How to hear God?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
As Christians, we have the Paraclete Indwelling Spirit, John 14:

17 the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you.
  1. The Paraclete speaks to our consciences (Romans 8:16). This is not a physical sound wave to be heard in your ears. It is not a voice in your head either. It is an intuitive discernment in your spirit. You can sense the rhema-word quietly. It is like a spiritual antenna. It is not an intuition in the usual sense of the word. You can only have this kind of intuition after the Holy Spirit has connected with your human spirit.
  2. We hear from the written word of God (2 Timothy 3:16-17). Read the Bible every day. I employ A Disciplined Probabilistic Approach to Biblical Hermeneutics to interpret the Bible.
  3. We hear from mature spiritual Christian brothers and sisters. We should not dismiss inputs from the not-so-mature siblings either.
  4. A lot of the time, God does not have any particular rhema-word for us. Then, let the peace of Christ guide us. This is the practice of walking in the Spirit.
  5. Pray daily. Make your prayers your prayer life.
These are not theories. I practice them daily for my spiritual growth.

John 14:

26 But the Helper [Paraclete], the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. 27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.
In some extremely rare cases, God actually speaks audible words in human ears, mostly to the prophets of the OT.

God sometimes speaks in a dream. If it does not come true, then it isn't God speaking.

See also How do you know whether a thought is from the Paraclete or not?.

Reactions: St. SteVen

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Got this message in my email this morning.

I was reviewing the book INDESTRUCTIBLE by Blake Healy yesterday, and felt compelled to share an amazing story that was in the book. It's long, but I pray it speaks to you & gives you a new insight on prayer & hearing God's answers as it did for to me! (Blake Healy has written 3 books on angels that I highly recommend if you are interested in more info about angels. The 3 books in order to read are The Veil, Profound Good, and Indestructible. They are small paperback easy read books.)

It's easier for me to type out than summarize. A woman came up to Blake in a prayer line at his church, and here's the story...

"My kids hate me. My husband won't talk to me. I have arthritis in both knees and in my right hand, and I just lost my job."
"Oh" I said, unsure how to respond. " That is pretty bad."
"yup"
"So you want me to just go ahead and pray for all of that?"
"Sure" she said, her tone growing somehow flatter. "I've done all the praying I can about it, and God hasn't done anything about it yet. Maybe He'll listen to you."
I knew that my prayers were no more special than hers but did not want to argue the point. After asking permission, I laid my hand on her shoulder and spoke a short prayer.
I saw three angels gather behind her as I prayed. Each had a canvas bag slung over its shoulder. I was wondering what they had in the bags when one of the angels loosened the cinched string at the top of the bag, revealing hundreds of stamped envelopes. They were all different sizes and shapes. Some were clean white, and others were a dull, aged yellow. But all of them had the same small red ink stamp in one corner that said, "Undelivered".
I finished my prayer and looked at the woman. Her expression had not changed. "So, you said that you had prayed about all this already, right?"
"Uh-huh," she said
"How do you pray? What do you say when you do?
"I just ask God to fix the problem."
"And do you get an answer?"
"Well, the problem is still there, so no."
I looked again at the bags of undelivered letters. "I see three angels standing behind you with big bags of undelivered mail. I think it means that God has a lot to say to you, but it hasn't been coming through. Have you ever learned about how to hear God's voice?"
"I guess not, no."
I proceeded to give a brief description of the different ways that God speaks. How He does not always speak in plain English and that He often speaks through visions, His still, small voice, and impressions. How creative He is with the way that He speaks to us.
"I'm wondering if you feel so powerless about everything that is happening in your life because you haven't heard what God has to say about it yet, " I continued. "Would you like to try to hear Him now?"
"Like, right now?"
"Yeah," I said. "Let's ask God what He has to say about your job situation."
"Ok"
I laid my hand on her shoulder again and prayed, "God, what do You have to say about her job?"
One of the angels reached into the canvas bag on its shoulder and pulled out a small letter. As I prayed, the angel opened the envelope and pulled out a single sheet of paper that was covered in golden handwriting, front and back. Before I could read any of the words, the angel tipped the letter over the woman's head as if he were holding a pitcher of water rather than a sheet of paper. The words and sentences on the pages tumbled off the edge, turning to fine golden dust as they drifted down and landed on the top of the woman's head.
"Did you just hear something?"
She was silent for a long moment before she said, "No, I didn't hear anything. But right before you asked, I just felt this sense of peace wash over me all of a sudden."
"That's great!"
"It's nice, she said, "but what does it mean? Does it mean I'm going to get a new job? Does it mean that God isn't worried about me losing my job? Does it mean that I just need to chill out about all of this?
I laughed. " It means that God is releasing peace on you, that's all. If He has more to say about it, then He will give you more."
"What about my husband?" she said, her voice carrying a twinge of emotion for the first time in our conversation. "Can we ask God about that?"
"Of course."
We prayed again, and again I saw one of the angels produce an envelope from one of the canvas bags. The angel pulled another note written in golden ink from the new envelope, but this time, instead of tipping it, the angel laid the note across the top of the woman's head.
"Did you hear or feel something else?" I asked.
"I just had this picture pop in my head, like a memory that I didn't have before." A sudden trickle of tears ran down her face. "It's me and my husband. We're talking and laughing like we did when we first met, but we look like we do now."
"That;s beautiful."
"But what is it? " she asked, her tears still flowing.
"I think it's a promise. I think He is showing you what He is going to do."
Three weeks later she came running up to tell me that she had gotten a new job, one that paid even better than her old one. Two months later she told me that she and her husband were renewing their vows. A month after that she said that all her kids were coming over for dinner for the first time in years. After a year nearly every part of her life had been renewed, all because she learned to hear God's voice.
-----------------------------

/