In what sense are believers not under the law?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Before Jesus' sacrifice on the cross, people were under the condemnation of the law. Jesus died to release the Paraclete who dwells in believers. Romans 6:

14 For sin shall no longer be your master, because you are not under the law, but under grace.
Under grace, we have a new life in our spirit with the Paraclete. Galatians 5:

18 If you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.
We are no longer led by the law, but by the Paraclete of peace in our conscience.

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Before Jesus' sacrifice on the cross, everyone was under the law. Jesus died to release the Paraclete who dwells in believers. Romans 6:

We are no longer led by the law, but by the Paraclete of peace in our conscience.
Why do you say Paraclete? We don't normally speak in ancient Greek.

To answer your question . . . gentiles never were under the Law, which was a covenant made between God and Israel.

Believers are under the Law of Christ, which is to say that Jesus guides us personally, not according to a written list of laws.

Israelites who are redeemed were under the Law, but being baptized into Christ, they have died with Him, meaning the Law is finished with them. The Law required their death, and in Christ they have died, satisfying the Law.

Much love!

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Before Jesus' sacrifice on the cross, everyone was under the law.
Sorry; this is a common misconception, but it is not correct either biblically or historically.

Romans 2:12 said:
12 For as many as have sinned without Torah (the Law) shall also perish without Torah (the Law): and as many as have sinned in the law shall be judged by the law
God's People were under Torah (the Law); Gentiles were not. It was a major issue in the early Church as to whether Gentile converts were obligated to keep Torah; see Acts 15, Romans 2, and Galatians everything.

I understand Paul's argument in Romans 7-8 is that while Torah can identify Sin as sin (Romans 7:7), Torah does not empower the believer to overcome the weakness of the Flesh (Romans 8:3). The Spirit does; see Romans 8:1-17 and 8:4 in particular. So, there's no point in us keeping Torah.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Before Jesus' sacrifice on the cross, everyone was under the law. Jesus died to release the Paraclete who dwells in believers. Romans 6:

As to the question…. In what sense are believers not under the law? In no sense are believers under the Mosaic Laws….because as a concept the “Law” does not apply to Christianity….Period.

There are similar morals in Christianity but only as basic common sense morals. 613 Mosaic Laws but still the morals of Christianity far exceed the morals of anything in the Old Testament.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Before Jesus' sacrifice on the cross, people were under the condemnation of the law. Jesus died to release the Paraclete who dwells in believers. Romans 6:

The law is our friend - it keeps us out of trouble. If I rob a bank, I go to prison. It's in my best interests to obey the law. But, then, one needs a proper definition of the law.

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The law is our friend - it keeps us out of trouble. If I rob a bank, I go to prison. It's in my best interests to obey the law. But, then, one needs a proper definition of the law.
And if the Spirit leads us and empowers us to obey the specific things in agreement with the Torah [the Law], is that not a good thing?

Reactions: Bob Estey