Is healing in Jesus' name evidence of authenticity?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mr C

Jul 9, 2020
America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was having a discussion with someone close to me the other day. The claim that was put forward was this:

If someone in ministry prays for someone else to get healed in the name of Jesus - and that person is healed - that the person could only be healed in Jesus name if that's what was prayed - and therefore it is evidence of a persons ministry being authentic.

My perspective (which may be quite wrong which is why I raise it here) - is that this is a dangerous precedence to set to know if the ministry is authentic or not. The scripture that was in my mind was Matthew 7:22 - "Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?"

My current understanding is that using signs and wonders to discern a persons ministry as being authentic is a poor standard, and that the scriptures should be our foundation reference point. Signs and wonders is what we will see in the end from the anti-christ and his minions.

I have heard others mention that the Holy Spirit will tell them if a ministry is authentic, but even in this I have concerns - because from the same group of people I hear many make claims they've heard from the Holy Spirit that contradict each other - all convinced that the voice they've heard is God's and everyone else is wrong.

Would you disagree with my concerns that making the statement above is dangerous and can set people up for deception, and if so can you please help me see this (from scripture). :)

(1Cor. 2:4) (Acts 6:6 ; 8:18,19) help tp prove no one today can do miracles. It was only by the laying on of the APOSTLES hands that the gifts were passed from one person to another.

Since that is true what happens when those apostles died? (1Cor. 13:8-10) (Zech. 13:1,2) (Eph. 4:11-15).

Miracles ceased.

Mr C

Jul 9, 2020
America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Miracles had a PURPOSE in the first century.

To CONFIRM the word of God and the person speaking was approved of God.(Heb.2;3,4) (Mark 16:20)

The reason there is so much confusion on this subject today is b/c people did not learn this fundamental lesson long ago. Miracles were to get people attention and direct their attention towards God and His word.

They had no bibles in the first century but if a man walked up to you and done a notable miracle like in (Acts 4:16) you would listen to him and like Nicodemus you would say GOD must be with you (Jn 3:2).

Since miracles confirmed the word already there is no need for the word to be confirmed again. Today we test (or try) what people teach by opening the bible and seeing what God said on a particular subject (Acts 17:11) (Jn 5:39).

(1Jn 4:1) - believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

Last edited:

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many of them, both Jews and Gentiles, went and learned, listened to TORAH (SCRIPTURE) every Shabbat.

They memorized it a lot more than people do today, and repeated it often, meditating on TORAH as GOD SAYS TO DO.