Is Joshua the Christ

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

precepts

Feb 24, 2008
Zec 6:11-13 Then take silver and gold, and make crowns, and set [them] upon the head of Joshua the son of Josedech, the high priest; And speak unto him, saying, Thus speaketh the LORD of hosts, saying, Behold the man whose name [is] The BRANCH; and he shall grow up out of his place, and he shall build the temple of the LORD: Even he shall build the temple of the LORD; and he shall bear the glory, and shall sit and rule upon his throne; and he shall be a priest upon his throne: and the counsel of peace shall be between them both. Is Joshua the Christ? if Eli (my god is) and Yah (I am) = Eliyah (my god is I am)and Elisha, sha being salvation (my god is salvation), then shouldn'tYahsha interpreted be "I am salvation" which according to the King James bible is the meaning of Joshua and Jesus. Could this be an error based on interpretation? 2Ki 2:11-12 And it came to pass, as they still went on, and talked, that, behold, [there appeared] a chariot of fire, and horses of fire, and parted them both asunder; and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven. And Elisha saw [it], and he cried, My father, my father, the chariot of Israel, and the horsemen thereof. And he saw him no more: and he took hold of his own clothes, and rent them in two pieces. 2Ki 13:14 Now Elisha was fallen sick of his sickness whereof he died. And Joash the king of Israel came down unto him, and wept over his face, and said, O my father, my father, the chariot of Israel, and the horsemen thereof. Mat 27:46-47 And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? Some of them that stood there, when they heard [that], said, This [man] calleth for Elias[Elijah]. John the baptist as Elijah, and Christ, Elisha - the two witnesses of Rev 11: Rev 11:3-12 And I will give [power] unto my two witnesses, and they shall prophesy a thousand two hundred [and] threescore days, clothed in sackcloth. These are the two olive trees, and the two candlesticks standing before the God of the earth. And if any man will hurt them, fire proceedeth out of their mouth, and devoureth their enemies: and if any man will hurt them, he must in this manner be killed. These have power to shut heaven, that it rain not in the days of their prophecy: and have power over waters to turn them to blood, and to smite the earth with all plagues, as often as they will. And when they shall have finished their testimony, the beast that ascendeth out of the bottomless pit shall make war against them, and shall overcome them, and kill them. And their dead bodies [shall lie] in the street of the great city, which spiritually is called Sodom and Egypt, where also our Lord was crucified. And they of the people and kindreds and tongues and nations shall see their dead bodies three days and an half, and shall not suffer their dead bodies to be put in graves. And they that dwell upon the earth shall rejoice over them, and make merry, and shall send gifts one to another; because these two prophets tormented them that dwelt on the earth. And after three days and an half the Spirit of life from God entered into them, and they stood upon their feet; and great fear fell upon them which saw them. And they heard a great voice from heaven saying unto them, Come up hither. And they ascended up to heaven in a cloud; and their enemies beheld them. Zec 4:8-14 Moreover the word of the LORD came unto me, saying, The hands of Zerubbabel have laid the foundation of this house; his hands shall also finish it; and thou shalt know that the LORD of hosts hath sent me unto you. For who hath despised the day of small things? for they shall rejoice, and shall see the plummet in the hand of Zerubbabel [with] those seven; they [are] the eyes of the LORD, which run to and fro through the whole earth. Then answered I, and said unto him, What [are] these two olive trees upon the right [side] of the candlestick and upon the left [side] thereof? And I answered again, and said unto him, What [be these] two olive branches which through the two golden pipes empty the golden [oil] out of themselves? And he answered me and said, Knowest thou not what these [be]? And I said, No, my lord. Then said he, These [are] the two anointed ones, that stand by the Lord of the whole earth. Jhn 3:27-30 John answered and said, A man can receive nothing, except it be given him from heaven. Ye yourselves bear me witness, that I said, I am not the Christ, but that I am sent before him. He that hath the bride is the bridegroom: but the friend of the bridegroom, which standeth and heareth him, rejoiceth greatly because of the bridegroom's voice: this my joy therefore is fulfilled. He must increase, but I [must] decrease.

Richard_oti

Mar 17, 2008
(precepts;42008)
Zec 6:11-13 Then take silver and gold, and make crowns, and set [them] upon the head of Joshua the son of Josedech, the high priest; And speak unto him, saying, Thus speaketh the LORD of hosts, saying, Behold the man whose name [is] The BRANCH; and he shall grow up out of his place, and he shall build the temple of the LORD: Even he shall build the temple of the LORD; and he shall bear the glory, and shall sit and rule upon his throne; and he shall be a priest upon his throne: and the counsel of peace shall be between them both. Is Joshua the Christ?
Yes, but not the Joshua spoken of in Zechariah. The Joshua spoken of in Zechariah is of Levi, he is the High Priest cf Hag 2:4; Zech 3:1]. The Joshua spoken of in Zechariah was a 'type' or 'forerunner' of the Joshua that was yet to come. For he was both High Priest and given the crown.The Joshua to come would be of the tribe of Judah. He also is both King and High Priest upon the throne. He is indeed building the temple of YHVH even as we speak.(precepts)
if Eli (my god is) and Yah (I am) = Eliyah (my god is I am)and Elisha, sha being salvation (my god is salvation), then shouldn'tYahsha interpreted be "I am salvation" which according to the King James bible is the meaning of Joshua and Jesus. Could this be an error based on interpretation?
In Hebrew:Eli = My God. El being God and the 'I' [hireq yod] suffix being the possessive pronoun 'my'. Therefore 'Eli' = 'My God' rather than 'my god is' as you are presenting.Yah = As a masc. n. is simply a shortened form of YHVH. In PBH it meant 'woe'. As a suffix in BH it also serves as a contraction of YHVH. In NH it is used to form nouns with a meaning of 'a place for' or 'occupation of'. It appears within the Scriptures before verbal nouns, that is, nouns formed from verbs. The Arabic equivalent of this suffix is -iyya[h]. YHVH is a verbal noun. The Yod would be the equivalent of the sing. third person masc. conjugation of the verb HVH. FYI as a side note: In Hebrew the 'ah' [Qamets Hey] ending may also express direction. Such as 'to home' or 'into town'. To treat Yah as being 'I am', I can see no possible manner in which to do so. For as a verb a 'Ya' [Yod Patakh] prefix remains as being third person masc.. IE: 'he'.You seem to be deriving this from the verb in Shemot [Exodus] 3:14 root form being HYH [hayah]. As above, in the conjugation of the verb HYH, to YHYH, we arrive at a third person masc. position.In Shemot 3:14 it is: 'ehyeh 'asher 'ehyeh [AHYH AShR AHYH]. Being the first person masc. future tense. The root verb HYH [to be] is something that we could discuss at great length.To sum up: In Hebrew, one can not treat 'yah' as a stand alone, prefix nor as a suffix as "I am".As for Elisha: While it is generally understood as 'My God saves / God is salvation' it can also be rendered/mean 'God helped'. EL being God and YShA being a conjugation of ShVA [cf H7768-7773]. Also see YShA [cf H8668 / H3467].I am not sure, but it seems you may possibly be hinting toward the 'Jesus/Joshua' translational issue, of which is merely more of a transliterational issue from Greek to Latin to English of which I can show the merit of such translation with regard to Iesou/Iesous/Iesoun and the Greek declensions thereof.As for Yehoshua / 'Yahsha' [sic]: IMO it can not be interpreted as you are suggesting above with "I am salvation".I do hope this may be of some help.(precepts)
John the baptist as Elijah, and Christ, Elisha - the two witnesses of Rev 11:
I see where you are attempting to take this. However, take note of the attributes of the two witnesses. If you study it out, you will clearly see them, for the attributes of the two witnesses are only possessed by two others within the Scriptures. However, I shall leave this for your own study currently.Also, the witnesses attest to the King / Kingdom. The King has no need to be his own witness [even though He can]. As you further quote in Zechariah 4:14, they stand before the King [Lord]. Therefore one of these is not the King [Christ] as you are alluding unto above.In His love,Richard

Jerusalem Junkie

Jan 7, 2008
(Richard_oti;42026)
Yes, but not the Joshua spoken of in Zechariah. The Joshua spoken of in Zechariah is of Levi, he is the High Priest cf Hag 2:4; Zech 3:1]. The Joshua spoken of in Zechariah was a 'type' or 'forerunner' of the Joshua that was yet to come. For he was both High Priest and given the crown.The Joshua to come would be of the tribe of Judah. He also is both King and High Priest upon the throne. He is indeed building the temple of YHVH even as we speak.In Hebrew:Eli = My God. El being God and the 'I' [hireq yod] suffix being the possessive pronoun 'my'. Therefore 'Eli' = 'My God' rather than 'my god is' as you are presenting.Yah = As a masc. n. is simply a shortened form of YHVH. In PBH it meant 'woe'. As a suffix in BH it also serves as a contraction of YHVH. In NH it is used to form nouns with a meaning of 'a place for' or 'occupation of'. It appears within the Scriptures before verbal nouns, that is, nouns formed from verbs. The Arabic equivalent of this suffix is -iyya[h]. YHVH is a verbal noun. The Yod would be the equivalent of the sing. third person masc. conjugation of the verb HVH. FYI as a side note: In Hebrew the 'ah' [Qamets Hey] ending may also express direction. Such as 'to home' or 'into town'. To treat Yah as being 'I am', I can see no possible manner in which to do so. For as a verb a 'Ya' [Yod Patakh] prefix remains as being third person masc.. IE: 'he'.You seem to be deriving this from the verb in Shemot [Exodus] 3:14 root form being HYH [hayah]. As above, in the conjugation of the verb HYH, to YHYH, we arrive at a third person masc. position.In Shemot 3:14 it is: 'ehyeh 'asher 'ehyeh [AHYH AShR AHYH]. Being the first person masc. future tense. The root verb HYH [to be] is something that we could discuss at great length.To sum up: In Hebrew, one can not treat 'yah' as a stand alone, prefix nor as a suffix as "I am".As for Elisha: While it is generally understood as 'My God saves / God is salvation' it can also be rendered/mean 'God helped'. EL being God and YShA being a conjugation of ShVA [cf H7768-7773]. Also see YShA [cf H8668 / H3467].I am not sure, but it seems you may possibly be hinting toward the 'Jesus/Joshua' translational issue, of which is merely more of a transliterational issue from Greek to Latin to English of which I can show the merit of such translation with regard to Iesou/Iesous/Iesoun and the Greek declensions thereof.As for Yehoshua / 'Yahsha' [sic]: IMO it can not be interpreted as you are suggesting above with "I am salvation".I do hope this may be of some help.I see where you are attempting to take this. However, take note of the attributes of the two witnesses. If you study it out, you will clearly see them, for the attributes of the two witnesses are only possessed by two others within the Scriptures. However, I shall leave this for your own study currently.Also, the witnesses attest to the King / Kingdom. The King has no need to be his own witness [even though He can]. As you further quote in Zechariah 4:14, they stand before the King [Lord]. Therefore one of these is not the King [Christ] as you are alluding unto above.In His love,Richard
Yep I am going to like this fellow. Great post.

Jackie D

Mar 15, 2008
(Two;42072)
Yep I am going to like this fellow. Great post.
Phillip meet Richard. Richard meet Phillip
rolleyes.gif

Richard_oti

Mar 17, 2008
(Jackie D;42109)
Phillip meet Richard. Richard meet Phillip
rolleyes.gif

Nice to meet you Phillip. Any friend of Jackie's has to be a good guy. It is an honor to meet you.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
I might also point out here that the Words on the cross was also Christ teaching us they were too lead one two Psalm 22 where it been prophisized hundreds of years (perhaps a thousand years)before hand How Christ would die right down to the casting of lots for his clothes he was teaching he was the fulfillment of this prophecy and was infact the Christ foretold of Psalm 22 1 My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far from saving me, so far from the words of my groaning? 2 O my God, I cry out by day, but you do not answer, by night, and am not silent. 3 Yet you are enthroned as the Holy One; you are the praise of Israel. [a] 4 In you our fathers put their trust; they trusted and you delivered them. 5 They cried to you and were saved; in you they trusted and were not disappointed. 6 But I am a worm and not a man, scorned by men and despised by the people. 7 All who see me mock me; they hurl insults, shaking their heads: 8 "He trusts in the LORD; let the LORD rescue him. Let him deliver him, since he delights in him." 9 Yet you brought me out of the womb; you made me trust in you even at my mother's breast. 10 From birth I was cast upon you; from my mother's womb you have been my God. 11 Do not be far from me, for trouble is near and there is no one to help. 12 Many bulls surround me; strong bulls of Bashan encircle me. 13 Roaring lions tearing their prey open their mouths wide against me. 14 I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint. My heart has turned to wax; it has melted away within me. 15 My strength is dried up like a potsherd, and my tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth; you lay me in the dust of death. 16 Dogs have surrounded me; a band of evil men has encircled me, they have pierced [c] my hands and my feet. 17 I can count all my bones; people stare and gloat over me.

precepts

Feb 24, 2008
Maybe someone else might benefit from this post so I'll leave it up for food for Thought. You can lead a horse to water but ...................