Infant baptism biblical?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
infant sprinkling is unscriptual, doctrines of men. It is heresy.
Hello Titus,

What passage in Scripture gives instructions on how to baptize?

Curious Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The word baptizo is immersion. Nothing else.
Sprinkling, pouring are then excluded by definition.
Not true. I refer you to @Illuminator post #147 that show Scripture does not support what your men have taught you.

I also refer you to these links that will, once again, prove you wrong:

I also refer you to writings from your own Christian history that were written BEFORE some of the NT books which many Protestants like you ignore: https://hopepointe.thetrinitymission.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/CHURCH-HISTORY-READINGS-1.pdf

IN SUMMARY: Scripture does not support your teaching
The translation does not support your interpretation of the word
The Christians who were alive DURING the NT times did not practice your teachings
The teaching you are repeating, and practicing is a 500-year-old teaching of Protestant men

Conclusion: You are repeating a false teaching of Protestant men:woohoo!:

Reactions: Illuminator

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not true. I refer you to @Illuminator post #147 that show Scripture does not support what your men have taught you.

I also refer you to these links that will, once again, prove you wrong:

I also refer you to writings from your own Christian history that were written BEFORE some of the NT books which many Protestants like you ignore: https://hopepointe.thetrinitymission.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/CHURCH-HISTORY-READINGS-1.pdf

IN SUMMARY: Scripture does not support your teaching
The translation does not support your interpretation of the word
The Christians who were alive DURING the NT times did not practice your teachings
The teaching you are repeating, and practicing is a 500-year-old teaching of Protestant men

Conclusion: You are repeating a false teaching of Protestant men:woohoo!:
Every Greek scholar worth his salt, disagrees with you.
I'm not putting any faith in what the catholic church claims.
I've already confirmed you are in err of the definition of baptizo.
All one has to do is contact multiple Greek scholars and they can learn it means immersion.
Never sprinkling or pouring.
Thayer one of the most respected Greek scholars in history totally disagrees with the catholic definition and practise of sprinkling, pouring as a mode for immersion.
Thayer defines baptizo as immersion only.

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
False equivalency. One takes away sins, saves. The other cannot save anyone.

And your accusation is misrepresentation. I never denied there is a metaphor used to describe water baptism as a spiritual circumcision.

You are trying to equate,
Babies being circumsized with babies being saved in baptism.
They do not equate for the have different PURPOSES.
A classic straw man. Circumcision and baptism are NOT equals, for the third time. The single purpose for both is for entering a covenant, yes and for a different purpose. We don't deny that. Stop saying we do.

Last edited:

Hippie

Dec 2, 2022
Rossville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Babies do not need to be baptized cause they are not responsible for their sins till they can tell the difference between right and wrong. That is usually around the age of 12-13. They innocent. They need to know who Jesus is. Raise the children teaching them right and wrong and knowing who Jesus is.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Baptism is symbolic burial (followed by symbolic resurrection). Sprinkling is taking a shower. It accomplishes nothing and is unscriptural.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It would give some credibility to your claims if in fact the old covenant that one got into through circumcision equated with water immersion but they do not.

Circumcision never was designed to save a Jewish baby. Circumcised Jews could be lost.
Whereas new testament baptism in the name of Jesus Christ does wash away the sins of the individual.
Circumcision: not for the forgiveness of sins.

Immersion in Jesus' name: for the forgiveness of sins.

So your old testament covenant argument with children is irrelevant because circumcision never saved any of those baby boys.
Where as baptism in the new covenant was only for the purpose to save.
You have made a false equivalency.
Your argument is a fallacy therefore, you have no credibility.

Stop running to the old testament. Those who try and pervert the true meaning of baptizo like to use Jewish ceremonies as their proof texts.
We are dealing with the Christian religion, not the old Mosaical law and Jewish traditions.
Your entire argument above in RED collapses like a house of cards because you don't understand the Word of God. Time for another Bible Lesson . . .

FIRST
of all – NT Fulfillments are ALWAYS more glorious and perfect that their OT Types. There is not a SINGLE Fulfillment that is inferior to its TYPE.

Adam (OT) >> Jesus(NT)
Moses (OT)
>> Jesus(NT)
Circumcision (OT)
>> Baptism(NT)
Ark of the Covenant (OT)
>> Mary (NT)
Circumcision (OT)
>>
Ba[tosm (NT)

SECONDLY –
your perversion that Baptism has only ONE purpose is another failure on your paper to rightly divide the Word. Like Circumcision before it – Baptism is the entry point into the Covenant with Almighty God.And if you think that you cannot lose your salvation – then you NEVER read the following warnings about this very topic:
(Matt. 7:19-23, Matt. 10:22, Matt. 24:13, Matt. 25:31–46, John 15:1-6, Rom. 11:22, 1 Cor. 4:4, 1 Cor. 9:27, 1 Cor. 10:12, 1 Tim. 4:1, 1 Tim. 4:16, 2 Tim. 2:12, Heb. 3:6, Heb. 3:12-14, Heb. 6:4-6, Heb. 10:26-27, 2 Pet. 2:20-21, 2 Pet. 3:17, 1 John 2:24, 1 John 5:13, Rev. 3:5, Rev. 22:19)

Finally – YOUR statement that I should, Stop running to the Old Testament”, is one of the most asinine and ignorant things I’ve read on this forum.
Pay attention here:
The New Testament lies hidden in the Old Testament – and the Old Testament is REVEALED in the New.
This is precisely why you DON’T understand God’s Word.

Reactions: Illuminator

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Babies do not need to be baptized cause they are not responsible for their sins till they can tell the difference between right and wrong. That is usually around the age of 12-13. They innocent. They need to know who Jesus is. Raise the children teaching them right and wrong and knowing who Jesus is.
Show me the verse that makes your "12-13 year old" argument - and I''ll show you several verses about 8-day-iks babies entering a COVENANT (agreement) with Fod.

I'll wait righ here for your response . . .

Hippie

Dec 2, 2022
Rossville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is no verse that says that. When Jesus came and died for us. It was the beginning of the new covenant, the beginning of his church. We no longer live by the old covenant. When the children came to him and they tried to stop them what did he say. Don't stop the children from coming to me. We must be like children. Innocent. We are past the age of not knowing the difference between right and wrong. That is why we need to be baptized and they don't.

Reactions: Jim B

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Precious friend, A Very Warm Welcome to the Board.

Correct, NO Infant baptism In Scripture. And, upon further prayerful
and Careful Examination Of Scriptures, Rightly Divided, one will find
that God Has NO water baptism, Today, Under GRACE.

It is simply God's ONE Baptism "BY" The ONE Holy Spirit (Eph 4:5;
1Co 12:13) Identifying us with (and IN) The ONE Body Of Christ!

Thus, adding water to the equation is "bad math," causing Confusion,
and Even Worse, I severely FEAR = "blaspheming" God's Word Of Truth.
:cry:

More study:
Divider Poll 13 Bible baptisms

Please Be Very RICHLY Encouraged, Enlightened, Exhorted, And Edified In
The LORD JESUS CHRIST, And In His Word Of Truth, Rightly Divided!

Grace, Peace, And JOY!...

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Correct, NO Infant baptism In Scripture. And, upon further prayerful

More study:

However, Paul wrote this in his letter to the Roman church: "Therefore we have been buried with him through baptism into death, in order that just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we too may live a new life." Romans 6:4

So water baptism is part of the New Covenant. Although not a requirement, it is a symbolic statement that the "old man", i.e., the sinful nature with which we are all born, has been buried and we have been resurrected into the new life in Christ.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is no verse that says that. When Jesus came and died for us. It was the beginning of the new covenant, the beginning of his church. We no longer live by the old covenant. When the children came to him and they tried to stop them what did he say. Don't stop the children from coming to me. We must be like children. Innocent. We are past the age of not knowing the difference between right and wrong. That is why we need to be baptized and they don't.
And WHY is it that NONE of you can explain why an 8-day-okd baby had to be circumcised in ordeer to comply with God's Covenant??
Can a baby enter into a solemn agreement (Covenant) oon his own?
Or was it by the faith of the PARENTS?

SAME
goes with Baptism because EVERYONE is born into sim (Rom, 5:12).

Reactions: Moses_the_younger

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The word baptizo is immersion. Nothing else.
Sprinkling, pouring are then excluded by definition.
WRONG.

Explain to mne why the 1st century Church document, The Didache (Teachings of the Telbe Apostles describes Baptism includes POURING as Baptism:

The Didache (Teachings of the Telbe Apostles (AD50)

Chapter 7. Concerning Baptism​

And concerning baptism, baptize this way: Having first said all these things, baptize into the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, in living water. But if you have not living water, baptize into other water; and if you can not in cold, in warm. But if you have not either, POUR OUT WATER THREE TIMES UPON THE HEAD into the name of Father and Son and Holy Spirit.

And NOWHERE in ALL of the NT do we see the description of a Baptism - by immersion - OR by pouring. The details are ALL part of Catholic Tradition.

I'll waith right here for your respomse . . .

Last edited:

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
However, Paul wrote this in his letter to the Roman church: "Therefore we have been buried with him through baptism into death, in order that just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we too may live a new life." Romans 6:4

So water baptism is part of the New Covenant. Although not a requirement, it is a symbolic statement that the "old man", i.e., the sinful nature with which we are all born, has been buried and we have been resurrected into the new life in Christ.
That's NOT what Jesus said . . .

Mark 16:16
Whoever believes AND IS BAPTIZED will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

John 3:5
“Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God UNLESS they are born of WATER and the SPIRIT.

Stop placing HUMAN precepts before God . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Correct, NO Infant baptism In Scripture.

And, upon further prayerful

More study:

interesting.
So, because i's not explicitly described in Scripture - although it is, implicitly - then it's NOT true?

Perhaps, then, YOU can show me where the folloeing Protestat Traditions are texplicitly aught:
- A Pre-Millennial Rapture
- Acceptng Christ as "Personal Lord and Savior"
- Limited Atonement
- Imputed righteousness
- Altar Calls
- Infant Dedication
- Eternal Security
- “Once saved, always saved”
- Sola Scriptura

- Sola Fide

Take your time . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Fact: Catholics don't baptize babies, they sprinkle water over them. That is unscriptual. That is changing the definition of water immersion.

Not one example in the new testament where a person being baptized in the name of Jesus Christ was sprinkled or poured. It is an immersion, fully submerged in water,

Acts 8:38-39,
-So he commanded the chariot to stand still. and both Phillip and the Eunch went down into the water and he baptized him.
-Now when they came up out of the water
, the Spirit of the Lord caught Philip away, so that the eunuch saw him no more: and he went on his way rejoicing.

infant sprinkling is unscriptual, doctrines of men. It is heresy.
I suggwr you READ post#175, Where I gave you a History Lessson on the descrption of Early Church Ba[tiem.
STILL waiting for an intelligent response . . .

Hippie

Dec 2, 2022
Rossville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From all that is being said. How I can see it is that from so many churches and religions. Almost all of them have their own idea of how things are to be done and of course they think their way is the correct way. Some churches have a second book that they follow. Where is wrong cause nothing can be added or taken from Gods word. Many churches go by their own traditions. That is the main problem with things like baptism. I think or they think. I believe they believe. Things added onto Gods word by an extra book and traditions.

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul wrote this in his letter to the Roman church: "Therefore we have been buried with him through baptism into death, in order that just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we too may live a new life." Romans 6:4
Thanks, appreciate the input. We asked the church of christ baptismal regenerationists
"where is the water in that passage?" The angry elder answered: "It Must Be INFERRED!"
My precious brother and I immediately knew "it was time to GO!" from what was a good discussion up to that point.

We now see absolutely no reason to interpret the "physical symbolic" (I
used to believe) in this passage, but we do see Every reason that It Is
The ONE Spiritual Baptism
That Paul teaches that Identifies us with the ONE Body of Christ!
Scriptural Confirmation:

"...There Is ONE LORD, ONE faith, ONE Baptism..." (Eph 4:5)​

"For BY ONE Spirit are we all Baptized Into ONE Body, whether
we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have
been all made to drink into ONE Spirit." (1Co 12:13)​
"For as many of you as have been Baptized Into Christ have put
on Christ." (Gal 3:27)​
+ the one in this discussion:

"Know ye not, that so many of us as were Baptized Into Jesus Christ
were Baptized Into His death? Therefore we are buried with Him By
Baptism Into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead
by The Glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness
of life." (Rom 6:4-5)​
water? If so, then the "church of christ" is Correct, Correct? Or:

The Operation Of The ONE Holy Spirit Of God?:

"Buried with Him in Baptism, wherein also ye are risen with Him
Through The Faith of The Operation of God, Who Hath Raised Him
from the dead." (Col 2:12)​
I rest my case...

Reactions: Hippie

-Phil

Nov 22, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The term baptism originally referred to being soaked & dipped ‘over one’s head’ in color.
Which of course only light could be.