Is it ok for a man to pray while wearing a head covering? Paul told the Corinthians it was NOT ok.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If I were a cynical man, I would think Paul was trying to differentiate his Gentile followers of Jesus from our Jewish cousins whose men traditionally wear a head covering (e.g. a yarmulke) while praying.

If I honor God with praise and thanksgiving while wearing a Stetson, does it matter if my head is dishonored?
Absolutely not! God doesn't care about what your head covering (or lack of it is). God looks at the heart, not the head.

BTW, I'm not sure if Jews of Paul's time wore yarmulkes or not.

Reactions: Lambano and Nancy

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Clearly not everything Paul wrote was a command from the Lord. In the case of what he wrote regarding appropriate dress in Corinth, I maintain that it was cultural. If you don't agree that isn't important to me.
I fully understand that. Now show that when Paul said head coverings was for all the churches of God- He was just offering an opinion instead of what He said.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you trying to be contentious? I never said that Paul was making new laws I said just the opposite! Lying about my words is not desirable. If you think that Paul was writing a law to be followed for thousands of years in a society he never dreamt of, you are clearly misinformed.
REread your own post #255 then. for you said Paul was making new law. Never mind, here is the quote from your own typing:

In other words, Paul, who opposed the law, is now creating new law. LOL!
So I will accept your apology! I also said it was not a law but a teaching that ALL teh churches EVERYWHERE were following, not just Corinth. So if I am misinformed- please give teh historic data you seem to have that shows this was just meant for Corinth.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I fully understand that. Now show that when Paul said head coverings was for all the churches of God- He was just offering an opinion instead of what He said.
I repeat... Clearly not everything Paul wrote was a command from the Lord. In the case of what he wrote regarding appropriate dress in Corinth, I maintain that it was cultural.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
REread your own post #255 then. for you said Paul was making new law. Never mind, here is the quote from your own typing:

So I will accept your apology! I also said it was not a law but a teaching that ALL teh churches EVERYWHERE were following, not just Corinth. So if I am misinformed- please give teh historic data you seem to have that shows this was just meant for Corinth.
So clearly you don't understand "LOL". It is an acronym for Laugh Out Loud. If you quote someone, you should not take what they wrote out of context. That is dishonest! I won't accept your apology, as you are being intentionally deceptive.

And it is not my responsibility to teach you how to interpret Scripture.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I repeat... Clearly not everything Paul wrote was a command from the Lord. In the case of what he wrote regarding appropriate dress in Corinth, I maintain that it was cultural.
And I am asking what evidence do you have to conclude that!

Paul did say this:

1 Corinthians 11:16
But if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God.

No where in the topic does Paul say he is offering just an opinion.

He does say it is something practiced in all the churches of God, not just Corinth.

So what do you have to cause you to draw your conclusion?

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So clearly you don't understand "LOL". It is an acronym for Laugh Out Loud. If you quote someone, you should not take what they wrote out of context. That is dishonest! I won't accept your apology, as you are being intentionally deceptive.

And it is not my responsibility to teach you how to interpret Scripture.
No I am not being intentioally deceptive. another of your bearing false witness.

so you come on this thread, make your claims and then refuse to back them up with evidence? Okay then- you are on the do not take this one serious list.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And I am asking what evidence do you have to conclude that!

Paul did say this:

1 Corinthians 11:16
But if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God.

No where in the topic does Paul say he is offering just an opinion.

He does say it is something practiced in all the churches of God, not just Corinth.

So what do you have to cause you to draw your conclusion?
My understanding of when, where, and why Paul wrote his instructions to the Corinthians. Paul was clearly opposed to the written law, so why would he be creating a new law, especially one that applies to a culture that no longer exists?

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No I am not being intentioally deceptive. another of your bearing false witness.

so you come on this thread, make your claims and then refuse to back them up with evidence? Okay then- you are on the do not take this one serious list.
This is not a court of law and you are not my judge. I will write whatever I want. If I am on your "do not take this one serious list", that is an honor.

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
11 Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ
Paul has given a direct command here.
Paul is not saying to follow him but to follow God i.e. that is working through him.

What Paul speaks he speaks with Gods authority.
Paul is Inspired. God chose him as Gods spoke piece.
Paul was commanded by Jesus to...
Matthew 28:20,
- teaching them to observe ALL things whatsoever I have commanded you and lo I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world Amen

Acts 1:8,
- but ye shall receive power after that the Holy Spirit is come upon you and ye shall be witnesses unto Me both in Jerusalem and in all Judea and in Samaria and unto the uttermost part of the earth

What Paul says is Inspired.
Paul did not say "be ye followers of me as I also am of Christ if you want to"
Paul was commanding them to imitate Christ by following Paul's Inspired teaching.

But if you read the passage carefully- the passage says it was a teaching, not just for Corinth, but for all the churches. why you refuse to acknowledge that is a mystery
Correct

1 Corinthians 11​

King James Version​

11 Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.
2 Now I praise you, brethren, that ye remember me in all things, and keep the ordinances, as I delivered them to you.
3 But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.
4 Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head.
5 But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.
6 For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.
7 For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man.
8 For the man is not of the woman: but the woman of the man.
9 Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man.
10 For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels.
11 Nevertheless neither is the man without the woman, neither the woman without the man, in the Lord.
12 For as the woman is of the man, even so is the man also by the woman; but all things of God.
13 Judge in yourselves: is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered?
14 Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?
15 But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.
16 But if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God.

Paul wrote a simple instruction. It is man who complicates it because they do not like that it may not
Christs law. All are under all must obey.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My understanding of when, where, and why Paul wrote his instructions to the Corinthians. Paul was clearly opposed to the written law, so why would he be creating a new law, especially one that applies to a culture that no longer exists?
Paul was not opposed to the written Law in several places he called it good and holy. He did not create a new law. He was passing on what teh practices of ALL the churches EVERYWHERE in Jewish, Greek, Roman, and Egyptian and Ethiopian cultures.

But you still have not answered the question. what evidence do you have that formed your conclusion?

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is not a court of law and you are not my judge. I will write whatever I want. If I am on your "do not take this one serious list", that is an honor.
Never said this was a court of law. Yes you can write whatevver silliness you wish here! But you are in the court of public opinion amongst believers.

I have just been asking what evidence you have to form your opinion that it was Pauls intent just to address a Corinthian issue.

Well you can be honored, but all here know you just wrote something and have nothing to support your claim other than you r opinion so far.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul has given a direct command here.
Paul is not saying to follow him but to follow God i.e. that is working through him.

What Paul speaks he speaks with Gods authority.
Paul is Inspired. God chose him as Gods spoke piece.
Paul was commanded by Jesus to...
Matthew 28:20,
- teaching them to observe ALL things whatsoever I have commanded you and lo I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world Amen

Acts 1:8,
- but ye shall receive power after that the Holy Spirit is come upon you and ye shall be witnesses unto Me both in Jerusalem and in all Judea and in Samaria and unto the uttermost part of the earth

What Paul says is Inspired.
Paul did not say "be ye followers of me as I also am of Christ if you want to"
Paul was commanding them to imitate Christ by following Paul's Inspired teaching.

Correct

Christs law. All are under all must obey.
I agree, I am just trying to see what the naysayers have as evidence to simply reject this practice out of hand.