Is Emmanuel another name of Jesus?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TrueVoice

Mar 14, 2008
Matthew 1:21-23She will bear a son and you are to name him Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins. All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had said through the prophet: "Behold, the virgin shall be with child and bear a son, and they shall name him Emmanuel." which means "God is with us."There seem to be a contradiction, a different name is actually given then the one mentioned in the prophecy. Please explain.

sevver

Dec 31, 2006
What version is that from? If I go to Bible Gateway and look it up it says that they will call him God with us. If I am not mistaken, the Angel told them to name him Jesus.Here is an interesting article on the history of Jesus' name. I will myself read it thoroughly in a bit. Thanks for asking this, I have often wondered about the origin of Jesus' name in English.Steve

TrueVoice

Mar 14, 2008
I used 'The New American Bible' version. NIV version is essentially the same, only they spell the name with an 'I' -- Immanuel. The word Jesus is the Latin form of the Greek Iesous, which in turn is the transliteration of the Hebrew Jeshua, or Joshua, or again Jehoshua, meaning "Jehovah is salvation." Both Emmanual and Jesus are great names worthy of a Messiah, but they are two different names. I wonder why the Angel instructed Mary to call her son Jesus if the prophecy calls for Emmanual? My guess is that perhaps Emmanuel -- God is with us -- in the prophecy in Isaiah's time was meant as somewhat of a title, not literally a name. The name Emmanuael is alluded to at the end of the gospel of Matthew where the Jesus assures his disciples of his continued presence, "...I am with you always, until the end of the age" (28:20). I am still conflicted and would like a better explanation if there is one.

Jackie D

Mar 15, 2008
quite frankly it doesn't bother me regarding the fact that there are different names. Peter was called the rock by Jesus. God changed Abram to Abraham, Saul to Paul...Jesus as you state is 'Jehovah is Salvation', and when he died and ascended He is still known as Jehovah is Salvation (the only way to God the Father is through Jehovah the Salvation) and when we have made it to our Jehovah, He is also Immanuel, God with us...Our Father has many different names as well...they still boil down to one and the same being, 'The Lord God Almighty, I Am'...

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Jackie is right thats exactly what it means but remember Mary was of Jewish decentand the Hebrew Language has no "J" they use a "Y" Yĕhowshuwa`is the root Wordprnounced yah -shoo-ah

zadzial

Mar 23, 2008
(TrueVoice;42722)
Matthew 1:21-23She will bear a son and you are to name him Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins. All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had said through the prophet: "Behold, the virgin shall be with child and bear a son, and they shall name him Emmanuel." which means "God is with us."There seem to be a contradiction, a different name is actually given then the one mentioned in the prophecy. Please explain.
In ancient times names were often given as representations of the hopes and dreams of the parents or even of recognition of divine assistance. Names in the Old Testament had understandable meanings. For example: Abram means "exalted father," but Abraham means "Father of a multitude."A prophecy of Jesus being "Immanuel" is dealing with him being God, the word, in flesh. This was fulfilled in the birth of Jesus when the Word, known as the Son, second person of the Trinity, became flesh. We call this the incarnation. When it came time to name the Lord, an angel the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream and told Joseph to call his new son "Jesus, for it is He who will save His people from their sins" (Matt. 1:21). The word "Jesus" means "Jehovah is salvation." This is appropriate since Jesus is Jehovah, second person of the Trinity, who became flesh and is our salvation.