Howdy

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Really? So does the American flag.
A founding purpose of the US government was not slavery. Like it or not, it was part of the CSA's reasons for existence. One can debate about the extent all day long, but it was there regardless. To engage otherwise is total historical revisionism and idealism. See R. L. Dabney for a leading Christian example.

Kingdom trumps fabric, but yet you continue to wear clothes. I don't see the connection.

The neither do I see the connection of this remark. To state it another way, I'm a Christian before I am a southerner.

Then you should learn more of the truth surrounding that flag and its people. Never did a flag represent a more Christian population than the Confederate flag for the Southern people.
Let's roll on a debate then, I'm a student of history and I've built historically reliable apps for the US Army signed off on by the base Command Historian. I hate to throw the charge out because again I am a very proud southerner, but this is nationalism, pure and simple.

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
I started a new thread in order to continue this debate in an appropriate forum. You can go to the thread by clicking here.

Quantrill

Nov 29, 2013
Texas
HammerStone said:
A founding purpose of the US government was not slavery. Like it or not, it was part of the CSA's reasons for existence. One can debate about the extent all day long, but it was there regardless. To engage otherwise is total historical revisionism and idealism. See R. L. Dabney for a leading Christian example.

Kingdom trumps fabric, but yet you continue to wear clothes. I don't see the connection.

The neither do I see the connection of this remark. To state it another way, I'm a Christian before I am a southerner.

Let's roll on a debate then, I'm a student of history and I've built historically reliable apps for the US Army signed off on by the base Command Historian. I hate to throw the charge out because again I am a very proud southerner, but this is nationalism, pure and simple.
Slavery was protected under the Constitution. How do you say it was not part of the purpose of the American government?

Quantrill

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
I have changed the title of the new thread that I started in the Christian Debate Forum.

It is now titled "Christianity & the Old South (USA)".

I apologize for the previous title.

Quantrill said:
Slavery was protected under the Constitution. How do you say it was not part of the purpose of the American government?

Quantrill
When the U.S. Constitution was written, slavery was permitted to continue in order to get the southern states to ratify the U.S. Constitution.

Back in 1776, when the Declaration of Independence was being drafted, it originally contained the following statements:

he [the king of England]has waged cruel war against human nature itself, violating

it's most sacred rights of life & liberty in the persons of

a distant people who never offended him, captivating & carrying

them to slavery in another hemisphere, or to incur miserable

death in their transportations thither. this piratical warfare,

the opprobrium of infidel powers, is the warfare of the Christian

king of Great Britain. determined to keep open a market where MEN

should be bought & sold, he has prostituted his negative for

suppressing every legislative attempt to prohibit or to restrain

determining to keep open a market where MEN should be bought & sold
this excrable commerce ^ and that this assemblage of horrors might

want no fact of distiguished die, he is now exciting those very

people to rise in arms against us, and to purchase that liberty

of which he has deprived them, by murdering the people upon whom

he also obtruded them; thus paying off former crimes which he

urges them to commit against the lives of another.
Quote Source

That above-quoted statements were left out in order to get the southern colonies to go along with the pursuit of independence from England.

Quantrill

Nov 29, 2013
Texas
Dodo_David said:
I have changed the title of the new thread that I started in the Christian Debate Forum.

It is now titled "Christianity & the Old South (USA)".

I apologize for the previous title.

When the U.S. Constitution was written, slavery was permitted to continue in order to get the southern states to ratify the U.S. Constitution.

Back in 1776, when the Declaration of Independence was being drafted, it originally contained the following statements:

Quote Source

That above-quoted statements were left out in order to get the southern colonies to go along with the pursuit of independence from England.
I appreciate the title change.

Slavery was allowed because it was accepted by all states at that time. There were slaves in the North as there were in the South.

It's protection did not come under the 10 ammendments which were necessary to get the Constitution ratified. They are part of the original Constitution.

Article 4 "....No person held to service or labour in one state, under the laws thereof, escaping into another, shall, in consequence of any law or regulation therein, be dishcharged from such service or labour, but shall be delievered up on claim of the party to whom such service or labour may be due. "

Slavery was part of the U.S. Not just the South.

Quantrill