Is Jungian Psychology compatible with Christianity?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
No, according to the following from GotQuestions.org:

Jung’s acceptance of spirituality is refreshing to some Christians. However, Jung does not suggest that there is any truth to be found in spirituality; it is simply a means of connection with the collective unconscious. Jung saw spirituality as a personal, mystical experience. This is clearly at odds with biblical teaching. Faith is not just a personal, mystical experience; it is founded in the truth of God.
Jung was somewhat noncommittal about the nature and existence of evil. At times he seemed to trivialize evil or explain it away. Other times, he spoke of evil and good co-existing, and even suggested that Satan be added to the Godhead! Jung’s thoughts are clearly unbiblical here. Evil does exist, but it is separate from God
I am not dismissing psychology wholesale. I am for whatever works. Then I assign a weight to it. If it contradicts the Bible, then I place a lesser weight.

Starise

Dec 8, 2023
Christiana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would agree with you here that there were and maybe are some mystical elements to some of this which were/are not good. Jung was the personality type I am which doesn't exactly make me feel any better about any of it.

That certain personalities have been given definitions to identify them has been streamlined and improved over the years since Jung. I believe this is a fairly accurate science to make these classifications. Dealing with mental illness is another category, and when at one time a lobotomy was cutting edge, about Jung's time actually, I think we should have pulled away into real science on this by now, yet same as Darwin is often referred to as a bedrock for his line of study, so is Jung. In both cases I believe we have examples of gross error that can easily be discounted.
Rudders steer ships and Jung's "rudder" was clearly suspect.

Reactions: TonyChanYT

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

APA IS HAVING A MENTAL BREAKDOWN​

Catholic League president Bill Donohue comments on the APA’s endorsement of sexual libertinism:
"It is becoming ever more clear that those who run the American Psychological Association (APA) are suffering from a mental breakdown. It is now promoting “relationship anarchy,” as well as other dysfunctional behaviors. To the APA, about the only deviant sexual behavior that is left in American society is what most of us would call normal heterosexual monogamous unions...."

".....Ten years ago a book was released by three psychologists, Nicholas Cummings, William O’Donohue, and Janet Cummings, titled Psychology’s War on Religion. I contributed the chapter, “The War on Catholicism.”

I quoted Freud as saying “my real enemy” is “the Roman Catholic Church.” I also detailed Jung’s pathological hatred of the Catholic Church. Many other wizards in the field who shared the same bias were discussed as well. Make no mistake about it, there is a direct line between this kind of thinking and the APA’s embrace of “relationship anarchy.”

Let’s face it, the APA leadership is actively pushing the radical gay agenda, the goal of which is to eradicate the cultural basis of Western civilization, namely the Judeo-Christian ethos. Their ideology is so entrenched that they are unable to see the psychological and social damage that is done to everyone, especially women and children, when a sexual ethic based on restraint is destroyed. And have they not learned of the body count attributed to lethal sex practices?

The APA is not a scientific body—it is an activist organization in service to sexual libertinism.

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am not dismissing psychology wholesale.

Psychology is not a part of the Gospel.

It is the wisdom of men trying to solve problems without the Lord's input, apart from the Lord.

I am for whatever works.

Some have gotten in to practicing the occult and claim it helped them be at peace.

Since it worked for them, should we try it but just give it a lessor priority?

WHY can't we stick to what God's Word teaches and be set apart unto Him exclusively and not dabble in the wisdom of men which many do just because "they" claim it's what is acceptable and normal?

2 Corinthians 6:17
Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,

The wisdom of men is... unclean!

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Psychology is not a part of the Gospel.

It is the wisdom of men trying to solve problems without the Lord's input, apart from the Lord.

Some have gotten in to practicing the occult and claim it helped them be at peace.

Since it worked for them, should we try it but just give it a lessor priority?

WHY can't we stick to what God's Word teaches and be set apart unto Him exclusively and not dabble in the wisdom of men which many do just because "they" claim it's what is acceptable and normal?

2 Corinthians 6:17
Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,

The wisdom of men is... unclean!

Psychology is not an attempt to save a person from their sins, but an attempt to enable a sick mind to be healed.

We need wisdom to know who to listen to, who to accept advice and help from, often those helping, advising us are not Christian.

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Psychology is not an attempt to save a person from their sins, but an attempt to enable a sick mind to be healed.

We need wisdom to know who to listen to, who to accept advice and help from, often those helping, advising us are not Christian.

Yes, and psychology is man's attempt to heal sick minds... without God's input, rejecting God's wisdom using the wisdom and reasoning that comes from the blind mind of mankind. Nothing more than the blind leading the blind.

In other words, psychology is nothing more than carnal minded garbage that helps very few and the ones it does help... they still end up in hell so it's as useless as teats on a boar hog! agree.gif

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Even if you are against the scripture, you may be resurrected as an object of condemnation.

That's hilarious... you think I'm going to hell because I reject wisdom that comes from the blind mind of man kind such as... psychology

God's Word is not psychology, it is Truth!

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, and psychology is man's attempt to heal sick minds... without God's input, rejecting God's wisdom using the wisdom and reasoning that comes from the blind mind of mankind. Nothing more than the blind leading the blind.

In other words, psychology is nothing more than carnal minded garbage that helps very few and the ones it does help... they still end up in hell so it's as useless as teats on a boar hog! View attachment 39042
A d exactly the same can be said about all medicine, engineering etc etc.

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A d exactly the same can be said about all medicine, engineering etc etc.

Yep. Unless they are Christians seeking the leading of the Lord based on His Word... it's garbage.

Like so called "climate change"... what a farce! Fake science thru gas lighting!

A global network of over 1800 scientists and professionals have made public declaration that there is NO Climate Emergency

These are some the brightest minds in the world - Read more at: https://clintel.org/world-climate-declaration