Is hypnotism okay for Christians?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
There are different forms of hypnosis. Some decades ago, a famous hypnotist came to town. Out of curiosity, I attended the show. He asked for volunteers. I went forth, doubting that he would be able to hypnotize me. Well, he didn't pick me. I went back to my seat and watched him making some people bark like a dog, quack like a duck, hop like a rabbit, etc. People laughed. It was funny, I guess.

Is it okay for Christians to participate in this kind of hypnosis?

It is okay as long as it is for occasional entertainment and not habitual. The hypnotist did not induce the subjects to do anything they didn't really want to do.

There is also the Hollywood version of hypnosis. An evil master is able to dictate an innocent person to perform an act against his will upon hearing a special keyword (cue). Scientists disagree that hypnosis can do that. Hypnosis is not mind control. Christians should not engage in mind control.

There is hypnotherapy. In a hypnotherapy session, a trained therapist guides the willing subject to address his concerns, like stress, anxiety, phobias, self-esteem, bad habits, etc. It works on some people. In this case, the Christian patient should ensure the therapist is a fellow Christian brother.

Mind control is not okay. Christians should stay away from any entities trying to control their minds. In the case of hypnotherapy, it could be okay but be warned. 1 Peter 5:

8 Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.
Let the peace guide you. As for me, I would rather rely on Jesus than on a Christian therapist to overcome my personal problems.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are different forms of hypnosis. Some decades ago, a famous hypnotist came to town. Out of curiosity, I attended the show. He asked for volunteers. I went forth, doubting that he would be able to hypnotize me. Well, he didn't pick me. I went back to my seat and watched him making some people bark like a dog, quack like a duck, hop like a rabbit, etc. People laughed. It was funny, I guess.

Is it okay for Christians to participate in this kind of hypnosis?

It is okay as long as it is for occasional entertainment and not habitual. The hypnotist did not induce the subjects to do anything they didn't really want to do.

There is also the Hollywood version of hypnosis. An evil master is able to dictate an innocent person to perform an act against his will upon hearing a special keyword (cue). Scientists disagree that hypnosis can do that. Hypnosis is not mind control. Christians should not engage in mind control.

There is hypnotherapy. In a hypnotherapy session, a trained therapist guides the willing subject to address his concerns, like stress, anxiety, phobias, self-esteem, bad habits, etc. It works on some people. In this case, the Christian patient should ensure the therapist is a fellow Christian brother.

Mind control is not okay. Christians should stay away from any entities trying to control their minds. In the case of hypnotherapy, it could be okay but be warned. 1 Peter 5:

Let the peace guide you. As for me, I would rather rely on Jesus than on a Christian therapist to overcome my personal problems.
I have difficulty believing hypnotism is real.

O'Darby

Feb 17, 2024
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A large percentage of Christtians ARE hypnotized and just don't know it.