Is adding salt to your food good during heat spells?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

liafailrock

Jul 4, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, it's a good idea to add salt. The present recommendation of salt (especially for those who are out in the heat and activity) is too low between 1-2+ grams a day should be over double that even as high as 5-6 grams. However, table salt is refined salt, akin to refining flour and stripping out other nutrients while adding a token mineral such as Iodine back into the mix So Sea Salt (and similar) is better natural salt containing about 90% NaCl and 10% other minerals such as Mg in various amounts. It's a bit hard to overdo the salt if one is healthy and has normal kidney etc function. The body will regulate salt well. An untold story that I suspect they don't want you to hear much is that soldiers who were out in the heat training and sweat excessively were given salt tablets. After all, I hate to see salt deficiency running wild cutting back on where most people need not do - that can affect the heart.

Reactions: dev553344

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
How do you refine salt? I think that this is a furphy. The only thing that is altered with salt, other than adding iodine, is to grind the salt to form salt crystals of a uniform small size so that it pours better from a saltshaker.

Reactions: David in NJ

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How do you refine salt? I think that this is a furphy. The only thing that is altered with salt, other than adding iodine, is to grind the salt to form salt crystals of a uniform small size so that it pours better from a saltshaker.
what!

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
However, table salt is refined salt, akin to refining flour and stripping out other nutrients while adding a token mineral such as Iodine back into the mix So Sea Salt (and similar) is better natural salt containing about 90% NaCl and 10% other minerals such as Mg in various amounts. It's a bit hard to overdo the salt if one is healthy and has normal kidney etc function.

Flour is milled and to produce White Flour, the husk of the wheat seed is separated from the milled flour.

Salt on the other hand is ground, to produce small salt grains so that it flows better. It is not refined nor can other nutrients be stripped out of the salt. To do so one would require the salt to be dissolved in water and the mineral impurities removed chemically. Since these mineral impurities are not harmful, nor change the flavour etc. of the food, they are left in the table and cooking salt. In Australia even the Cooking salt, with a coarser grain, has iodine added to it.

The following article outlines the health benefits of adding iodine to the salt sold for cooking purposes.

Iodine Deficiency Can Cause Serious Symptoms
A deficiency in iodine can cause a long list of symptoms that range from mildly uncomfortable to severe to even dangerous.​
Among the most common symptoms is a type of swelling in the neck known as a goiter.​
Your thyroid gland uses iodine to produce thyroid hormones. However, when your body doesn’t have enough of it, your thyroid gland is forced to go into overdrive to try to compensate and make more hormones.​
This causes the cells in your thyroid to rapidly multiply and grow, resulting in a goiter​
A decrease in thyroid hormones can also lead to other adverse effects, such as hair loss, fatigue, weight gain, dry skin and increased sensitivity to cold.​
Iodine deficiency may cause serious issues in children and pregnant women as well. Low levels of iodine can cause brain damage and severe problems with mental development in children.​
What’s more, it may also be associated with a higher risk of miscarriages and stillbirth.​

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Flour is milled and to produce White Flour, the husk of the wheat seed is separated from the milled flour.

Salt on the other hand is ground, to produce small salt grains so that it flows better. It is not refined nor can other nutrients be stripped out of the salt. To do so one would require the salt to be dissolved in water and the mineral impurities removed chemically. Since these mineral impurities are not harmful, nor change the flavour etc. of the food, they are left in the table and cooking salt. In Australia even the Cooking salt, with a coarser grain, has iodine added to it.

The following article outlines the health benefits of adding iodine to the salt sold for cooking purposes.

A deficiency in iodine can cause a long list of symptoms that range from mildly uncomfortable to severe to even dangerous.​
Among the most common symptoms is a type of swelling in the neck known as a goiter.​
Your thyroid gland uses iodine to produce thyroid hormones. However, when your body doesn’t have enough of it, your thyroid gland is forced to go into overdrive to try to compensate and make more hormones.​
This causes the cells in your thyroid to rapidly multiply and grow, resulting in a goiter​
A decrease in thyroid hormones can also lead to other adverse effects, such as hair loss, fatigue, weight gain, dry skin and increased sensitivity to cold.​
Iodine deficiency may cause serious issues in children and pregnant women as well. Low levels of iodine can cause brain damage and severe problems with mental development in children.​
What’s more, it may also be associated with a higher risk of miscarriages and stillbirth.​
Oh, I see, what I get from the store is iodized salt. That is important. You don't want to buy just salt. It must be iodized in order to benefit from it. The stores here in the USA sell both.

liafailrock

Jul 4, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Yes, well then maybe the table salt is mined elsewhere (vs sea salt often by evaporation)? I know it's too harsh taken as is due to the other minerals that somehow buffer it. In other words, the reason they don't use that for saline solutions in the medical world. I take amino acid chelated iodine so it should not be a problem with me anyway. That (and any other mineral) absorbs better than just taking I, Fe, Mg in its elemental form.

Last edited:

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
#1 - i do not know what foods you are eating

#2 - Many food products we buy at the Grocery stores have adequate salt.

#3 - ONLY increase salt intake if you are sweating a lot and/or you drinking a lot of water, as this removes salt from your body.

#4 - Low salt in your body - Hyponatremia - Symptoms and causes

#5 - High salt in your body - What Happens If You Eat Too Much Salt?

#6 - WHAT ARE YOUR SYMPTOMS ??????

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
#1 - i do not know what foods you are eating

#2 - Many food products we buy at the Grocery stores have adequate salt.

#3 - ONLY increase salt intake if you are sweating a lot and/or you drinking a lot of water, as this removes salt from your body.

#4 - Low salt in your body - Hyponatremia - Symptoms and causes

#5 - High salt in your body - What Happens If You Eat Too Much Salt?

#6 - WHAT ARE YOUR SYMPTOMS ??????
This is an article for the hot spells that were and still are going on. It is assumed that a lot of people without air conditioning will be drinking lots of water and sweating, which will deplete their electrolytes.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is an article for the hot spells that were and still are going on. It is assumed that a lot of people without air conditioning will be drinking lots of water and sweating, which will deplete their electrolytes.

Thank you for this info.

YES, sweating and guzzling down water to stay cool causes our salt and other important minerals to become depleted.

IMPORTANT: We lose MINERALS when we sweat/drink lots of water in addition to salt.

Please look up MAGNESIUM and how IMPORTANT it is for our health = many people are 'magnesium deficient'

Low magnesium symptons = 7 Signs and Symptoms of Magnesium Deficiency

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for this info.

YES, sweating and guzzling down water to stay cool causes our salt and other important minerals to become depleted.

IMPORTANT: We lose MINERALS when we sweat/drink lots of water in addition to salt.

Please look up MAGNESIUM and how IMPORTANT it is for our health = many people are 'magnesium deficient'

Low magnesium symptons = 7 Signs and Symptoms of Magnesium Deficiency
Yes that is why I indicated electrolytes. A sports drink like Gatorade or Powerade is preferable that has sodium, magnesium and potassium. All three are important electrolytes that are perspired when we sweat.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You can also get potassium from potatoes, which also packs some magnesium, add salt to them and your good with straight water. Bananas are also a good source of potassium.

bluedragon

Aug 7, 2021
Birmingham, Al
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We took salt tablets until the introduction of Gatorade and later Power Ade.

I started Officiating Football in Florida at the age of 30. Typical day in August was 95 degrees with 95% humidity. That was typical until October 15th. We did ballgames in the morning and all day into the evening. The thing that saved me more than anything else. The beginning of each season .....the trainers and Doctors for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers held a seminar for our Association. I put away coke and soft drinks. Put away coffee and every other drink except tea and water .......You couldn't walk into my office and not see bottled water ......I drank more than a fish. In over 30 years of officiating, I never suffered cramps or felt like I was about to go down ..... I followed their plan ....

One season ... the first game ....3PM hottest part of the day, 97 that day. First play from the 20 yard line. Back takes the pitch and makes the corner, flag comes out and we go 80 yards untouched. I signaled TD, laughed and told him, let's go back, holding in the backfield. Ten yards for half the distance, 10 yard line, same play same turn 90 yards for the TD, same flag on the turn. We are trotting back .....I kidded him ....."I can keep up with you. But if we make the turn and I see the flag again.....I'll tackle you myself, I'm not going 95 yards." Back says "I'm tired, I'm going to the sideline." I thought ....."You get to rest, I've got to run the next plays."

If you've trained properly and hydrated properly ......no problem. Unfortunately, I discussed this at my younger brother's funeral. July, Alabama, working in the yard.....came in, told his wife he was going to take a shower and lay down for a while. The shock of the cold shower and laying down .....he never woke up. We have a lot of Doctors we went to school with. We all talked about what killed my brother. Angels got him a lot sooner than expected.

• Sad

Tomorrow

Aug 14, 2023
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you add salt to your diet make it sea salt, not regular table salt due to its aluminum content.

Natural electrolytes help replenish our body during hot spells. Watermelon, and its juice is one source for that. Coconut water, broccoli, nuts too.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ya there is a campaign against salt and sugar but you will die without enough of them. LOL
But there are sport drinks out there especially designed to supply what you need especially for activities in the heat.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you add salt to your diet make it sea salt, not regular table salt due to its aluminum content.

Natural electrolytes help replenish our body during hot spells. Watermelon, and its juice is one source for that. Coconut water, broccoli, nuts too.
Sea salt doesn't have the ability to supply the proper electrolytes. Iodized salt is what is required.

Reactions: Grailhunter

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Unfortunately, I discussed this at my younger brother's funeral. July, Alabama, working in the yard.....came in, told his wife he was going to take a shower and lay down for a while. The shock of the cold shower and laying down .....he never woke up. We have a lot of Doctors we went to school with. We all talked about what killed my brother.

Back in the early '90s a woman, I was on a committee with, always complained about being tried and often had a sleep during the day. This was before sleep apnoea was recognised as a disorder. She snored badly. She went and had an afternoon nap and did not wake up. It was said that she had had a heart attack and died.

Sleep apnoea is a potentially serious sleep disorder in which breathing repeatedly stops and starts. If a person snores there is the potential that the persons breathing is disrupted and they have repeated incidents where their breathing stops and they startle and then begin to breathe again. There are a number of reason/causes for sleep apnoea. It is hereditary in many cases, It also can be associated with being overweight. What happens when a person has multiple incidents of sleep apnoea, is that their oxygen concentrations in their blood becomes lower which can lead to heart muscle damage because the heart muscle is starved of oxygen while they sleep. When I did a sleep study my oxygen concentrations became dangerously low. This muscle damage can lead to fatal heart attacks while people are sleeping who have sleep apnoea.

In 1996 I was trying to discover why I was having micro sleeps during the day. I would fall asleep while driving, in the middle of a conversation with another person, it was not as well understood back then and today obtaining a driver's licences can be affected if the person has sleep apnoea that is not being treated. I have been on a CAPA machine since 1996. It has kept me alive and helped to protect my heart from further problems.

Now I am not suggesting that your brother did not die from heat stroke but taking a cold shower helps the body to dissipate the core body temperature rise associated with very high humidity and physical exertion. The air temperature often has little bearing on suffering from heat stroke whereas very high humidity limits the ability of the body to cool itself and a person becomes "sweaty." A breeze helps a person to cool down when they are sweating. Breathable clothing made from cotton and other natural fibres also aids the body to cool.

Often there are many contributing issues that act together to cause a person to die during high humidity weather patterns.

For me I monitor the number of sleep apnoeas that I have every night. My CAPA machine gives me a report on my sleep patterns every time that I use the machine. I soon discovered that I had to use the CAPA machine, even for an afternoon nap if i intend to lie down for a sleep.

But that is me and I accept that every other person has to discover what is causing them the health issues that they experience and follow the advice they are given from the experts.

Having a good and balanced salt/mineral regime is also important.

bluedragon

Aug 7, 2021
Birmingham, Al
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Back in the early '90s a woman, I was on a committee with, always complained about being tried and often had a sleep during the day. This was before sleep apnoea was recognised as a disorder. She snored badly. She went and had an afternoon nap and did not wake up. It was said that she had had a heart attack and died.

Sleep apnoea is a potentially serious sleep disorder in which breathing repeatedly stops and starts. If a person snores there is the potential that the persons breathing is disrupted and they have repeated incidents where their breathing stops and they startle and then begin to breathe again. There are a number of reason/causes for sleep apnoea. It is hereditary in many cases, It also can be associated with being overweight. What happens when a person has multiple incidents of sleep apnoea, is that their oxygen concentrations in their blood becomes lower which can lead to heart muscle damage because the heart muscle is starved of oxygen while they sleep. When I did a sleep study my oxygen concentrations became dangerously low. This muscle damage can lead to fatal heart attacks while people are sleeping who have sleep apnoea.

In 1996 I was trying to discover why I was having micro sleeps during the day. I would fall asleep while driving, in the middle of a conversation with another person, it was not as well understood back then and today obtaining a driver's licences can be affected if the person has sleep apnoea that is not being treated. I have been on a CAPA machine since 1996. It has kept me alive and helped to protect my heart from further problems.

Now I am not suggesting that your brother did not die from heat stroke but taking a cold shower helps the body to dissipate the core body temperature rise associated with very high humidity and physical exertion. The air temperature often has little bearing on suffering from heat stroke whereas very high humidity limits the ability of the body to cool itself and a person becomes "sweaty." A breeze helps a person to cool down when they are sweating. Breathable clothing made from cotton and other natural fibres also aids the body to cool.

Often there are many contributing issues that act together to cause a person to die during high humidity weather patterns.

For me I monitor the number of sleep apnoeas that I have every night. My CAPA machine gives me a report on my sleep patterns every time that I use the machine. I soon discovered that I had to use the CAPA machine, even for an afternoon nap if i intend to lie down for a sleep.

But that is me and I accept that every other person has to discover what is causing them the health issues that they experience and follow the advice they are given from the experts.

Having a good and balanced salt/mineral regime is also important.

He had been working in 97 degree temps and 95% humidity. Was not drinking fluids. Came in complaining of being tired, took a cold shower without stopping to regulate. Went into the man cave and went to sleep. An autopsy was not performed. Every Doctor reviewing his case .....felt the same. I know that no one has a 100% degree of accuracy about what what caused his death. However, I knew he had a tendency to not take fluids while he worked.

There are a lot of factors that cause this to occur. Not one is absolute. All three of us were athletes while in school. All three carried out our preferred pursuit of athleticism following marriage and expanding our careers. I'm the only one that was still running at the age of 55. (Chasing other people's children and husbands) I did Semi Pro football as well.