Importance of Prayer

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

beforHim

Jun 18, 2007
Getting a job is useful. it's important. It's necessary. It's good. Same with passing college classes. Another example (a little different): getting married is good, and we really want it. Companionship is really sought after, it's helpful, it's just a good thing.So...I've been trying to compile a list of reasons why it's, say, useful, helpful, beneficial, important, necessary, needed, etc. to pray (amongst other things). I do youth and college ministry, and when we make to much of spiritual disciplines, people think we're being pharisees- and maybe we are, but I'm trying to stop, which is why I'm asking for advice here. Anyway...Here's some things I came up with.- Trains you to think only about what's most important in life.- Trains you to focus your love on God alone.- Gets your mind of less important things- Trains your mind to think nonsinfully/unsinful.- Helps you formulate clear and concise thoughts of God and for God.- Prayer should act as a filter- what are things you pray about most often with the most resolve in all seriousness without any breach of conscience: those are probably the most important things in life.But even these answers probably seem to "churchy", to much like Sunday School answers, for youth and college kids. And I'm missing the relationship aspect- i don't really know how to say it apart from the whole marriage analogy. And of course, if you're of my persuasion and think prayer really does change things, then you've got a REAL conundrum, because then you've got the whole "so many prayers [seem to] go unanswered".What I want is for people to not just see prayer as a good thing, or as a necessary means- I want them to see it as actually important enough that they can't go a day without doing it, like eating. Or a moment without doing it, like breathing. College kids wouldn't miss a test, or an important job interview, or call off a date at the last minute with a "very important someone". It's even harder to make parallels for youth, because to them, so many things are just not important, not necessary.To make a long story short, how can I show prayer to be (for lack of a better phrase) of infinite importance? Maybe some of you guys could help me word my thoughts better as well.

gumby

May 29, 2009
Well its a two way street freind, a lot of people that are questioning gods motive and reason for there prayers not being answered are the same people who havnt taken the time to talk with god and read the bible cover to cover. God expects work from us and then our prayers will be answered if we pull our half of the load. The main thing though is just be honest and open and dont put on a show for man. Let other christians openly know if need be that your not trying to please man that your doing the will of god.

Mighty Bear

Oct 20, 2007
I don't pray anymore nowadays I just trust God 100% no matter what happens.Romans 8:26 ESV Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words.Prayer could mean many things, music could be a form of prayer. To simply think about God is a form of prayer.

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good topic.I like all the reasons you gave for prayer -thank you.

Redeemed22

Nov 10, 2009
Citizen of Heaven
Mighty Bear;73220]I don said:
For we do not know what to pray for[/B] as we ought' date=' but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words.Prayer could mean many things, music could be a form of prayer. To simply think about God is a form of prayer.[/QUOTE']wwwwwaait wwwwawhaaaWHAT?!?1 Thessalonians 5:17. God commands us to pray [many places in scripture]. To trust God is to obey God. To cease praying is to disobey God, and to not trust God. [you can take "pray without ceasing" literally to mean never ever cease OR to merely mean we should habitually and persistantly [not literally 24/7] pray, and either way my point still holds.].I agree, you can pray through music. Meditation about God (not the mind emptying Eastern-religion sort of "Meditation") is highly intertwined with prayer. Psalm 119 is a great example.The fact that the Spirit intercedes for us doesn't nulify our need to pray. It is just highlighting that sometimes we pray for the wrong things. Sometimes we don't even apreciate how much we need prayer!Jesus prayed, all the time. Jesus trusted in God 100% of the time, no matter what happened. Prayer is not weakness! Prayer is not trusting God less. Improper "prayer", such as treating God as a vending machine, is obviously not what we are talking about here.To add some reasons to the list:Why pray?God tells us to. Open rebelion to God is sin and is destructive.God tells us to. God is really wise.God tells us to. God wants to talk to us.Jesus prayed.Mighty Bear, your words shocked me. Perhaps I misunderstood what you meant.-Redeemed22

Jimmy Engle

Jun 17, 2009
New York
I just wanted to add that whatever you do tell these kids you should make sure to mention the importance to perseverance in prayer. If you ask God for something and it doesn't happen right away then don't stop praying. You have to be patient. I read many stories where it took years before God finally answered a person's prayer. But it was only because that person kept asking God. Then there is just the case where God knows what is best for you so for your own good he won't do anything. It can be hard to know what God wants for you to do or what road to pick but through prayer and faith he will guide a person's life and show them the way he has laid out for them.

Not-Home-Yet

Nov 24, 2009
Prayer is a wonderful thing it brings us closer to our Lord and maker.... Prayer is not just getting on your knee's to prayer but can be done anywhere at any time of the day or night.... It should become as easy as breathing although I am not there quite yet... I know that God is working on me he has not finished what he started in me..... Prayer can also be just as easy as reading and meditating on God's word because it is through God's word that we learn to pray ..... Some times God may not answer our prayers because we ask for the wrong reasons...Or its for our own good...or the times is not right.... But we must remember that He may just say No because he loves us and He has something better up a head just waiting for us......love Jane

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not-Home-Yet said:
Prayer is a wonderful thing it brings us closer to our Lord and maker....

I have not "prayed" in days. I don't know why!!
I read constantly about my Lord - I listen constantly around the clock to bible teachings - I talk about God all the time to everyone figuring out how I can slip something in - I listen to only Christian Contemp music. My focus is centered 90% of the day and night on God. If I wake in the middle of the night I have control of my thoughts to immediately think of the Lord -how He is all around me and in me - protecting me -how He never sleeps and is waiting for me to be with Him when I get up ---how I could go on...

But, I have only been speaking to my Almighty Father sporadically through out the day - as I drive or wash the dishes. Yes, I have been very active lately - but boy, do I EVER feel the difference that I have not put time aside lately to talk to Him for an extended amount of special time put aside just for Him.

It has been like I've been shopping for my baby, reading how to feed my baby, reading the best way to teach my baby, been talking about my baby to my friends,but...I've been so busy with that - that I haven't been picking up my baby to feel him and have him feel me loving him "personally".

(Doesn't mean I haven't been focusing my life around my baby or that I don't love him or that he is not the center of my life!)

But what a difference it is to "do" things for and learn things about my baby.
And just holding my baby, period.

Thanks for listening to my confession - time to get back to my special time with God - talking to Him and thanking Him and Being Still with Him and Delighting in Him.
Thanks for the opportunity to fess up and get on track.

:) Miss Hepburn

Jimmy Engle

Jun 17, 2009
New York
Miss Hepburn said:
Not-Home-Yet said:
Prayer is a wonderful thing it brings us closer to our Lord and maker....

I have not "prayed" in days. I don't know why!!
I read constantly about my Lord - I listen constantly around the clock to bible teachings - I talk about God all the time to everyone figuring out how I can slip something in - I listen to only Christian Contemp music. My focus is centered 90% of the day and night on God. If I wake in the middle of the night I have control of my thoughts to immediately think of the Lord -how He is all around me and in me - protecting me -how He never sleeps and is waiting for me to be with Him when I get up ---how I could go on...

But, I have only been speaking to my Almighty Father sporadically through out the day - as I drive or wash the dishes. Yes, I have been very active lately - but boy, do I EVER feel the difference that I have not put time aside lately to talk to Him for an extended amount of special time put aside just for Him.

It has been like I've been shopping for my baby, reading how to feed my baby, reading the best way to teach my baby, been talking about my baby to my friends,but...I've been so busy with that - that I haven't been picking up my baby to feel him and have him feel me loving him "personally".

(Doesn't mean I haven't been focusing my life around my baby or that I don't love him or that he is not the center of my life!)

But what a difference it is to "do" things for and learn things about my baby.
And just holding my baby, period.

Thanks for listening to my confession - time to get back to my special time with God - talking to Him and thanking Him and Being Still with Him and Delighting in Him.
Thanks for the opportunity to fess up and get on track.

:) Miss Hepburn
What you have said is good. You show repentance of your lack of prayer which is a wonderful sign and I pray that we will all grow in our prayer lives and have communion with the Lord!!! I recently haven't been praying much at all so I know what you are saying Miss Hepburn. I praise God that he is good and faithful and that he is so so patient with us! If it wasn't for His grace we would have no hope.

Father, I pray to you at this present time that you would teach us all to pray. Teach us and show us through your word and I pray that the Holy Spirit will intercede for us. Draw closer to us all so we may rejoice in the relationship we have, the tremendous privilege of being able to have communion with you through your Son. In Jesus name I pray, Amen.