Ignorance and Damnation

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

HelloSomeone

Apr 17, 2016
I'm interested in the Christian view of how the ignorant are judged.

I have three points that come to mind when considering the possibilies.

Ignorance and Knowledge are equally dismisable. Only actions and intentions can be judged. (Any teaching that provides rounded lessons of right and wrong on an interpersonal level are equally effective)

Ignorance is dismisable until knowledge is presented. (knowledge of faith can be damning)

Ignorance is not dismisable and only knowledge can bring salvation. (Predisposed damnation)

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
HelloSomeone said:
Ignorance and Knowledge are equally dismisable. Only actions and intentions can be judged. (Any teaching that provides rounded lessons of right and wrong on an interpersonal level are equally effective)
Ignorance is dismisable until knowledge is presented. (knowledge of faith can be damning)
Ignorance is not dismisable and only knowledge can bring salvation. (Predisposed damnation)
1 John 5:16-20 deals with that.

ScaliaFan

Apr 2, 2016
HelloSomeone said:

well, i can't really u/stand your post so the only thing i can comment on is ignorance

There is a psg in the Bible (and then there is also my own common sense aside from that psg) that says that one will pay for sins done in ignorance just as souls will suffer for those not done in ignorance, but the person who is ignorant will just suffer LESS (in Purgatory) than the one who knew better

I am tryng to think of the wording of that psg so i can look it up

then there is this: "To whom more is given, more is rquired"

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
...following a Jewish carpenter...
HelloSomeone said:

Luk 12:47 And that servant, which knew his lord's will, and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes.
Luk 12:48 But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
...following a Jewish carpenter...
ScaliaFan said:
well, i can't really u/stand your post so the only thing i can comment on is ignorance

There is a psg in the Bible (and then there is also my own common sense aside from that psg) that says that one will pay for sins done in ignorance just as souls will suffer for those not done in ignorance, but the person who is ignorant will just suffer LESS (in Purgatory) than the one who knew better

You beat me to it... :D

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
ScaliaFan said:
Purgatory is not taught in the Bible. That is a RCC tradition. You may be thinking of 1 Cor 3:10-13, where Paul deals with works of the flesh as opposed to works of the spirit. What you are referring to in your last quote here is Luke 12:47-48. Paul confirmed in the former scripture what Jesus, taught in the latter.

HelloSomeone

Apr 17, 2016
The Barrd said:
Luk 12:47 And that servant, which knew his lord's will, and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes.
Luk 12:48 But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more.

HelloSomeone

Apr 17, 2016
This is the scenario I have the most difficulty grasping.

Person A, ignorant infraction = x punishment

Person B, infraction with imparted knowledge from random individual who they have no reason to trust = x(x) punishment

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
HelloSomeone said:
This is the scenario I have the most difficulty grasping.
Person A ignorant infraction = x punishment
Person B with imparted knowledge from random individual who they have no reason to trust = x(x) punishment
Person A does not exist as a Christian. The reason the New Covenant exists is because God has written his laws on our hearts and we may unintentionally sin by offending someone but normally that's not out of ignorance but simply out of selfishness. As long as we agree and recognize it when the Holy Spirit deals with it in our lives then it is accounted for and forgiving. If we do not then we are not forgiven. This does not equal punishment. Punishment is reserved for those who have never confessed Jesus or have fallen back into apostasy.

HelloSomeone

Apr 17, 2016
StanJ said:
Person A does not exist as a Christian. The reason the New Covenant exists is because God has written his laws on our hearts and we may unintentionally sin by offending someone but normally that's not out of ignorance but simply out of selfishness. As long as we agree and recognize it when the Holy Spirit deals with it in our lives then it is accounted for and forgiving. If we do not then we are not forgiven. This does not equal punishment. Punishment is reserved for those who have never confessed Jesus or have fallen back into apostasy.