. Even still this has to be known intentional sin I’m assuming with an understanding of what is going on. Though unknowing sin can cause great harm too

Reactions: Spyder and Lambano