I think forgiveness is friend with sparing the rod.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

judd

Apr 2, 2010
Nigeria
To me, forgiveness is about forgiving those who offend or break law. The bible also talks about sparing the rod and spoiling the child.

what should I do to a disobedient child? should i keep on forgiving him ( sparing the rod )?

And how should I apply the word "forgiveness" in various aspect of my life?

I think forgiveness will lead to greater disobedience.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Forgiveness is the highest form of love. We are called to forgive everyone.

Sparing the rod means holding back disciple - it is actually an unloving gesture. Children need to be disciplined.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, the phrase is "spare the rod, spoil the child". That isn't in the Bible, but Proverbs 22:6 is. Forgive the child, but don't turn a blind eye and don't spare punishment.

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
Forgiveness is not for the offender. Forgiveness is for the "victim".

It's for our health that we forgive. It's for our peace that we forgive. The definition is simple, "To give up the WILL to punish".

Spare the rod and spoil the child. This is true. But, people often don't understand discipline and equate discipline with punishment. We can see this in the prisons. We want the wrong doers to be punished. Punishment leads to no good end. (although there are theories of learning through pain association, but that's a whole other topic).

If my kids do something wrong I discipline them. I don't punish them. The fact isn't to make them pay for their mistake. My intentions are to teach them and instruct them in order to help them grow and learn. If my kids do something wrong they may get grounded or scolded. I may be angry, or sad or whatever emotion is naturally involved. I don't hold a grudge against them and keep making them pay for their mistake over and over. After the disciplinary action we go right back to our normal relationship and hold no grudges.

Revenge is something that us humans use to make ourselves feel better. It doesn't teach the offending party to do better. Although a quick punch to the throat might make them leave us alone for a while. It doesn't change what happened. It doesn't teach them anything about what they did. It just makes us feel better at the moment. Then later, we refuse to forgive, and we carry all that stress around with us and it grows and festers in other ways.

So, forgiveness is for us. Go ahead and be selfish! Think about YOU when it comes to forgiveness. Just as you're only thinking about YOU when someone does wrong.

Reactions: Angelina

judd

Apr 2, 2010
Nigeria
wow, thanks guys. i luv your replies and am getting new ideas and freeing my mind from what i thought was sin.
most times i think that am unmerciful when i spank my younger siblings when they do wrong.

THE Gypsy

Jul 27, 2011
Earth
To me, forgiveness is about forgiving those who offend or break law. The bible also talks about sparing the rod and spoiling the child.

what should I do to a disobedient child? should i keep on forgiving him ( sparing the rod )?

And how should I apply the word "forgiveness" in various aspect of my life?

I think forgiveness will lead to greater disobedience.

This is some twisted logic.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
wow, thanks guys. i luv your replies and am getting new ideas and freeing my mind from what i thought was sin.
most times i think that am unmerciful when i spank my younger siblings when they do wrong.

Why aren't your parent disciplining your younger siblings? :huh: Caution is necessary with discipling children as there is a fine line between discipline and child abuse. Even parents can go overboard... it is important that Christian parents do not disciple their children when they are angry or are not in control of their emotions.

PS: I say this because I come from a country with a high rate of child deaths mostly due to child abuse. There has been a rise in agencies popping up recently that assist families with new arrivals. Their presence is voluntary for now but statistics show that they are much needed in a society where young people are having children and are not mature enough to cope with all the responsibilities that come with bringing up children.

Blessings!!!