Removed Thread.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Zachariah

Mar 20, 2023
Belief in government = belief in slavery.
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Loving your true self is definitely key. When I say true self I do not mean the egoic self. We identify the true self to our feelings of trauma, shame and grief. The reason most people never experience true salvation is because they are to scared to face the dark side of their psyche and would rather hide from it within the identity of the ego. Water is symbolic for the true self, this is why Christians do the ritual of baptism. It is when we turn our "water to wine" or our water to "living water" we experience eternal life. One must deal with his shadow and there for allow the light to shine in. This is a hard process and requires courage. It is courage.

To be able to spread light, we must become the light. We must identify as God and become as God is.

Reactions: St. SteVen

Gottservant

Oct 19, 2022
Greensborough
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I think the thing is that we think "I've learned the 'I can't fix myself' lesson" and then we find that the Holy Spirit is reminding us of it, down the track and we think "No, I can't have fixed myself improperly, I've already learned that lesson!" - like we rate our perfection as higher than it is and then we refuse to be contradicted (we hide behind this or that verse, that makes it look like we've learned all we need to learn).

I do this with proverbs, I come up with a great proverb and I think "wow, I must have my Christianity right, now!" and I search for confirmation and I don't find it and I think "I'll come back to it later", still thinking that that great proverb was somehow my doing.

What's remarkable to God's design, is that this process of coming to God and then departing again and asserting our own will in what we think is "His absence" (the way they did in the garden, remember) this process doesn't destroy us, not completely anyway. Like there is more love in the Love of God, than all the sins Man could put together under his own name. So at times we feel loved and others not, and gradually we learn to just come back to God.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I have found unlearning helpful. What I mean by that is putting my natural disposition of defending my understanding on hold while new information is presented. Sure, there are a lot of BS 'solutions' out there and it takes time to discern them. It also takes good new information out there and my role it to hear it. ...'hear' being present continuous

How does the process of health begin? it begins by asking God for wisdom and discernment......and know, it will likely arrive by osmosis as opposed to an instant gratification fix. Patience is mandatory as is self honesty. Don't give up on asking, seeking and knocking

Reactions: St. SteVen

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is something I keep reading over and over again. It's this concept that you got to learn to love yourself before other people will love you. It's this idea that you can make yourself whole. How on Earth these ideas got into Christianity is beyond me.

Mark 12:30-31
30 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ 31 The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than these.”

1 Peter 5:6-8
6 Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. 7 Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.

The way I understand it is, we are supposed to give the Lord ourselves and then He makes us whole.

Look people, I know that I'm broken and it is probably some of my brokenness that drives people away. Who knows. But one thing I know, I can't fix myself. I can pray and ask Jesus to fix me. And I have done that many times. If He chooses not to fix me, then I can not be fixed. It is not that I don't try to keep my end of the bargain. I use the resources that I have available to me to try and fix things. I guess there is no end to trying... When I go to bed at night I feel like things are over, and I'm just waiting until the end of my life happens. Sometimes I feel evil and that I will end up in Hell. It's hard to see the light. Even the Bible doesn't help me as much as one would think it would. I'm in it a lot, yet my natural mind doesn't gravitate to the positive scriptures but rather it gravitates to the scary ones. That is just how I've always been wired.[/B]
A major way we become whole is by renewing our minds. We usually think of our thoughts as this onslaught we cannot control. We are taught to cast down every thought contrary to what God would have us think.

In this world, our internal thoughts, the devil, and the world are trying to take us out. You can not afford to have a defeated mindset. You must fight. Sometimes mental health is an every day battle. Fighting can look like pushing yourself to eat better or taking a walk or even just getting dressed and doing something useful when you don't have to.

But the mind can be your biggest enemy. If you can brute force truth each and every time a lie or self defeating thought comes into your head, and you become aware of it---that is how God can and will transform you.

Often, I say out loud "I will praise you for I am fearfully and wonderfully made." Replacing thoughts of shame and comparison.

I try to start prayer by thanking God for everything I can think of big and small. This is a guaranteed mood lift and helps to get into God's presence.

Praise is also a game changer. Praise, not because you feel it. Praise until you feel it.

If any of this feels unnatural or forced at first, good. Change always feels like that at first. If you want to stop being overcome with negative thoughts, you will have to do things different. But you must fight, especially in your mind or this world and the thoughts you allow are going to take you out.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I thought listening the Bible on a regular basis is supposed to renew my mind. I guess it doesn't work for me.
We are hardwired at such a young age. Nature, nurture-don't matter it still is the same thing. We can, and do pray from a very early age to (some of us) be "normal", loved, understood. It is very difficult for me to understand when He is silent sor decades on heartfelt, fervent, tearful prayers to be delivered from what is holding us back. We check ourselves, we thank Him for His forgiveness, we pray, read scripture...at the end of the day, some of us have only ourselves and Jesus.
Praying for us both AOAJ.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some people seemed to be hardwired for positivity right out of the box.

When I was forced to see a consular, I was diagnosed with a long list of issues. One was Dysthymic Disorder. Another one was Anxiety, Depression, and Mixed Personality Disorder. Also add to that, OCD. That didn't even include my learning disability.

Right now I'm doing really bad because I'm tired. Tonight I'm going to try and get better sleep.

When I'm feeling this low, I feel like God made me for Hell. I obsess over a sin, that the Bible isn't 100% clear it's a sin. But most Christians say it is. Therefor I feel that I'm going to hell.
That is something I too think everyday at some point. I'll say things (to myself) you aren't saved! You would be jumping with joy if you were! You would not be so low in spirit if you were a TRUE Christian...on and on...Satan is very good at this with folks like us, who spend the lion's share of time alone. Not to mention, some on these forums can really add to what Satan is whispering in our ear, maybe not intentionally yet, same outcome...NO edification but tons of judging things they only ASSume.
We simply must hold on tight to Him despite what situation we find ourselves in.
We cannot listen to such voices brother, they only give Satan the tiny crack that he needs to rip it wide open and, before you know it, the negative thoughts only get stronger.

Still continuing to pray for you, myself and a couple others I know who need this very prayer to be answered. Satan wears down the saints, most especially in this day and age. So sad that he has most of humanity serving him knowingly or unknowingly. I've given him way more of my life than I could have ever realized! No more, period, no more.

Over the weeks there is a song that is a pure worship song (IMHO) It's all about Him and does lift me up immediately. You know this song, I'm pretty sure. I'll send it P.M.

RedRobyn

Apr 11, 2023
North West
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hi @AlwaysOnAJourney and @Nancy
I am with you both. Saran is always telling me that I am not saved.
I believe that fighting our sins is a life time job, but Jesus will finish off what He started.
Still I doubt my salvation.
What worries me is that it makes ne separated from God and I stop reading scripture and praying.
The way i Iook at it now is that even if I am not saved I want to serve God until I die, because I love Him so much. So I still repent and fight the battle and I want to help His people and help to bring Jesus into people's
lives. So I will keep on trying even if I am not saved.
Blessings to you all.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hi @AlwaysOnAJourney and @Nancy
I am with you both. Saran is always telling me that I am not saved.
I believe that fighting our sins is a life time job, but Jesus will finish off what He started.
Still I doubt my salvation.
What worries me is that it makes ne separated from God and I stop reading scripture and praying.
The way i Iook at it now is that even if I am not saved I want to serve God until I die, because I love Him so much. So I still repent and fight the battle and I want to help His people and help to bring Jesus into people's
lives. So I will keep on trying even if I am not saved.
Blessings to you all.
Be assured RR unless you actively reject God's kindness either overtly or by religious pretension of some description, we are promised Salvation. It is the Devil's dogged intentions to get us to doubt it and to discourage us. Stand firm and allow God's Spirit to comfort you in the knowledge of this reality .....his affection for you. He wants you more than you can imagine.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: RedRobyn and Nancy

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My negative mindset started when I was in Kindergarten, I can remember back that far. It hurts like crazy to think positively. It's like my brain was built to run in a negative way. Even when I read the Bible I gravitate to the negative things. Scriptures about hell etc. When I'm listening the Bible I never feel the love. I feel the rules, and I get the feeling that I always need to be doing better.
Will simply continue to pray daily.

Am honestly tempted to take a brutally honest approach but God has not really released me to do that. That would be better coming from a man anyway.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Even when I read the Bible I gravitate to the negative things. Scriptures about hell etc. When I'm listening the Bible I never feel the love. I feel the rules, and I get the feeling that I always need to be doing better.
This one I do understand, at least partially. I was helped by ministry that taught us to not see the Bible as a "book of rules", though there's a reason for "the rules". One of the purposes of "the rules" (and this goes back to Luther) is to make absolutely clear that we CAN'T fix ourselves. And that should drive us to Jesus, whom God sent to die for our rule-breaking.

One of the quotes that I love, and I've used it in my profile here, is this:

The only people who ever get better are those who know that if they NEVER get better, God will still love them.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I thought listening the Bible on a regular basis is supposed to renew my mind. I guess it doesn't work for me.
The LORD revealed a simple truth to me . Every warning in that bible , is meant for MY GOOD .
GOD is looking out for me and others . The flesh that desires the lusts of this life , of sin and of the world
is what sees those things as Negative .
RATHER see it through the beauty of the LORD . HE IS LOOKING OUT FOR US .
He cannot deny HIS own righteous judgments . HE KNOWS the end of sin is death .
HE knows sin will harden the heart . ALL the reminders , the dire , the grave and the promises
SHOULD BE SEEN and recieved as , GODS GREAT LOVE FOR US . HE KNOWING what is best for us .
Every warning is there as a reminder to us , just as is every promise .
The severity of GOD , the goodness of GOD , SEE IT ALL as it is , GODS GREAT LOVE for HE KNOWS how to keep us safe
GOD , His desire is that none perish . HE knows us , he knows us far better than we know ourselves .
HE warns us for our own good . He gives us promises that give us HOPE . the warnings are GOOD FOR US .
The flesh will always be contrary . WE NEED ALL HIS REMINDERS . SEE THEM ALL AS HIS GREAT LOVE FOR US .
SEE It through the lens of what its meant for . OUR GOOD . Dont see the warnings as bad , negative .
SEE THEM as GOOD . Just as the promises that give us hope are so good to be reminded of as well .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't want to read a brutally honest approach from someone that I don't know in real life. Thanks!

Women don't understand Male Problems, and Men don't understand Women problems. It's just the way life is.
Men might not understand female problems . BUT GOD knows all things . Men ought to step up
and lead the church and correct error . GOD knows ALL THINGS .
Sin and error is sin and error , whether a man does it or a woman does it . Thus men need to step up
and simply remind anyone in error , to cease the error asap . Everything should be done for the good of the church .
GOD knows how to watch over the peoples . And HE uses true lambs to watch over the flock as well .
Its true that women ought not to lead nor usurp authority over the man . But women can teach the younger women
on how to live godly and honor their husbands , and can teach the young women to do good and not to do evil .

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My negative mindset started when I was in Kindergarten, I can remember back that far. It hurts like crazy to think positively. It's like my brain was built to run in a negative way. Even when I read the Bible I gravitate to the negative things. Scriptures about hell etc. When I'm listening the Bible I never feel the love. I feel the rules, and I get the feeling that I always need to be doing better.
I'm a Christian Universalist. Which means I don't believe in hell.
This is a very freeing place to be.

I know that everyone and everything will be restored in the end. That redemption will be complete.
I can relax and let God do what he is doing with us. We are here to help one another.
I find satisfaction in that.

Go back to that childhood memory and renounce the negative mindset.
It is VERY significant that you remember that, and that you mentioned it here.

I believe that is where your healing will begin.
Renounce the lie that the enemy sold you at that impressionable age.
Repeat these words out loud to begin the process.

I renounce the lie of a negative mindset.
Dear loving heavenly Father, open my eyes to see the positive.
AMEN

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus spoke of it . ITS real . false peace is but a delusion .
My peace cometh of the LORD . THANKS TO JESUS CHRIST i wont have to face the lake of fire .
NOW THAT IS REAL PEACE . But mark my words the lake of fire is real . SO TOO is the promise
of GOD , the glorious gospel , that all who do believe in CHRIST , wont end up there . Just a wondeful home awaits the lambs .

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've been studying "Christian Universalism" because C.S. Lewis and his friends looked up to George McDonald, and He was a Christian Universalist. Also Dale Thompson of the Christian Band Bride is also a Christian Universalist. I listened to Getting To Know Jesus by George McDonald, and a several of his other books. I also learned that some of the early Church fathers were Christian Universalists. I think that is enough to take notice of it.
Good to know, thanks.
Universalism was a leading theology in the eastern/Greek church.
We got our Bible, with its Damnationist bias in translation, from the western/Latin church.
I feel that I understand it now on a surface level. But that isn't enough to convince me to put my faith in it. I don't think that all Christian Universalists are heretics.
It boils down to a question of God's character. Which is something you seem to struggle with. Fear of eternal punishment.
Did Jesus dies to save us from God? Makes no sense.
But it has been decided by just about all in the fundamental portion of Christianity that they are. I grew up in the fundamental side of Christianity and for the most part that is what I line myself with... But you can't blame me it is what I grew up in. It is very hard to let go of Childhood beliefs.
I was raised evangelical. I can empathize.

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because it is biological emotions that I never asked for, or wanted. But I try to be very very very careful about talking about this openly because it seems to trigger people, and they will write stuff that is usually completely unhelpful. I think when it comes to hard subjects, or subjects that trigger people, people need to learn how to listen more and speak less.
When you post about things you are going through, what kind of responses would you like? What responses are helpful?

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have some good news.

1 John 2:2 NIV
He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world.

Reactions: Lambano and Wynona

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't know how to explain it to you, but when someone says something helpful, I can just tell it's helpful. Usually it feels encouraging in the direction I need to go in. This rarely happens online. My life is ship wrecked, and I live on the rocks. I know because I spent years and years and years looking for answers and finding none. There is a theology that would agree with this view because God doesn't love everyone. I'm not saying that I believe that theology, but I still consider it as a possible explanation. A true 5 point Calvinist believes that Jesus only died for the elect. If your not elected then you can't get saved. That could be me, if they are correct.
"For God so loved the world"...

1 John 2:2

KJV

2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

I don't think Scripture backs up Calvinism.

My life is ship wrecked, and I live on the rocks. I know because I spent years and years and years looking for answers and finding none

Prayers, prayers, and more prayers for you.