I need to get closer to god

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

PlanetJeff

Sep 23, 2007
Allright now I have a problem and I'm hoping this forum can help me get on the right track but anyway here's my story. I have been to church many times, I have been baptized and I have prayed to god many times and I want to sunday school when I was a little kid for about a year. slowly became more and more distant from god a big part of it had to do with my parent's not taking me to church anymore because of family problem's. When I turned 12 or 13 I started to becoming depressed a lot and having anger issues, and I was convinced by my brother that there is no god. But now I'm 18 and I feel more depressed than ever and I read Brian Welch's story Save Me From Myself because he had severe depression and anger and he accepted god into his life and that helped him quit drug's and alcohol and live a normal happy life. I want to accept god into my life I have thought about commiting suicide a few times and I need strength to get past these tough times. I believe in god now and nothing could ever change my mind about that, but my question is, how do I accept Jesus and have him live through me? I want to be close to god.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(PlanetJeff)
Allright now I have a problem and I'm hoping this forum can help me get on the right track but anyway here's my story. I have been to church many times, I have been baptized and I have prayed to god many times and I want to sunday school when I was a little kid for about a year. slowly became more and more distant from god a big part of it had to do with my parent's not taking me to church anymore because of family problem's. When I turned 12 or 13 I started to becoming depressed a lot and having anger issues, and I was convinced by my brother that there is no god. But now I'm 18 and I feel more depressed than ever and I read Brian Welch's story Save Me From Myself because he had severe depression and anger and he accepted god into his life and that helped him quit drug's and alcohol and live a normal happy life. I want to accept god into my life I have thought about commiting suicide a few times and I need strength to get past these tough times. I believe in god now and nothing could ever change my mind about that, but my question is, how do I accept Jesus and have him live through me? I want to be close to god.
Dear Jeff, to accept Christ into your heart, you must repent and ask Him to be your Saviour...and let Him take over your life instead of our own fleshly desire. Better yet, this scriptures says something better than I.Revelation 3:20 - Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.John 14:6 - Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.Concerning your brother which I had highlighted in the quote...Psalm 14:1 - The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.We all need our Saviour if we wish to please Him...we won't be perfect, but we need it to survive. We need the truth.Much love, Jag.Lovest thou in Christ Yahshua our Lord and Saviour.

elmo

Sep 19, 2007
God's grace is sufficient to satisfy all our needs.repent, and get into the bible because God has made many promises for usbut it is up to us to claim his promises and there is no problem too big for God.my goes out to you and please give God a chance to heal your internal wounds.God loves you and wants you to submit yourself to him and by that (as I have realized for myself) I mean to put down your will and be patient as I am for God to make his will known to you.May God Bless you and keep you...and remember, you are not alone...talk to God throught prayer and reading his word and you will feel God's presence like a mighty rushing wind and then happiness will surround you on all sides.but don't get me wrong, satan will always tempt you on earth, but if you have the bible (our sword) and the holyspirit, and never lose faith in Christ he can do nothing to stop you from your reward, which is heaven

PlanetJeff

Sep 23, 2007
I have a hard time praying because I just dont know what to say, I havent prayed for years and when I try I just ask for forgiveness and for him to live through me. I dont know what to say, I need help with praying.

elmo

Sep 19, 2007
we should let the holyspirit intercede for us when we pray because he knows our needs and when we speak from the spirit we speak the truest prayer that can be long but as Jesus told his deciples..."be not like the pharasees, who like to pray in pubic...they have received their reward...but pray in private so that God who sees you in private will bless you...be not like the pharasees in that they love long prayers...they have their reward...so if you really can't do that look up something in psalms, or even the lord's prayer...anything to get you to speak in the spirit.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
Matthew 10:19-20 - But when they deliver you up, take no thought how or what ye shall speak: for it shall be given you in that same hour what ye shall speak. For it is not ye that speak, but the Spirit of your Father which speaketh in you.Much love, JagLovest ye in Christ Yahshua our Lord and Saviour.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
(PlanetJeff;19128)
I have a hard time praying because I just dont know what to say, I havent prayed for years and when I try I just ask for forgiveness and for him to live through me. I dont know what to say, I need help with praying.
This is one of the biggest misconceptions about God! You dont need speacial prayers or certain words HE IS YOUR FATHER HE LOVES YOU. talk to him like your friend pour out your heart to him. He wants your love not scripted prayers, how can you love him if you cant talk to him as your father, your friend. Repenting means confessing your sins to him apologizing for trying to do things your way instead of his. He wants the same kind of heart felt remorse you would want from a friend that wronged you. It must be real but he doesnt care how you say it.praying for you

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
Hello Jeff, and welcome to the forums, here.I concur with Kriss. I know. What you are experiencing regarding a relationship with God I've been there and done that at your age about 30 years ago. As you mature (and in the faith as well), it does get better. Fears you once had are forgotten. I know that seems unreal, but it is true. Nobody had greater fears than I did.But let me give you a clue---- it matters not what you say, just believe in Jesus. When people are not sure they are saved, or "how to go about it" regarding a relationship with the Lord, what the real issue is that they secretly think that God does not know what they think as if one has to shout a 1000 times to get His attention, and even then, may not know our true feelings and faith unless we "tell Him". Well, nothing could be further from the truth. When we first come to Christ, that is a tangible step for ourselves where we made a public confession so that we have a starting point so-to-speak. From God's vantage point, you are already there by virtue of the desire you have. A fleshy person does not feel drawn to God. As Jesus said, All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out. (John 6:37)If you have a desire to come, then you were called and are His sheep. In addition, the bible teaches we were chosen in Him before the foundation of the world. thus Paul says, "If God be for us, who can be against us?"Being born again has parallels in natural family life. Two parents (analogues to God) decide to have a child. They decided that the child would be born, not the child. However, once a child is born (similar to born again), do you know of too many people who do not want to live? We all desire happiness. That desire is analogues to "accepting Christ" and proclaiming your faith and putting your faith in Him.I'll keep you in my prayers, but start reading your bible (probably again since you mentioned you once went to church) and learn God's Word.

PlanetJeff

Sep 23, 2007
Thank you all for your help, I really appreciate it.
smile.gif

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
You're so quite welcome Jeff. I'm really glad that we can help you.Much love, JagLovest ye in Christ Yahshua our Lord and Saviour.
smile.gif

Nova

Sep 20, 2007
Jeff, you've gotten good advice. Trust me. If you cry out for help, God hears you. Regarding prayer, just tell Him what you have told us. No special words are required. Just a earnest desire to turn away from your sins. Throw yourself on God's mercy. He will hear you. See your own inadequacy & ask Jesus to be your Lord.