I.N.R.I.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The multiple problems with your suggestion, from someone who believes that Jesus himself is Yahweh.

It simply doesn’t work, as this writer concedes.

I’m glad you brought this up. It was a valuable contribution to the discussion of the inscriptions.
But then "Houston"....we have a problem.

Someone took a good sum of money in paper space and Ink to tell about the priests having a fit about the Charges written above his head on the sign....and Pilate's usual indifference and exasperation towards the Jewish leaders. (Love this guy, he never changes character with them like when telling them to seal the tomb)

Not one extra "skip over" part exists in scriptures. EVERY SINGLE WORD was chosen with extreme care and is of extreme value.

And what you (and this author you cite) have no explanation for is this "extra bit" placed in scriptures. Why else would the priests have a fuss about what was written?

Now as far as the different gospels saying something different was written....that's explainable by the different people reading different languages. That's all there.

So....once you explain the insurmountable hill of the priests complaining existing in scripture....I might listen.
Especially in light of 2Timothy 3:16. (All scripture is God breathed)

Then you have to explain away Zechariah 12...
Then you have to explain how Jesus is not God....
And then you have to somehow prove that even if Jesus is not God that somehow you are actually a Christisn.

The hill of proof required by you to prove your dismissal of my point is getting mighty steep.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
But then "Houston"....we have a problem.

Someone took a good sum of money in paper space and Ink to tell about the priests having a fit about the Charges written above his head on the sign....and Pilate's usual indifference and exasperation towards the Jewish leaders. (Love this guy, he never changes character with them like when telling them to seal the tomb)

Not one extra "skip over" part exists in scriptures. EVERY SINGLE WORD was chosen with extreme care and is of extreme value.

And what you (and this author you cite) have no explanation for is this "extra bit" placed in scriptures. Why else would the priests have a fuss about what was written?

Now as far as the different gospels saying something different was written....that's explainable by the different people reading different languages. That's all there.

So....once you explain the insurmountable hill of the priests complaining existing in scripture....I might listen.
Especially in light of 2Timothy 3:16. (All scripture is God breathed)

Then you have to explain away Zechariah 12...
Then you have to explain how Jesus is not God....
And then you have to somehow prove that even if Jesus is not God that somehow you are actually a Christisn.

The hill of proof required by you to prove your dismissal of my point is getting mighty steep.

No one is explaining away anything, least of all the trinitarian writer who believes that Jesus, literally, is Yahweh.

You want to see something there and you do. The trinitarian writer is correct. There is nothing about what you’re seeing in the inscriptions that is - to use the writers well-chosen word - fruitful; it’s fanciful.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I.N.R.I. (Latin inscription initials) = Y.N.M.Y. (Hebrew inscription initials)

The tetragrammton isn’t contained in the Hebrew, in the Latin or in the Greek inscriptions that Pilate had written and placed above Jesus. Neither is it contained in English translation, nor in any other language translation.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The tetragrammton isn’t contained in the Hebrew, in the Latin or in the Greek inscriptions that Pilate had written and placed above Jesus. Neither is it contained in English translation, nor in any other language translation.
That's an erroneous opinion that violates God's word, makes light of scripture, and removes the diety of Christ. Which means that you are not in the "Christian club" just like the LGBTQ are not "members" of the Kingdom.

Because unless Jesus is God...you have nothing to worship. God is at least a trinity. Probably more, but people already have issues understanding the Trinity.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
That's an erroneous opinion that violates God's word, makes light of scripture, and removes the diety of Christ. Which means that you are not in the "Christian club" just like the LGBTQ are not "members" of the Kingdom.

Because unless Jesus is God...you have nothing to worship. God is at least a trinity. Probably more, but people already have issues understanding the Trinity.

I’m discussing the inscriptions on the placard. You’re discussing something which Christianity Board policy has long said now cannot be discussed on Christianity Board.

While you were away I consulted a variety of commentaries in search of your suggestion about what was written on the placard.

Forward, backward, upside down -> the teragrammton isn’t found, even anachronistically, in the inscriptions. Interested readers should check it for themselves in the language(s) of their choosing.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’m discussing the inscriptions on the placard. You’re discussing something which Christianity Board policy has long said now cannot be discussed on Christianity Board.

While you were away I consulted a variety of commentaries in search of your suggestion about what was written on the placard.

Forward, backward, upside down -> the teragrammton isn’t found, even anachronistically, in the inscriptions. Interested readers should check it for themselves in the language(s) of their choosing.
I already posted what and how it was written....
I even drew you a picture....

You refuse to believe a LOT of things.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I already posted what and how it was written....
I even drew you a picture....

You refuse to believe a LOT of things.

Thanks. I’m a Berean. I checked it out thoroughly and encourage others to do the same.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
My five-year-old grandson is attending a private school where Latin and Hebrew are taught to all students. I asked a school administrator why they didn’t also teach Hebrew. The administrator acknowledged that Hebrew is a biblical language, then added that the school is focused on providing a classical Christian education; pointing out that Latin and Greek are the classical languages of the Church.

1715732099447.png

The school he is enrolled in begins teaching them to all students in elementary school and continues through high school. The curriculum is mandatory.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks. I’m a Berean. I checked it out thoroughly and encourage others to do the same.
No you are NOT a Berean.
You have looked with the preconceived notions and then use scissors to remove any part you don't like and use glue to add wording that doesn't exist.

I seriously wonder why you are here since you do not believe the divinity of Jesus.

That's most certainly NOT a mainstream belief.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
No you are NOT a Berean.
You have looked with the preconceived notions and then use scissors to remove any part you don't like and use glue to add wording that doesn't exist.

I haven’t removed or added anything.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I haven’t removed or added anything.
Yes you did. You removed the priests complaining about the Charges written....the the multiple times Jesus and others said He was God....then scissors on the Old Testament scriptures that say it was going to be God coming to save mankind...

Shall I continue?

You have removed half of the scriptures (at a minimum ) to prove your theology.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Yes you did. You removed the priests complaining about the Charges written....the the multiple times Jesus and others said He was God....then scissors on the Old Testament scriptures that say it was going to be God coming to save mankind...

Shall I continue?

You have removed half of the scriptures (at a minimum ) to prove your theology.

The topic of this thread is the inscriptions that were written on the placard placed above the head of the crucified Messiah. I’m not addressing my theology or yours.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The topic of this thread is the inscriptions that were written on the placard placed above the head of the crucified Messiah. I’m not addressing my theology or yours.
Yes you are when you use scissors on scriptures that are proving my point.
And there are several.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
1715738822272.jpeg

In some artistic representations of the crucifixion of Jesus of Nazareth we find another inscription -> SPQR.

A new Christian (or even an old Christian, or a non-Christian) might wonder what it stands for.

SPQR stands for a Latin phrase not found in the Bible: Senatus Populusque Romanus, meaning: “The Senate and the people of Rome”.

The artist is conveying to us that the crucifixion was carried out under the legal authority of the government of the Roman Empire.