If Jesus didn’t know the hour doesn’t that mean that he isn’t god?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He even said His Father is greater than He is. But that don't mean that Jesus is not God either. That was Jesus walking out His message of, Be Humble and take the servants position, wash his feet! It's a Father-Son thing. Are we subserviant to our Dads on earth? Yes, I was and he was greater than me because I was the son. But I, as Family had the entire support of the entire family unit (except for squabbles with my brothers, lol) at the worst of times and in the best of times. Family is Family.

For all practical purposes literally and figuretively, Jesus is very much God because He is the only begotten Son of the Father God. When you mess with a man's family, you're messing with the entire Family.

You notice that Biker gang kids dont get picked on in school? Thats because they know that they might have 100 family members show up and beat their head in!

The larger issue imo is that...is Jesus YOUR Lord.

I don't mean is He your Savior...is He your Lord?

Jesus Before the Sanhedrin
The final result of Yeshua revealing who He was….
Finally two came forward and declared, “This fellow said, ‘I am able to destroy the temple of God and rebuild it in three days.’” Then the high priest stood up and said to Jesus, “Are you not going to answer? What is this testimony that these men are bringing against you?” But Jesus remained silent. The high priest said to him, “I charge you under oath by the living God: Tell us if you are the Messiah, the Son of God.” “You have said so,” Jesus replied. “But I say to all of you: From now on you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven.” Then the high priest tore his clothes and said, “He has spoken blasphemy! Why do we need any more witnesses? Look, now you have heard the blasphemy. What do you think?” “He is worthy of death,” they answered. Then they spit in his face and struck him with their fists. Others slapped him and said, “Prophesy to us, Messiah. Who hit you?”
Matthew 26:60-68

Yeshua kept silent about who He was because if He said it to the Jews this is what would happen….the end of His ministry and a ruling of execution because that is what their beliefs told them to do. In their beliefs for someone to say they were a God or the Son of God was one of their worst blasphemies.

The Jews did not believe that the Messiah would be a God. They believed He would be a human warlord king that would destroy their oppressors and establish a kingdom that would last forever and put them in power and the Mosaic Law would be the rule of the land forever.

The Jews were behind the eight ball because nothing like this happened. So what Yeshua was and what He did was nothing like what they were expecting from the Messiah. They were not expecting a God Messiah that was peaceful and preaching love and forgiveness. They were looking for a warlord…..not the Lord.

In fact the Jews were looking at some of their Jewish military leaders during the Maccabean Revolt as possible Messiahs.

When Yeshua would heal people sometimes He would tell them to keep it a secret. It is one of the reasons that some scholars call Yeshua the Secret Messiah.

But Peter knew…
“Christ” said to them, “But who do you say that I am?” Simon Peter answered, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 15:15-16 Keep in mind that Christ means Messiah….it is not His last name.

Nor did Christ make a big deal of He being a King because that would have sparked a Roman response.

Last edited:

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
He even said His Father is greater than He is. But that don't mean that Jesus is not God
Yes it does. You cannot be almighty God if there is someone greater than you.

Are we subserviant to our Dads on earth? Yes, I was and he was greater than me because I was the son. But I, as Family had the entire support of the entire family unit (except for squabbles with my brothers, lol) at the worst of times and in the best of times. Family is Family.
But you are not your father. Likewise Jesus was/is not his father - his father is almighty God. Jesus prayed to God, saying, John 17 (WEB):

(1) Jesus said these things, and lifting up his eyes to heaven, he said, “Father, the time has come. Glorify your Son, that your Son may also glorify you;​
(2) even as you gave him authority over all flesh, so he will give eternal life to all whom you have given him.​
(3) This is eternal life, that they should know you, the only true God, and him whom you sent, Jesus Christ.​
(24) Father, I desire that they also whom you have given me be with me where I am, that they may see my glory, which you have given me, for you loved me before the foundation of the world.
(25) Righteous Father, the world hasn’t known you, but I knew you; and these knew that you sent me.​
(26) I made known to them your name, and will make it known; that the love with which you loved me may be in them, and I in them.”​

Jim C

Sep 5, 2023
Lynnwood
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He even said His Father is greater than He is. But that don't mean that Jesus is not God either. That was Jesus walking out His message of, Be Humble and take the servants position, wash his feet! It's a Father-Son thing. Are we subserviant to our Dads on earth? Yes, I was and he was greater than me because I was the son. But I, as Family had the entire support of the entire family unit (except for squabbles with my brothers, lol) at the worst of times and in the best of times. Family is Family.

For all practical purposes literally and figuretively, Jesus is very much God because He is the only begotten Son of the Father God. When you mess with a man's family, you're messing with the entire Family.

You notice that Biker gang kids dont get picked on in school? Thats because they know that they might have 100 family members show up and beat their head in!

The larger issue imo is that...is Jesus YOUR Lord.

I don't mean is He your Savior...is He your Lord?
Jesus is my Lord.
I love Him.
I obey Him.
I serve Him.
I worship Him.

That is all.

Reactions: MA2444

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

If Jesus didn’t know the hour doesn’t that mean that he isn’t god?​

If one doesn't grasp advanced mathematics does that mean it isn't arithmetic?

MA2444

Jan 9, 2024
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

If Jesus didn’t know the hour doesn’t that mean that he isn’t god?​

If one doesn't grasp advanced mathematics does that mean it isn't arithmetic?

Not at all. I see the problem with this question is is it's been asked from the perspective of the scientific method...

The scientific method is good in that it searches for the truth. But the scientific method usually does not recognize that there are other methods for seeking truth. The truth. Higher truths than the scientific method can prove. This other method is called (Gasp!) the spiritual method. ...and it's easy as Pi' Lol.

But even many christians don't know about it. Oh they've heard about it but...are scared of it most times? Not a lot of christians even like to talk about it much. Because it's 'spooky' and they've heard some bad stories of people getting into trouble (Acts 19:13-16) and besides, I think thats some new age stuff, right? So they don't approach Him in spirit. We have the promise of the Holy Spirit to lead us into all truth...(and in Greek, "all" means "all" ) ! So why dont any christians know how to, cast out demons?

No one talks about doing that. Has anyone here ever cast out an evil spirit? I havent. I can hear the still small voice of God though, within me. But none of this can be accomplished by the scientific method or arithmitic. Well....maybe Jesus has a form of advanced mathmatics that he can show it on paper? But I as of yet dont grasp advanced math that well yet, lol. (to put it mildly). I can count money good and that's about it. I dont even know algabra, lol. But I know how to listen to the Holy Spirit. It's very easy and always always means I just agree with my conscience because it is the same voice. So the question is, is Jesus somehow not God because He dont know the date of the rapture?

I just sat down my pen & paper and I walk inward into myself and focus on the Holy Spirit. Here I am Lord...And, boom, I got it. When Jesus was born, His name was Emmanuel, which means God with us. So the answer is yes, Jesus is God. See? No calculator or nothing!

I think pray unceasingly means to stay inside of yourself in the presence of your Lord...you can let your subconscious drive you to work and work at it while you stay there focused upon that Spirit of the Lord, the Spirit of Jesus. It's like you make a throne room in your heart for the Lord and meet Him there. He isnt going to let you crash your truck if you're in front of Him! A Father wont give His son a serpent when he asks for a fish!

See, that's what happened to Peter when he began to sink in the water. He came out of his throne room long enough to see the wind and the waves and got scared, and suddenly he wasnt walking on water any more! Help! By remaining focused before the Lord we wont sink, and He talks to us ans teaches us things, truths...and says things that we dont like and didnt want to do! (to me at least!) But I have to obey, so here I am. I may not get the math of it but I know it's true! (I bet there will be a lot of math in Heaven)

The time is here to worship Him in Spirit and in Truth.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If Jesus was God, how could he die?

If Jesus was God, why didn’t he know when he would come again?

If Jesus was God, why did he need the Holy Spirit to descend on him at baptism?

There exists an infinite number of questions of this form: If Jesus was God, why/how …?

All of them could be answered by saying that in addition to Jesus was God, he was also a human when he was born from Mary.

Philippians 2:

Colossians 2:

If Jesus was fully God, how could he have emptied himself?

The devil tried a similar trick in Mat 4:5b: “If you are the Son of God, throw yourself down." Jesus was the Son of God. Throwing himself down was no proof that he was the Son of God.

Conversely, if Jesus was a man, how/why …?

Now, we need to remind ourselves that he was God too.

This whole issue is a divine personal mystery beyond First-Order Logical explanation.
I believe the Lord was playing a role: He was setting an example for us.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God supposedly knows everything. The only general summary Yeshua gave was within a generation, but the day or hour he did not know, and it was for His Father to appoint that time…

I believe that time was when Yahavah revealed his foreword message in revealing what Yeshua had not know prior with the summation of what was know by the Father, he opens by the use of John, to be coming back swiftly, with no gap or delay in Revelation.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If Jesus was God, how could he die?

If Jesus was God, why didn’t he know when he would come again?

If Jesus was God, why did he need the Holy Spirit to descend on him at baptism?

There exists an infinite number of questions of this form: If Jesus was God, why/how …?

All of them could be answered by saying that in addition to Jesus was God, he was also a human when he was born from Mary.

Philippians 2:

Colossians 2:

If Jesus was fully God, how could he have emptied himself?

The devil tried a similar trick in Mat 4:5b: “If you are the Son of God, throw yourself down." Jesus was the Son of God. Throwing himself down was no proof that he was the Son of God.

Conversely, if Jesus was a man, how/why …?

Now, we need to remind ourselves that he was God too.

This whole issue is a divine personal mystery beyond First-Order Logical explanation.
I could answer any one of those questions, but I will address the one question:
Why didn't he know the day of the hour of His return?
It was their custom, that the Bride nor the Groom did not know the hour or day of marriage, only the father!

A Galilean Marriage 2000 years ago …

Jesus and His disciples were from Galilee. Their customs concerning marriage were quite unique. His parables and literal teachings about His Second Coming and marriage were designed to imitate an event that they were all familiar with, MARRIAGE, which involved a year-long sequence of events.

The Bride; the Parable of the Ten Virgins, some being prepared for the wedding and some not; the Groom coming “at an hour you do not expect”, “as a thief in the night”; that “only the Father knows the day and the hour”; that it will happen at night; “the trumpet will sound an alarm” and the bride is lifted up and carried away to the Father’s house, all were shadows and symbolic of Jesus Second Coming for the Church.

The Galilean Marriage begins with the Groom leaving his father’s home going to the home of the Bride. His father officiates the betrothal with the terms and dowry (price and down payment). Terms of the marriage were read publically and agreed upon. Gifts are given to the bride. A “cup of joy’ (wine) is shared and given to the Bride, who has a choice to accept it or reject it. She says yes, The wine is drunk and the covenant is irrevocable.

1 year betrothal agreement, a cup of wine shared and the groom promises not to drink of the wine until the marriage is consummated.

During this time, Bride and bridesmaids choose clothing and make dresses. This usually took months.

The Groom builds or buys and prepares a new home for the bride and feast.

Close to the time, within a week of the estimated year timeframe, but without a specific date, the bride and bridesmaids would wait in their clothes day and night for the Shofar to sound. Neither the groom nor the bride would know the exact date, only the father.

In the middle of the night, the father would decide and notify the son to go get his bride!

The Groom would sound the Shofar, walk through the streets towards his bride’s home and all the guests that were waiting for that day, ready to go, join them in the procession and/or meet at the Father’s house. Everyone needed to be ready, dressed and have enough oil for their lamps.

The Bride would hear the Shofar from a distance and go out and meet the groom and the bridesmaids nearby as well. The Bride would be placed in a seat, two men would lift her up in the air and carry her off to the wedding chamber in the Father’s house. *It was a chair on a stretcher like platform with two poles on each side.

The procession would enter into the Father’s house and the door was shut – no late comers allowed! The wedding and reception could last up to seven days.

Symbolism:

The groom leaves his father’s house and goes to where the bride is = Jesus comes from heaven to earth and becomes flesh and dwells among us.

Father = Father God

Betrothal period = Jesus First Coming, His New Covenant given, the Gospel goes out to the world

Cup of wine given to the Bride, a choice given = Cup at Last Supper representing New Covenant, the gospel is given to all and we have the choice to accept it or reject it

Once the Bride drinks the cup, the covenant is irrevocable = Once we have received Christ as our Lord and Savior, we believe and follow Him, our covenant with God is irrevocable, OSAS.

The Groom now states to the betrothed Bride, “You are now consecrated to me by the law of Moses and I will not drink this cup again with you until we drink it together in my father’s house” = Jesus likewise made the same claim during the Last Supper (Luke 22:18)

Dowry, down payment = Death (His payment) and resurrection of Christ , the belief in this grants us the Promise of Eternal Life

Groom’s preparation for the Bride’s home = “In my Father’s house there are many dwelling places, if it were not so, I would have told you. If I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself, that where I am, there you may be also.” John 14:2-3

The Groom does not know the day or hour of the wedding! = “But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father alone.” Matthew 24:36

Bride and bridesmaids needed to have lamps and oil = The Ten Virgins , but only half were prepared = represents the Bride/Church, prepared, they have their oil (Holy spirit) for their lamps. The others (Jews at that time or later, as unbelieving Gentiles did not have the Holy Spirit and so were not allowed into the kingdom of heaven.

The Father tells the son, “go get your Bride”, the Groom blows the trumpet to announce his coming, receives his bride , she is lifted up and carried off to the wedding chamber = “For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive and remain will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we shall always be with the Lord”. 1 Thes. 4 :16-17

The Bride enters the wedding chamber and sees guests waiting = these are Old Testament saints in Heaven

Wedding Feast = Marriage Supper (Rev.19:7-9)