Is Easter Biblical

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
The Word Easter is only used once in the KJV and translated Passover in the NIV and in neither case are we ever told to celebrate it as the resurection day of Christ. In fact we are told only that it was the feast of Passover The christain church tradition of celbrating Easter came about as false teaching from the early church. The pagans of the day celbrated fertility goddess Ishtar in the spring about the same time of year as Passover the church combined this pagan hoilidayand the Passover feast into one day and called it Easter.Why did they do this? Same reason they comprimise Gods word today it was easier to embrace this pagan holiday than to demand the pagans give up their Idol worshiping ways. It would increase their membership thus their power and money. Another example of how early the church/men started twisting and comprimising Gods word for their own ends. Acts 12:4And when he had apprehended him, he put him in prison, and delivered him to four quaternions of soldiers to keep him; intending after Easter to bring him forth to the people. (KJV)Acts 12:4 After Herod arrested Peter, he put him in prison. Peter was placed under guard. He was watched by four groups of four soldiers each. Herod planned to put Peter on public trial. It would take place after the Passover Feast. (NIV)

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
"Ishtar is a goddess of fertility, sexual love, and war. In the Babylonian pantheon, she "was the divine personification of the planet Venus".Ishtar was above all associated with sexuality: her cult involved sacred prostitution; her holy city Erech was called the "town of the sacred courtesans"; and she herself was the "courtesan of the gods". Ishtar had many lovers; however, as Guirand notes,woe to him whom Ishtar had honoured! The fickle goddess treated her passing lovers cruelly, and the unhappy wretches usually paid dearly for the favours heaped on them. Animals, enslaved by love, lost their native vigour: they fell into traps laid by men or were domesticated by them. 'Thou has loved the lion, mighty in strength', says the hero Gilgamesh to Ishtar, 'and thou hast dug for him seven and seven pits! Thou hast loved the steed, proud in battle, and destined him for the halter, the goad and the whip.'
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ishtar

Jon-Marc

Jun 8, 2007
Jacumba, CA
I don't know about other religions, but we Baptists don't celebrate Easter. We celebrate the resurrection of Jesus Christ on the Sunday that is called Easter, for without His resurrection we would have no hope.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
We are never told in the Bible to celbrate this Jon it is a man made holiday We are only told to celbrate Passover not the resurection no matter what you call it.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
Hence the reason why Christ was called our Passover Lamb. (I Corinthians 5:7)JagLovest thou in Christ Yahshua, Lord and Saviour of the world.

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
The formula for calculating Easter is similar to that used in the Jewish calendar. Hence, most years they coincide and Christians can turn a blind eye. However, every so often Easter and Passover differ by a month. That is the case this year. Easter falls on March 23, whereas Passover falls on April 20th. In that case, I opt for the Passover date, not to mention its a tad warmer in these parts.
biggrin.gif
"Easter" should really be called the feast of Firstfruits. Passover signified His death (Nisan 14), Unleavened Bread represented the sinless Son of God being interred (and we also came out of a life of sin) on Nissan 15. The Firstfruits happened on the "morrow after the Sabbath" on Nisan 18 and signified His resurrection---- the 50th day on the "morrow after the Sabbath" 7 weeks later came the harvest of the firstfruits, Pentecost. These 3 feasts (in Passover week) were celebrated together in OT times. These are found in Leviticus 23.

Thunder1

Dec 12, 2007
I'm celebrating Jesus every day as I know you do as well, does not matter for me what world celebrates on Easter or on Christmas. That's what the world is. We are these lights of Jesus for the world, some want to have what we have, some don't, can't help them.God can .

bullfighter

Jan 21, 2008
(kriss;33574)
The Word Easter is only used once in the KJV and translated Passover in the NIV and in neither case are we ever told to celebrate it as the resurection day of Christ. In fact we are told only that it was the feast of Passover The christain church tradition of celbrating Easter came about as false teaching from the early church. The pagans of the day celbrated fertility goddess Ishtar in the spring about the same time of year as Passover the church combined this pagan hoilidayand the Passover feast into one day and called it Easter.Why did they do this? Same reason they comprimise Gods word today it was easier to embrace this pagan holiday than to demand the pagans give up their Idol worshiping ways. It would increase their membership thus their power and money. Another example of how early the church/men started twisting and comprimising Gods word for their own ends. Acts 12:4And when he had apprehended him, he put him in prison, and delivered him to four quaternions of soldiers to keep him; intending after Easter to bring him forth to the people. (KJV)Acts 12:4 After Herod arrested Peter, he put him in prison. Peter was placed under guard. He was watched by four groups of four soldiers each. Herod planned to put Peter on public trial. It would take place after the Passover Feast. (NIV)
easter ,xmas tradition of man from the deep wroung .money makers they are and fill the young with makebelieve,no harm they say...it makes us all gay..just give me your money today,in dispair you will not lay,,just worship this mound of clay...

Jon-Marc

Jun 8, 2007
Jacumba, CA
(kriss;33659)
We are never told in the Bible to celbrate this Jon it is a man made holiday We are only told to celbrate Passover not the resurection no matter what you call it.
The Passover was a holiday given to the Jews because of the angel of death passing over them when God killed all the firstborn of the Egyptians. It wasn't given to non-Jews to celebrate.Whether we call it a celebration or something else, I believe we need to remember everything Jesus did for us, and that includes His death, burial, and resurrection. Only through Him can we have life eternal!

holdencaulfield

Feb 11, 2008
(kriss;33574)
Just, because the word Easter doesn't really appear in the Bible, does not make it un-Biblical. Of course Easter is Biblical.

DrBubbaLove

Jan 17, 2008
Easter is a feast of celebration. I am not sure how one could see celebrating Jesus Resurrection as a bad or pagan thing or against. Nor could we agree that any Christian (early or now) should not understand wanting to celebrate with great Joy the day He Arose. We have evidence the early Christians (1st century) honored this celebration, as well as commemorate (joy and sadness) His arrest and His Crucifixtion (what is now called Holy Thursday, Friday and Saturday). As to the origins of the term "Easter" and it's being applied to the Sunday of His Glorious Resurrection, am not sure why we care as long as the meaning is understood.Do you feel calling it "Easter" Sunday might confuse someone and be understood as a pagan rite or is the question why do it at all?

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
I want scriptures that say Easter is a holiday of Yahshua's resurrection...JagLovest thou in Christ Yahshua, Lord and Saviour of the world.

DrBubbaLove

Jan 17, 2008
hey, if you don't want to celebrate the Joyous Resurrection of our Lord then feel free, though am not sure why you would object. And we would think that God the Father would wonder why you would object to celebrating the glorious victory of His Son.If we need scripture to justify everything we do, then am not sure why we should stop with boycotting Easter. Why stop there?Where in the Bible does it tell us to have a shorter OT canon (or longer one)?Where in the Bible does it tell us to post of Christian forums?Where in the Bible does it give us an age of consent (if we believe in that)?Where in the Bible does it tell us that clothes we wear are ok to wear?Where in the Bible does it tell us to say a blessing before a meal (or not if you don't - and distinct from Communion)?Where in the Bible does it tell us it is ok to be non-denominational (or denominational if you are)?Where in the Bible does it tell us it is ok to be Republican?Where in the Bible does it tell you........oh you get the idea.Where in the Bible does it tell us to stop using our common sense?

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(DrBubbaLove;38104)
hey, if you don't want to celebrate the Joyous Resurrection of our Lord then feel free, though am not sure why you would object. And we would think that God the Father would wonder why you would object to celebrating the glorious victory of His Son.If we need scripture to justify everything we do, then am not sure why we should stop with boycotting Easter. Why stop there?Where in the Bible does it tell us to have a shorter OT canon (or longer one)?Where in the Bible does it tell us to post of Christian forums?Where in the Bible does it give us an age of consent (if we believe in that)?Where in the Bible does it tell us that clothes we wear are ok to wear?Where in the Bible does it tell us to say a blessing before a meal (or not if you don't - and distinct from Communion)?Where in the Bible does it tell us it is ok to be non-denominational (or denominational if you are)?Where in the Bible does it tell us it is ok to be Republican?Where in the Bible does it tell you........oh you get the idea.Where in the Bible does it tell us to stop using our common sense?
*sigh* God goes only by common sense, Men doesn't. Easter is what God hates due to the fact it is a pagan holiday, It is common sense that God hates everything pagan.JagLovest thou in Christ Yahshua, Lord and Saviour of the world.

Wayne Murray

Jan 15, 2007
Easter a brief historyThe name Easter comes to America from Ostera or Eostre, the Anglo-Saxon goddess of spring. The origin goes back to 2000 BC in Babylonia honoring the goddess of spring Ishtar. Ishtar the mother/wife of their god Tammuz brought him back from the underworld. In Phoenecia she became Astarte, in Greece Eostre, and in Germany Ostara. Consider also a Phrygian honoring Attis and Cybele or a heretic Israelite honoring the Canaanite Baal and Ashtoreth. All of these are fertility celebrations of death and resurrection.Easter in the King JamesActs 12:4 And when he had apprehended him, he put him in prison, and delivered him to four quaternions of soldiers to keep him; intending after Easter to bring him forth to the people. Easter G3957 pascha (pas'-khah) Of Chaldee origin (compare [H6453]); the Passover (the meal, the day, the festival or the special sacrifices connected with it): - Easter, Passover.H6453 pesach (peh'-sakh) From H6452; a pretermission, that is, exemption; used only technically of the Jewish Passover (the festival or the victim): - passover (offering).H6452 pasach (paw-sakh') A primitive root; to hop, that is, (figuratively) skip over (or spare); by implication to hesitate; also (literally) to limp, to dance: - halt, become lame, leap, pass over.The word Easter occurs in the King James Bible one time and is mistranslated. It should be translated Passover.The original PassoverExo.12:23-27 For the LORD will pass through to smite the Egyptians; and when He seeth the blood upon the lintel, and on the two side posts, the LORD will pass over the door, and will not suffer the destroyer to come in unto your houses to smite you. 24 And ye shall observe this thing for an ordinance to thee and to thy sons for ever. 25 And it shall come to pass, when ye be come to the land which the LORD will give you, according as He hath promised, that ye shall keep this service. 26 And it shall come to pass, when your children shall say unto you, What mean ye by this service? 27 That ye shall say, It is the sacrifice of the LORD'S Passover, who passed over the houses of the children of Israel in Egypt, when He smote the Egyptians, and delivered our houses. And the people bowed the head and worshipped. It is the sacrifice of the LORD'S Passover.Christ our PassoverI Cor.5:6-8 Your glorying is not good. Know ye not that a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump? 7 Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our Passover is sacrificed for us: 8 Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth. Christ our Passover is sacrificed for us.As with most Christian holidays, Easter has been secularized and commercialized. We have Easter bunnies, eggs, baskets, bonnets and parades. Knowing now the origins of Easter and the sacrifice Christ made for us; I am truly ashamed of country, family, and myself. We should not be celebrating Easter. We should be celebrating Christ our Passover with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth. What is your answer to a child who asks, “What mean ye by this service?”What about God, does He like what He sees and hears during this special time of year?

DrBubbaLove

Jan 17, 2008
(thesuperjag;38111)
*sigh* God goes only by common sense, Men doesn't. Easter is what God hates due to the fact it is a pagan holiday, It is common sense that God hates everything pagan.JagLovest thou in Christ Yahshua, Lord and Saviour of the world.
am trying to understand Jag. Are you suggesting God hates that we celebrate the victory of his Son's Resurrection or the name Easter? Actually it cannot be the later as you said holiday.So as this "holiday" is for Jesus, you believe that it is a pagan activity to celebrate the Son's victory. Can you elaborate on this please.

DrBubbaLove

Jan 17, 2008
(Wayne Murray;38115)
What is your answer to a child who asks, “What mean ye by this service?”What about God, does He like what He sees and hears during this special time of year?
My Parish does not have bunnies, chocolate or eggs during Holy Week. We have the Passion, the Stations of the Cross, the Cross and Easter Vigil. While I could see a case for suggesting a pagan connection to bunnies and eggs, I fail to see to the connection of the Passion, Stations of the Cross, the Veneration of the Cross, Easter Vigil...etc with paganism unless one is under the grossly mistaken impression that the worship of Jesus represents a pagan activity.And even where some Churches and even Catholic Parishes do have bunnies and egg hunts, I do not think the adults are doing it, it is for the children. The harm in that if there is any at all would be if the parent makes the occasion about nothing else for the child. In a Catholic Parish that would be difficult to get away with as there is so much more going on during Holy Week that an egg hunt could not be the only focus, unless the parent totally isolated the child from all other activities (and children) which would be odd indeed.If one stands in front of the Cross and kneels just to be seen, is that any better or worse than hunting for an egg? Before one can judge a person's heart in any activity one needs to know the person's heart. Something we do not really have access to. Claiming one knows what is or is not holy based on participation of an otherwise neutral act (egg hunt) alone and not knowing the heart is not something we should be engaged in.

bullfighter

Jan 21, 2008
(DrBubbaLove;38135)
My Parish does not have bunnies, chocolate or eggs during Holy Week. We have the Passion, the Stations of the Cross, the Cross and Easter Vigil. While I could see a case for suggesting a pagan connection to bunnies and eggs, I fail to see to the connection of the Passion, Stations of the Cross, the Veneration of the Cross, Easter Vigil...etc with paganism unless one is under the grossly mistaken impression that the worship of Jesus represents a pagan activity.And even where some Churches and even Catholic Parishes do have bunnies and egg hunts, I do not think the adults are doing it, it is for the children. The harm in that if there is any at all would be if the parent makes the occasion about nothing else for the child. In a Catholic Parish that would be difficult to get away with as there is so much more going on during Holy Week that an egg hunt could not be the only focus, unless the parent totally isolated the child from all other activities (and children) which would be odd indeed.If one stands in front of the Cross and kneels just to be seen, is that any better or worse than hunting for an egg? Before one can judge a person's heart in any activity one needs to know the person's heart. Something we do not really have access to. Claiming one knows what is or is not holy based on participation of an otherwise neutral act (egg hunt) alone and not knowing the heart is not something we should be engaged in.
easter,sunday sabbath ..its fooling you and you will to be fooled..stop the confustion in your mind you know the truth if god talks to you ..so god does talk to you then hear ...we are full of traditions of man ...i would like you to know truth the same you would like others to know truth...we are on the eve of gods wrath to the wicked 20,50 100 years we are so close ..what you stand for will be seen by others

DrBubbaLove

Jan 17, 2008
if others see me standing for and proclaiming a Passion, venerating the Cross, honoring the The Hours (Three hours of Agony or Liturgy of the Hours) and celebrating Jesus glorious Ressurection/Victory, then I am ok with that. Again I fail to see how any of that could ever be considered a bad thing.If someone wants to see those acts and ASSUME that I am doing something else (ie pagan worship) then the problem here is not mine, it would be theirs and it would be a judgement of their's against me. If they are ok with doing that and being seen by others judging people wrongly, then that is also their problem and not mine.

Jon-Marc

Jun 8, 2007
Jacumba, CA
(thesuperjag;38111)
Easter is what God hates due to the fact it is a pagan holiday, It is common sense that God hates everything pagan.Jag
Why is remembering and celebrating the resurrection of Jesus Christ "pagan"? Does that mean you believe His death and burial to be pagan too, or maybe you don't believe that He rose from the tomb?As I said, without His resurrection we would have no hope. His resurrection is definitely worth celebrating, for without it we would still be lost in our sins--forever. Without the resurrection it would mean that the Father didn't accept His death as sufficient payment for our redemption. Those of you who consider the resurrection of Jesus Christ to be pagan can just ignore Easter (or whatever one wants to call it). We generally call it Resurrection Sunday. I praise God for the resurrection of Jesus Christ! As far as I know, the Bible doesn't mention any of the holidays people celebrate. Maybe we should eliminate all of them. Then no one would have a three day weekend to enjoy.