How to Test the Spirits?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Simply, you plead the blood of Jesus Christ on them (1 John 4).

Plead as in beg? Who are we begging to and for what... specifically?

And where in the New Testament can we read about "begging or pleading the Blood of Jesus"?
I've a considerable amount of time attending full gospel churches and they talked about pleading the Blood of Jesus frequently but never provided and scripture references for this practice.

Plead /plēd/ (intransitive verb)
To appeal earnestly; beg.

Here's what Jesus said...

Mark 16:17
And these signs shall follow them that believe; In My Name THEY shall cast out devils

He is saying WE are to cast the devil out in His Name.

Jesus isn't saying anything about begging for the Blood of Jesus to do something... nothing about begging God to get the devil off of us... and nothing about begging the devil to leave us alone which of course would make the demons laugh and would be providing entertainment for them!

Now there is this...

Revelation 12:11
they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony

But, this involves us saying something, and believing something, and standing on God's Word!

The reason why the devil doesn't have to leave most Christians alone is because... they aren't following the instructions the Lord has provided to us in His Word.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From the OP:

That's not the correct Biblical answer.

HERE... is how Apostle John said to try the spirits, to see if they are of God or not...

1 John 4:1-3
4 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:

And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.
KJV

Are there SOME here on this forum that refuse to confess that Jesus Christ is GOD come in the flesh? Matthew 1:23 says His name is "Emmanuel" which means 'God with us' as written there. That is what Apostle John meant about confessing that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh as God.

Let's hear it from those who REJECT what John showed there! Speak up you servants of the devil here!

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So God is a killer, destroyer, Provider of delusions, is jealous, a hater .... and is consistent in being these? All these characteristics of your God are plainly seen in your bible, aren't they? I'm sure you can easily find them in there. Let me know if you need help finding the references.
Satan is what has brought death into the world as it was the corruption of sin that caused all this..

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From the OP:

Meanwhile, Buddha's still dead, Mohammed's still dead; but Jesus' resurrection from the dead to life was witnessed by ~600 people, many of whom we know of by name today.

Jesus IS the Christ, the one christened of God, and is the ONE and ONLY true Authority, above all "authorities."

Demons tremble; believers do not. Learn how to wield your authority.
The thing is, if you accept a 'spirit' and allow it in, it can make you say things out of your own mouth and do things with your body that is not you as we see many times, and notice what they plead...
Mark 1:23-24
23 And there was in their synagogue a man with an unclean spirit; and he cried out,
24 Saying, Let us alone; what have we to do with thee, thou Jesus of Nazareth? art thou come to destroy us? I know thee who thou art, the Holy One of God.

And they knew who Christ was but the person they had taken over was still under 'spirits' control..

Mark 3:11-12
11 And unclean spirits, when they saw him, fell down before him, and cried, saying, Thou art the Son of God.
12 And he straitly charged them that they should not make him known.

And those with the 'spirit' were not speading the Gospel with the tongue, or singing words of praise, or clearly not loving God and their fellow man when they had the 'spirit'...

Mark 5:2-3
2 And when he was come out of the ship, immediately there met him out of the tombs a man with an unclean spirit,
3 Who had his dwelling among the tombs; and no man could bind him, no, not with chains:

And in fact the people that had these 'spirits' were vexed, violent or worse, and their loved ones wanted it out much like what we would see in the islands.

Mark 7:25-26
25 For a certain woman, whose young daughter had an unclean spirit, heard of him, and came and fell at his feet:
26 The woman was a Greek, a Syrophenician by nation; and she besought him that he would cast forth the devil out of her daughter.

And those with the 'spirit' would throw themselves down and act in a manner we see even today...

Luke 9:39-42
39 And, lo, a spirit taketh him, and he suddenly crieth out; and it teareth him that he foameth again, and bruising him hardly departeth from him.
40 And I besought thy disciples to cast him out; and they could not.
41 And Jesus answering said, O faithless and perverse generation, how long shall I be with you, and suffer you? Bring thy son hither.
42 And as he was yet a coming, the devil threw him down, and tare him. And Jesus rebuked the unclean spirit, and healed the child, and delivered him again to his father.

And notice these people were 'possessed' with these 'spirits' when they were doing these things...
Acts 8:7
For unclean spirits, crying with loud voice, came out of many that were possessed with them: and many taken with palsies, and that were lame, were healed.

So have to see what 'spirit' is speaking from you....

Reactions: Cassandra

12question

Dec 9, 2023
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Satan is what has brought death into the world as it was the corruption of sin that caused all this..
Yes Satan definitely has his hand in this and so has God Who designed and created Satan. God designed, created and put a potential stumbling block (a certain tree) in Adam and Eve's path. God placed this object of temptation AND a tempter with it not knowing what the outcome would be? I think God is smarter than that. God knew full well what was about to happen. So God had organised His creations in such a way that when they came together something very good would turn out very not good. But I believe that God had a long term plan that would include His plan for very good and very not good to end up being something He finds pleasure with. I'm so encouraged that God knows what will bring the Creators , along with ALL Their creations, pleasure in an age to come. Will all be reconciled to God the Father? Absolutely, to the glory of their/our Creators. From Adam to the last human to exist, from Michael the archangel to Satan including ALL created beings will be redeemed by the blood of the Lamb of God when we all repent. Unfortunately it might be said that this merciful and gracious God thought up, designed and created a hell and lake of fire according to His script. Thankfully it will end up empty in eternity when the last being repents and is reconciled to their Creator. Oh the brilliant love of God that He should persevere until every being has turned to Him to seek His mercy and grace. Oh His love that He would forgive us all when we call on Him and ask for forgiveness. Oh the love of God that will overshadow His vengeance and pardon every offender and our offences will be absolved, never to be remembered again as this is what love does. And God is love. What a wonderful Creator we have!

12question

Dec 9, 2023
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Plead as in beg? Who are we begging to and for what... specifically?

And where in the New Testament can we read about "begging or pleading the Blood of Jesus"?
I've a considerable amount of time attending full gospel churches and they talked about pleading the Blood of Jesus frequently but never provided and scripture references for this practice.

Plead /plēd/ (intransitive verb)
To appeal earnestly; beg.

Here's what Jesus said...

Mark 16:17
And these signs shall follow them that believe; In My Name THEY shall cast out devils

He is saying WE are to cast the devil out in His Name.

Jesus isn't saying anything about begging for the Blood of Jesus to do something... nothing about begging God to get the devil off of us... and nothing about begging the devil to leave us alone which of course would make the demons laugh and would be providing entertainment for them!

Now there is this...

Revelation 12:11
they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony

But, this involves us saying something, and believing something, and standing on God's Word!

The reason why the devil doesn't have to leave most Christians alone is because... they aren't following the instructions the Lord has provided to us in His Word.
BBJ why are you so hell bent on limiting God and His instructions to the bible which is so extremely limited in what information it contains? Are you limiting God from communicating with us with the absolute freedom which He possesses or is He limited too. Enjoy your God in your bible box, but as for me, I'm enjoying the God Who has broken free from any box anyone has ever tried to put Him in. The God I'm in a relationship with is so free that I am only beginning to fathom His freedom. I love Him and I'm excited to explore the freedom of God and the freedom He has been inviting me to enter into. Like most who identify as followers of the Creators, I once kept myself and God in the bible bubble but I thank Him regularly for bursting that bubble and allowing me to embark on an adventure beyond the bible. I understand if you reject and oppose what I am saying because I would have done the same. But I cannot go back. I can not unsee what He has shown me. What was a beautiful space (within the covers of he bible) became a restrictive space and now that I've experienced life with my God on the outside of the bible I am encouraging as many as I can to join me. Is the bible of no use? It certainly is, but of very limited use.

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
BBJ why are you so hell bent on limiting God and His instructions to the bible which is so extremely limited in what information it contains?

I'm not limiting the Lord to anything. I'm simply looking at what He said in His Word.

Any teaching given by the True Holy Spirit... is backed up by scripture.

Jesus said the Holy Ghost would lead us in to ALL Truth (John 16:13),
and Jesus said God's Word IS Truth (John 17:17)

Since you have no scripture showing we should "beg" the Blood of Jesus.... we can know that it's not biblical.

What we DO know is what Jesus told us... we are to cast the devil out in Jesus' Name! amen2.gif

And remember... paragraphs are your friend! agree.gif

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
BBJ why are you so hell bent on limiting God and His instructions to the bible which is so extremely limited in what information it contains? Are you limiting God from communicating with us with the absolute freedom which He possesses or is He limited too. Enjoy your God in your bible box, but as for me, I'm enjoying the God Who has broken free from any box anyone has ever tried to put Him in. The God I'm in a relationship with is so free that I am only beginning to fathom His freedom. I love Him and I'm excited to explore the freedom of God and the freedom He has been inviting me to enter into. Like most who identify as followers of the Creators, I once kept myself and God in the bible bubble but I thank Him regularly for bursting that bubble and allowing me to embark on an adventure beyond the bible. I understand if you reject and oppose what I am saying because I would have done the same. But I cannot go back. I can not unsee what He has shown me. What was a beautiful space (within the covers of he bible) became a restrictive space and now that I've experienced life with my God on the outside of the bible I am encouraging as many as I can to join me. Is the bible of no use? It certainly is, but of very limited use.
To the extent that the Bible contains the Word of God, are we not to obey it? Has God not limited Himself by what He has spoken for He does not lie? He is unable to change or break His own Word!

Consider that God has allowed man the freedom to live however He can and wants to... If using that freedom comes into conflict with what God has ordained, will not man pay a price?

Consider what the natural children of Jacob did:

Ps 78:41Yea, they turned back and tempted God, and limited the Holy One of Israel
Yes, they limited God because God had given them the ability to do things which God had forbidden them to do.

God has given us similar freedom: the freedom to sin, but has He not prescribed for us also a price for using that freedom?
Ro 6:23For the wages of sin is death;...

12question

Dec 9, 2023
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Has God not limited Himself by what He has spoken
Not at all. He has the freedom to change His mind, His ways, His decrees, His commands.

He has limited His creations it appears. He subjected His creation to decay. He will change his course of action at some stage of eternity and set it/us all free.

Again, I don't know why we want to keep trying to justify the act of limiting a God Who is unlimited. He is free to do good and not good.

God as highlighted in the bible shows that He is a killer Joshua 10:11; He is a destroyer, Genesis 6-9 Rev.16; Provider of delusion, 2 Thes 2:11; Jealous, Exodus 34:14; Hater, Mal 1:3 & Rom. 9:13 to name a few. Yet He is a Redeemer, Is 44:24, Provider of good gifts, James 1:17; Restorer, Jer 30:17 & Acts 3:21 .....

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not at all. He has the freedom to change His mind, His ways, His decrees, His commands.

Be very careful with that... what if He changes His mind about His promise that all who call upon the Lord shall be saved?

He's not going to do that, but if the devil can get people to believe God is doing just whatever, whenever... he could get them to believe his lies about God's promises and His warnings.

Hebrews 6:18
That by two immutable things, in which it was impossible for God to lie, we might have a strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold upon the hope set before us:

Jeremiah 1:12
I watch over my word to perform it.

Malachi 3:6
For I am the LORD, I change not

There have been times when the Lord changes the way He deals with situation based on their actions such as when Jonah was sent to Nineveh... God had said He was going to whack them all, but they repented and God spared them

That's because mercy rejoices against judgement (James 2:13) meaning He would much rather have mercy on people... that is IF they turn from their sin and submit to Him.

So God cannot just arbitrarily decide to quit honoring His promises as this would make Him a liar... which can never happen since God said He cannot lie (Hebrews 6:18)

Those that think God just does whatever, whenever... are easily deceived by the enemy

This is exactly how the devil deceived Eve was by getting her to believe something other than what God had said... and that right there is the devil's modus operandi... it's how he deceives people.

Reactions: Ziggy and amadeus

12question

Dec 9, 2023
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Be very careful with that... what if He changes His mind about His promise that all who call upon the Lord shall be saved?
That is very much ok with me as it isn't about me and what I can get out of what God has given me in this life or the next, it's about Him doing things for His pleasure, glory or for whatever else He so desires.

I am more like a robot under His control or like a piece of playdough in His hands. He imagined me, designed me, created me, owns me and has every right to do with me as He desires. I love and trust Him enough to be perfectly fine with this reality.

Suppose I make some playdough because I get pleasure from making things with it, and I make it in several different colours, then after I finish using them I gather each colour and place them in their respective containers, I can. If some get mixed up I can decide what I want to do with that. I can throw it in the bin. I can change my mind and get it out of the bin, mix it all together forming another colour to play with another time. I can throw the lot in the bin and start again next time. The great thing is, I have absolute control over my playdough to do with it as I please. I can even give it away.

How much more the Sovereign Creator and Owner of all things. What a fantastic truth this is and He can impart or not impart this knowledge to whoever He decides.

So I will not be full of care (careful) but rather full of the Spirit, bearing God's true colours, being whoever They want me to be FOR THEIR PLEASURE!

12question

Dec 9, 2023
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
if the devil can get people to believe God is doing just whatever, whenever... he could get them to believe his lies about God's promises and His warnings.
I have no fear of the devil and what he says. If I happen to be deceived by him at any time my Sovereign Owner will see to it that it is exposed and rejected if that is His will.

Last edited:

12question

Dec 9, 2023
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
That by two immutable things, in which it was impossible for God to lie, we might have a strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold upon the hope set before us:
I'm not to sure I understand why you quoted this. Did someone say, God is a liar?
Those that think God just does whatever, whenever... are easily deceived by the enemy
I follow God the Great Shepherd, listening for and hearing His voice as He communicates with me. One of the things He said which was recorded is, My sheep will not listen to a stranger, in fact they will run away from them. My sheep hear MY voice. Now that is pretty reassuring and confidence building, don't you think?
There have been times when the Lord changes the way He deals with situation based on their actions such as when Jonah was sent to Nineveh... God had said He was going to whack them all, but they repented and God spared them

That's because mercy rejoices against judgement (James 2:13) meaning He would much rather have mercy on people... that is IF they turn from their sin and submit to Him.
Amen to that BBJ! I love what you said here, mercy rejoices against judgement. All glory to God for He is a merciful Creator, bursting with loving kindness which I happily testify of, after being a recipient of these, and much much more of HIM, over a 40 year period.

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have no fear of the devil and what he says. If I happen to be deceived by him at any time my Sovereign Owner will see to it that it is exposed and rejected if that is His will.

So you believe God can decide to NOT honor His promises?

God would be a liar if He did that!

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Hobie - Here's some more scripture for you.

The Importance Of Speaking In Tongues.
There are at least four basic manifestations of the gift of tongue

• Tongues for personal edification. (1 Corinthians 14:4) This is the supernatural language the Holy Spirit prays through us that we can use to pray hour after hour if we desire. It often accompanies the baptism of the Holy Spirit.
1 Corinthians 14:4
Anyone who speaks in a tongue edifies themselves.

• Tongues which require an interpretation. (1 Corinthians 14:5) This manifestation of tongues is normally presented in a public assembly accompanied by an interpretation by the same or another person. (Romans 8:26)
1 Corinthians 14:5
I would like every one of you to speak in tongues, but I would rather have you prophesy. The one who prophesies is greater than the one who speaks in tongues, unless someone interprets, so that the church may be edified.

• Tongues of deep intercessional groaning. (Romans 8:26) This diversification of tongues empowers the believers to stand in the gap for their own lives, their families, their church, their city, their nation etc. God may also call on them to intercede for someone or for some situation that is totally unknown.
Romans 8:26
In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans.

• Tongues as a sign to unbelievers. (1 Corinthians 14:22) This is the phenomenon that took place on the day of Pentecost. (Acts2:4-11) It occurs when the Holy Spirit transcends the intellect and all language barriers by empowering a believer to preach, teach or testify about Christ in some language of man of which the believer himself has no knowledge.
1 Corinthians 14:22
Tongues, then, are a sign, not for believers but for unbelievers;

I have also found that singing in tongues to praise and worship is another lovely way we can use the gift. And praying in tongues silently either in support of another person who is ‘ministering’ or in a public place is another way of using this gift. I have come under fire on some Christian sites for expressing these views, but I firmly believe them. And still sing and pray in tongues without 'babbling'.
Yes, and when you have someone babbling and singing incoherent and incomprehensibly which edifies no one, then what. Need to discern the true purpose of this gift..

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not to sure I understand why you quoted this. Did someone say, God is a liar?

Those that claim God can arbitrarily not honor His Word are in fact calling God a liar.

It's another way of saying God does not say what He means or means what He says.

The devil loves people that say stuff like this as they are his kinsmen!

I follow God the Great Shepherd, listening for and hearing His voice as He communicates with me. One of the things He said which was recorded is, My sheep will not listen to a stranger, in fact they will run away from them. My sheep hear MY voice. Now that is pretty reassuring and confidence building, don't you think?

If as some claim God sometimes does not honor His Own Word... then they are not hearing His voice! Simply because they put themselves in opposition to the Lord.

Besides, there has never been a Christian that has heard to voice of the Lord with absolute 100% perfection... not that the problem is with the Lord speaking, it's with those trying to hear Him.

The majority of the speaking God does to man is... His written Word, so without knowing what God has already said to mankind, it's very easy to just "think" one is getting the Lord's leading

2 Timothy 2:15
Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Some people make the mistake of thinking only the words in red are the Words of the Lord.

Some fail to realize that when Jesus ascended back up to Heaven, He continued His teaching ministry thru His Apostles that He used to put God's Word in print.

This is a grave mistake and one brought by the devil's chicanery that these people so easily fall for since they don't know what God has already said.

Amen to that BBJ! I love what you said here, mercy rejoices against judgement. All glory to God for He is a merciful Creator, bursting with loving kindness which I happily testify of, after being a recipient of these, and much much more of HIM, over a 40 year period.

And the flip side of the coin is equally as true. God judges!

Romans 11:18-22
Boast not against the branches. But if thou boast, thou bearest not the root, but the root thee.
Thou wilt say then, The branches were broken off, that I might be graffed in.
Well; because of unbelief they were broken off, and thou standest by faith.
Be not highminded, but fear:
For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee.

Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, IF thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off.

Clearly here the Lord is telling us IF we do not continue in his goodness we will be cut off which is what Jesus tells us in John 15 all of which tells us that once saved always saved is false doctrine and is not taught by the Lord in His Word.

Now some "claim" the Lord told them OSAS was the gospel... but sadly, they are mistaken and have to ignore portions of God's Word to hold that position.

Reactions: amadeus

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

What?? IF it's His will???

You mean sometimes the Lord does not expose deception to you because it's God will for you to be deceived? clueless-scratching.gif