ILLUMINATION OF THE BIBLE BY THE SPIRIT WHO INSPIRED THE BIBLE

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
ILLUMINATION OF THE BIBLE
BY THE SPIRIT WHO INSPIRED THE BIBLE

THE BIBLE & ILLUMINATION – To illuminate means to have something brightened with light and made clear to the eyes. Figuratively, illumination can mean to be be enlightened spiritually. Simply put, illumination in the spiritual sense is “turning on the light.” The Source of spiritual illumination is the Father, the Channel is the Holy Spirit and the supreme Goal is that He shine "in our hearts to give the Light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ." (2Cor 4:6+) While some might say this is a bit too mystical, it is thoroughly Biblical. Indeed, illumination is something we should pray for even as Paul prayed for the saints at Ephesus asking that “the eyes of (their) heart (the core of one's being) be enlightened, so that (they) may know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints and what is the surpassing (Gk - exceedingly extraordinary) greatness of His power (dunamis - inherent supernatural power to to live a supernatural life = “Resurrection power” - Eph 1:20+) toward us who believe.” (Eph 1:18-19+) Paul was not praying for new revelation, but for spiritual illumination of truth they already knew. And that is our desperate need, every time we open the Book we should beg God: “Open my eyes that I may behold wonderful things from Your Law." (Ps 119:18+). As D L Moody said, Spirit led “study of God’s Word brings peace to the heart. In it, we find a light for every darkness, life in death, the promise of our Lord’s return, and the assurance of everlasting glory.” This begs a question - Every time you open the Book, do you ask the Author of the Book to open your heart to receive the truth from His Book? If you do, you can rest assured that with God's Word as your map and His Spirit as your compass, you are sure to stay on course. "Oh, that Thy words, like the beams of the sun, may enter through the window of my understanding, and dispel the darkness of my mind!" (Spurgeon)

I scanned the Scriptures thoughtlessly—
My haste had closed my ear;
Then prayerfully I read once more—
This time my heart could hear.
--Gustafson

The Scriptures teach that the Holy Spirit and the Holy Word operate together. As Puritan Stephen Charnock wrote "The Word is the chariot of the Spirit, the Spirit the Guider of the Word." Jesus promised His disciples that “when the Spirit of truth comes, He will guide you into all the truth.” (Jn 16:13) Hallelujah, He has come and now indwells all His children, Paul explaining that “if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Him.” (Ro 8:9+) Paul also taught that "the natural (unregenerate) man cannot accept the things of the Spirit of God; for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised." (1Cor 2:14+) In contrast believers have received "the Spirit Who is from God, that we may understand what God has freely given us." (1Cor 2:12+)

John wrote that we "have an anointing from the Holy One" (1Jn 2:20+), going on to explain that "the anointing which you received from Him abides in you (the indwelling Spirit 1Cor 6:19), and you have no need for anyone to teach you." (1Jn 2:27+) John is not saying we don't need teachers (Eph 4:11+; Acts 13:1+), but wants us to understand that each believer is capable and responsible to study the Word for themselves, because the Spirit Who inspired the Scriptures, has anointed and indwelt every believer. As Alexander Maclaren said "He who has the Holy Spirit in his heart and the Scriptures in his hands has all he needs." O blessed holy book, the Bible, for there is no other book wherein the Author Who wrote it is always present with you, ever ready to explain what He wrote! Spurgeon agrees that "If you do not understand a book by a departed writer you are unable to ask him his meaning, but the Spirit, Who inspired Holy Scripture, lives forever, and He delights to open the Word to those who seek His instruction.”

It is better to live one verse of the Bible,
than to recite an entire chapter.
- Jesus in John 13:17

Spurgeon reminds us that "God, by His Spirit, brings old truth home to the heart, gives new light to our eyes, and causes the Word to exercise new power over us." Warren Wiersbe adds that "Illumination is the work of the Holy Spirit, and we must depend on Him to teach us new truths and to remind us of truths we may have forgotten (Jn 14:26b). When (we are) “in the Spirit,” (see locative of sphere, see Praying in the Spirit) (Rev 1:10+) the Word comes forth with power and penetration. We experience what the little girl in London meant when she said to her mother, “Mother, is Mr. Spurgeon speaking to me?” (Of course he was speaking to the entire congregation, but she perceived his words were personally for her. So too with the blessed Holy Spirit!) We have an idiom that says "don't take it personally"! Au contraire, we should take it personally when it is the Word spoken by God! The Word becomes personal....The blessing doesn’t come because we hear the Word; it comes because we do the Word (Lk 8:21+). Anything else is pure deception. (Jas 1:22+)" Indeed, it is better to live one verse of the Bible, than to recite an entire chapter. As Jesus taught “If you know these things, you are blessed if you do them.” (Jn 13:17)

When the Spirit of God hovers
and the Word of God speaks,
order comes out of chaos.
-Tony Evans on Ge 1:2+

Order or Chaos? - Tony Evans observes that "In revelation, God discloses His truth. Through inspiration, He sees that it is recorded for us. And by the illumination of His Spirit, He enables us to understand and apply it. When you get all of this working in your life, you’re going to grow as a follower of Christ! (1Pe 2:2+, 2Pe 3:18+) In Genesis 1:2+ the Spirit hovered over “the surface of the waters.” In Genesis 1:3+ God said, “Let there be light.” Light was not present until the Spirit of God hovered. Why is that important? When the Spirit of God hovers and the Word of God speaks, order comes out of chaos. That’s what happened in creation. The earth was “formless and void” before the Spirit and the light came (Ge 1:2+).

Does your life ever feel formless and void? Ever feel empty, chaotic in your life? Guess how you move from chaos to order? You do so when the holy Word is mixed with the hovering Spirit. That’s not just reading your Bible. That’s asking God to illumine what you read and submitting your heart to it. Then God's Spirit brings order out of chaos." (See his discussion of "The Concept of Illumination" in his book What Matters Most: Four Absolute Necessities in Following Christ - also read the section on Illumination in Evans' book The Wonder of the Word: Hearing the Voice of God in Scripture)

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa

THE BIBLE & ILLUMINATION – To illuminate means to have something brightened with light and made clear to the eyes. Figuratively, illumination can mean to be be enlightened spiritually. Simply put, illumination in the spiritual sense is “turning on the light.” The Source of spiritual illumination is the Father, the Channel is the Holy Spirit and the supreme Goal is that He shine "in our hearts to give the Light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ." (2Cor 4:6+) While some might say this is a bit too mystical, it is thoroughly Biblical. Indeed, illumination is something we should pray for even as Paul prayed for the saints at Ephesus asking that “the eyes of (their) heart (the core of one's being) be enlightened, so that (they) may know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints and what is the surpassing (Gk - exceedingly extraordinary) greatness of His power (dunamis - inherent supernatural power to to live a supernatural life = “Resurrection power” - Eph 1:20+) toward us who believe.” (Eph 1:18-19+) Paul was not praying for new revelation, but for spiritual illumination of truth they already knew. And that is our desperate need, every time we open the Book we should beg God: “Open my eyes that I may behold wonderful things from Your Law." (Ps 119:18+). As D L Moody said, Spirit led “study of God’s Word brings peace to the heart. In it, we find a light for every darkness, life in death, the promise of our Lord’s return, and the assurance of everlasting glory.” This begs a question - Every time you open the Book, do you ask the Author of the Book to open your heart to receive the truth from His Book? If you do, you can rest assured that with God's Word as your map and His Spirit as your compass, you are sure to stay on course. "Oh, that Thy words, like the beams of the sun, may enter through the window of my understanding, and dispel the darkness of my mind!" (Spurgeon)

--Gustafson

The Scriptures teach that the Holy Spirit and the Holy Word operate together. As Puritan Stephen Charnock wrote "The Word is the chariot of the Spirit, the Spirit the Guider of the Word." Jesus promised His disciples that “when the Spirit of truth comes, He will guide you into all the truth.” (Jn 16:13) Hallelujah, He has come and now indwells all His children, Paul explaining that “if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Him.” (Ro 8:9+) Paul also taught that "the natural (unregenerate) man cannot accept the things of the Spirit of God; for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised." (1Cor 2:14+) In contrast believers have received "the Spirit Who is from God, that we may understand what God has freely given us." (1Cor 2:12+)

John wrote that we "have an anointing from the Holy One" (1Jn 2:20+), going on to explain that "the anointing which you received from Him abides in you (the indwelling Spirit 1Cor 6:19), and you have no need for anyone to teach you." (1Jn 2:27+) John is not saying we don't need teachers (Eph 4:11+; Acts 13:1+), but wants us to understand that each believer is capable and responsible to study the Word for themselves, because the Spirit Who inspired the Scriptures, has anointed and indwelt every believer. As Alexander Maclaren said "He who has the Holy Spirit in his heart and the Scriptures in his hands has all he needs." O blessed holy book, the Bible, for there is no other book wherein the Author Who wrote it is always present with you, ever ready to explain what He wrote! Spurgeon agrees that "If you do not understand a book by a departed writer you are unable to ask him his meaning, but the Spirit, Who inspired Holy Scripture, lives forever, and He delights to open the Word to those who seek His instruction.”

Spurgeon reminds us that "God, by His Spirit, brings old truth home to the heart, gives new light to our eyes, and causes the Word to exercise new power over us." Warren Wiersbe adds that "Illumination is the work of the Holy Spirit, and we must depend on Him to teach us new truths and to remind us of truths we may have forgotten (Jn 14:26b). When (we are) “in the Spirit,” (see locative of sphere, see Praying in the Spirit) (Rev 1:10+) the Word comes forth with power and penetration. We experience what the little girl in London meant when she said to her mother, “Mother, is Mr. Spurgeon speaking to me?” (Of course he was speaking to the entire congregation, but she perceived his words were personally for her. So too with the blessed Holy Spirit!) We have an idiom that says "don't take it personally"! Au contraire, we should take it personally when it is the Word spoken by God! The Word becomes personal....The blessing doesn’t come because we hear the Word; it comes because we do the Word (Lk 8:21+). Anything else is pure deception. (Jas 1:22+)" Indeed, it is better to live one verse of the Bible, than to recite an entire chapter. As Jesus taught “If you know these things, you are blessed if you do them.” (Jn 13:17)

Order or Chaos? - Tony Evans observes that "In revelation, God discloses His truth. Through inspiration, He sees that it is recorded for us. And by the illumination of His Spirit, He enables us to understand and apply it. When you get all of this working in your life, you’re going to grow as a follower of Christ! (1Pe 2:2+, 2Pe 3:18+) In Genesis 1:2+ the Spirit hovered over “the surface of the waters.” In Genesis 1:3+ God said, “Let there be light.” Light was not present until the Spirit of God hovered. Why is that important? When the Spirit of God hovers and the Word of God speaks, order comes out of chaos. That’s what happened in creation. The earth was “formless and void” before the Spirit and the light came (Ge 1:2+).

Does your life ever feel formless and void? Ever feel empty, chaotic in your life? Guess how you move from chaos to order? You do so when the holy Word is mixed with the hovering Spirit. That’s not just reading your Bible. That’s asking God to illumine what you read and submitting your heart to it. Then God's Spirit brings order out of chaos." (See his discussion of "The Concept of Illumination" in his book What Matters Most: Four Absolute Necessities in Following Christ - also read the section on Illumination in Evans' book The Wonder of the Word: Hearing the Voice of God in Scripture)

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

--Gustafson

If by all this you are suggesting that there is some hidden truth to be "illumined" underneath what is written- the answer is a resounding NO<NO<NO! The illumination of Scripture simply means that the truths the flesh rejects, will be enlightened in our hearts and we will accept them.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
If by all this you are suggesting that there is some hidden truth to be "illumined" underneath what is written- the answer is a resounding NO<NO<NO! The illumination of Scripture simply means that the truths the flesh rejects, will be enlightened in our hearts and we will accept them.
No hidden truth, the Holy Spirit illuminates.

Eph 1:15 Wherefore I also, after I heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus, and love unto all the saints,
Eph 1:16 Cease not to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers;
Eph 1:17 That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:
Eph 1:18 The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,
Eph 1:19 And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,
Eph 1:20 Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places,
Eph 1:21 Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come:
Eph 1:22 And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church,
Eph 1:23 Which is his body, the fulness of him that filleth all in all.

We can't, all agree, there is always disagreement.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

--Gustafson

True. The Spirit of truth guides into all truth of Scripture.

The same One who wrote Scripture by the prophets and apostles, can reveal the truth of all Scripture to any honest believer.

He does so, by showing how Scripture interprets itself and proves the doctrine of Christ.

An illumination or revelation, that is not clearly confirmed by Scripture, is only our own personal interpretation and prophecy of Scripture, which is fine, but not to be taken as authority of God, unless Scripture does come to prove it as true. There's no harm nor foul in making leaps of imagination about certain things of God, so long as we don't then try to teach it with authority of the prophets and apostles, unless we can show they agree.

However, if our illumination is plainly contradicting by any Scripture, then if we go on to teach that as doctrine of God, then we transform ourselves, as Paul warns, into false prophets, apostles, and teachers of another gospel, that is cursed.

Such examples are Gnosticism, Arianism, a created christ, and another testament of Mormonism. Mariology too. I'm sure there are others, since there have been many antichrist departing from the apostles' doctrine of Christ, and teaching their own corrupt brand of Christianity.

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

--Gustafson

The Scriptures teach that the Holy Spirit and the Holy Word operate together. As Puritan Stephen Charnock wrote "The Word is the chariot of the Spirit, the Spirit the Guider of the Word." Jesus promised His disciples that “when the Spirit of truth comes, He will guide you into all the truth.” (Jn 16:13)
The Spirit descended upon the whole Church at Pentecost 40 days after the Ascension. It does not mean each individual can make up their own truth apart from the institutional Church, whom John was writing to.

Reactions: Philip James

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Spirit descended upon the whole Church at Pentecost 40 days after the Ascension. It does not mean each individual can make up their own truth apart from the institutional Church, whom John was writing to.
I agree. The Spirit of truth guides us into all truth of Scripture, that is written to all of God's people.

He does not guide anyone into 'new truth', that Scripture does not confirm.

There is a person on this site, who even posted a thread on some new 'revelation' he is supposed to have for the church.

Rubbish.

However, the point is good, that no member of the body of Christ must accept institutional teachings and traditions, just at the word of men, which is what destroyed the Jews' faith at the time of Jesus' coming to them on earth.

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Although most people's Bibles are translated into a language that they can
read, its messages are sometimes a mite cryptic. For example in the sixth
chapter of John's gospel when discussing his flesh and blood, Jesus said:

"The words I have spoken to you are spirit"

Well; I have yet to either encounter, or be told, of someone clever enough to
construct a machine for decoding spirit words.
_

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

_
What words did Jesus just finish saying? What words did Peter say about Jesus' words? It is impossible to grasp the entire discourse in John 6 without sanctifying grace, and it's not by a machine. That's why you reject the Real Presence of Jesus in the Eucharist. You arrogantly reject the grace that God has offered you.

"Now as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and blessed, and broke it, and gave it to the disciples and said, 'Take, eat; this is my body.' And he took a cup, and when he had given thanks he gave it to them, saying, 'Drink of it, all of you; for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.'" (Matthew 26:26-28)

Jesus didn't "spiritualize" bread and wine, He consecrated real physical earthly bread and wine.

"Symbols" can't be poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.

The simplest way to express what Christ asks us to believe about the Real Presence is that the Eucharist is really He. The Real Presence is the real Jesus. We are to believe that the Eucharist began in the womb of the Virgin Mary; that the flesh which the Son of God received from His Mother at the Incarnation is the same flesh into which He changed bread at the Last Supper; that the blood He received from His Mother is the same blood into which He changed wine at the Last Supper. Had she not given Him His flesh and blood there could not be a Eucharist.

We are to believe that the Eucharist is Jesus Christ - simply, without qualification. It is God become man in the fullness of His divine nature, in the fullness of His human nature, in the fullness of His body and soul, in the fullness of everything that makes Jesus Jesus. He is in the Eucharist with His human mind and will united with the Divinity, with His hands and feet, His face and features, with His eyes and lips and ears and nostrils, with His affections and emotions and, with emphasis, with His living, pulsating, physical Sacred Heart. That is what our Catholic Faith demands of us that we believe. If we believe this, we are Catholic. If we do not, we are not, no matter what people may think we are.

Last edited:

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

_
His words are spirit and life.

All words of men are spirit, because man is a spiritual being, created in God's image to understand spiritual things, and speak and do them.

However, not all men's thoughts and intents are spirit and life, but are spirit and death.

That is why we need to be born again of the Spirit of God, so that His Spirit of truth can guide us into all truth, to do good, and not be decieved into the lies of the spirit of this world, to do evil.

Spiritual things are not hard to understand, but it's impossible to receive and do them, when a man doesn't want to:

But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

Scripture calls decoding spiritual things, revelation of Scripture.