How Many Angels Are Named In The Bible?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Monday 1-30-23 2nd. Day Of The Weekly Cycle, Shavat 7 5783 40th. Winter Day

How Many Angels Are Named In The Bible?

Love, Walter
Interesting question but not quite an accurate answer, according to my own studies...

Gabriel is obviously a faithful messenger of his God, appearing in human form to strengthen Daniel in his troubles, and again about 500 years later to appear to Mary to announce the birth of the savior, Jesus Christ. Other angels were asked about their names but they refused to reveal them. This was, I believe to prevent creature worship among flawed humankind.

It is obvious from the Genesis account that satan wanted worship, and confirmed when the devil tempted Jesus to worship him in exchange for “all the kingdoms of the world” which he said had been “delivered to him” and that he could “give rulership to whomever he wished”. (Luke 4:5-8)

Michael is “the Archangel” meaning that this is a single position not shared by any other angel. He is Commander in Chief of all the angelic forces. I believe that Micheal became the man, Jesus Christ, sent by God as his most trusted servant, to save the human race (Acts 4:27)....but that is for another thread.

However, Lucifer is not another name for satan. The real name of this rebel angel has never been revealed. Only his characteristics are revealed in what he was called.....”satan” (resister) “the devil” (slanderer) as the first one to resist and to slander his God and Sovereign.

Jesus called him “the father of the lie”, meaning that he lied to Eve about the character of their Creator and also about the penalty imposed for breaking God’s command concerning the TKGE.

A “father” is one who causes pregnancy and birth, both literally and figuratively, though he does not have to endure the pain of the end result himself. Satan does not care about anyone or anything, or the pain and suffering he causes to others, as long as he attains the worship he sought by deception.....for however long it would last.

“The Hebrew word translated “Lucifer” means “shining one.” The Septuagint uses the Greek word that means “bringer of dawn.” Hence, some translations render the original Hebrew “morning star” or “Daystar.” But Jerome’s Latin Vulgate uses “Lucifer” (light bearer), and this accounts for the appearance of that term in various versions of the Bible.

Who is this Lucifer? The expression “shining one,” or “Lucifer,” is found in what Isaiah prophetically commanded the Israelites to pronounce as a “proverbial saying against the king of Babylon.” Thus, it is part of a saying primarily directed at the Babylonian dynasty. That the description “shining one” is given to a man and not to a spirit creature is further seen by the statement: “Down to Sheol you will be brought.” Sheol is the common grave of mankind—not a place occupied by Satan the Devil. Moreover, those seeing Lucifer brought into this condition ask: “Is this the man that was agitating the earth?” Clearly, “Lucifer” refers to a human, not to a spirit creature.—Isaiah 14:4, 15, 16.”
https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2002687?q=lucifer&p=par

The dirge against the king of Babylon was a clear description of the course pursued by satan....

Ezekiel 28: 13-17....
“In Eʹden, the garden of God, you proved to be. Every precious stone was your covering. . . . In the day of your being created they were made ready. 14 You are the anointed cherub that is covering, and I have set you. On the holy mountain of God you proved to be. In the midst of fiery stones you walked about. 15 You were faultless in your ways from the day of your being created until unrighteousness was found in you.

16 “‘“Because of the abundance of your sales goods they filled the midst of you with violence, and you began to sin. And I shall put you as profane out of the mountain of God, and I shall destroy you, O cherub that is covering, from the midst of the fiery stones.

17 “‘“Your heart became haughty because of your beauty. You brought your wisdom to ruin on account of your beaming splendor. Onto the earth I will throw you. Before kings I will set you, [for them] to look upon you.”

So all is not as it seems.....we only have two angels ‘named’ in the Bible. :My2c:

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting question but not quite an accurate answer, according to my own studies...

Gabriel is obviously a faithful messenger of his God, appearing in human form to strengthen Daniel in his troubles, and again about 500 years later to appear to Mary to announce the birth of the savior, Jesus Christ. Other angels were asked about their names but they refused to reveal them. This was, I believe to prevent creature worship among flawed humankind.

It is obvious from the Genesis account that satan wanted worship, and confirmed when the devil tempted Jesus to worship him in exchange for “all the kingdoms of the world” which he said had been “delivered to him” and that he could “give rulership to whomever he wished”. (Luke 4:5-8)

Michael is “the Archangel” meaning that this is a single position not shared by any other angel. He is Commander in Chief of all the angelic forces. I believe that Micheal became the man, Jesus Christ, sent by God as his most trusted servant, to save the human race (Acts 4:27)....but that is for another thread.

However, Lucifer is not another name for satan. The real name of this rebel angel has never been revealed. Only his characteristics are revealed in what he was called.....”satan” (resister) “the devil” (slanderer) as the first one to resist and to slander his God and Sovereign.

Jesus called him “the father of the lie”, meaning that he lied to Eve about the character of their Creator and also about the penalty imposed for breaking God’s command concerning the TKGE.

A “father” is one who causes pregnancy and birth, both literally and figuratively, though he does not have to endure the pain of the end result himself. Satan does not care about anyone or anything, or the pain and suffering he causes to others, as long as he attains the worship he sought by deception.....for however long it would last.

“The Hebrew word translated “Lucifer” means “shining one.” The Septuagint uses the Greek word that means “bringer of dawn.” Hence, some translations render the original Hebrew “morning star” or “Daystar.” But Jerome’s Latin Vulgate uses “Lucifer” (light bearer), and this accounts for the appearance of that term in various versions of the Bible.

Who is this Lucifer? The expression “shining one,” or “Lucifer,” is found in what Isaiah prophetically commanded the Israelites to pronounce as a “proverbial saying against the king of Babylon.” Thus, it is part of a saying primarily directed at the Babylonian dynasty. That the description “shining one” is given to a man and not to a spirit creature is further seen by the statement: “Down to Sheol you will be brought.” Sheol is the common grave of mankind—not a place occupied by Satan the Devil. Moreover, those seeing Lucifer brought into this condition ask: “Is this the man that was agitating the earth?” Clearly, “Lucifer” refers to a human, not to a spirit creature.—Isaiah 14:4, 15, 16.”

The dirge against the king of Babylon was a clear description of the course pursued by satan....

“In Eʹden, the garden of God, you proved to be. Every precious stone was your covering. . . . In the day of your being created they were made ready. 14 You are the anointed cherub that is covering, and I have set you. On the holy mountain of God you proved to be. In the midst of fiery stones you walked about. 15 You were faultless in your ways from the day of your being created until unrighteousness was found in you.

16 “‘“Because of the abundance of your sales goods they filled the midst of you with violence, and you began to sin. And I shall put you as profane out of the mountain of God, and I shall destroy you, O cherub that is covering, from the midst of the fiery stones.

17 “‘“Your heart became haughty because of your beauty. You brought your wisdom to ruin on account of your beaming splendor. Onto the earth I will throw you. Before kings I will set you, [for them] to look upon you.”

So all is not as it seems.....we only have two angels ‘named’ in the Bible. :My2c:

Reactions: WalterandDebbie

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hello Aunty Jane, Interesting post, and thank you for your input.

Love, Walter and Debbie

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
LOL....Wiki is useful but not an accredited source in the explanation of Bible knowledge.

The opening words of the quote highlight the problem....
Satan, also known as the Devil, and sometimes also called Lucifer in Christianity”....

Yes, satan was called “Lucifer” in what became “Christianity” after the apostolic period....a time when apostasy was to rear its ugly head....and which was foretold by Jesus and the apostles.....

Yet, there is not one scripture identifying Lucifer as the devil.....he is alluded to in the conduct of humans who emulated his personality traits.

Lucifer is not the devil.....

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
LOL....Wiki is useful but not an accredited source in the explanation of Bible knowledge.

The opening words of the quote highlight the problem....
Satan, also known as the Devil, and sometimes also called Lucifer in Christianity”....

Yes, satan was called “Lucifer” in what became “Christianity” after the apostolic period....a time when apostasy was to rear its ugly head....and which was foretold by Jesus and the apostles.....

Yet, there is not one scripture identifying Lucifer as the devil.....he is alluded to in the conduct of humans who emulated his personality traits.

Lucifer is not the devil.....
Much ado about nothing. He is known as Lucifer, Daystar, Morning Star, light bearer.or shining one. Isa 14:12 - How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning!how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations .//// Once again all of Christianity is wrong but you have it right.

Last edited:

Adventageous

Oct 28, 2022
Noneya
archive.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
However, Lucifer is not another name for satan. The real name of this rebel angel has never been revealed.
"Lucifer" is a Latin translation of the Hebrew "הילל' [H1966], transliterated as 'Heylel', which means:

possibly from H1984 - "הָלַל", "halal", which means, "A primitive root; to be clear (originally of sound, but usually of color); to shine; hence to make a show; to boast; and thus to be (clamorously) foolish; to rave; causatively to celebrate; also to stultify: - (make) boast (self), celebrate, commend, (deal, make), fool (-ish, -ly), glory, give [light], be (make, feign self) mad (against), give in marriage, [sing, be worthy of] praise, rage, renowned, shine." (Strong's) or " BDB Definition: 1) to shine 1a) (Qal) to shine (figuratively of God’s favour) 1b) (Hiphil) to flash forth light 2) to praise, boast, be boastful 2a) (Qal) 2a1) to be boastful 2a2) boastful ones, boasters (participle) 2b) (Piel) 2b1) to praise
2b2) to boast, make a boast 2c) (Pual) 2c1) to be praised, be made praiseworthy, be commended, be worthy of praise 2d) (Hithpael) to boast, glory, make one’s boast 2e) (Poel) to make a fool of, make into a fool 2f) (Hithpoel) to act madly, act like a madman" (BDB)

It is a real name, as real as Gabriel. The word "satan" just means accuser.

Lucifer (Latin) means "light bearer", "shining", and it was not his own light he bore, but merely reflected God's own glory before he trusted that the light he bore came of himself (Ezekiel), and so fell.

Lucifer's brightness was never his own. It was when he began to reason so that he fell. The context of Lucifer's name stems from the brightness he once reflected from God's own glory, hence, "one who bears God's light". He was to be a reflector of God's glory and character.

Whether from halal (assumed) being heyel, meaning to shine,

or from heyl (strength, force, etc) El (God)

both reveal that Lucifer was as covering cherub to God the reflector (once perfect) of God's glory/light, having once been standing in God's presence. What is interesting is that the angel which replaced Lucifer has a similar name "Gabriel" (Gbr El, strength of God or God is strong in him).

Isa 14:12 How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!​

"1104) le (הל HL) AC: Shine CO: Star AB: Distant: The pictograph e is a picture of a man with his arms raised looking at a great sight. The l is a shepherd staff representing the idea of "toward" as the staff is used to move a sheep toward a direction. Combined these letters mean "a looking toward something" such as the looking toward a light in the distance. The stars have always been used to guide the traveler or shepherd to find his home or destination.​
A) le (הל HL) AC: Look CO: ? AB: ?: To look toward a sight.​
Nm) le (הל HL) - I. These:Designating a group that is with the speaker. In the sense of looking toward a sight. [Hebrew and Aramaic; The short form " e " is used as a prefix meaning "look" and translated as "the".] [df: la hla]II. Toward:A moving to or toward something to be with it as the ox moves toward a destination. [df: la] KJV (69): these, those, this, thus, who, so, such, some, same, other, which, another, whom, they, them - Strongs: H411 (אֵל), H412 (אֵל), H413 (אֶל), H428 (אֵלֶּה), H429 (אֵלֶּה)​
em ) lie (היל HYL) - These: Designating a group that is with the speaker. In the sense of looking toward a sight. [Aramaic only] [df: Kla] KJV (14): these, those - Strongs: H479 (אִלֵּךְ)​
if1 ) elet (תהלה THLH) - Folly: In the sense of shining. KJV (1): folly - Strongs: H8417 (תָּהֳלָה)​
rm) fle (הלו HLW) - Behold: As to look at a sight. [Aramaic only] [df: wla]KJV (10): behold, lo - Strongs: H431 (אֲלוּ), H718 (אֲרוּ)​
sm ) nile (הלינ HLYN) - These: Designating a group that is with the speaker. In the sense of looking toward a sight. [Aramaic only] [df: Nla] KJV (5): these, the - Strongs: H459 (אִלֵּן)​
ief1 ) eliet (תהילה THYLH) - Shining: A shining through ones actions or words. May be in a positive (praise) or negative (folly) sense. KJV (57): praise - Strongs: H8416 (תְּהִלָּה)​
B) lle (הלל HLL) AC: Shine CO: ? AB: ?: To cause a shining of one by praising or giving thanks to another or to ones self.​
V) lle (הלל HLL) - Shine: To shine through ones actions or words. KJV (165): (vf: Paal, Hiphil, Hitpael, Pual, Piel, Participle) praise, glory, boast, mad, shine, foolish, commended, rage, celebrate - Strongs: H1984 (הָלַל)​
am) llem (מהלל MHLL) - Shine: KJV (1): praise - Strongs: H4110 (מַהֲלָל)​
em) llie (הילל HYLL) - S |kjv: Lucifer - Strongs: H1966 (הֵילֵל)​
gf1 ) ellfe (הוללה HWLLH) - Madness: As one shining in a negative sense. KJV (4): madness - Strongs: H1947 (הוֹלֵלוֹת)​
of3) tfllfe (הוללות HWLLWT) - Madness: As one shining in a negative sense. KJV (1): madness - Strongs: H1948 (הוֹלֵלוּת)​
bdm) lflie (הילול HYLWL) - Shine: KJV (2): praise, merry - Strongs: H1974 (הִלּוּלִים)​
C) lea (אהל AHL) AC: Shine CO: Tent AB: ?​
V) lea (אהל AHL) - I. Shine: II. Pitch tent:[denominative of lefa] KJV (4): (vf: Hiphil, Paal, Piel) shine, tent - Strongs: H166 (אָהַל), H167 (אָהַל)​
Nm ) lea (אהל AHL) - Aloe: The glistening oils of the plant. The oils or the tree. KJV (4): aloes, trees of aloes - Strongs: H174 (אֲהָלוֹת)​
gm) lefa (אוהל AWHL) - Tent: The shining light of the campfire next to the tent in the distance is a guide for those returning home late just as a star is used as a guide. KJV (345): tabernacle, tent, dwelling - Strongs: H168 (אֹהֶל)​
E) ale (הלא HLA) AC: Distant CO: ? AB: ?: A distant sight that is looked toward.​
V) ale (הלא HLA) - Distant: To be far off. KJV (1): (vf: Niphal) cast far off - Strongs: H1972 (הָלָא)​
Nf1) eale (הלאה HLAH) - Distant: Something far off in the distance. KJV (16): beyond, forward, hitherto, back, thenceforth, henceforth, yonder - Strongs: H1973 (הָלְאָה)​
K) fle (הלו HLW) AC: ? CO: Here AB: ?: An arrival to the distant place.​
pm) mfle (הלומ HLWM) - Here: KJV (11): hither, here, thither - Strongs: H1988 (הֲלֹם)​
L) lei (יהל YHL) AC: ? CO: Bright AB: ?​
qpm ) mflei (יהלומ YHLWM) - Diamond: A hard and precious stone that glitters. KJV (3): diamond - Strongs: H3095 (יַהֲלֹם)"" - Strong's #1966 - הֵילֵל - Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary - StudyLight.org

Reactions: RLT63