Is God male?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is God male?

• No. The Holy Spirit is female, not male.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well it says in my KJV that God is called Father. What else more is there? Jesus for sure is a man and not a female. Now Barrd you know if it was good enough for Paul to call God "Father" it is good enough for me. You just go ahead and make like a good little woman and submit to this here teach in'! You hear?

Justajoking!

Reactions: KingJ

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
...following a Jewish carpenter...
justaname said:
Well it says in my KJV that God is called Father. What else more is there? Jesus for sure is a man and not a female. Now Barrd you know if it was good enough for Paul to call God "Father" it is good enough for me. You just go ahead and make like a good little woman and submit to this here teach in'! You hear?

Justajoking!
:lol: :D :lol:

That's why I love you, Justabrat...
:wub:

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
logabe said:
Steven Jones has some really good insight on why God revealed His Names @ certain periods of history.
Take a look @ it and see what you think when you have time.

http://www.gods-kingdom-ministries.net/teachings/books/old-and-new-covenant-marriage/chapter-1-god-as-male-and-female/

Logabe
Interesting site, Logabe.

I'm kinda stuck between "gender didn't exist until God created it" and "God is both male and female"...ya know what I mean? Kinda six of one and half dozen of the other...

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
logabe said:
Steven Jones has some really good insight on why God revealed His Names @ certain periods of history.
Take a look @ it and see what you think when you have time.

http://www.gods-kingdom-ministries.net/teachings/books/old-and-new-covenant-marriage/chapter-1-god-as-male-and-female/

Logabe
Good article, but God is spirit, so has no gender. The writer simply states; "This is because God is both male and female.", but supplies no exegesis for his opinion. Obviously, He created man & woman so that they would pro-create as He commanded. As God created all life, He knew best how it would grow/multiply. The only feasible 'image' had to be His overall tripartite image, which we as humans are, body, soul and spirit.

logabe

Aug 28, 2008
The Barrd said:

I'm kinda stuck between "gender didn't exist until God created it" and "God is both male and female"...ya know what I mean? Kinda six of one and half dozen of the other...
Yes... we have to look @ it in a spiritual sense, because it becomes confusing when we look @ it in the flesh.

Logabe

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The Barrd said:

The Barrd,

'God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in the Spirit and in truth' (John 4:24 NIV).

Where in Scripture does it state that a spirit has gender?

B

brakelite

StanJ said:
Good article, but God is spirit, so has no gender. The writer simply states; "This is because God is both male and female.", but supplies no exegesis for his opinion. Obviously, He created man & woman so that they would pro-create as He commanded. As God created all life, He knew best how it would grow/multiply. The only feasible 'image' had to be His overall tripartite image, which we as humans are, body, soul and spirit.
Actually Stan, I gotta answer you now that you've brought it up 3 times. Genesis says that God breathed into man the spirit of life, and man became a living soul. So man is a soul, he doesn't have a soul. At least according to Genesis 2:7. But then, maybe your NIV says different.
I can see this thread going off topic very rapidly from now on. Better not upset the barrd, so I will leave it at that.

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
brakelite said:
Actually Stan, I gotta answer you now that you've brought it up 3 times. Genesis says that God breathed into man the spirit of life, and man became a living soul. So man is a soul, he doesn't have a soul. At least according to Genesis 2:7. But then, maybe your NIV says different.
I can see this thread going off topic very rapidly from now on. Better not upset the barrd, so I will leave it at that.
From the ESV...

then the LORD God formed the man of dust from the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living creature. - Genesis 2:7

To speak on topic though...

Spirit has no gender...Jesus does.

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Stan,
That's your tripartite understanding of human nature. There are many who are bipartite. I consider that the issues need more exposition than your one-liner.
I would consider myself to be bipartite in my understanding as well. I find that spirit and soul are often used interchangably in Scripture. However, I didnt want to derail the conversation on this topic. Maybe we can start a separate thread on this topic. It would be interesting to explore.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
brakelite said:
Heb 4:12 will help with that, but yes the NIV does say 'living being'. The problem with the KJV is that it uses 'soul' out of the Biblical context.
It says in Ezek 18:20; "The soul that sinneth, it shall die", when we know our actual soul does no die. Many who don't believe in hell use this to try and prove their dogma, but they misuse it as that is NOT what is conveyed in the Hebrew or the LXX. All the more reason why I STRONGLY advocate using a functionally equivalent translation like the NIV, or even the NASB OR NRSV.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ok, I'm discussing. And not buying into the PC BS. God always identified himself as male. Even if you believe in the trinity, its always male.

God created Adam, male and female. Genesis 5 says he created a man and called their name Adam. But god created a man!

The church ofGod is his bride (the woman) and is the weaker vessel. Yet, the weakness if God is stronger than men. A destroyer is a weaker vessel compared to the battleship, yet serves it and does great damage in its service.

God is the nan, the wonan is the church, and is in subjection to god (this is true, but some don't believe God's Word).

Being a woman has great honor and respisibility. Some aren't up to the task

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
FHII said:
Ok, I'm discussing. And not buying into the PC BS. God always identified himself as male. Even if you believe in the trinity, its always male.
God created Adam, male and female. Genesis 5 says he created a man and called their name Adam. But god created a man!
The church ofGod is his bride (the woman) and is the weaker vessel. Yet, the weakness if God is stronger than men. A destroyer is a weaker vessel compared to the battleship, yet serves it and does great damage in its service.
God is the nan, the wonan is the church, and is in subjection to god (this is true, but some don't believe God's Word).
To clarify, Christ is the head of the church, and His bride will be the NEW Jerusalem. Eph 5:23 & Rev 21:19

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
FHII said:

Wow.
A very aggressive approach, FHII.
Appropriate, however, for the male of the species :p .

(Is there such a thing as a "masculist"?)

(Ooh, ooh, I just thought of this! If a feminist burns her bra...what does a masculist burn?)

I honestly expected a few more votes for "God is a male"....but it looks like you're the only one, FHII.
And nobody chose God is female... :wacko:

EDIT:
On second thought, I don't think I want to know what a masculist might burn... :eek:

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

These are metaphors, FHII. God is also called a "rock" and a "strong tower" and a "flaming fire" and so forth. Does this mean God is made out of stone? Does it mean that God is hot to touch? Of course not. Taking metaphors to draw literal conclusions ends up in absurd images of God that were never intended. God is beyond his creation and to use created things as a means of quantifying his existence leads to idolatry. You should note God also refers to himself as in a maternal way (Is. 66:13; Matt. 23:37). None of these images are intended to make God gender specific. Pretty much every description of God stretches language to create concepts of power, glory, judgment, strength, steadfastness, love, compassion, immutability, and so forth. In other words, they portray qualities and they are not to quantify. Yes, Jesus was a man. However, to portray the Spirit of God as having reproductive organs and gender like a human being is really a misuse of metaphor and its intent in the Bible.

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I honestly expected a few more votes for "God is a male"....but it looks like you're the only one, FHII.
Is there a point you are trying to make with this? Why the consternation that none would choose God as female and one person would say God is male?

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
Wormwood said:
Is there a point you are trying to make with this? Why the consternation that none would choose God as female and one person would say God is male?
You misunderstand me, WW. There is no "consternation".
I didn't really expect anyone to answer that God is female...but I am a little surprised that only one person answered that God is male.
Of course, only eight people have voted, so that isn't really much of a sample.

Relax, WW....I'm good. I'm smiling, here.
:) :p B) :D
See?

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Wormwood said:
She's a pot stirrer. In my world she would we called a S___ D________!

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Barrd said:
Wow.
A very aggressive approach, FHII.
Appropriate, however, for the male of the species :p .

(Is there such a thing as a "masculist"?)

(Ooh, ooh, I just thought of this! If a feminist burns her bra...what does a masculist burn?)

EDIT:
On second thought, I don't think I want to know what a masculist might burn... :eek:
Men aren't usually stupid in that we aren't going to burn something that gives us support!