How to get baptized? In the UK

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

jessicaleks93

Jan 1, 2024
Yorkshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, so I would like to be baptized however I am non-denominational Christian and ex-mormon, and that's where it gets tricky, choosing the right church to be baptized at. We have Church of England churches which are Anglican denomination which is eerily similar to Catholicism, sorry the pope is not for me. Baptists and Methodists are independent of the Church of England and don't seem to have much structure in their services. Does the denomination effect the legitimacy and the effectiveness of the baptism? Church of England Reverends to my knowledge are simply fulfilling a job position, they haven't been through a formal spiritual ceremony where they reach reverend status with God per say. I have previously attended Mormon churches years ago, but I don't want to be baptized in a member of their church paying 10% of my income really, and they are very, very invasive, but they do put all boys at the age of 12 through the laying of the hands ceremony to receive the priesthood so they can do things such as perform baptisms as adults on other members and I believe their baptisms to be legitimate with God and effective. My knowledge with regular Christianity and their churches is very limited, so please excuse my ignorance, I have never been to a Christian church outside of a Mormon one, so I don't know much about how things go other than what I've read online. I'm open to attending occasional church services, but I'm much more happier maintaining my relationship with Christ at home. But I would like to be baptized.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi everyone, so I would like to be baptized however I am non-denominational Christian and ex-mormon, and that's where it gets tricky, choosing the right church to be baptized at. We have Church of England churches which are Anglican denomination which is eerily similar to Catholicism, sorry the pope is not for me. Baptists and Methodists are independent of the Church of England and don't seem to have much structure in their services. Does the denomination effect the legitimacy and the effectiveness of the baptism? Church of England Reverends to my knowledge are simply fulfilling a job position, they haven't been through a formal spiritual ceremony where they reach reverend status with God per say. I have previously attended Mormon churches years ago, but I don't want to be baptized in a member of their church paying 10% of my income really, and they are very, very invasive, but they do put all boys at the age of 12 through the laying of the hands ceremony to receive the priesthood so they can do things such as perform baptisms as adults on other members and I believe their baptisms to be legitimate with God and effective. My knowledge with regular Christianity and their churches is very limited, so please excuse my ignorance, I have never been to a Christian church outside of a Mormon one, so I don't know much about how things go other than what I've read online. I'm open to attending occasional church services, but I'm much more happier maintaining my relationship with Christ at home. But I would like to be baptized.
very wise indeed dear sister . There is another sister who also dwells in the UK .
she too has not been baptized . She too understands the problems in these churches .
I wish there was a way i could fly over and baptize you both . But you are wise to not just go to any church to be water baptized .
Let us pray to GOD for one to arrive who will baptize you both .
I wish les could . He lives over there .

jessicaleks93

Jan 1, 2024
Yorkshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
very wise indeed dear sister . There is another sister who also dwells in the UK .
she too has not been baptized . She too understands the problems in these churches .
I wish there was a way i could fly over and baptize you both . But you are wise to not just go to any church to be water baptized .
Let us pray to GOD for one to arrive who will baptize you both .
I wish les could . He lives over there .
Is there a particular type of church you recommend?

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For now keep reading the bible . yes you do not want to be baptized in the mormon church either .
Just keep reading the bible and learning . We will be praying for you dear sister .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is there a particular type of church you recommend?
I would have to examine their leadership myself . there are churches that do appear to have better doctrine
and yet even those are going down hill .
THe leadership is the key . no church has everyone in it always doing right
but IF the leadership is tanked , THEY WONT make it .
The more you read the bible the simplier things will become .
A simple man of GOD can baptize you . it dont have to be a church cermony or etc .
IF you know of a man who already believes and follows the LORD . EVEN HE can baptize you .
Right in the lake too , if you dont mind the lake .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

jessicaleks93

Jan 1, 2024
Yorkshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I would have to examine their leadership myself . there are churches that do appear to have better doctrine
and yet even those are going down hill .
THe leadership is the key . no church has everyone in it always doing right
but IF the leadership is tanked , THEY WONT make it .
The more you read the bible the simplier things will become .
A simple man of GOD can baptize you . it dont have to be a church cermony or etc .
IF you know of a man who already believes and follows the LORD . EVEN HE can baptize you .
Right in the lake too , if you dont mind the lake .
Is there any scripture that you can recommend that speaks about any man being able to baptize me? I'd much prefer a lake to be honest! Well, Church of England Anglican churches allow women and homosexual Reverends, which personally I do not think is right to elect as Reverends and I wouldn't want to be baptized by a woman or a homosexual.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is there any scripture that you can recommend that speaks about any man being able to baptize me? I'd much prefer a lake to be honest! Well, Church of England Anglican churches allow women and homosexual Reverends, which personally I do not think is right to elect as Reverends and I wouldn't want to be baptized by a woman or a homosexual.
phillip was a mere man who served tables .
He was one of the seven chosen to help distrubute food .
He himself was down in the desert
and the SPIRIT bade him to go down to the eunach in the chariot .
He preached JESUS to him and then water baptized him .
Men are but men . we are nothing special . Its in acts .
i think chapter eight or nine . YOU are correct about what you said . The anglican church is tanked .
and you dont want to baptized by women or etc . you are right .
as far as reverand and etc
YOU are correct again . JESUS said call no man reverand
and etc , yet i see in these churches those who LOVE them flattering titles
and not only that they even dare to call themselves MOST HOLY FATHER or REVERAND .
THAT BE GOD . not men . HE IS REVERAND , HIS IS THE MOST HOLY FATHER .
JESUS warned His own to beware men who love the praise of men
who wear LONG ROBES , who deck themselves up and desire titles
and to be called etc . THEY DO IT to get THE PRAISE OF MEN SISTER . AND They do as they do TO BE SEEN OF MEN .
YOU are right on dear sister . But a true man of GOD , one who beleives can batpize you .
Just make sure its not one of them other churches .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wish les could baptize you . he lives in sommerset .
I will try and get ahold of him . Feel free to ask him any questions about what he believes too .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hi @jessicaleks93 I'm in Lancashire. I became a member of the Church of England immediately after being born again. We had a lovely spirit filled vicar who did all he could to cater for the born again in his flock - it wasn't everybody. I got filled with the Holy Spirit and then after a few years I felt God was telling me to be baptised. Sadly our lovely vicar couldn't do it because the C of E belief that my infant 'Christening' counted as baptism so I left and joined non denominational church where i was welcomed and baptised after going through a sort of course for them to find out about me and me, them. My baptism was such a happy day.

I think the best thing to do is to find local non denom churches online and see which seems to fit you best. You could get in touch with the pastors for a one to one chat or visit on a Sunday to see if you feel right.

There is a Newfrontiers church - Kings Church in Selby and one called gateway church in Acomb and also City Church in York. If none of these are near enough it might be a good idea to get in touch with one of them and ask which they would recommend in your area.

The founder of Newfrontiers is a man called Terry Virgo who I loved to listen to, so that's why I thought of his fellowships.

The fact that you have been a mormon will not matter in the slightest, at least it shouldn't and if it does it's not the right place anyway. I hope you find a place to worship where you feel welcome and comfortable because the people will become your spiritual family. I will pray for you to find the right place and I'm sure you have already prayed about it yourself.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I wish les could baptize you . he lives in sommerset .
I will try and get ahold of him . Feel free to ask him any questions about what he believes too .
I baptised my friend it was a wonderful privilege. And my husband baptised somebody in our bath.

Last edited:

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Baptism and confirmation with the Holy Ghost is a great idea for you and a life changing experience with God. I was already Baptized when I was Mormon years ago and your right. It is an effective baptism. I'm currently non-denomination also. I think taking the effort to be baptized is wonderful. I will pray for you to find the right church and make the effort to get it done.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hi everyone, so I would like to be baptized however I am non-denominational Christian and ex-mormon, and that's where it gets tricky, choosing the right church to be baptized at
Hello Jessica, can I ask you what you believe baptism means, and what it signifies?

That is always a good starting point. You must have knowledge to become a Christian and it requires more than mere belief. You must then demonstrate that you have just done is a commitment for life...like a marriage.

The divided churches of Christendom are not great sources of knowledge....God does not reveal one truth to one church and then reveal a different truth to several others....there is but one truth in the Bible, and only a detailed study of God's word will prepare a person for the dedication that baptism brings with it. It is not an empty ritual and infant baptism is meaningless. No one can become a Christian by proxy. It is a very personal decision made willingly with all one's own heart and mind.

Jesus was baptized by John, but his was the first of its kind, leaving a model for his disciples to follow.
Do you know why Jesus was baptized?

Reactions: TheHC

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@chiclady Where in Yorkshire are you? i could ask people in my church if they know any good churches in your area.

Reactions: jessicaleks93

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Baptism, bugalugs, is a public acknowledgment of Jesus as your Saviour. The person who performs it is not the subject matter.
Jesus instructed the disciples to baptised in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. (Matthew 28:19)

It symbolises going down with Jesus into death and rising again with him....subsequently it is enacted in full immersion where one goes under and comes back up.

Baptism is not a ritual that signifies you belong to or are beholden to a particular denomination and their rules even if men talk in those terms and exploit it as such.

Personally, I don't care for a 'show' ie, fancy vestments or whatever else 'show' might entail.....and any body of water will suffice be it a river, a lake, the ocean or a public tub

Do some research and if you need more help, holler :)

Last edited:
Reactions: St. SteVen

JBO

Oct 20, 2023
Prescott, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Baptism, bugalugs, is a public acknowledgment of Jesus as your Saviour. The person who performs it is not the subject matter.
Jesus instructed the disciples to baptised in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. (Matthew 28:19)
That is not true. Baptizing and teaching are not commands. There is only one command in that passage and that is the command "make". Baptizing and teaching in Matthew 28:10-20 are participials modifying the command "make". They describe the process to be used in the making of the disciples; it is how the disciples are made. Grammatically, it is much the same as when I might say to a roofing company, "I want you to fix my roof, replacing any bad wood and installing new shingles. Replacing and installing are participials modifying the command "fix". It describes how the fixing is to be accomplished. So also then in Matthew 29:19-20, baptizing and teaching are both descriptions of the process to be used in the making of disciples. It is how the people (nations) become disciples.
It symbolises going down with Jesus into death and rising again with him....subsequently it is enacted in full immersion where one goes under and comes back up.
It is not about symbolizing anything; rather it describes the process to be used. I do agree that the baptizing is by full and complete immersion.
Baptism is not a ritual that signifies you belong to or are beholden to a particular denomination and their rules even if men talk in those terms and exploit it as such.
It not about signifying anything. It is the instant in time, the occasion, when God forgives the sins of the repentant believer and grants unto him the gift, the indwelling, of the Holy Spirit (Acts 2:38; Col 2:11-13; Rom 5:3-4; Gal 3:26-27; etc.).

jessicaleks93

Jan 1, 2024
Yorkshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hi @jessicaleks93 I'm in Lancashire. I became a member of the Church of England immediately after being born again. We had a lovely spirit filled vicar who did all he could to cater for the born again in his flock - it wasn't everybody. I got filled with the Holy Spirit and then after a few years I felt God was telling me to be baptised. Sadly our lovely vicar couldn't do it because the C of E belief that my infant 'Christening' counted as baptism so I left and joined non denominational church where i was welcomed and baptised after going through a sort of course for them to find out about me and me, them. My baptism was such a happy day.

I think the best thing to do is to find local non denom churches online and see which seems to fit you best. You could get in touch with the pastors for a one to one chat or visit on a Sunday to see if you feel right.

There is a Newfrontiers church - Kings Church in Selby and one called gateway church in Acomb and also City Church in York. If none of these are near enough it might be a good idea to get in touch with one of them and ask which they would recommend in your area.

The founder of Newfrontiers is a man called Terry Virgo who I loved to listen to, so that's why I thought of his fellowships.

The fact that you have been a mormon will not matter in the slightest, at least it shouldn't and if it does it's not the right place anyway. I hope you find a place to worship where you feel welcome and comfortable because the people will become your spiritual family. I will pray for you to find the right place and I'm sure you have already prayed about it yourself.
Thank you, thats really great to hear and I will look up those churches, I didn't know CofE refused baptisms if you were christened! I've never been christened though, thank you for your comment :)

Reactions: Pearl

jessicaleks93

Jan 1, 2024
Yorkshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Baptism and confirmation with the Holy Ghost is a great idea for you and a life changing experience with God. I was already Baptized when I was Mormon years ago and your right. It is an effective baptism. I'm currently non-denomination also. I think taking the effort to be baptized is wonderful. I will pray for you to find the right church and make the effort to get it done.
Are you now regular christian and no longer mormon?

Reactions: dev553344

jessicaleks93

Jan 1, 2024
Yorkshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Jessica, can I ask you what you believe baptism means, and what it signifies?

That is always a good starting point. You must have knowledge to become a Christian and it requires more than mere belief. You must then demonstrate that you have just done is a commitment for life...like a marriage.

The divided churches of Christendom are not great sources of knowledge....God does not reveal one truth to one church and then reveal a different truth to several others....there is but one truth in the Bible, and only a detailed study of God's word will prepare a person for the dedication that baptism brings with it. It is not an empty ritual and infant baptism is meaningless. No one can become a Christian by proxy. It is a very personal decision made willingly with all one's own heart and mind.

Jesus was baptized by John, but his was the first of its kind, leaving a model for his disciples to follow.
Do you know why Jesus was baptized?
Yes, I have a good understanding of what baptism is and what it signifies and how important it is that I have a legitimate baptism thats not in a corrupt church as a result, baptisms are not just a dunking in the water that any old church leader can do, thats why I made this post, because I understand the profoundness of baptism and frankly no churches here are up to scratch for it to say the least, so I'm a little stuck here.