In The Name of Religions

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

RichardBurger

Jan 23, 2008
Southeast USA
(Gareth;51745)
It's not being rude it's the exact sentiment that is expressed about traditional Christians in this thread.RichardBurger even suggested in his quotation of Matthew 7 in the original post, that those who practise Christianity in a traditional Church are "false prophets". Well I happen to think that is not the right way to approach it at all.I understand that this is a non-denominational forum, but what I don't understand is this need that is emerging to attack your Christian brothers and sisters in other churches.
This thread is about how the religious have used Christianity to oppress, kill and murder. If the shoe fits then it has to be worn. If it doesn't, this thread does not apply.Those Christians that have used Christianity to oppress, kill and murder are certainly not my brothers and sisters "in Christ". IMHO they are not "in Christ" at all.Richard
smile.gif

Jackie D

Mar 15, 2008
(Gareth;51745)
It's not being rude it's the exact sentiment that is expressed about traditional Christians in this thread.RichardBurger even suggested in his quotation of Matthew 7 in the original post, that those who practise Christianity in a traditional Church are "false prophets". Well I happen to think that is not the right way to approach it at all.I understand that this is a non-denominational forum, but what I don't understand is this need that is emerging to attack your Christian brothers and sisters in other churches.
No one is attacking anyone. I have seen nothing of the sort, nor have I participated in an attack. I have simply stated what I believe to be true of some people. Not once did I state or imply that all are wrong, or bad or anything else. Please don't take personal what is not intended for you or anyone else as an afront on character. Please take the time to listen and be open minded that there are people in the church who are this way.As RichardBurger said, if the shoe does not fit for you don't wear it. If something doesn't apply to me, why should I become offended?be blessed Gareth

Gareth

May 27, 2008
It's the way the post is written, you are using the incidents that have been a result of the abuse of religion, and then somewhat saying that all religion is bad as a result. It doesn't work that way at all. Infact I find the Christian religion to be one of the most beautiful things that I have ever experienced and that Christ would be just as happy with the way that we operate in our churches honouring the traditions passed from the Apostles, to the way that non-denominational Christians practise.

Jackie D

Mar 15, 2008
(Gareth;51755)
It's the way the post is written, you are using the incidents that have been a result of the abuse of religion, and then somewhat saying that all religion is bad as a result. It doesn't work that way at all. Infact I find the Christian religion to be one of the most beautiful things that I have ever experienced and that Christ would be just as happy with the way that we operate in our churches honouring the traditions passed from the Apostles, to the way that non-denominational Christians practise.
once again I must repeat that Christ is NOT religion. I get that some believe that to have a relationship with Christ they must have religion. What I find disturbing is that you are in defense of religion to the exent of segregating denominational Christianity from non-denominational in such a way that seems you find the non-denominational Christian somehow inferior to your way of practicing faith. This too feels very much like an oppressive way to be (IMO). It feels judgemental to hear your statements. So you see there is a difference of opinion on how some believe faith is practiced. Some believe that being religious and practicing faith in a structured and religious way is how to do it and others do not. Is that really so bad? Is my relationship with God somehow less than yours because I don't practice the way you do? The OP was about denominations and religions how they have oppressed and killed and I thought it important to bring up Christianity as we are supposedly the ones who are to separate ourselves from how the rest of the world operates. I don't understand what you mean by abuse of religion. How about those who abuse those who are not religious? How about those who tell others that if they do not attend church every Sunday, tythe 10% to the church they attend every Sunday and don't follow the little house rules of each appointed church they are not really Christians. That these people who refuse to bend to the rules of man are going to burn in hell for they are rebellious against God, when in fact they rebel against man? And how many stories over the centuries have we heard about Christians doing these very things to other Christians and not blink an eye, yet condemn other religions and factions for doing the very things they do? Isn't that hypocrisy at it's finest?How do you explain the "abuse of religion" (as you like to say) over the abuse of people? Tell me something, do you think I need to attend a Sunday service every week, in a building with other people who believe themselves to be "christian" in order to be in right standing with the Lord?

Gareth

May 27, 2008
I don't intend to separate anyone.Christianity in my mind is a religion. All who believe in Christ are a part of it.
Tell me something, do you think I need to attend a Sunday service every week, in a building with other people who believe themselves to be "christian" in order to be in right standing with the Lord?
No, however it is advisable. Hebrews 10 says that coming together as a Church is a wonderful and beautiful thing. We are Christ's body on earth, and I personally love the Christian community I feel when I go to Church, and that I can honour God through being in Church. However I have no problem with others who keep to themselves to pray, I have often just read Bible passages, prayed to God, and sometimes used the Book of Common Prayer for inspiration. Nothing wrong with that in the slightest.The abuse of religion is the corruption of Christianity, leading the church away from Christian principles, and doing unlawful things in the name of Christianity or in the name of Jesus. I personally see the Crusades as unlawful, and after reading a history of the First Crusade, I can honestly tell you I wouldn't want such greed, theft and barbarism associated with Jesus even if the defence was to save the lost Byzantine Empire from Islam.This is why I think that we must constantly look to see if we are keeping to our roots, and this is exactly what the English Reformation, and the German Reformation did for Europe at it's time. We can become corrupted as people, in any church, and that is why we need to constantly observe our own personal roots and our roots as a Church to see if they are coherent with the Christian faith and with the Biblical text. Also, we must try to keep the focus on evangelism, and on bringing new people to the Church.If you want a modern day example of corruption in the Church, I would hint strongly towards the appointing of homosexual bishops by the Episcopal Church. However, I would also see the existence of superpreachers, and superchurches to be another corruption if they are made in the event to make a profit. I think it would be fair to say that this isn't just a problem for denominational churches, but each and every church whether non-denominational, or denominational at times become corrupted from the true message that is in the Gospel. That is the abuse of the Christian religion in my opinion, when we make Christ to suit ourselves, instead of making ourselves to suit God's will for us. Hope that explains it better.

Jackie D

Mar 15, 2008
(Gareth;51757)
I don't intend to separate anyone.Christianity in my mind is a religion. All who believe in Christ are a part of it.
I'm sorry if I seemed harsh.(Gareth;51757)
No, however it is advisable. Hebrews 10 says that coming together as a Church is a wonderful and beautiful thing. We are Christ's body on earth, and I personally love the Christian community I feel when I go to Church, and that I can honour God through being in Church. However I have no problem with others who keep to themselves to pray, I have often just read Bible passages, prayed to God, and sometimes used the Book of Common Prayer for inspiration. Nothing wrong with that in the slightest.
I have no issue with attending church. The issue I have is with finding a church that let's me be me and doesn't insist that I become just like them or believe every word that falls out of the fallible man's mouth. I cannot do it, never have been able to and most likely it will never happen. (Gareth;51757)
This is why I think that we must constantly look to see if we are keeping to our roots, and this is exactly what the English Reformation, and the German Reformation did for Europe at it's time. We can become corrupted as people, in any church, and that is why we need to constantly observe our own personal roots and our roots as a Church to see if they are coherent with the Christian faith and with the Biblical text. Also, we must try to keep the focus on evangelism, and on bringing new people to the Church.
corruption has been since the beginning of time and will continue to the end. no matter how we try to keep things in tact. I believe that true reformation begins with each individuals desire to love the Lord and walk in the manner that He would have us walk, individually and corporately.(Gareth;51757)
If you want a modern day example of corruption in the Church, I would hint strongly towards the appointing of homosexual bishops by the Episcopal Church.
I think I did bring it up in my first post...not necessarily the name of any denomination (denominational picking is not allowed on this board) but that it has become a problem among much of the Christian community.(Gareth;51757)
However, I would also see the existence of superpreachers, and superchurches to be another corruption if they are made in the event to make a profit. I think it would be fair to say that this isn't just a problem for denominational churches, but each and every church whether non-denominational, or denominational at times become corrupted from the true message that is in the Gospel. That is the abuse of the Christian religion in my opinion, when we make Christ to suit ourselves, instead of making ourselves to suit God's will for us. Hope that explains it better.
explains it quite nicely and I agree. I would have to add however, (because I am me, and this is what I do
smile.gif
) that not all are cut from the same cloth and our relationship with God is personal before (IMO) it is corporate. blessings

Gareth

May 27, 2008
(Jackie D;51761)
I'm sorry if I seemed harsh.
You didn't at all really
smile.gif
(Jackie D)
corruption has been since the beginning of time and will continue to the end. no matter how we try to keep things in tact. I believe that true reformation begins with each individuals desire to love the Lord and walk in the manner that He would have us walk, individually and corporately.
I agree, but at the same time, I find the way I honour the Lord to be the most comfortable for me and of course the others in my congregation seem to find it the same. I find it important to ensure that my Church remains faithful to the Bible however.(Jackie D)
I think I did bring it up in my first post...not necessarily the name of any denomination (denominational picking is not allowed on this board) but that it has become a problem among much of the Christian community.
They are the US branch of my own church, (Anglicanism), and there will be a conference at Lambeth this summer to bring this under discussion and to make a final decision for the whole Anglican Church worldwide. Hopefully one in favour of keeping to the Biblical roots, or I may find myself wandering.(Jackie D)
explains it quite nicely and I agree. I would have to add however, (because I am me, and this is what I do
smile.gif
) that not all are cut from the same cloth and our relationship with God is personal before (IMO) it is corporate.
I think I actually would agree with that. Some people unfortunately do not take Christianity very seriously, and this is tragic no matter what Church we are looking at in the Christian faith.