If you take your own life, would you be condemned?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Some would. Some would not. Your eternal destination does not depend on an act of suicide. You will inherit eternal life iff you are born of the Spirit.

Exodus 20:

13 “You shall not murder.
I'd interpret this as including "You shall not murder/kill yourself." Accordingly, suicide is a sin.

There are seven suicides in the Bible.

The most famous one is Judas Iscariot, Matt. 27:

5 [Judas] cast down the pieces of silver in the temple, and departed, and went and hanged himself.
Jesus commented in Matthew 26:

24 The Son of Man will go just as it is written about him. But woe to that man who betrays the Son of Man! It would be better for him if he had not been born.
Likely, Judas would not inherit eternal life.

King Saul apparently killed himself in 1 Sam. 31:

4 Saul took a sword and fell on it
Saul wasn't a favorite of God, 1 Samuel 15:

11 “I regret that I have made Saul king, because he has turned away from me and has not carried out my instructions.”
King Saul probably would not inherit eternal life.

Judges 9:

54 [Abimelech] called hastily unto the young man his armor-bearer, and said unto him, Draw thy sword, and slay me, that men say not of me, A woman slew him. And his young man thrust him through, and he died
Around the time of Saul's death, 1 Sam 31:

5 When [Saul's] armor-bearer saw that Saul was dead, he fell likewise upon his sword and died.
To me, this armor-bearer died an honorable death. God might give him eternal life.

Samson sacrificed himself in order to kill his enemies, Judges 16:

30 And Samson said, Let me die with the Philistines. And he bowed with all his might; and the house fell...upon all the people that were therein.
This is the so-called Samson's option (同歸於盡), a kind of perish-together strategy. Samson was a mighty prophet. He would likely inherit eternal life.

Ahithophel couldn't handle rejection, 2 Sam. 17:

23 When Ahithophel saw that his counsel was not followed, he...got him home to his house, to his city, and put his house in order, and hanged himself, and died
To me, he was a wimp. John wasn't so nice about them, Revelation 21:

8 But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—they will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death.”
Commander Omri rebelled against King Zimri, 1 Kings 16:

18 It came to pass, when Zimri saw that the city was taken, that he went into the palace of the king's house, and burnt the king's house over him with fire, and died 19 because of the sins he had committed, doing evil in the eyes of the Lord and following the ways of Jeroboam and committing the same sin Jeroboam had caused Israel to commit.
Omri is another wimp committing suicide. He is not likely to inherit eternal life.

The favorable suicides were Samson's sacrifice and the honorable death of King Saul's armor-bearer.

What happens to Christians who commit suicide?

If you have the Paraclete Spirit dwelling in you, you are not likely to kill yourself, except in extreme circumstances. When you live, you are not living for yourself but living for God. It is better to glorify God at the moment of our death.

Reactions: ScottA and marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your eternal destination does not depend on an act of suicide.
I'm of the opinion that those who believe that our actions affect our reconciliation to God, and risk spiritual death for those born again, fail to appreciate how we are reconciled to God by what Jesus did, not be what we do, and fail to appreciate that the life we have in Christ, is His life shared with us, not something we ourselves possess, of ourselves, under our control.

We cannot stop having been born from our human parents, and in the same way we cannot stop having been born from God.

Much love!

Reactions: ChristisGod

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.

When I myself recognized I was in that very place where some willingly put on that faulty parachute, I cried out to God not knowing He even existed--and He answered!

I told Him "--No, I'm not going to do it! If you want my life--take it--you can have it!" And He did.

So, what, was I saved because I was stubborn or stronger than others, or perhaps the bigger chicken hoping for another way out? Perhaps, but no, I was just finished. Indeed--that is a conversation to have with God. I'm so glad I did! I'm so glad He's actually there to hear our cries!

So cry then...but leave life and death to God--take it to Him, that is His business, not ours.

Last edited:

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was once in a conversation on my mail route with an elderly man (in his upper 80's) who attends the Worldwide Church of God (Armstrongism) who told me that when this country falls and persecution of Christians begins that he and his wife will commit double suicide and he said they are both too old to suffer horribly and there is nothing in the Bible against killing yourself. o_O

Last edited:

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was once in a conversation on my mail route with an elderly man (in his upper 80's) who attends the Worldwide Church of God (Armstrongism) who told me that when this country falls and persecution of Christians begins that he and his wife will commit double suicide and he said they are told old to suffer and there is nothing in the Bible against killing yourself. o_O
Something else might indeed be at work . I want you to ponder on this my friend .
I have noticed this uptick in talk about suicide and ending ones life within some churches .
THEN i remembered , EUTHENASIA and the goal of a govt gone wrong . THEY might just
be inflitrating within to change our minds so that we more readily will embrace THIS EUTHENASIA stuff .
and much more too . Giving the idea bout elderly suffering and perhaps its better to END THEIR LIFE .
I DO NOT LIKE this talk about suicide one bit . GOD giveth life and HE taketh life
Not man . I never once heard this kind of talk in any letter ever written to any church in that bible .
I KNOW THIS WICKED SOCIAL GOSPEL JUNK and the goals of their COMMO mindset . WE ought not to buy into this once .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was once in a conversation on my mail route with an elderly man (in his upper 80's) who attends the Worldwide Church of God (Armstrongism) who told me that when this country falls and persecution of Christians begins that he and his wife will commit double suicide and he said they are both too old to suffer horribly and there is nothing in the Bible against killing yourself. o_O

Except that a Christian is no longer their own...which makes it murder, or worse, crucifixion.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some would. Some would not. Your eternal destination does not depend on an act of suicide. You will inherit eternal life iff you are born of the Spirit.
I agree. Suicide does not determine one's eternal fate. Your relationship with God, or not, does.

I had a Christian brother and friend who committed suicide, and I've had others who have contemplated suicide. I've even been there myself. We go through some very heavy times as human beings, and as Christians. Nothing suggests that any sin necessarily leads to eternal death on its own.

It is wicked deeds coupled together with rejection of Christ that damns us. Christians and others who commit suicide do not necessarily kill themselves out of hostility towards God, but often out of dejection and the intense pressure in their lives that cause them to lose hope in overcoming their trials. We should have compassion on them for the circumstances that they had to endure, rather than judge them as cold-blood killers.

We should always try to discourage someone from following through on their suicidal thoughts. God can lead them out of their despair if they follow Him. But I'll never minimize the level of despair. It can be positively overwhelming!

Reactions: Lambano

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've known at least 4 people who've taken that exit. Two had some form of mental illness, and the other two were depressed over their life circumstances. All of them were church members and knew about Jesus. I hope God will have mercy on their troubled souls.

Reactions: TonyChanYT

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To the title of the OP
Except that a Christian is no longer their own...which makes it murder, or worse, crucifixion.

Jeremiah 29:11 - For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.

Romans 8:28 - And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to HIS PURPOSE.

Psalms 27:14 - Wait on the Lord: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD.

1 Corinthians 6:19-20 NIV
19 Do you not know that your bodies are the temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God ? You are NOT your own; 20 you were bought at a price.Therefore honor God with your bodies .

Ecclesiastes 7:17-Be not over much wicked, neither be thou foolish: why shoulder thou die before they time ?

Psalms 34:17-20 - The righteous cry, and the LORD heareth,and delivereth them out of all their troubles.

1 Corinthians 6:20 - For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which ARE GOD'S .

1 Corinthians 3:17 - If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.

2 Corinthians 12:9- And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness

1 Corinthians 10:13 - There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

James 4:7-10 -
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

Romans 12:1
1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present YOUR BODIES as a LIVING sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

Ephesians 2:10
10 For we are HIS workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Hebrews 2:14
14 Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might DESTROY him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;

Many suffer depression, thoughts of worthlessness, being a burden to someone else, ect. We must draw close to God, rely on his strength,and not trust in our feelings & emotions. If the God we serve is not greater, then we have no hope.

I agree with Scott, it is murder. We are the temple of the Holy Spirit, trust him and there will be no condemnation.