If God's Soldier's Grow Old, Do they Become Legends?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I am a little sad... :unsure: I was chatting to a lovely elderly Christian gentleman in hospital today. He does not remember me but he has had a significant impact on my Christian walk. After spending 40 years in the mission field and being the first white missionary to Papua New Guinea, he had come home to basically retire and help out in his local Church. He has shared so many awesome stories about his exploits for God and as a new believer [or should I say, a new church adherent] many years ago, he taught me so many things and answered all my "newbie, difficult questions" like the dedicated and patient Christian mentor that he was.

God has an incredible way of placing mighty men and women of God in our lives to help us grow and equip us for the ministry...and this is certainly one of them. "Thank you Lord."

I can remember a very special conversation we had... when I once asked why some people believed that were predestined when I had always understood that we come to Jesus based on our own free will after hearing and believing his word and receiving him as Lord by grace through faith?
He did not have the answer and agreed that it needed to go into his "Too hard" basket until he could ask God himself when he got to heaven.

Then he explained it like this; "Just imagine now, that you were in front of the pearly gates and were just about to enter into Heaven. Imagine that there was a sign over the gate that read..."All who "will" may enter in by faith in Jesus." Then as you pass through those gates...another sign on the side says, "Predestined from the foundation of the world." That answer satisfied me completely! ^_^

Now I am looking at a very frail, elderly gentleman in palliative care with Dementia and Alzheimer's who is waiting to go home. He cannot remember me or how much of a blessing he has been, not only in my life but also many uncountable others. Now it is my turn to take care of him.

My question? Why does God not take him home [and others like him] rather than having to endure a few possible years with this progressively debilitating disease. Have they not fought the good fight of faith? Have they not finished the race? :huh:

daq

HSN#1851
Feb 9, 2013
Olam Haba
Perhaps he has simply entered into his cocoon-like tomb, (it is sealed with seven seals). But the Master has the key to the door of his tomb, (yea, even the keys to the tomb of every man). One day soon the stone will roll away from the door of his tomb and the brilliant white Light of Messiah will completely fill the chamber; at that time a neaniskos young man with a shimmering white stole will exit the tomb with Messiah for the final journey home. Only the eyes washed in the Spirit will see it when it happens. :)

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
hey daq,
I believe I may have found the answer in your reply...in a roundabout way! ;)
Thank you.

John S.
I don't think that killing him or assisting in suicide is the real answer since the Lord is the giver and taker of life. Why though, does he not just take them home after their "tour of duty" if you will. Why do they have to suffer just a little more????? :unsure:

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Think of this as your opportunity to repay him for his kindness over the years, in the same spirit as this verse 1 Timothy 5:4.
Are you not blessed by God when you're a blessing to others? Even in his debilitated state he continues to be a blessing to you, though indirectly now.

That said, I hope this horrible disease is cured. It is merely allowed by God as it has found a niche in his plan; we could do without it.

Reactions: Angelina

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Thank you for quietening my spirit with your words lforrest. Well said. I have an unction, a revelation from God that I am taking care of his tent while he drifts in and out. I recognize by the Spirit, when he is at home and when he is not.

I hope this horrible disease is cured. It is merely allowed by God as it has found a niche in his plan; we could do without it.
I am so interested in this area...and I do believe that there is a way of dealing with this cognitively degenerative disease...I think that the answer may lie in the families hereditary line. :huh:

Bless you!