How do you know you have the Holy Spirit?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
How do you know you have the Holy Spirit? This question kept coming up at a Bible study. What are your thoughts? How do you recognize the Holy Spirit in your own lives? God bless.
If you don't know then you haven't received Him.

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mark 14:35-36 . . He advanced a little and fell to the ground and prayed
that if it were possible the hour might pass by him. He said; “Abba, Father"

The bulk of the New Testament is translated from manuscripts penned in
Greek. But the word "abba" isn't translated from Greek: in point of fact, it
isn't translated at all; it's the actual word; viz: a transliteration.

Abba (ab-bah') is an Aramaic word that means "father" the same as the
Greek word pater (pat-ayr') means father; except that abba means father in
a special sense. It isn't just a noun; it's a filial vocative.

For example: when I'm puttering around out in the garage, and my son and
his mother are in the kitchen talking about me, the noun "dad" is merely a
label that informs my wife who my son is talking about. But when my son
wants to get my attention and calls out: "Dad!" then the same noun
becomes a filial vocative.

Gal 4:6 . . And because you are sons, God has sent forth the spirit of His
son into your hearts calling out: Abba! Father.

That verse reveals something very important. The Spirit of His son always
compels Christ's believing followers to call out to his Father, never to his
mother, and the reason for that is actually quite simple. Christ always prays
to his Father; never to his mother; ergo: the Father's children exhibit the
very same behavior because the Spirit of His son compels them to pray like
His son.

That, by the way, is a pretty good litmus test. If somebody is comfortable
praying to Jesus' mom, they give away the fact that they lack the Spirit of
God's son in their hearts; which means of course that they have yet to
undergo adoption into His home.

Rom 8:15 . . For you have not received a spirit of bondage again to fear;
but you have received a spirit of adoption, whereby we call out: Abba!
Father.

The Bible instructs Christ's believing followers to pray in the Spirit (Eph
6:18, Jude 1:20). When people pray in the Spirit; they pray in accordance
with Mark 14:35-36, Gal 4:6, and Rom 8:15. In other words: they don't pray
to Mary and/or angels and departed saints; no, they pray to the Son's Father
just as he did.

Bottom line: God's kin should feel an overwhelming compulsion to pray to
their adoptive Father without their having to be told to. It should come
naturally (so to speak), just as naturally as it came to Jesus. And they
should feel an equally overwhelming disgust for praying to somebody else.

So then, people with a habit of praying to Jesus' mom and/or angels and
departed saints; obviously have neither the spirit of God's son in their heart,
nor the spirit of adoption; and that is a very serious condition to be in.

Rom 8:9 . . If anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not
belong to Christ.

(Reference: Why We Will Never Go Back To Roman Catholicism)
_

Reactions: Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Indeed and to be holy or sanctified simply means to be set apart. Set apart from the what? From man and his ways, the ways of the flesh. We will stand out more and more as we continue to lean on the Lord and He via the Holy Spirit then sets apart... making us holy. We cannot make ourselves holy, but if we learn to surrender and then continue surrender to Him, He will continuing doing His work in us. People will love us or they will hate us. We shall indeed be set apart and holy because of Him!

Give God the glory!
...and set apart TO a holy purpose. Just like the utensils in the Temple were set apart for a holy purpose and were not to be profaned by being used for common purposes but only used in the service of God. That's what we are! Let's keep ourselves clean and set apart for that holy purpose. Clean vessels set apart to God.

Daniel Veler

Apr 17, 2021
Gulf port
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This question was asked by the apostle Judas. Now this was not the one that turned against Christ. It’s recorded in John 14. I John 17 Christ gives the definition of eternal life. He tells us what it is. But the apostle didn’t understand. When you view these to chapters together you’ll understand. In short Christ said eternal life is when the Father and the Son abides in a person. The apostle didn’t understand and he asked Christ. How will you make yourself known unto us but not on to the rest of the world. Jesus replied and said those that love me and keep my commands My Fathe and I will come and make our abode or that is to make their home in us. Those who have eternal life God has revealed himself. He opens your heart in understanding what is truth. The Lord gives to every person a measure of Faith. Some may have more some less. But reading the scriptures and understanding them is your key. Now the question is. Just how much trust does God require? If you read the parable of the mustard seed and it’s size it is very small. Christ told his apostles if the had trust the size of a mustard seed they would be able to say to a mountain cast in to the sea and it would be done. The mustard seed was not something that you use to gage your spirituality but to show us just how little trust is required by God to be saved. One last thing trust is a gift given to us as one of the gifts of the Holy Spirit. God gives each person a measure of Faith/Trust. I hope this helps.

Daniel Veler

Apr 17, 2021
Gulf port
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How do you know you have the Holy Spirit? This question kept coming up at a Bible study. What are your thoughts? How do you recognize the Holy Spirit in your own lives? God bless.

Chris the apostle wrote this:
Let that therefore abide in you, which ye have heard from the beginning. If that which ye have heard from the beginning shall remain in you, ye also shall continue in the Son, and in the Father. And this is the promise that he hath
promised us, even eternal life.

And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments. He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.
I order to fully understand you have to know what eternal life is and what coromandel he’s talking about. Eternal life isn’t defined as living forever and their are only two commands God has laid out for his children. Learn those two things then you’ll understand.

Jlentz

May 6, 2021
Usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

When you are converted you are baptized with the Spirit.