Humble yourselves daily

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

gumby

May 29, 2009
Hi there CB members i would like to chat with yall about being humble in our daily walk with god and lot letting pride get the best of us, jesus himself commands us to be humble. Matthew 23:12, Luke 18:14, James 4:10 and 1st Peter 5:5. Its very important to realize that gods will is what we want to be in and its god we must submit to and humble ourselves. God bless :)

Redeemed22

Nov 10, 2009
Citizen of Heaven
I just listened to a sermon by John Piper about humility.He mentioned some things similiar to [don't quote me!], "Humility is agreeing with, and rejoicing in, the idea that every breath we have or don't have, every possession we have or don't have, every gifting we have or don't have, is completely from God and it is magnificant and supremely best that God has chosen it that way. Humility is saying 'God is sovereign, and I would not have it any other way.' in every circumstance."I heard someone else say, "Humility is not thinking less of yourself, but thinking of yourself less." Out individual value comes from what God has done. If we beat ourselves up all the time, ignoring the worth and identity we receive from Christ, then we are saying that we know better than God. You can be very prideful and self absorbed while beating yourself up.As best as I can remember, Piper explained that the world rejects humility for three (amoung other) reasons:1) Humility makes you gloomy, having a sad existance2) Humility makes you fearful and timid3) Humility interferes with accomplishment, making you lazy.Piper responds:1) No! Humility allows you to laugh unreservedly because you don't care about keeping up an image. You make no calculations about how you are being perceived. Humility allows you to enjoy life because you are pretending to have everything together. You can be genuine and not fake joy! 2) No! The world gives this answer because the best source of courage they can think of is self confidence. "God confidence" gives greater confidence than self-confidence ever could provide. Isaiah 51:12-13. Who do you think you are to be afraid? Who do you think you are to fear man, and have forgotten the Lord, your maker? Fear of man is prideful, and so humility releases us from this fear!3) No! The world gives this answer because they can't imagine any driving factor other than selfish ambition. The Word, and history show that the grace of God in the heart of a humble believer who depends utterly on God produces incredible industry.. 1 Cor 15:10.-Redeemed22

Jimmy Engle

Jun 17, 2009
New York
John Piper is a great preacher. It can be hard to be humble at times. The culture we live in is all about pride and self achievement and it's easy to get caught up in it :/

Teacher

Nov 17, 2009
Dear Gumby:My nickname is "Teacher," and I am new to the board.Humility is certainly an improtant characataristic for Christians. The Lord taught it as well.The scripture that comes to my mind is Ephesians 4:1-3:
I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called, With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love; Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. KJV