Is God male?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is God male?

• No. The Holy Spirit is female, not male.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wormwood said:
These are metaphors, FHII. God is also called a "rock" and a "strong tower" and a "flaming fire" and so forth. Does this mean God is made out of stone? Does it mean that God is hot to touch? Of course not. Taking metaphors to draw literal conclusions ends up in absurd images of God that were never intended. God is beyond his creation and to use created things as a means of quantifying his existence leads to idolatry. You should note God also refers to himself as in a maternal way (Is. 66:13; Matt. 23:37). None of these images are intended to make God gender specific. Pretty much every description of God stretches language to create concepts of power, glory, judgment, strength, steadfastness, love, compassion, immutability, and so forth. In other words, they portray qualities and they are not to quantify. Yes, Jesus was a man. However, to portray the Spirit of God as having reproductive organs and gender like a human being is really a misuse of metaphor and its intent in the Bible.
I know they are metaphors wormwood. Now go back and read what I said. God identifies himself as a male. In the bible he's referred to as he or him. He even listed 3 wives of his.

The church or body of Christ is one of them. Its identified as female. Obviously a body of believers isn't a female, but its role and identity is female in nature.

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
FHII said:
God identifies himself as a male. In the bible he's referred to as he or him. He even listed 3 wives of his.
The church or body of Christ is one of them. Its identified as female. Obviously a body of believers isn't a female, but its role and identity is female in nature.
You're definitely gonna need to qualify this because I don't agree

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
FHII said:
I know they are metaphors wormwood. Now go back and read what I said. God identifies himself as a male. In the bible he's referred to as he or him. He even listed 3 wives of his.

I carefully read what you wrote the first time. You cannot have your cake and eat it too. You are agreeing they are metaphors, but then backtrack by saying the "identity" of the church is "female in nature." No, metaphors have nothing to do with "identity" any more than God being called a "rock" suggests his "identity" should be related to that of a stone. We use personal pronouns for God because God is a person. He is not an "it." However, we use the masculine gender because God uses it (likely because of the headship role of males) and not because God is a male. As you point out, the church is identified by the female gender because of how we relate to Christ. So, in that regard you are right. But again, this has nothing to do with "identity." The "Church" is a collection of people with both genders and is not exclusively female. The female designation has nothing to do with identity but with our relationship with Christ. In the same way, masculine pronouns for God has nothing to do with God's identity or that he is a male or has sexuality for procreating. It has to do with how we relate to this transcendent being that stands above and beyond all of creation.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nice song and dance show Wormwood. Best I can make of it is that you are saying I'm both right and wrong for the same reason.

And I can have my cake and eat it too. If I have it, I can eat it. But I can't eat it and have it too. Unless I only eat half of it and save the other half. Then soneone can have my cake and eat it too. But I don't like sharing! No cake for you!

If you thought that was confusing and convoluted, thats pretty much what I thought of your post.

Its a deep and philosophical question. Not easily answered and I acknowledge that God has both feminine and masculine trsits, for lack of a better term. This is just my philosophy and won't debate it as doctrine, but sometimes I think there are things just not explainable with human language. This may be one of them and God's just working within the confines of human language.

Jesus was god, right? He was man, right? God is the father, right? No doubt! Its a deep topic, but I stand by wgat I said in that God's identity is male. I'm not saying he's a man only... Just saying that everything Iin the bible suggests he was watching tge football game last Sunday and drinking beer instead of waiting to see how funny the commercials were and drinking wine coolers.

(Yea... have fun with that one! My gift to you!)

Reactions: KingJ

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
...following a Jewish carpenter...
FHII said:
Men aren't usually stupid in that we aren't going to burn something that gives us support!
Oh, I don't know about that. I've watched a few burn their bridges...
One of these days, I will tell you about my kid brother...the atheist. Oh, and self-proclaimed "god". Yeah, you read that right...

He is quite sure that he is the child of incest between my mother and her brother.

Frankly, I'd rather burn my bra. And, being as I'm now 65 years old...well, I'm sure I don't have to explain...

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, make sure you take it off before you burn it.

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And I can have my cake and eat it too. If I have it, I can eat it. But I can't eat it and have it too. Unless I only eat half of it and save the other half. Then soneone can have my cake and eat it too. But I don't like sharing! No cake for you!
Do you write Dr. Suess books in your spare time? Lol.

Nice song and dance show Wormwood. Best I can make of it is that you are saying I'm both right and wrong for the same reason.
Im saying youre right in your agreement that these are metaphors and those metaphors indicate roles and so forth. I am saying that you are wrong in saying those roles indicate "identity." God acts as a "rock" in our lives, but that does not mean his identity has anything to do with a rock. Metaphor has nothing to do with our identity. When Jesus spoke of Herod as "that fox" he was not using the metaphor to speak of Herod's identity...he was using it to speak of his character/nature. I think there is a big difference. God the Father is not a male/man. He is Spirit and is without gender. The masculine personal pronoun is a metaphor and is not intended to teach us about God's reproductive capacities. Such a notion is nonsense.

If you thought that was confusing and convoluted, thats pretty much what I thought of your post.
You can ask clarifying questions if you feel I said something that was not communicated well. I wont be offended. I recognize I am not always the clearest communicator.

Its a deep and philosophical question. Not easily answered and I acknowledge that God has both feminine and masculine trsits, for lack of a better term. This is just my philosophy and won't debate it as doctrine, but sometimes I think there are things just not explainable with human language. This may be one of them and God's just working within the confines of human language.
I dont disagree with you. I just would not answer the poll about God's gender as saying, Yes, God is a male. That is why we call him Father.

Jesus was god, right? He was man, right? God is the father, right? No doubt! Its a deep topic, but I stand by wgat I said in that God's identity is male. I'm not saying he's a man only... Just saying that everything Iin the bible suggests he was watching tge football game last Sunday and drinking beer instead of waiting to see how funny the commercials were and drinking wine coolers.
Jesus is God, yes. However, Jesus is also fully man and this speaks of his dual natures and we should be cautious not to combine the two. Jesus was not 50/50 Godman. He was 100% God and 100% man. His divine nature is not to be confused with his human nature as a man. Again, the term "God the Father" or "the Son of God" speaks metaphorically of the persons of the triune Godhead. People like the JWs take these metaphors literally and thereby conclude that Jesus as the "son of God" was begotten and therefore is not an eternal being. In sum, we should not take these designations too concretely or they lead to all kinds of false ideas about who God is and who Jesus is.

P.S., I like to think God is a Chiefs fan and that he quit watching when they lost to NE in the playoffs :).

Reactions: KingJ

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
StanJ said:
She's a pot stirrer. In my world she would we called a S___ D________!
Stan,

To speak of any person in this kind of pejorative language is not becoming of a Christian believer. No matter what you think of her views, The Barrd should never be addressed in this kind of profane manner.

Why are you using language like this towards her? I urge you to quit it immediately. It does not enhance your Christian witness and sanctification.

What did Jesus say?
34 “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35 By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another" (John 13:34-35 NIV).
Does your language towards The Barrd fit into this command? I think not. What are you going to do to fix it?

Oz

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God is an Angels fan cause.... well ya know! God is a Padres fan cause he is the Father. He is a Detroit Lions fan because is is the lion of the tribe of Judah. And the bible says he doesn't forsake the Saints.

But I'm convinced he's not a Cub fan like me.

Ok. I get what you are saying Wormwood. But I still hold to that he is identified as male for the purposes of trying to show us who he is. Perhaps it isn't importantvto assign gender, but reading Eph 4 and proverbs [can't remember the chapter about a good woman] tells me his roll and ours, both as sons of God and his bride.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
OzSpen said:
To speak of any person in this kind of pejorative language is not becoming of a Christian believer. No matter what you think of her views, The Barrd should never be addressed in this kind of profane manner.
Why are you using language like this towards her? I urge you to quit it immediately. It does not enhance your Christian witness and sanctification.
What did Jesus say?
Does your language towards The Barrd fit into this command? I think not. What are you going to do to fix it?
I really do appreciate your attempt to bring peace here my friend, but your definition of profane is a tad skewed. I know who I am in Christ and I do my best to deal with posers. It may not be your way, but as has been cleary established your way is not mine, nor does it seem to mitigate how the Barrd ultimately responds to you or me. Like I said before, let the mods do their job.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
StanJ said:
I really do appreciate your attempt to bring peace here my friend, but your definition of profane is a tad skewed. I know who I am in Christ and I do my best to deal with posers. It may not be your way, but as has been cleary established your way is not mine, nor does it seem to mitigate how the Barrd ultimately responds to you or me. Like I said before, let the mods do their job.
Stan,

You have not addressed the issue I raised when you say about her, 'In my world she would we called a S___ D________!', it is using profane language.

What is profane? I am using it in the sense of one of the Merriam-Webster dictionary meanings: 'to debase by a wrong, unworthy, or vulgar use'.

I find what you stated above about The Barrd to be wrong, unworthy or vulgar use of language towards a Christian woman.

Oz

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
OzSpen said:
Stan,

You have not addressed the issue I raised when you say about her, 'In my world she would we called a S___ D________!', it is using profane language.

What is profane? I am using it in the sense of one of the Merriam-Webster dictionary meanings: 'to debase by a wrong, unworthy, or vulgar use'.

I find what you stated above about The Barrd to be wrong, unworthy or vulgar use of language towards a Christian woman.

Oz
My answer remains the same Oz....in MY world, this is NOT profane. None of the Webster connotations apply here. If you want to be a mod, apply for the position.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
FHII said:
God is an Angels fan cause.... well ya know! God is a Padres fan cause he is the Father. He is a Detroit Lions fan because is is the lion of the tribe of Judah. And the bible says he doesn't forsake the Saints.
Ok. I get what you are saying Wormwood. But I still hold to that he is identified as male for the purposes of trying to show us who he is. Perhaps it isn't important to assign gender, but reading Eph 4 and proverbs [can't remember the chapter about a good woman] tells me his roll and ours, both as sons of God and his bride.
One of the biggest reasons for this is that Hebrew only has two genders, but as I pointed out before, Elohyim is a feminine plural noun.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
StanJ said:
My answer remains the same Oz....in MY world, this is NOT profane. None of the Webster connotations apply here. If you want to be a mod, apply for the position.
This is something you won't hear me say very often, but I agree with Stan.
(I'm gonna have to wash my mouth out with soap, later :( )

Oz would make a terrific mod! Who else agrees with me?

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
StanJ said:
Stan,

I'll leave it to the moderators to take action. However, I found your language towards The Barrd to be rude and crude.

Oz

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
FHII said:

Ok. I get what you are saying Wormwood. But I still hold to that he is identified as male for the purposes of trying to show us who he is. Perhaps it isn't importantvto assign gender, but reading Eph 4 and proverbs [can't remember the chapter about a good woman] tells me his roll and ours, both as sons of God and his bride.
Haha, well I think he is certainly a Royals fan! He is royalty and this past WS was a delight to my heart! At least the Cubs are starting to become relevant. I think their offseason moves will make them a shot this year!

Proverbs 31 :). Certainly, I do think the label indicates roles and I think those roles are significant and reflect how we should interact. I personally believe a big reason our churches and homes are suffering with such dysfunction is because we have abandoned the concept of roles which God has given us to reflect His relationship with us and our submission to Him. Submission, it seems, has become a dirty word in our culture and amongst Christians these days.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
God, sitting in front of the television with an empty pizza box, a crumpled bag of chips, and a six pack on the coffee table in front of Him with four beers gone from it...three empties on the floor by His feet and the fourth in His hand and running down His beard to His shirt...

Even as we watch, there is the sound of a loud belch.

No, fellas....I just can't see it.