Is A Christian Couple Living Together Considered 'married'..?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

forgivenWretch

Feb 10, 2008
Tennessee
mjrhealth saidI got one question and I want a direct answer If a man and a woman, saved or unsaved, were to just say one day to each other one day, "Honey, I consider us now married, it is ok to have sex"; then they had sex, would this be fornication? YES or NO, and supporrt your answer with scripture.
Yes. God's Word is the support. They are merely pleasing themselves, and leaving God out of the picture.

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
Yes. God's Word is the support. They are merely pleasing themselves, and leaving God out of the picture.
I agree. Doing this is selfish because they're not taking in consideration those around them. It's not putting anyone in bondage to any kind of law.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I agree. Doing this is selfish because they're not taking in consideration those around them. It's not putting anyone in bondage to any kind of law.
Why, I ask are they leaving God out of the picture,
I agree. Doing this is selfish because they're not taking in consideration those around them. It's not putting anyone in bondage to any kind of law
And would it not be a more selfish thing for them to spend lots of money, on an expensive wedding, get presents from all their friends then brake up a short time later. If its not troubling God should it be troubling you.In His love

Vickie

Feb 26, 2009
My question is, I know a Christian couple who is living together, sleeping together, etc. They have been together for 5 years and living with each other for 3 years. The girl just became a Christian about 18 months ago and is now fully aware that she should either get married or move out. Now, a question has arisen and has been asked of me... is she already married in God's eyes? If she leaves would that constitute a divorce? She has not made a marriage vow to her boyfriend. Her boyfriend asked her to marry him at Christmas and she said no.From a Christian perspective... do you believe these two people are already married to each other??Thank you for any light you can shed on this difficult matter.~Dan
There are common law in each state, I know about the one that exist under Texas law. If a woman lives with a man for 2 yrs and has any utility or officially recognized bill, such as a credit card, or bank account using Mr. and Mrs. They by Texas law are noted as common law husband and wife and my sister for one did this and went through the courts to get a divorce. Never having acquired a marriage certificate. Each state varies in this. I will say, I never saw in the bible that a paper was required with marriage, concerning Christians or Jews. Jesus said to the Pharisees that their hardness caused Moses to issue a decree.Matt 19:7 They say unto him, Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away? Just something you might want to think about. Vickie

Copper25

Dec 2, 2008
mjrhealth saidAnd would it not be a more selfish thing for them to spend lots of money, on an expensive wedding, get presents from all their friends then brake up a short time later. If its not troubling God should it be troubling you.____________Copper25 says- People may not think about this much in a materialistic society that emphasizes on big money, big stuff, and big celebrations, but you can have a wedding composed simplistic elements. A minister and a couple of witnesses, you don't have to have an expensive wedding, that is just a developed mantality of our culture now a days. And on another note, with an attitude like this, expecting a short ended relationship, how long can it last?

Polar

Apr 10, 2009
How we limit God, place our rules our understaning on the love of God. If a man and women are in love and committed to one another why should they not be married in Gods eyes. we have so little understanding of His ways. Of course they are married in Gods eyes, He doesnt require a certificate He requires a little love and dedication, but the enemy, oh no he will complicate it and that screws us all up. God loves them they are doing no wrong.
-- In one sentence you say "we have so little understanding of His ways" and in the very next sentence you say "Of course they are married in God's eyes."The first sentence negates the second sentence completely.What bothers me is that you are saying that both Christians and non-Christians alike have the green light to live together in a sexual relationship without marriage as long as it is "committed."As far as "In God's eyes," I challenge anyone here to show they know this is acceptable in His eyes. I would say this falls under, "Render unto Caesar." Society dictates that marraige requires either a religious or civil ceremony and if you don't do that, then you are not considered married. It impacts benefits, insurance, etc. If society doesn't consider it a committed relationship and thus doesn't grant health coverage or insurance benefits, why would God?

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
If society doesn't consider it a committed relationship and thus doesn't grant health coverage or insurance benefits, why would God?
Society doesnt consider God to be God but He still is. Committment doesnt require a certificate, it just reqires commitment, just look at the number of failed, "comitted" marriages out there. When Jesus comes for His bride, should it be that we all get a certificate. Most of the things we care so much about in this life mean so little to God, but we love our ways, and if anyone should be different, well, just look what we did to Jesus.In His love

Polar

Apr 10, 2009
"When Jesus comes for His bride, should it be that we all get a certificate." -- mjrhealth-- According to your theory, we don't need to be His bride. Love makes it okay just to be His live-in girlfriend.So, to sum up, there is no such thing as sexual perversion between two committed people...as long as the two people involved love each other, saved or unsaved. That about right? Love knows no limits between two consenting loving adults?Just curious, does this include brothers and sisters? How about gays and lesbians? How about if it is a man and two women he is deeply in love with?"Marriage should be honored by all, and the marriage bed kept pure, for God will judge the adulterer and all the sexually immoral." -- Hebrews 13:4-- Tell me, just what version translates "marraige" to "cohabitation between those in love"?

Jilli

Feb 23, 2009
Very interesting reading from everyone and an interesting topic.The laws of the land in this generation we live in now say that to be married we have a certificate etc, in the past and in different cultures the rules have been different. God tells us to respect and obey the laws and the government we live under (unless it goes against Him). Therefore it seems clear to me that to be married is to have a recognised official ceremony. As many have already pointed out if that does not happen then where is the line between 'married' people and not. If I had not been properly married to my husband I would have been thinking for the last 25 years, why could either one or both of us not make that final simple commitment and have a certificate to show our commitment to the world? In Gods eyes back in Abrahams day a wedding took place in a different way and that was accepted as marriage then. Today, it is a piece of paper. Why would God accept less if he says that to have sex outside of the marriage is wrong? To Dan I would say that this girl has never been married and the fact she does not now want to marry her boyfriend means she isn't (and maybe neverwas) committed to him. Which means she dosn't need to be 'divorced'.I would also say that the rules we live under as christians from the bible do not apply the same to non-believers. In saying that I mean that they SHOULD apply but if you do not believe in something then why should or how can you obey it? When this girl became a christian she realised she was doing wrong and wanted to change it. It is my opinion that God would be far more disapointed in seeing his child doing wrong (living with someone without being married) than an unbeliever doing the same thing.

Ruth

Jan 26, 2009
Hebrews 13:4 it says, "Marriage is honorable, a married couples bed is undefiled." A marriage bed is undefiled, you can't defile a marriage bed. But fornicators and adulterers, God will judge, Hebrews 13:4. God draws the line at that point. The marriage bed, that's where the line is drawn. Any bed other than a marriage bed, God will judge

SoldierforChrist

Sep 21, 2008
Well to answer the question asked, it is quite simple. If they are not married and are sleeping together then that is fornication according to the Bible. One might say that they have been living together for so long now that they should be considered married thus it is not fornication. However, fornication is two unmarried people having sex, and the Bible does not give a time limit on how long they have to live in fornication until they are considered married. Some may say that getting married legally is just a piece of paper. It is more than that though, it is a outward acknowledgment that you are married, and it makes it official. God requires marriage before sex or it is considered fornication. Unfortunately many people these days are forsaking the sanctity of marriage and are just shacking up. The Bible says that there will be many fornicators and adulterers in the last days, and I believe we are seeing that now.

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
"When Jesus comes for His bride, should it be that we all get a certificate." -- mjrhealth-- According to your theory, we don't need to be His bride. Love makes it okay just to be His live-in girlfriend.So, to sum up, there is no such thing as sexual perversion between two committed people...as long as the two people involved love each other, saved or unsaved. That about right? Love knows no limits between two consenting loving adults?Just curious, does this include brothers and sisters? How about gays and lesbians? How about if it is a man and two women he is deeply in love with?"Marriage should be honored by all, and the marriage bed kept pure, for God will judge the adulterer and all the sexually immoral." -- Hebrews 13:4-- Tell me, just what version translates "marraige" to "cohabitation between those in love"?
The marriage certificate of the Lamb, ROFLOL!But, now that I think of it, we will all get a white stone with a new name written on it. Also,,, The book of life with our names written in it. So, "Whos name is written in the book of life."

Polar

Apr 10, 2009
I would hate to be the one trying to split hairs with God if my name didn't appear in the book of life.Person: "But Lord, we WERE in a long-term, loving, committed relationship."God: "Why then, if you were in this 'long-term, loving, committed relationship' did you chose not to marry?"Person: "Ummmmm....we didn't feel led?"Good luck with that.

gunther

May 9, 2009
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My father told me when I was growing up that if I spent one night with a woman, I was married to her. It surprised me at first but then I began to see what he meant. If you share that part of yourself with someone, you are married to their past, and will always be part of them.

SoldierforChrist

Sep 21, 2008
My father told me when I was growing up that if I spent one night with a woman, I was married to her. It surprised me at first but then I began to see what he meant. If you share that part of yourself with someone, you are married to their past, and will always be part of them.
Well the point he was making does have some truth to it as far as you giving a part of yourself away. However, you are by no means married in God's eyes. You simply took part in the sin of fornication.

Polar

Apr 10, 2009
SoldierforChrist is correct.It is nothing more than fornication.Something I am sure Christ will point out to these people when they stand before Him.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
SoldierforChrist is correct.It is nothing more than fornication.Something I am sure Christ will point out to these people when they stand before Him.
If Jesus was to point out a sin to someone, He would become an accuser, then He would become like the enemy, who is the accuser, Christ forgives He does not accuse, that is the enemies job.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
If Jesus was to point out a sin to someone, He would become an accuser, then He would become like the enemy, who is the accuser, Christ forgives He does not accuse, that is the enemies job.
Um Christ pointed out a sin on an adulterous woman... At John 8:11, Christ told her to "go and sin no more". the word accuse in the bible itself is not a sin... it's FALSELY accuse that makes it a sin. Not being RIGHTLY accused.

Polar

Apr 10, 2009
I am with Jordan on this one, Mjrhealth.When those who have lived in sin stand before Jesus, he will tell them flat out that those sins they committed are the reason they will not joing him in heaven. He will then tell them, "Depart from me, you cursed ones, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels."