Importantly Defining the Holy Spirit

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My spiritual lineage...

1. Some family members wonderfully Methodist
2. Brought up Baptist
3. Spirit filled Pentecostal Holiness

Noting from the Apostle Paul...

Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles? Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?- 1 Corinthians 12:29-30

Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues. - 1 Corinthians 14:39

My old Pentecostal Holiness pastor was an old evangelist turned pastor. He really knew how to get wonderful evangelist for revival. One summer day as a teenager I was reading Nikki Cruze's Run Baby Run after a wonderful revival and I heard a voice speaking to the heart..."Put the book down" Not realizing what was happening I continued to read. I was sleeping next to an open outside door and the kady-dids were singing their praises to God very loudly. The voice spoke again... "Put the book down!" I then put the book down and heard the voice speak yet again... "Where is all the strife, hatred, and bad feelings?" I examined the heart to find nothing there but pure beauty. I thought to myself, "Oh my! I got exactly what those people got!"

But.... I never did speak in tongues. I have been in services where people have spoke in tongues and I believed their experience as legitimate. However with many it is a social standing. Someone will encourage them to speak and they will utter something to the effect of "Ba ba ba... Da da da" And then someone will encourage them... "You got it mate!" And they will go the rest of their lives believing they had been "Saved, Sanctified, and Filled with the Holy Ghost!" In which, showing the fruit of fine people, I would not doubt the experience. But point out the fruit of their daily lives much more important than any so-called "prayer language."

I think it important to correctly define the Holy Spirit as something much more than a prayer language. And it is important to let spiritual fruit illuminate and warm the heart with a ministry that will bring love and light to a darkened world. And to put all of this in form of song...

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello,
John 16:13 - However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come. He will glorify Me, for He will take of what is Mine and declare it to you.

Just remember the Holy Spirit Glorifies Jesus.

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello devin553344,

Yes, the fruit of the Spirit Glorifies Christ. We glorify Christ in > love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,

1 Corinthians 10:31-32 -Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello devin553344,

Yes, the fruit of the Spirit Glorifies Christ. We glorify Christ in > love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,

1 Corinthians 10:31-32 -Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God
I have also found that God can bless us with the fruits as well. I often feel love and peace from the God.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John Wesley was almost in despair after a disasterous trip to America and loosing his dad. He did not have the faith to continue to preach. When death stared him in the face, he was fearful and found little comfort in his religion. To Peter Böhler, a Moravian friend, he confessed his growing misery and decision to give up the ministry. Böhler counseled otherwise. "Preach faith till you have it," he advised. "And then because you have it, you will preach faith." On May 24th, 1738 he opened his Bible at about five in the morning and came across these words, "There are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises, even that ye should partakers of the divine nature." He read similar words in other places. That evening he reluctantly attended a meeting in Aldersgate. Someone read from Luther's Preface to the Epistle to Romans. About 8:45 p.m. "while he was describing the change which God works in the heart through faith in Christ, I felt my heart strangely warmed. I felt I did trust in Christ, Christ alone for salvation; and an assurance was given me that He had taken away my sins, even mine, and saved me from the law of sin and death."

The heart strangely warmed… Which can be the beginning of wonderful things!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello,

I personally believe there are some things that are not part of our community anymore, such as speaking in tongues (except for those who are actually able to learn other languages and speak to others in their same language )- though with what happened in Acts, is profound because all of a sudden those who were given the spirit started speaking tongues.

A language of another that they did not speak before.

Another way to look at it is when you speak to another believer, you will tend to speak to them differently than you would, a non-believer - but the non-believer needs to be lead and shared the gospel and decide for themselves if they will believe or not; of course you treat them in love by the spirit.

I do not see anyone having the authority to really judge people based on the merits of the spirit.

As all that is known by the spirit is founded with-in the Bible.

Galatians 5, Paul talks about the Spirit causes kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and the like.

But people will say if you don't speak in tongues you aren't indwelled by the spirit... it is so wrong for people to judge on spiritual matters like that.

Reactions: GracefulWarrior