I can't trust Christians anymore.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

drivenfuture

Jan 8, 2023
Jacksonville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, I had written this online review of a church; but never posted, It mainly helped me get my thoughts out. I've thought many times that posting it would make me feel better. I really have no idea if it would or not. But it would certainly explain a lot. I want to stress there are so many issues besides this one, but at this point I just feel abused by most Christians; and that wouldn't be a problem if the secular world were treating me the same--but they're not. they're kinder, at that for me is a huge a problem. anyways, here's the review I never posted about that church:

It's been a long time since I've been to this church. I kept trying to think of why. There were a lot of things that happened, and we both played a part. I know that my actions certainly made the situation uncomfortable, there's no denying that. But I accepted that, and apologized, and as best as I could, accepted responsibility. The problem is that the pastor and his family did not take any responsibility. The pastor said my actions have consequences, the problem is that my actions were a consequence of his family's actions.
I served this church for 5 years, maintaining close friendships with many, including the pastor's family. I felt very close to the pastor's family, until one day, completely out of the blue, the pastor's family just ignored me. No discussion, no warning, no nothing. It was 100% complete abandonment. Then, in the midst of the abandonment, the pastor's son approached me to tell me I was barely tolerable.

This would lead to my first mental breakdown (long story short - Shizophrenic Bipolar), whereby I turned myself into the police, believing I had hurt them in someway. I said some pretty alarming things, no doubt, but in all of this, my concern as that I would rather sacrifice myself than to make them uncomfortable. So really, this is the only sticking point for their argument.

After a brief stay in the mental facility, I was advised to speak to the pastor by the assistant pastor. The assistant pastor said he does not think I offended the pastor's family. The pastor said the same...sort of. He said there's no animosity, and he doesn't feel slighted. So let me ask you, if I did nothing wrong, why in the world was I banned from Bible studies? His exact words were: "I can come to Main worship and Men's Breakfast." Now, I get the fact that Bible studies are smaller and there is the sense that things would be uncomfortable, but this seemed a bit too extreme to me.
I explained to the pastor that I felt like they didn't really want me there. He said, in these exact words, "Your feelings are not my responsibility," On the contrary, when you abandon someone without a word, and insult someone, their feelings are 100% your responsibility. We have a responsibility to each other, as Christians, to love one another in deed and truth, and understanding that your abandonment and your insults are spiritual murder are absolutely your responsibility.

Not only did he say that, but he also insisted I was welcome, and that they would treat me with kindness and respect. Then I would go home to find out his entire family had blocked me all over social media, which caused a great deal of confusion in my mind. I felt like I was receiving a million mixed signals.

A few weeks before this all happened, the pastor preached a message where he said something along the lines of, "If they knew this about me, could they still love me." It is true they saw a very messed up side of me. I don't blame them for being uncomfortable. But I wanted to believe, just once, that someone could see this very dark place of me, and say that they're still going to walk with me, and walk through it. Instead, I was shunned and ostracized, and the hard part to swallow is that the ostracism started just from me being annoying, not even from the dark place I had mentioned.

The pastor said we can't control what other people do, only how we respond. I suppose there is truth there that we can't control people, but I do sort of expect better from a pastor. He then said, "If someone does not want relationship, let them go, and embrace them when they come back," and also that their boundary was "Needing the space they need to process." Well, it's been 5 years, and I have given them tons of space. So now I have to say this was the pastor filling me with false hope.

What made this even more confusing, was that the pastor's family would also, years later, like my statuses on facebook, as if everything was just fine between us. It wasn't okay, certainly not in my eyes. There were a few people who reached out and told me they heard what had happened...and it became quite apparent that the story they got was very one-sided, of course with me having been cast as crazy.

I want to stress...I had minimal issues with other church members, and I love them dearly. They are some of the friendliest church members I have ever met, and I think they were caught in between a rock and a hard place regarding this situation. I even still love the pastor's family dearly in spite of everything that happened. I want to stress that I know I'm focusing on a few very painful months, but I also knew a really great side of the pastor's family for many years before that, too. I did feel like they were dedicated to helping me grow in my faith, I felt like they gave me a place to belong, which is why what happened was even so much more devastating. I also want to stress that they do have great relationships, so maybe your relationship with them will be better.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi @drivenfuture -

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry for you troubles you have shared.

Speaking bluntly, in the situation you describe....your anguish hangs on One...
Puzzling question.....WHY.

And your anguish is stirred Because the Only one who CAN answer you....
Refuses to give you an answer.

Easier said than done....Hanging onto the wondering WHY, is an unhealthy detriment unto you. Let it go. Close that door. Bury it.
Let the Lord take you to a new door, a new group you can study with.

The title Pastor, is supposed to mean “upright”....Yet we are warned, that is not always the case. Heed the warning.

Glory to God,
Taken

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If the world loves us we are in dire trouble .
The world will always accept things about us that fit in with the world .
Christains , true ones anyway , would always correct any brother or sister in error and is walking contrary to Christ
and the sound doctrine . always remember that .
What is it that most christains attack you about . that the world does not . The thing is we need to examine
if our walk is LIKE JESUS walked . We aint GOD and we have no right , nor are we entitled to walk as we see fit .
Rather we must walk as JESUS instructed , as GOD instructed , as the prophets instructed , as the apostles instructed
and if our walk is contrary to that , WE in error and must repent .

drivenfuture

Jan 8, 2023
Jacksonville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What did they accuse you of doing .
They didn't really accuse me of anything, or at least didn't tell me what they were accusing me of. They just up and walked away. One family member told me I was barely tolerable, others just straight up stopped talking to me with no discussion. The pastor's words were very confusing, saying there's no animosity, but then his entire family would block me, He said he didn't feel slighted, but then seemed to blame me when he said I need to take responsibility for my actions (which from what I gather, his family was the one sinning here). A few years later, his wife started liking my social media posts; but I was just fed up at that point and blocked her, because nothing was ever resolved and I really just wanted to move on. But lo and behold, as much as I want to, I'm not able to. I have no idea why it's always in my head. Believe me, I want to stop thinking about it. I just can't and I don't know why.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
They didn't really accuse me of anything, or at least didn't tell me what they were accusing me of. They just up and walked away. One family member told me I was barely tolerable, others just straight up stopped talking to me with no discussion. The pastor's words were very confusing, saying there's no animosity, but then his entire family would block me, He said he didn't feel slighted, but then seemed to blame me when he said I need to take responsibility for my actions (which from what I gather, his family was the one sinning here). A few years later, his wife started liking my social media posts; but I was just fed up at that point and blocked her, because nothing was ever resolved and I really just wanted to move on. But lo and behold, as much as I want to, I'm not able to. I have no idea why it's always in my head. Believe me, I want to stop thinking about it. I just can't and I don't know why.
You can't move on probably because you have never forgiven them.

Matthew 6:15
But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.

This unforgiveness seems to be a stumbling block for many Christians.

drivenfuture

Jan 8, 2023
Jacksonville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree Christians struggle with unforgiveness, but mainly because I view forgiveness differently than most Christians. Most Christians say reconciliation is optional. I do not agree. That passage In Matthew states that if your brother has something against you, FIRST go and be reconciled. Jesus made reconciliation a higher priority than tithing. Paul later made it abundantly clear that there were to be no divisions among Christians. Now, I do want to stress, there are those outlying situations like abuse and rape, and that's different, but at the same time, you could make the case the abuser is unrepentant. But again, that is an outlying situation, and not really doesn't apply to the crux of what I'm saying.

Reactions: BeyondET

drivenfuture

Jan 8, 2023
Jacksonville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree Christians struggle with unforgiveness, but mainly because I view forgiveness differently than most Christians. Most Christians say reconciliation is optional. I do not agree. That passage In Matthew states that if your brother has something against you, FIRST go and be reconciled. Jesus made reconciliation a higher priority than tithing. Paul later made it abundantly clear that there were to be no divisions among Christians. Now, I do want to stress, there are those outlying situations like abuse and rape, and that's different, but at the same time, you could make the case the abuser is unrepentant. But again, that is an outlying situation, and not really doesn't apply to the crux of what I'm saying.
Also, I cannot fathom a God who forgives but refuses to restore relationship. That would be a cruel God who chooses who gets to be close and shuns the rest.

• Wow
Reactions: Keturah

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hi @drivenfuture, I understand your situation. People can turn away from you and shut you out with their accusations. However, it is best to hand the problems over to God to deal with, as vengeance is His and not ours to give or administer.

However, you can still bless those who have done you wrong, in your understanding, by asking God to still include them in those who He will draw to Himself. This prayer is a once only prayer as after this we need to thank God that He has hear our prayer and is working on drawing those who have offended you to Himself. Remember that God can draw people to himself, including us, but it is up to the individual to respond and accept God's terms of relationship with Him.

Jesus warned us that unless we can forgive those who have trespassed against us, then He cannot forgive us for our trespasses against Him.

Cutting people off from any interaction with us, is like burying our head in the sand. It is one way that we begin to act "God Like" that shows that we too have turned away from God.

We all need God's forgiveness for out trespasses against Him.

May you come to know God's loving embrace in your life and the peace that comes with it.

Shalom

Last edited:

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Drive,
Welcome to the forums here. Mental health is all but shunned by the "church". Many fall through the cracks and these, who need fellowship and welcoming in the family of God even more so IMHO...are left behind. That pastor was not a true shepherd IMHO. I have a story MUCH like yours but will not put it here.
I pray you will find closure and remember, even IF we do not find even one good Christian friend then, we have Jesus and people like many on here...this is now my church.
I ask God to give you peace where all this is concerned.
Again, welcome here!!

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Drivenfuture,

Welcome to CyB. You present a difficult and painful introduction. My heart goes out to you. I will respond with the truth, in love, as much as I can.

the pastor's son approached me to tell me I was barely tolerable.

This is powerful feedback. No one wants to be told that they are barely tolerable.

Notice your words. You did not say the Pastor or his son thought this. It is how you come across, as far as they experienced. You are barely tolerable. Wow! Of course, I'm reminded of Scripture. That is a mighty big plank to take out of your eye in order to see clearly.

I am so sorry for your situation.

This would lead to my first mental breakdown (long story short - Shizophrenic Bipolar),

Truth. Did that powerful feedback CAUSE your first mental breakdown, or was your mental disorder diagnosed shortly after that powerful feedback?

I dated a woman on and off for several years who was later diagnosed as bipolar. There were many times we were good together, very good together. Then there were times she became intolerable!

Years ago, I read a book. Sadly, I do not recall the name of the book but it repeatedly stressed the importance of maintaining health boundaries in relationships. Of course, one critical boundary is respect, the inverse of verbal abuse. The woman I know who was bipolar would become verbally abusive on the fly. For opposing or objecting to something she said or did was treated by her as war, a verbal fight to the death. And it was; not physical death but relationship death.

I would not be surprised if the Pastor - and his whole family - felt you violated their healthy boundary for the last time. In my case, of course we talked about it. We talked about it many, many times. Her struggle, need for counseling and even mediation does not change the basic relationship fact. Hear me well; her inability to respect the healthy boundary (of respect) does not change the healthy boundary.

We only dated. We were not married. It got to the point that I told her that if she crossed that healthy boundary again, we are through. She crossed it. The end.

But I wanted to believe, just once, that someone could see this very dark place of me, and say that they're still going to walk with me, and walk through it. Instead, I was shunned and ostracized, and the hard part to swallow is that the ostracism started just from me being annoying, not even from the dark place I had mentioned.
That someone is God through his son, Jesus Christ.

Are you able to assess the status of the counseling and medication needs for you diagnosed Schizophrenic Bipolar?

Reactions: Nancy

drivenfuture

Jan 8, 2023
Jacksonville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Drivenfuture,

Welcome to CyB. You present a difficult and painful introduction. My heart goes out to you. I will respond with the truth, in love, as much as I can.

This is powerful feedback. No one wants to be told that they are barely tolerable.

Notice your words. You did not say the Pastor or his son thought this. It is how you come across, as far as they experienced. You are barely tolerable. Wow! Of course, I'm reminded of Scripture. That is a mighty big plank to take out of your eye in order to see clearly.

I am so sorry for your situation.

Truth. Did that powerful feedback CAUSE your first mental breakdown, or was your mental disorder diagnosed shortly after that powerful feedback?

I dated a woman on and off for several years who was later diagnosed as bipolar. There were many times we were good together, very good together. Then there were times she became intolerable!

Years ago, I read a book. Sadly, I do not recall the name of the book but it repeatedly stressed the importance of maintaining health boundaries in relationships. Of course, one critical boundary is respect, the inverse of verbal abuse. The woman I know who was bipolar would become verbally abusive on the fly. For opposing or objecting to something she said or did was treated by her as war, a verbal fight to the death. And it was; not physical death but relationship death.

I would not be surprised if the Pastor - and his whole family - felt you violated their healthy boundary for the last time. In my case, of course we talked about it. We talked about it many, many times. Her struggle, need for counseling and even mediation does not change the basic relationship fact. Hear me well; her inability to respect the healthy boundary (of respect) does not change the healthy boundary.

We only dated. We were not married. It got to the point that I told her that if she crossed that healthy boundary again, we are through. She crossed it. The end.

That someone is God through his son, Jesus Christ.

Are you able to assess the status of the counseling and medication needs for you diagnosed Schizophrenic Bipolar?
So firstly, at no point did they ever discuss how they felt or explain a boundary, other than after the fact, saying they need space to process, which happened well after the damage was done. This is much different than crossing a line time and time again - that would be unrepentance, and in that case, the Bible states that person is an no better than an unbeliever.
2nd, I received treatment, got meds, got taken off meds, and have had no hallucinations or severe depression since.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
at no point did they ever discuss how they felt or explain a boundary, other than after the fact,
Some transgressions are so egregious, one time offenses are sufficient.

You seem to expect others to have a high tolerance for unacceptable behavior, a sure sign of an unhealthy boundary.

I wanted to believe, just once, that someone could see this very dark place of me, and say that they're still going to walk with me, and walk through it.
I meant to address this in my original response. Just once, you wanted someone to 'see this very dark place of me, and say that they're still going to walk with me, and walk through it, right? This means, putting aside the one Pastor and his family, no one in your entire life met your relationship expectations. Powerful confession.

The speck in your brother's eye is easy to see. Consider changing the expectation you have of yourself in relationships. There is a great quote from Mother Teresa about grace, about giving people more than they deserve. To paraphrase:

Even though people you have relationships don't deserve respect, give them respect anyway.
Even though people you have relationships don't deserve patience, be patient with them anyway.
Even though people you have relationships with are wrong, give them your understanding and compassion anyway.
Even though people you have relationships with aren't polite, be polite to them anyway.
Even though people you have relationships with don't give explanations, accept and forgive their limitations and faults anyway.
God Bless and Amen!

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can't trust denominations anymore. Before I would recommend any church I would have to know the senior pastor.

drivenfuture

Jan 8, 2023
Jacksonville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some transgressions are so egregious, one time offenses are sufficient.

You seem to expect others to have a high tolerance for unacceptable behavior, a sure sign of an unhealthy boundary.

I meant to address this in my original response. Just once, you wanted someone to 'see this very dark place of me, and say that they're still going to walk with me, and walk through it, right? This means, putting aside the one Pastor and his family, no one in your entire life met your relationship expectations. Powerful confession.

The speck in your brother's eye is easy to see. Consider changing the expectation you have of yourself in relationships. There is a great quote from Mother Teresa about grace, about giving people more than they deserve. To paraphrase:

Even though people you have relationships don't deserve respect, give them respect anyway.
Even though people you have relationships don't deserve patience, be patient with them anyway.
Even though people you have relationships with are wrong, give them your understanding and compassion anyway.
Even though people you have relationships with aren't polite, be polite to them anyway.
Even though people you have relationships with don't give explanations, accept and forgive their limitations and faults anyway.
God Bless and Amen!
So maybe i did not clarify, but the "dark place" thing did not come into play until after they had started to cut me off. They ignored and insulted me which I believe triggered the mental issues and that's when I turned myself into the police believing I had hurt them. So, their boundaries started before the dark place thing, though I'm sure my response did not help matters any.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have always thought that I have a liberal view on Orthodox Christianity and my viewpoint is that there are seven congregations...

1. Ephesus - Messianic
2. Smyrna - Martyr
3. Pergamos - Orthodox
4. Thyatira - Catholic
5. Sardis - Protestant
6. Philadelphia - Methodist - And the many subsequent denominations
7. Laodicea - Charismatic

In which... I think them all as Christian. I have wondered what to do in this Laodicean times in which I heard a prophecy that stated, "In the last days the people were going to have to, "Cut their own Paths." So... I will visit a variety of churches and have not made a decision to become a member of any one church. Not that it is a bad idea... But I believe one must fall into the issues that may be besetting a church.

BeyondET

Jul 9, 2022
Hampton Roads
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Also, I cannot fathom a God who forgives but refuses to restore relationship. That would be a cruel God who chooses who gets to be close and shuns the rest.
Yea that doesn't seem logical I'd agree, reminded of something in the bible. When Jesus ask God to forgive the people who crucified Him.

I've wondered was that request granted, or is there something more to the passage any thoughts on that?

drivenfuture

Jan 8, 2023
Jacksonville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yea that doesn't seem logical I'd agree, reminded of something in the bible. When Jesus ask God to forgive the people who crucified Him.

I've wondered was that request granted, or is there something more to the passage any thoughts

I've wondered was that request granted, or is there something more to the passage any thoughts on that?
In this case, God is still offering the reconciliation through Jesus, but it is the people refusing. So it isn't like God is forgiving without reconciliation. He is still offering both, but the people aren't willing. I must admit though, I would not be so gracious if people were attempting to murder me. But this still proves my point - there is not a single point in time after Jesus came to earth where God forgives without reconciliation, even for the most heinous of sins. And yet, I have found "mature" Christians unable to forgive or reconcile for trivial things and the smallest of sins.

Reactions: Nancy and BeyondET