Is it okay to empty for mind when meditating?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Meditation is okay, Psalm 19:

14 Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer.

No, Matthew 12:

43 “When the unclean spirit has gone out of a person, it passes through waterless places seeking rest, but finds none. 44Then it says, ‘I will return to my house from which I came.’ And when it comes, it finds the house empty, swept, and put in order. 45Then it goes and brings with it seven other spirits more evil than itself, and they enter and dwell there, and the last state of that person is worse than the first. So also will it be with this evil generation.”
By emptying the mind, I mean you create an empty spot in the mind, waiting for it to be filled by anything, while quieting the mind means to fill your mind with peace. Quieting the mind is okay.

Instead of emptying your mind, Philippians 4:

8 Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.
1 Corinthians 2:

16 for, “Who has known the mind of the Lord so as to instruct him?” But we have the mind of Christ.
See also Can Satan put thoughts into your mind?.

Reactions: Cassandra and Nancy

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Meditation is okay, Psalm 19:

No, Matthew 12:

By emptying the mind, I mean you create an empty spot in the mind, waiting for it to be filled by anything, while quieting the mind means to fill your mind with peace. Quieting the mind is okay.

Instead of emptying your mind, Philippians 4:

1 Corinthians 2:

See also Can Satan put thoughts into your mind?.
I agree. Fill your mind with something good--don't empty it and make it an inviting home for deceptions. Those who, like Hindus, wish to control their minds and thoughts, won't be able to remove evil from their minds. Sin is lodged in us, and the best way to overcome this natural inclination is by looking to the word of God, which commanded even Cain, "If you do what is right, will you not be accepted? But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must rule over it.” Gen 4.7

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Is it okay to empty for mind when meditating?​

The question is, can you?

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Is it okay to empty for mind when meditating?​

But not while driving, please.
Mind emptying is a myth; a premise from which all sorts of BS is constructed.
Even while you sleep your mind is active. The only ones with an empty mind are the dead!

Reactions: Lambano

Adrift

Apr 1, 2024
Houston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mind emptying is a myth; a premise from which all sorts of BS is constructed.
Even while you sleep your mind is active. The only ones with an empty mind are the dead!
When I meditate, I just envision a pastoral setting. Maybe a butterfly going from flower to flower in a field of beautiful flowers with a stream running through it. It doesn't clear my mind ,but it gives it a rest from the daily machine-gunning of images relating to my daily grind. It's my backdrop to quiet my mind and speak to the Holy Spirit.