Is it wrong to want to die?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

sojourner4Christ

sojourning non-citizen
May 23, 2014
As a Christian is it wrong to want to die? My life has been terrible and full of torment (retire from the Navy in 2 years). I constantly ask God to let me die and bring me home, is this wrong? My wife gets mad at me but I am tired and life doesn't seem to get any easier, it just keeps getting worse.
Death is an enemy. Read about Death (and Hell) in Rev.

Fight that S.O.B., spiritually. And be a good steward, exercise Godly dominion, over that which is yours.

Like you, I’m (former) mercenary military (USMC, Vietnam era). The military system knows only to suck the life force out of everything. Your resentment is normal and natural. But your circumstance is redeemable.

If I recall correctly, you came to Christ after your enlistment. That’s an important distinction because, at that point, you became born again, a new creature in Christ. Priorities changed, maybe even inverted.

The enemy knows that you, through Christ, are set to do some damage to his kingdom. I would expect the spiritual warfare to rage in these final two years; it did for me when my discharge was imminent.

A side note: Are the next two years of your life worth “hanging on” for the sake of a retirement pension? Why not walk away from it now? I ask this because there is no amount of money in the world that would cover your sanity. Ask the King and then do what HE says.

The only thing that keeps me going is that I know God is real and I work for him.
AMEN brother!!!!!!!!!!! So don’t expect the enemy to sit back and watch the parade; he’ll be on your backside (but Christ is on your heart), so give ‘em Hell.

Enquirer said it well:

We your brothers and sisters here at Christianity Board are those witnesses and we have seen your good confession, now brother, take hold of the
eternal life to which you were called, and fight this good fight.
Remember that you have an enemy that wants to take you out, the question is now ...Are you going to let him or are you going to laugh in his face ?
And here’s a gem from River Jordan:

What do you think God would say if you asked Him what you should do with the rest of the life He has given you?
Even BlackManINC sees the end from the beginning:

Well, when I look at dumps like Liberia, the absolute worst place you can possibly be in, that automatically forfeits this planet as worth living on in my eyes and I personally can't wait to get off of it. Places like Liberia exemplifies why God needs to put an end to this world pronto.
I love you, brother Thunderkat. And it ain’t over ‘til it’s over. Stick around; Someone Special so obviously has plans for you.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul actually wrestled with the concept and so do I. I mean, be with Christ or be here on earth? Duh? !?!? Problem is, Jesus want's me here on earth. I know this is true, cause I'm still here. He might forgive me for checking out early, but I think it best to do his will and stick around until old age, a car wreck, kryptonite or whatever is needed takes me out. When God's done with me, he'll see to it that I go to paradise.

cristianprince67

Dec 14, 2014
Hello. I'm so sorry you feel this way and that you are in pain. I do have some advice for you. Here's an excercise that feels great and will fill your life with joy. Start a gratitude journal. Write down ten things everyday that you are grateful for. Use gratitude as much as you can, because once you do this, you shift your energy and your focus to the things you have and it changes your whole vibration. Once you are on a vibration of gratitude, God will give you more things to be grateful for and you will be happy. When I started this I was in rehab and I didn't like my situation, but two years later since I have been doing the gratitude journal and I feel like I am in heaven. Give it a shot. I hope this helps.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
A gratitude journal seems like an excellent idea Cristianprince67.

A practice I've recently adopted is making sure to thank God every day for at least one thing before going to bed.

We may disagree on the mechanics of how being thankful combats depression, but I believe it does.

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The journal is a great idea. If anything, I've learned in my trials, writing your thoughts down and getting them out of your head is actually really good therapy. Sticking to it is the problem.... But a gratitude journal, never thought of that. I like the idea. I may consider doing that myself.

As for the OP. There sometimes when professional help is the answer. But I also feel that coming to Christ and produce results you could never imagine. When you can feel HIs love and see things the way He meant for you to see them, it's an amazing ride. You are filled with hope. You know you have someone who is pulling for you when the rest of the world seems to walk on by. You are never alone even in your greatest battles. It's the Love of Christ, no substitute.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have suicidal thoughts frequently; it is true. My life has not been easy and I am not a strong person. Sometimes I really do not know how I will make it to the end of the day. Yet, I am still here and God still loves me. All I can do is continue to serve my neighbor in love, confess my sins to God and continue to run the race to win, until I can no longer continue.....

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
aspen said:
I have suicidal thoughts frequently; it is true. My life has not been easy and I am not a strong person. Sometimes I really do not know how I will make it to the end of the day. Yet, I am still here and God still loves me. All I can do is continue to serve my neighbor in love, confess my sins to God and continue to run the race to win, until I can no longer continue.....
I am praying for you...

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
I pray that things get better for you Aspen.

this-gospel

Dec 16, 2014
Thunderkat said:
As a Christian is it wrong to want to die? My life has been terrible and full of torment (retire from the Navy in 2 years). I constantly ask God to let me die and bring me home, is this wrong? My wife gets mad at me but I am tired and life doesn't seem to get any easier, it just keeps getting worse. The only thing that keeps me going is that I know God is real and I work for him.
Hi! I know how you feel bexause I was there once. This voice you are hearing is not of God. You need to talk with someone. This will really help. Confessing our is God's way to bring the things that are bad out of our system. Please talk to someone.