infant baptism

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

followerofchrist

Nov 22, 2007
I was babtized as an infant. But I wasn't saved until just last year. But even if I were to be baptized now it wouldn't do anything. Water is just water,it does nothing for salvation.

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I was babtized as an infant. But I wasn't saved until just last year. But even if I were to be baptized now it wouldn't do anything. Water is just water,it does nothing for salvation.
I think you will have to back this up from scripture follower of christ. There is sufficient evidence there to suggest that it is more than just getting wet. I see it as a quality of life issue inasmuch that baptism in the time of the NT was used by many religions not just "The Way" as christianity was known as orginally to enable the person who was embracing the religon to show that he was committed to the teachings of that religion. What you might call an outward sign of an inner commitment. Until you have been baptised by immersion you cannot know if it will make any difference. I am sure you will see the logic of that. To put it in a young man's perspective, you cannot say that your car is better than mine until you have driven both. Until that happens, you only have someone else's opinion.If you want to see a fuller explanation of baptism as the scriptures record it go to http://churchalive66.googlepages.com

followerofchrist

Nov 22, 2007
(marksman;60850)
I think you will have to back this up from scripture follower of christ. There is sufficient evidence there to suggest that it is more than just getting wet. I see it as a quality of life issue inasmuch that baptism in the time of the NT was used by many religions not just "The Way" as christianity was known as orginally to enable the person who was embracing the religon to show that he was committed to the teachings of that religion. What you might call an outward sign of an inner commitment. Until you have been baptised by immersion you cannot know if it will make any difference. I am sure you will see the logic of that. To put it in a young man's perspective, you cannot say that your car is better than mine until you have driven both. Until that happens, you only have someone else's opinion. If you want to see a fuller explanation of baptism as the scriptures record it go to http://churchalive66.googlepages.com
I have studied this before, curious if water baptism was necessary. But no, I am saved by Jesus, and through Jesus alone. The water baptism is a public proclomation of faith, so obviously a good thing, but not a necessary thing. I am baptized, but I am baptized in the spirit. That is what is truly important. I am saved through faith in Jesus Christ alone.

ffbruce

Oct 9, 2008
We do not, at the church I pastor, sprinkle infants. We baptize penitent believers. You have to go to great lengths to find so much as a possible inference to infant baptism in the Bible. But baptism of believers is not only there, but is commanded (Acts 2:38).Am I saved before, during, or after baptism? I think that's a little like asking if I'm married before, during or after my wedding. Why try to dissect them when it is part of the same process?

Follower

Oct 1, 2008
(ffbruce;60874)
Am I saved before, during, or after baptism? I think that's a little like asking if I'm married before, during or after my wedding. Why try to dissect them when it is part of the same process?
I think you're married when you commit to living as man and wife, regardless of a wedding (in fact, this is Common Law).

logabe

Aug 28, 2008
Let’s get the facts:1st Peter 3:20-2120 who once were disobedient, when the patience of God kept waiting in the days of Noah, during the construction of the ark, in which a few, that is, eight persons, were brought safely through {the} water.21 Corresponding to that, baptism now saves you--not the removal of dirt from the flesh, but an appeal to God for a good conscience--through the resurrection of Jesus Christ,Can we have a good conscience without it? Accordingto Peter, NO!Yeah, but that was just for the Jews…Acts 10:47-4847 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.What’s it for…Acts 22:1616 And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.Logabe

ffbruce

Oct 9, 2008
(Follower;60875)
I think you're married when you commit to living as man and wife, regardless of a wedding (in fact, this is Common Law).
I appreciate that thought. Thank you!But if we're going to get nit-picky about it, I think there's a certain amount of time required before it's considered a common-law marriage. Anwhooo... I guess I'd have to wonder about a man who says he deeply loves a woman, wants to spend the rest of their lives together, yet doesn't want to get married. I know that's a far stretch, but I think you know what I mean.We're called to be baptized. So if we love the Lord, why wouldn't we?

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Baptized...yes...but in what sense? What does the Word say?Matthew 3:11
I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:
Physical Baptism in the water is fine - its a way to show what you believe. But could someone potentially (and wrongly) Baptize a man who's heart is not with God? Sure could. Baptism of the Holy Spirit is essential, water Baptism is not.

Follower

Oct 1, 2008
(ffbruce;60882)
But if we're going to get nit-picky about it, I think there's a certain amount of time required before it's considered a common-law marriage.
You're mistaking the common road to Common Law marriage as a requirement of the Common Law. There is no time requirement.
We're called to be baptized. So if we love the Lord, why wouldn't we?
Exactly.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
If baptism by immersion in water is not necessary as folllowerofchrist claims, I would be interested to see what people make of Acts 2:38 when Peter was asked by the crowd what they should do and he said "Repent and be baptised, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ so that your sins may be forgiven."My take is that it was the first gospel message to establish the church so he was laying down a principle of repentance and baptism for the remission of sin as the first step to becoming a member of the church; that he was setting out how they were to be baptised..in the name of Jesus Christ; he made it clear that everyone had to be baptised; that you sins are not forgiven if you do not repent and get baptised; and if baptism wasn't necessary, why did he tell them that is what they had to do? Over to you.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(marksman;60918)
If baptism by immersion in water is not necessary as folllowerofchrist claims, I would be interested to see what people make of Acts 2:38 when Peter was asked by the crowd what they should do and he said "Repent and be baptised, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ so that your sins may be forgiven."My take is that it was the first gospel message to establish the church so he was laying down a principle of repentance and baptism for the remission of sin as the first step to becoming a member of the church; that he was setting out how they were to be baptised..in the name of Jesus Christ; he made it clear that everyone had to be baptised; that you sins are not forgiven if you do not repent and get baptised; and if baptism wasn't necessary, why did he tell them that is what they had to do? Over to you.
Matthew 28:19, Matthew 3:11, (as Swamp Fox quoted) and Ephesians 4:5.

waquinas

Apr 24, 2008
(Swamp Fox;60883)
Baptized...yes...but in what sense? What does the Word say?Matthew 3:11Physical Baptism in the water is fine - its a way to show what you believe. But could someone potentially (and wrongly) Baptize a man who's heart is not with God? Sure could. Baptism of the Holy Spirit is essential, water Baptism is not.
Am not sure how we know someone's heart whether we believe Baptism acutally washes away sin or profession of faith. The point of saying we could "wrongly" Baptise someone because of our beliefs is moot. God cannot be fooled.I do not think we can dismiss the fact that John claimed his Baptism actually did something for those he dunked and that he did not say a Baptism in Jesus name would no longer do that, but that it would do even MORE. One cannot be filled with Holy Spirit and also sin at the same time.

logabe

Aug 28, 2008
Let’s get some more facts from the Bible:Acts 8:1212 But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.Acts 8:14-1714 Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John:15 Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost:16 (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.)17 Then laid they [their] hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost.So…let me get this…the first thing Phillip didwas to tell them they needed to be baptizedin the NAME of Jesus. Wonder why? Let’s go back to the Book:Acts 10:4343 To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins.Ohhh…so we have to be baptized a certain way?Well, the only way to find out is what? Go back to the Book:Acts 19:1-61 And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples,2 He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.3 And he said unto them, Unto what then ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism.4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.5 When they heard [this], they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus6 And when Paul had laid [his] hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.In Acts 4:1212 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.That’s why Paul ask them…unto what then were they baptized. Paul didn’t blink an eye and thefirst thing he told them was they needed to bebaptized again. They had to cut covenant withGod through obedience. Acts 2:4141 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added [unto them] about three thousand souls.Christians have to quit listening to man and studyto show themselves approved before God. This isa very elementary subject but man has disobeyedGod and did it his own way. We have to receiveHis Word with gladness or we will be deceived byman.We put on His Name in baptism and that makes itlegal in the Divine Court. We have already beenhealed of leprosy but we have to go see the priestfor inspection to make it legal and the leper thencan go out with the rest of the people in the kingdomat the appointed time (Tabernacles).If a person doesn’t get baptized, he or she will giveup their inheritance not their salvation. They will be saved but like as by fire. They will be raised in thesecond resurrection. 1st Corth. 3:1515 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.That loss is the first resurrection…he will be raisedwith the unbelievers because he didn’t learn to beobedient to God’s Word. A person can be baptizedand not learn obedience and still lose his reward ofthe first resurrection. All the great men and women of the Bible were looking for one thing:Hebrews 11:3535 Women received their dead raised to life again: and others were tortured, not accepting deliverance; that they might obtain a better resurrection: Logabe

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Jordan, I have no idea of the relevance of the verses you have quoted.Logabe, some very good comments to think about. As a matter of interest, why do you use only half the width of the page. It has got me curious.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(marksman;60971)
Jordan, I have no idea of the relevance of the verses you have quoted.Logabe, some very good comments to think about. As a matter of interest, why do you use only half the width of the page. It has got me curious.
Matthew 28:19 - Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:^ Same as Acts 2:38Matthew 3:11 - I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance. but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:Ephesians 4:5 - One Lord, one faith, one baptism,

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Jordan, I didn't ask you to post the verses again. I said I didn't understand the relevance of them. I still don't. Matt 28:19 is not the same as Acts 2:38. Matt talks about baptising in the name of the trinity. Acts 2 talks about being baptised in the name of Jesus Christ.

n2thelight

Dec 24, 2006
Atlanta,Ga
When we get Baptized, it is an act of faith and obedience; obedience because our Lord told us to do it, and faith in that when we get Baptized we are declaring that we believe that Christ Jesus died and rose again. It is a type of that which we do when we go under the water as Christ went into the tomb, and we come out of the water as Christ rose from the dead. It is a statement of faith as much as it is obedience to our Lord. With that said,I don't believe in infant baptism,for the simple reason that they do not know the purpose.And when they are older I feel they will need to be rebaptised.I feel the choice should be made by the person getting Baptized.Acts 8:36-3736 And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?37 And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. (KJV)An infant does not believe in anything