How do you work this thing?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is a quote taken from a different thread from Rex.

"While you already have your feelings hurt I suggest you find someone to teach yo how to use the quote feature as well as the BBCode mode.
It would make following your line of thought in context with others replies easier."

Honestly I don't have my feelings hurt but I do agree with his suggestion.

Can anyone help me out here?

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Text here.

Use the above format. The portion highlighted in the brackets is the tag, it has a closing and ending - they tell the forum software to format the contained text in a certain manner, so those need to wrap around the quote.

The middle portion is the quoted text.

There is a shortcut way to do it at the bottom left-hand corner of each post. You can click those buttons to toggle quote options - multiquote (highlights multiple posts) and quote the whole single post.

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
justaname said:

"While you already have your feelings hurt I suggest you find someone to teach yo how to use the quote feature as well as the BBCode mode.
It would make following your line of thought in context with others replies easier."

[/quote
Above example
By removing the " ] " from behind the close quote, the ending quote and placing it in code you can see that the BBCode button exposes the header of the quote allowing you to C/P or edit as you desire.

quote name="justaname" post="180545"

Some people don't bother with the header making it difficult to locate who and where the poster is referring to.
It is also helpful when the software won't cooperate and let you organize the post to your desired format.

BBCode button is on the top left.

Some times it the only way I can make the post understandable
Different colors just don't cut it

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks guys!

Rex said:

Test sample

Test test

[/quoteAbove example
By removing the " ] " from behind the close quote, the ending quote and placing it in code you can see that the BBCode button exposes the header of the quote allowing you to C/P or edit as you desire.

Some people don't bother with the header making it difficult to locate who and where the poster is referring to.
It is also helpful when the software won't cooperate and let you organize the post to your desired format.

[Use the above format. portion highlighted in brackets is tag, it has a closing and ending - they tell forum software to format contained text certain manner, so those need wrap around quote.]

Test #2

Test #2

As you can see I am still having difficulties :(

Obviously it is operator error

quote name="Rex" post="180604"
Code:
[quote="justaname, post: 187204"]

[/quote
Above example

Above example

Ahh ha getting better

Rex said:
Above example

almost there

HammerStone said:
Use the above format. The portion highlighted in the brackets is the tag, it has a closing and ending - they tell the forum software to format the contained text in a certain manner, so those need to wrap around the quote.
Comment here!!!!
HammerStone said:
The middle portion is the quoted text.

There is a shortcut way to do it at the bottom left-hand corner of each post. You can click those buttons to toggle quote options - multiquote (highlights multiple posts) and quote the whole single post.
Comment here !!!!!!

OK I think I have it finally!

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Looking better! :)

We're going to hopefully be doing some styling in the future, but it really helps the flow of the threads and makes them much more readable to use the quote. I'm guilty of often not citing my multi-author quotes - and that's something I need to work on - but at least wrapping quotes makes it easier to tell in-and-out remarks. It's always difficult, because even though most things are standard these days, people can still have different color profiles (and not to mention color-blindness), so using things like colors might not work.

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
I find sometimes after I edit a quote to encapsulate the part I want to comment on, I'll hit return "enter" and the SW will auto add another quote box, instead of exiting the previous quote.

The only way I found to avoid it is in BBCode mode, find the last quote and type a letter or two then exit BBCode then its fine.

Its handy as well to get quotes from a previous page. Open the page in new window or tab the hit the quote from the post you desire, enter BBCode the C/P it into the post your working on.

Or take from another thread, same thing

Happy New Year Denver and Family! :)