Is Christianity about being 'happy'?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
To have love to your neighbor. Who condemns you.
To have forgiveness of someone who has done you wrong.
To have mercy on those who do not deserve mercy.
To have patience with someone you do not have patience with.

I am not worried about my feelings @marks .

Philippians 3:10 I want to know Christ—yes, to know the power of his resurrection and participation in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death,
Lord, help me to love those who hate me.
Lord, help me to bless those who curse me.
Lord, help me to pray for those who mistreat me.
Lord, help me to give to those who take from me.

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I do love the words of Job: "Though He slay me, yet will I trust in Him" (Job 13.15).
You just reminded me of that song.... @Truman... that song happened on my BEST ever day in these forums.... the day you and I began to worship...

I will bow down and kiss the Son.....

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@farouk .... I know who you are... LOL... I was tagging Truman... but did not do it right.... That is what I get for talking to two people in one thread... LOL

Reactions: Truman and marks

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have not suffered for CHRIST as of yet... ( meaning I have not been persecuted against for my Christian faith. ) That is what I think of when one states suffering for Christ. I do see a time soon that this might become an issue... but in the WESTERN world... we have not known or seen SUFFERING for CHRIST.

I have however suffered much in my life... Severe Chronic Depression for decades... without much reprieve... or relief... little tiny pockets of joy here and there... but not really enough to keep me afloat with HOPE... God has sustained me all these years.... finally this summer... I received a downpouring of JOY.... overflowing... unstoppable JOY.... and when I say JOY... I mean JOY unspeakable... it's not happiness... it's not something that can be described with words even.... but it is a bubbling over of gratitude... thanksgiving... and the full surrender of letting God be God.

My healing has been a very slow and long journey... and I have been to every level of despair there is... Somehow... God waited till the very last moment to relieve me of my pain... It's all gone... all washed away... and I do not remember one second of suffering... It really is a supernatural event that has occurred in my life... I fail miserably at trying to explain it... Joy is way more powerful than happiness... as happiness is a fleeting emotion ... JOY is not. Joy is an attitude of gratitude... with full knowledge that God's will is ALWAYS good and that HE is always GOOD.

When I became convinced that God actually loves me.... that is when EVERYTHING changed...

Suffering for Christ... means... not compromising on my moral position/beliefs for anyone or anything... that time is soon to come I believe.

Thank you for sharing, Addy. Am glad that you have found the light of Jesus Christ in your life. You are right our Father is always good, a giver of good gifts. That is very true, an am right there along with you when you talk about these things.

Guess for me you know I understand what it is like to be joyful, and thankful in the spirit of Christ with you, and with the inner man/woman with-in you.

But that doesn't mean that the suffering has gone away; especially in the aspect of suffering to have Love for God and Love for Others. It is not an easy feature, and me personally still have trouble with it myself, in all honest response.

Reactions: Truman

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I do love the words of Job: "Though He slay me, yet will I trust in Him" (Job 13.15).
Let me try this again.... LOL.... Hi Farouk... What I was trying to say... is that your scripture reminded me of a song that Truman introduced me to some months back.... Instead of completing my words to you first and then tagging him... I did it improperly... so SORRY for the confusion..

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for sharing, Addy. Am glad that you have found the light of Jesus Christ in your life. You are right our Father is always good, a giver of good gifts. That is very true, an am right there along with you when you talk about these things.

Guess for me you know I understand what it is like to be joyful, and thankful in the spirit of Christ with you, and with the inner man/woman with-in you.

But that doesn't mean that the suffering has gone away; especially in the aspect of suffering to have Love for God and Love for Others. It is not an easy feature, and me personally still have trouble with it myself, in all honest response.
For me, the one answer here is to stay focused on Jesus Christ, His life in you, and your complete reconciliation to Him. This seems to answer to everything in my life, from overcoming temptation, enduring suffering, and loving others.

Much love!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
For me, the one answer here is to stay focused on Jesus Christ, His life in you, and your complete reconciliation to Him. This seems to answer to everything in my life, from overcoming temptation, enduring suffering, and loving others.

Much love!
@marks Hebrews 12.2: "Looking unto Jesus..."

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What about the idea of suffering? Is that a tenant in the bible to? To suffer on behalf of Christ?
Cannot taking up our cross include suffering?

"And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me." Matt 10:38

Can persecution include suffering?

"Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake
Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you." Matt 5:10-11

Should we not expect persecution?

"Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they have kept my saying, they will keep yours also." John 15:20

"And he went a little farther, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt." Matt 26:39

Jesus' cup included suffering through torture and death on the cross. What is our cup to be... persecution including suffering and death?

Here he speaks of the cup of James and of John:

"But Jesus answered and said, Ye know not what ye ask. Are ye able to drink of the cup that I shall drink of, and to be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with? They say unto him, We are able.
And he saith unto them, Ye shall drink indeed of my cup, and be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with: but to sit on my right hand, and on my left, is not mine to give, but it shall be given to them for whom it is prepared of my Father." Matt 20:22-23

Again, what is our cup to be? Will there be suffering? Will we be ready to go through if we must?

If we remain always on God's side, will we not bear along side of Him what He expects us to bear?

"What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?" Rom 8:31

Reactions: marks

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Feel as though you are harassing me now truly... Thank you Marks, please just stop.

Reactions: marks

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Cannot taking up our cross include suffering?

"And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me." Matt 10:38

Can persecution include suffering?

"Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake
Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you." Matt 5:10-11

Should we not expect persecution?

"Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they have kept my saying, they will keep yours also." John 15:20

"And he went a little farther, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt." Matt 26:39

Jesus' cup included suffering through torture and death on the cross. What is our cup to be... persecution including suffering and death?

Here he speaks of the cup of James and of John:

"But Jesus answered and said, Ye know not what ye ask. Are ye able to drink of the cup that I shall drink of, and to be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with? They say unto him, We are able.
And he saith unto them, Ye shall drink indeed of my cup, and be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with: but to sit on my right hand, and on my left, is not mine to give, but it shall be given to them for whom it is prepared of my Father." Matt 20:22-23

Again, what is our cup to be? Will there be suffering? Will we be ready to go through if we must?

If we remain always on God's side, will we not bear along side of Him what He expects us to bear?

"What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?" Rom 8:31

We can be against our own selves. We can walk away from faith.

You shared great verses. Though suffering is very much a reality. There are moments in time of suffering however; those are very encouraging verses though in times of suffering themselves Amadeus.

Reactions: amadeus

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Suffering as a Christian involves being patient with others.
Suffering as a Christian involves even letting other people have their own opinions and ideas as a believer in Christ.
Suffering as a Christian involves allowing people to have freedom to make their own choices in life.
Suffering as a Christian involves all of these things that pertain to humility and becoming lower than others, and that is a form of self denial that is where we could become over another or control the situation.
Suffering as a Christian involves forgiving, having mercy, longsuffering.

Long suffering. Maybe it just the word suffering that people do not like; because of - suffering - brings forth a negative and no one likes to think of negative things they always just like to look at the positive aspects

believe it is good to have the realty of both in the grip of your hand to really get a understanding of what is like to be a Christian; to have joy and hope but even so still be suffering in this fleshly body that will pass away.

It is not like that of depression or anything like that is just simply a realization of it. That is all.

Reactions: amadeus